I've got a job I've got a job I've got a job I've got a job,

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (76 posts)
  1. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I cannot believe it, i just cannot.  I have just received a phone call offering me a job, teaching creative skills for headway, i was recommended by someone who has seen me work with the elderly before.  I will be working for Headway, with a small group recovering from head injuries,  This is a miracle for me, as i decided to get 100 % over my dad's death before i looked i am so happy, i cannot believe it, it is well paid tooooooo hooray

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow...congrats....i get that you are excited and happy..wonderful...i am happy for you...

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Someone i know teaches first aid in college.  I am kind of afraid of colleges and things,  but she recommended me, and told them i have had work published in magazines, and can teach poetry, and all crafts, which of course i can....... but i never thought of myself as working in college.   I am actually scared of them..... but i am so happy for this opportunity.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i can understand how you feel...but i think you would do well considering the job is about what you are interested in and what you know well...dont worry...you would be fine...

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Joy! A bit of good news is always nice for motivation for us, but also even better for you! Well done!

1. Joy56 profile image67

Hi nice to see you, the artist right..... I hope i have the right person.  I am glad to see you here, as i felt sad when you said you were leaving, i looked at all your work, you are a great artist....

1. waynet profile image68

I'm taking a year out of publishing new hubs here and see what happens after that! cheers for the mention of my art and well done on the job again!!!!

1. Joy56 profile image67

thanks nice you are still with us in the forums

1. waynet profile image68

Yeah, I'll always keep checking on the forums! there are too many interesting people here not to!

1. Joy56 profile image67

tell me about it....... it is magnetic

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Joy! smile

4. tritrain profile image69
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Joy!!

That's great to hear! 

Now go show them what a great employee you are...!

1. Joy56 profile image67

yep i hope to get some new clothes tooooooo

5. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That just put a smile all over my face, such an great oppertunity could not have happened to a nicer person! I wish you all the best with it and know you will enjoy a job that lets you embrace your passion for kindness and helping others, fantastic stuff!

1. Joy56 profile image67

thankyou so much, it has given me a  new lease of life.  I have been watching interviews on line from young people recovering from severe head injuries.  There will be a never ending amount i can do to help as well as the few hours i will get paid for.  It is indeed a great opportunity, i am hoping it will also help me in my writing.

6. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulation Poetess.
      I hope HP gives you a good trainig too, because it looks like there's some strong cases of "head injury" around here.
      hehehe

1. Joy56 profile image67

really,

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Congrats to you Brenda.. make the most of the opportunity and get your life back smile

3. futurenetads profile image60
    futurenetadsposted 13 years ago

congrats

4. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Now i will have something to write about..... just been researching headway's work...... I have worked with people with head injuries before, long ago, in a care situation, this is in a college, and they are offering training and everything.... i will get my life back, thanks so much.  I am on top of the world, cannot believe it.,

5. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

What brilliant news - and it's an even bigger boost when someone actually recommends you!

6. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I know, and she said when she showed her boss, they said "Hold on to her," as they have day care centres also, my work at the college will only be one day..... But it is great experience.

I  have worked in a nursing home doing recreational therapy and with brain injuries before.  Most of them were not going to recover.  This be wonderful, as they are recovering, and i can have a huge share in their recovery, as i work along with families too,

Hope i do not get too big headed ha ha.......  I will have to find out more about the company now, and about recovery from brain injury etc..... it's a whole new concept for me.....  it will be lovely to get their writings also, usually they have so much to say in a poem, i will enjoy helping them express their emotions..   And i can even teach them basic computers.....  Cant wait to meet the group i have, i do not start til May....

7. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Congrats Brenda and good luck!

8. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

thanks so much, i was so stressed in my last job, and unhappy with the way the residents were treated, i left without really thinking of consequences, and have been unemployed for some time.  Local authorities have closed that home down this week, i am glad i was not there when that was happening, it is upsetting for residents families and staff.

9. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Congrats and nice to hear an UP story anywhere lately - maybe the world is on the turn !  big_smile

Well done and lets hear how it goes on as it goes along !

1. Joy56 profile image67

maybe the world is on a turn, it was such a surprise, as i was determined not to look for a job, as i thought i would not get one, love the avatar...... and thanks, x

10. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Congratulations and thanks for bringing a ray of sunshine to what has become the doom and gloom of the forums! smile

11. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Yeah it is nice to hear good news, Thanks so much, the forums are lightening up a little, we have jokes flying around.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Congratulations smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

thanks so much, i always love to see you around, you are kind and such an expert at the writing game...... Love Brenda.

13. cindi h profile image62
    cindi hposted 13 years ago

smilesmilesmile CONGRATULATIONS! You deserve it. Good Luck and keep your head high!

14. Eve Foss profile image71
    Eve Fossposted 13 years ago

When I went to work at  a college, I was terrified at first, too. Turned out to be one of the best working environments, ever! Congratulations!

1. Joy56 profile image67

thanks a lot.  I imagine it will be an interesting place alright, hob knobbing with the real teachers.  There will always be something going on for sure.  You never know i may get some further education..

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Joy! You deserve that one.

15. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

congrats!

..but i would decline the offer if I was you, as it will no doubt take away from your time on Hubpages

smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

I thought that would be a benefit for you.......

It is only one day a week to start with, then there are day care centres once i am trained.  I have not been writing hubs at all lately, but if i learn all about this new company , and about teaching in a college etc etc etc, i will be able to write some decent hubs..

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Congrats Brenda! It sounds very fulfilling. smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

I know can you believe it.

17. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

thanks Prettydarkhorse, that's kind of you.  I will let you all know how it goes.

18. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Congratulations, Brenda.  smile  It's always nice to see good news.  smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

absolutely, i have been surfing the net, reading all i can about recovery from brain injury.....  I think this will now be my chosen subject......

2. Joy56 profile image67

it's always nice to see you around Lisa, i am on cloud nine.  Can you believe when she rang she asked if i had any holidays booked for the Summer so she could be sure to mark them in her diary.  I am so delighted about all of this.

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Joy ...I am happy for you smile but we shall miss you smile

19. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Well done, Brenda!

1. Joy56 profile image67

well it is not quite sailing on one of your dream boats.  It is a huge leap forward for me, things had to start going right for me, i love to work, and this is exactly the kind of work i absolutely love.  I will gain much more than any of my students.  Just wish i could ring my mum and dad tell them, but sadly they are asleep in death, Even my sister is in Germany at her daughters and i haven't told her yet.......  Speak later, Camlo what did you're boss say about the hub and how did the wedding go.

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brenda!
        I like to think your Mum and Dad are looking down and feeling very proud of you. The main thing is, you'll be doing something you really enjoy.
        The wedding was boring - I find most of them boring, but I've been doing them at least a couple of times a month for the past 20 years. On Sunday I was working at the bar while we ferried people to and from a techno party, so that was fun. Today was a dinner for the Italians again - less said about that the better. Tomorrow I have the day off. smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

enjoy your day off............

20. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

The job to start off with is only one day, at college, then as i train i will go to day care centres.  I will never leave hub pages, and have been more active this last few weeks than ever. Thanks for caring.... I will always be around.

21. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/19.gif
    It's so nice to do something that you like and get money for it.
    Sometimes life gives us an unexpected gift.

1. Joy56 profile image67

i know thanks a lot, i love those jumping smilies, thanks for making me laugh

22. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

thats great news for you!
    I'm happy that you're happy!
    big_smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

I am happy that you are happy that i am happy. aw, lovely lets have some champers
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4302819_f248.jpg

even the cat is dancing

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4924484.jpg

23. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Congrats.  smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

thanks so much.........

24. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

@joy

I just heard a rumor… Did you get a job? lol

1. Joy56 profile image67

I did can you believe it do not still May, and only one afternoon teaching in the college, but then openings for day care centres etc.  I cannot wait to get into the work force once again. There are like no jobs around here at the moment at all

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once the foot is in the door the rest is soon to follow...  smile smile smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

tell me about it, headway is universal.....

did you see the discussion about your avatar, in the forum about avatars.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uh-oh… I shall look for it now...

25. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I found it and have replied. smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

better go and check it out..... have just been replying to your comment on my hub, wow you are everywhere.

26. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I forgot to ask, can I rub your head for luck Joy? I will need all the help I can get to find another job myself.

1. Joy56 profile image67

do you  not have a job at the moment. yes rub away of course.

1. NateSean profile image66
        NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very well done. Now I just need lady luck to kick me in the behind.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I lost my job on Friday.

1. NateSean profile image66
          NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear that.

27. Vickie Bovender profile image66
    Vickie Bovenderposted 13 years ago

Congratulations.  It's not often we get to do a job that is rewarding, is it?  I'm happy for you. smile

28. Debby Bruck profile image63
    Debby Bruckposted 13 years ago

Dear Brenda,
    I just stumbled upon your joyous job announcement and want to wish you the very best. In this economy and with so many unemployed you are one of the lucky ones.

Wishing you an educational and fulfilling experience. May the ride be smooth
    hugs
    Debby

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4362667_f248.jpg

1. Joy56 profile image67

Yes i am sure it will be educational.  I have worked with brain injuries before, but not with people that are expected to be able to recover, and work in the community again.  I am so looking forward to it

29. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

here is an update.

I haven't got a job i haven't got a job i haven't got a job.

The person that rang me, had to go meet with her superiors .........  they have now decided they have no funding for crative work, for headway.  She is now going to try to get funding another way, but then it will be just for the summer.  I am beginning to think that the kind of work, i do is never going to be funded in this climate.  I may volunteer, as at least i will be out and about, ah well i learned a lot about headway, and maybe the job is just postponed for until the summer.  I am going to take kids classes from next week

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't give up on this as a paid job, it is still likely to happen, even if only for a short period.  The people who drive these things (who initially contacted you) are good at getting funding if they have a viable thing and a viable person to do it - they are also normally hard working in a passionate kind of way.

If it does come off and is successful, as I am sure it would be, then you are 'in the system' and when this anything like this kind of thing comes up again you are already 'in the system' so to speak.  I know several people who are full time employed in this way and none of them know if any of the various contracts they have at any one time will continue past nextmonth or so - and it has been that way for years of continuous work !  It is just a fault of that particular funding system.

So hang in there and keep pushing your contacts  . . . big_smile

1. Joy56 profile image67

thanks so much, i am fortunate my hubby is working, and eventually i may jut volunteer if nothing comes up as paid work, these people should be getting all these things,it seems unfair there is not enough funding for them, and there are lots of people like me sitting around doing very little. 

ah well, communicating here is never a waste of time....... there is always something to learn, or discuss.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well...that sucks

3. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry they got your hopes up and then dropped them..I recently went through the same thing..
      I am going to stay semi- positive instead of fully positive for now on..lol hmm

30. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Hi Brenda! I seem to have missed your 'I haven't got a job i haven't got a job i haven't got a job' post. Really sorry to hear it, and I do hope they manage to obtain the funding necessary. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

31. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

oh that is rotten- i have been there too- axed before I started- but maybe it will lead to something better, that's what I am hoping

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)