Chicken Little in Congress

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 12 years ago

Rep. Tim Scott (R-SC)

"The worst part of it would be that if you indeed confiscated all the earnings of every single American making $100,000 or more per year... it not plug the ginormous hole left be liberal overspending.."

Scarey and comletely false. BTW, I found the quote online under this title

"Taxing those at $100,000 and up at 100% would not get us out of this year’s deficit"

Which is how weholdthesetruths plugged this story. So it's being actively promoted as a scare tactic.  Lets look at the numbers.

The projected defcit 2011 -1.65 Trillion
    (source Wall Street Journal)

Total personal Income US -12.5 Trillion
    (source US Department of Labor 2010)

Percent of aggregate income top 5% of personal income. -21.7%
    (source -US Census Bureau 2010)

Do the math. The richest 5% of Americans 'earned'  $2.7 Trillion in 2010. (21.7% of the total personal income, 12.5 Trillion.) The projected deficit is 1.65 trillion, or. roughly half the income of the richest 5%.

This one quote by a minor Chicken Little in the US House of Representatives would be unimportant except that it's typical of a string of lies, distortions and half-truths being pumped out by republicans to panic voters into permanently lower taxes for the rich. Any thinking person can see that lowering taxes can't possibly increase revenue or lower the debt. But that's what's being sold with huge ad campaigns. (Seen the futuristic one where the Chinese discuss the demise of America?  Ask yourself - Who PAID for that ad?)

The richest people in America are betting that you are a gullible fool. With outright lies and slick adds they are asking you to commit suicide by election.

Do yourself a favor and check the facts.

1. weholdthesetruths profile image60
      weholdthesetruthsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, please do.    The total taxable income in the US is nowhere near what you state it is.

Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went to statistics from US Department of Labor web site.

You consulted your belly button.

What will people believe?

2. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Both parties use the scare tactic when it suits them.  If fact you have done it yourself.

You call yourself "logic, commonsense" and can't point his lack, thereof?   

Think about this.   The entire federal budget of 3.6 or 3.8 or whatever size it is depending on the hour of whatever day your statistic comes from, is criticized for being ALMOST 25% of GDP.   Yet, this brainiac claims that just all our paychecks ALONE add up to 12.6 trillion. 

There's not a snowball's chance in the h e double hockeysticks that our combined paychecks are anywhere NEAR the total GDP.

Logic, anyone?

1. Maembe profile image59
          Maembeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Explain your "logic" please.  Why is the US Bureau of Labor Statistics incorrect?  What do the random facts you just stated have to do with anything?  Do you know even know what GDP is?

3. sn53Anon profile image60
      sn53Anonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You wrote, " Any thinking person can see that lowering taxes can't possibly increase revenue or lower the debt."

Except that we have a history. Every time it has been done the tax revenues have gone up. Every time.

Lowering the debt will occur of, and only if, we return to a constitutionally-based limited government.

That's obviously false. It's what the elder President Bush called "voodoo economics". It's also why the bulk of our national debt has been racked up under GOP presidents.

Look at what happened under Ronnie Raygun, the first to propagate that nonsense - the national debt went up 20.6%.

Want facts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_d … tial_terms

1. sn53Anon profile image60

Hi Doug, Despite your statements it is true. JFK's administration reduced the tax rates. And the economy grew.  Reagan did the same and the tax revenues almost doubled.

2. sn53Anon profile image60

\Hi Doug, look at this only if you have the courage to actually digest it and make it your own.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/fundmaster … e-revenue/

Your source cited a 'study' by the Heritage Foundation. Sorry. HF is a pure propaganda outlet. My source cites real facts.

The deficit went up...

1.7 Trillion under Reagan
            1.4 Trillion under the first Bush

It went DOWN...

1.6 Trillion under Clinton with higher taxes.

The deficit soared under Shrubbie -

4.63 TRILLION under Bush

With all due respect...
            ARE YOU INSANE?

1. sn53Anon profile image60

Hi Doug,

I think we shall have to agree to disagree. We are talking about two different things. I am speaking of the relationship between tax rates and tax revenues. There is an inverse relationship. As tax rates diminish the tax revenues go up.

You refer to debt. The party in power has control over that. So for Reagain it was the democrats who spent way more than we collected.

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Corporate America is sitting on 2 trillion dollars. They got their tax cut. They could care LESS about jobs.

After all, the poor things were so put-upon that WE had to PAY them to take jobs out of America! (tax breaks...big surprise,right?)
    Can't you just feel their pain?

If they cared at all about the deficit, why did they add to it???
    Can Trump ask them that? Oh right, I forgot...he's a Birther. Never mind.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know those fat cats!! God damn, I hate them so much!!

The other day, one said "crap, i have to hire more people because my business is getting larger!!"

I ACTUALLY saw a "help wanted" sign outside my local MULTI-BILLION INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIAL EVIL SATANIC McDonald's.

Those bastards wanted to hire ME?!!? GOD DAMMIT I HATE THEM!!! What the hell is this "$7.50 an hour" crap!! YOU'RE TRILLIONAIRES!!! I DEMAND at LEAST $50,000 / hour because YOU can afford it!

Who cares if that would make burgers cost $70 and put you out of business -- you're RICH, so no one cares!! GOD DAMMIT I HATE YOU!!!

Then you'd be POOR!! ONE OF US!! ... and...

... and i guess I'd have to stop hating you...

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, who'd have thought it!
        Macdonalds only sell less than one burger an hour!!

I wanted to comment, but I actually don't understand what you're trying to argue with that comment.

Well, your argument that paying burger flippers a living wage would mean that burgers would cost $70.
            It's only a rough estimate, it might be slightly more than one burger an hour, or it might be a bit less, but if paying $50 an hour is going to bump up the price to $70 a  burger then you can only be looking at very very low sales.

it was $50,000 /hour.

And, yes, the point was that with higher prices, demand can decrease to the point of 0.

Too true, but until that price is actually reached higher wages + higher prices will = higher profits.

Obviously selling burgers for $70 a throw would not sell many at all but if increasing wages a bit meant a more dedicated and harder working staff a price increase would probably not be necessary at all.

LOL!    I so wish you'd start a service business, a low profit, low skill, service business.    And then, keep it going a while, so that when you make some money, we can verbally abuse you for your greed and maltreatment of your employees, etc, etc.    True?  Who the hell cares?   You'd be a businessman and we have an eternal right to moralize and criticize and condemn you for anything we want to make up about you.

I happen to like love. And now I like you too. This was very funny.

Thank you.

3. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 12 years ago

One of the Teabagger troll suggested I just 'snipe' at people I disagree with.

I snipe at lies and the ammo is truth. Backed by hard facts. This is one example.

you've never known truth, fact, nor have you ever spoken a civil word.

Hi Doug,

You wrote,  "One of the Teabagger troll suggested I just 'snipe' at people I disagree with."

Okay. You did a few times. I have forgiven you. LOL. Friends?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)