Has anyone taken Amazon off and what was the results?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

I don't make very much from Amazon, I'm considering taking it off...any advice?

1. iQwest profile image49
      iQwestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had a handful of product Hubs that I had to revise per the recent changes implemented at HubPages.

I haven't noticed any real changes in my Hub traffic in reducing the number of Amazon capsules and completely removing or reducing the news capsules.

My Amazon earnings have absolutely tanked since the Panda update.  My Adsense has been all over the place.  Mostly lower due to lower traffic, but clickthrough rates are holding steady when you average the days out as it's been much more volatile of late!  In fact, my earnings over the last four days are more than double what I earned the first 10 days of this month.  I haven't joined the HubPages Ad program yet, so the Google ads aren't competing with anything other than Amazon.

On one personal blog, I greatly reduced the number of Amazon links I had on the site (more than two weeks back) and haven't noticed even the slightest improvement in ranking, organic search views, or any other quantifiable improvement.

As Mikeydoes noted, where it seems appropriate, I do like the Amazon capsules as it gives you the chance for earnings even if it isn't specific to what you're selling.  In fact, one of my top singular Amazon sales was related to a product I've never mentioned anywhere, on anything I've ever written.  Clearly, I received that sale simply through my tracking ID staying with someone who clicked from my Hub over to Amazon.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Sorry about this 'answer' in advance Brie.  I made virtually nothing from Amazon leading up to the slap.  Therefore it wasn't a hard decision to remove most of my Amazon modules.

It felt kind of cathartic - I'm not a merchandiser anyway.  And somehow my pages are now more honest, more in tune with what I think a searcher might want.

My only income now - income - hah - I jest - are a few cents from the HP program.  No Adsense clicks - gone completely.

But my only hope for traffic comes from people liking what they see - less adverts - more chance of being shared, liked, etc.

You write quality stuff.  Does what I said make any sense?

Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, I have never made more than $18.00 in a month from Amazon.  I've made a lot more from Adsense...which is why I'm thinking of removing it.  Thanks for writing.

3. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 13 years ago

My Amazon earnings have plummeted, NO sales so far this month. I am wondering that with the problems with AdSense CTR when HubPages Ads are used in conjunction may also be present when using Amazon in conjunction with AdSense.

Because of the problems I faced earnings-wise with AdSense with the HubPages ad program, I disabled HubPages ads.

I wish I could disable Amazon ads on hubs instead of completely removing them.

If you do this test, PLEASE keep me updated on what it does for your AdSense CTR (without revealing your CTR, which is against AdSense TOS.) Just whether it goes up or down, I'm sooo curious.

I will.  I disabled Hubpage Ads because I like how I can analyze my ads with Adsense and I make more with Adsense.  Although I might enable them again just to get the $50.00 I have in the account!  smile

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Before the panda hit us, I had a clutch of Amazon sales hubs that were doing OK for both Amazon and Adsense.

Even though my Amazon earnings have gone down by two thirds, I'm still not going to give up on Amazon yet.  Unless HP makes the Amazon capsule rules even more draconian that is.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Strangely enough, once I took off the HP Ad Program, my Amazon underwent a resurgence - it is too early to say if there is a link, but I will experiment further.

Of course, that was before Panda rolled out to the rest of the world - that might completely change things hmm

3. Cyber Scribe profile image71
      Cyber Scribeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could disable Amazon ads on hubs instead of completely removing them.

You can disable Amazon ads. Go to your hub, go into edit mode, click on edit an Amazon capsule and then click on Don't display this capsule

1. melbel profile image94
        melbelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for showing me this. I was kind of hoping for something account-wide.

4. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I would recommend using Amazon in almost all of your hubs. It only takes 1 click to make any amount of money. If your traffic increases so will your sales. Believe me.

5. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Amazon was always my big earner before the slap, so it has always gotten a rather prominent position on my hubs. Now...last month I went almost the entire month without any sales, then had quite a few right near the end of the month. I'm hoping that repeats itself this month, since it's two sales so far.

In other words -- no, I've never once considered removing Amazon, but if the lack of sales on that count keeps up I may try re-arranging my hubs to give eBay a little more preference and see what happens.

6. Brie Hoffman profile image60

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't see why unless HP's theory that too many ads is what Google used during Panda I and II.  If that proves to be the case, then I would seriously think about it. 

If there is little correlation, then I would keep them on and cross your fingers for as many clicks in as possible.

7. Brie Hoffman profile image60

8. Brie Hoffman profile image60

9. Brie Hoffman profile image60

Ok, well this is interesting.  I took off all the ads except 4 for some books off one of my best hubs "How Much Does It Cost to go Off the Grid" and I have received a lot of clicks today..an unusually high amount and google analytics has this hub receiving a high amount.  So far 18 clicks today, which is really good for me.  Soooo now I think I'll try it with another hub and see what happens to that one.

10. fastfreta profile image73
    fastfretaposted 13 years ago

I made very little money from my Amazon ads in two years, so I removed all but the ones that I got sales from.  However, I didn't see any difference in overall traffic to my hub. So I'm considering putting more back up, to see if it will increase my sales. hmm

What I saw could have been a fluke.  Who knows, it's so hard to know.

11. shogan profile image78
    shoganposted 13 years ago

Brie--I saw no difference in traffic or Adsense clicks after removing Amazon capsules from certain hubs.

What's driving me crazy, though, is how many Amazon clicks I get with no purchases.

12. Brie Hoffman profile image60

Well hmmm...just got 19 ordered items on Amazon after nothing all month, now I am rethinking this.

13. Brie Hoffman profile image60

Sometimes I feel like a blind person feeling there way around in the dark.

14. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

I made nothing from Scamizon so I got rid of it too.

15. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I have received a 19% increase in the number of clicks in the last 7 weeks.

This is comparing my old HubPages CTR with my new one. Could be a fluke, but those are my numbers. I removed Amazon from most, but not all of my hubs. I still do make some sales on Amazon, but not as many. I think the change was worth it.

Let me know if you see a change.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)