Is college necessary?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (26 posts)
  1. whitney_185 profile image74
    whitney_185posted 13 years ago

I went to school, one year taking random classes trying to find an area I was interested in, one year getting all of my education hours for a license when I thought I found what I was interested in. Turns out, I wasn't all that interested. Not sure what I want to do next, but I don't think college will help me out. Did you go to school, and are you using your degree, or are you in the same boat as me?

1. Amywen profile image61
      Amywenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes,  College  degree  can  help  you  achive.

1. Amywen profile image61
        Amywenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I  try going to college  this fall . Hope can  help.

2. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the best thing to do is decide what you want to do next, then you'll know if you have to go to college to qualify to do it.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know numerous people who went to college for a specific degree and ended up working in a different field, but I am quite sure that 4 year degree helped them secure a job even though it was from a different field of study. A college degree speaks loudly and it can only help you. I would encourage any young person to at least get a two year degree.

whitney, I see by your profile that you are interested in sports, have you thought of studying in that field? If you google sports related degrees, maybe something sounds interesting to you.

4. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are numerous factors to take into consideration.  How much earning potential do you want?  What kind of work do you want to do?  Where do you want to live etc...? Normally college graduates make more money than non graduates. 

Additionally, college graduates normally have a little more debt in the beginning, depending on what avenue they use to finance their degree. 

Lastly, you don't want to specialize to much in one learning field, because that will limit the jobs available to you also.  Overall I think a college degree is necessary for the majority of people who seek a career with good earning potential.

I guess you really just have to ask yourself one question:

Do I feel lucky?  Well, do ya?

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I'm finally going to college now - took until my children are almost grown. (my youngest is 17)

Don't know how it'll help, unless I can decide what it is I want to do with my education and life. hmm

3. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 13 years ago

Nope- College is not necessary - unless your gonna be like, a doctor, or scientist or something that demands the degree - but there are many, many, avenues that can be taken in life which create seriously successful careers without that stupid college degree that the world is convinced of that everyone should have - its a bunch of hype is all -

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

They all say that theory and practice are different. You always have to ask yourself,"Why?" Do you need more money? Or do you feel unfulfilled and you need that degree to cover that void? I do not feel at this point that I even capable to go and study something seriously, to commit myself for 2-3 years to something. I feel tired and worn out. But I regret that I did not do it 10 years earlier, when I had a chance, I just missed it. College or no college the fact is you have to learn all your life, because everything changes so quickly.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I felt the same as you do now.  The only dif is, I lost my job and decided now was the best time to take a chance on going to college.  Because I want to, not because I feel I have to.

Absolutely no clue how it's going to help me in the long run...lol...but I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out!  smile

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it will take you somewhere, and that's the main thing.

5. whitney_185 profile image74

I have a hard time believing that college is the right choice for everyone, yet there's also the feeling of not achieving much for not finishing college, even though I'm happy with where I am.

When I was in school, I took a wide variety of classes and found getting a passing grade in a few of them to be ridiculously easy. Minimal effort, sometimes minimal attendance, and still an A. I mean, if it's that easy why not get one, but it seems like a slight waste of time when it's that easy since you're not REALLY learning all that much.

6. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I am NOT happy where I am and I will never will be. As long as I am alive I will be looking for something new in this amazing world I live in. I can never be content.

7. x3kat88 profile image60
    x3kat88posted 13 years ago

Yes go find out at college... talk to the consulor... you wont regrent it when you have your degree... Jobs without a degree are pretty hard to find... so good luck

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, jobs with a degree are even harder to find.

8. manlypoetryman profile image77
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

That "sheepskin" hanging on your wall in your office...tells folks that you were smart enough to study hours of tedious b.s. in order to get where you ar at now...and that you now know more b.s. then before you studied all that tedious b.s.

In the end run...they say that people with degrees make more over a lifetime. However...I'm still waiting for the final tally to come in on that one...lol

9. ImChemist profile image58
    ImChemistposted 13 years ago

Yes its necessary.

10. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

I went to junior college but unlike probably a lot of other people I got tired of what was expected of me and that expectation for a number of classes I had to be just like the instructor in mind, body and soul.  Try to bring a different spin to the assignment given which isn't to say that the article was different it was just looking at it from a different prospective-oh well you grade is going to suffer for that and if they're saying some you know isn't right you'd better not challenge them.

I really go tire of the trick questions from the test we were given.  The instructors know you could get the answer if they present the test like they did course but no they have twist the question where you could answer it in a single amount but it's written so plural amount is achieve it you spent enough time rereading the questions during testing time.

College may now be forced on people today but unless something has changed I didn't care for how course were being taught.

11. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Unless you specifically want to be a mechanic, carpenter or some other labor intensive job, an education is a good thing. Often, it doesn't really matter what you might major in college or university, your career path will take various turns and can be very different from what you originally majored.

Most employers are not really interested in the details surrounding your degree, but are more interested in the fact you have an education. It makes all the difference.

You may have already noticed a number of folks here are unemployed and have been for some time. You'll often find they don't have an education.

Grade 12 = flipping burgers. smile

12. whitney_185 profile image74

All of your replies have been good arguements either against or for college. What do you think about this? (Sorry, having trouble understanding how to link. I just found this on yahoo.com today)

url=http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/james-altucher's-8-alternatives-to-college-535903.html?tickers=COCO,APOL,ESI,DV,EDMC,STRA,^DJI

13. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 13 years ago

Your question " Is college necessary ? also begs the question " For what ? "...
    For me, college was a maturation, a development of pragmatism that provided a solid grounding in critical thinking...College, like most of life, is an experience that exhilarates some and is pure drudgery for others...Those fortunate to have found, early on, a passion for their selected field of study not only excel, but carry others along with their enthusiasm...Those are the folks you need to seek out and interact with...
    I agree with others here that have stated that college may not be for everybody, but for those that have the intelligence, passion, and persistence, college provides a platform for a disciplined and rewarding life...

14. Purple Perl profile image50
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

College education is definitely necessary. Earning a degree entitles you to respect, a good job and a better standard of living.

15. DonDWest profile image72
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

You should avoid college. It's a corrupt business that doesn't follow any sound economic fundamentals:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-College-Bubble

Get a library card instead.

16. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

There are sooo many factors to consider that this is just a difficult question to answer.

It depends on financial situations, employment goal... The majority I know would say "yes."  I'm not sure.

17. profile image52
    janecollinsposted 12 years ago

I think college plays an extremely important role in not just shaping your career, but also your personality. According to me, college degree programs provide you a sense of direction. However, it’s important to know your interests and aptitude before you head to college. I would strongly advise you to consider going back to school once you have figured out what you want to do.

18. ljv21 profile image62
    ljv21posted 12 years ago

To say either to go or not go to college is a double edged sword. There are perfectly reasonable arguments for each side. Does college get you a better job...yes and no...depends...does it help you further on in life...depends....will your life be easier if you go or not go...depends.

I can say this...college gives a good excuse for not entering the working world....let's face it studying is much easier and less stressful than working for a living.

The best reason, one that has no argument, is that going to college allows you to spend the time learning what may not present itself in an ordinary life and any education is a good thing...we never stop learning and giving yourself those few years to be educated rather than educate yourself is not such a bad thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)