Analysis of Site Reforms and Author Treatment

Jump to Last Post 51-79 of 79 discussions (224 posts)
  1. humagaia profile image58
    humagaiaposted 12 years ago

Points noted.

Clarification: I had not intended that my comment be taken as a bleat about breaches of contract. I merely meant to bring to light that I had read a comment in the forums that there may be an issue of breach.

But it does seem to me that it is HP that is bringing 'breaches' to the fore. These VOT (violations of terms) notices in hubs and via e-mail are just that. And since we have not been fully informed of the entirety of the new TOS, other than via these means of communication, I am dubious as to the veracity of the position in which HP places itself.

I. for one, do not check each of my hubs on a regular basis. I have better things to do, like a living to earn. Placing warnings there, expecting me to know about them is not reasonable - the communication has not been delivered to me properly. To then unpublish because I have not seen the communication is disingenuous, at best.

But this is all moving away from the thread topic, so I apologise for that..

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No problem!

Personally I think we all need to learn a lesson - writers and authors. Discussing things like this in a public forum and as a free for all is never going to be constructive.

I'd like to see a professional forum setup with staff and perhaps 6-12 hubbers where an open and honest discussion can be had - there are many experts on here who would be open to this type of forum and the combination of the 'owners' and those that use the site discussing ideas can only be beneficial - at the end of the day the 'owners' can do what they like - but to succeed in Business you have to listed to objective views and act accordingly...

2. humagaia profile image58

PD - you are right. Time for me to STFU. I'll not try to assist. HP obviously need no assistance in their 'get out strategy'. They are doing sterling work on getting those that feed them to F off.
    Unfortunately, by taking their advice, it is causing what was a great site, to become a mediocre to poor site. If that is the HP strategy, then it is time for us to speed up the process and all hubbers should F off.
    I, personally, would prefer that HP halts the decline and recovers somewhat to the standing that it once had. If they continue on their present path then, sadly, I can not see this happening.

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Having read a number of the other threads that have been going around for the last couple of weeks I can see that a large number of people are not being treated fairly and there complaints have been met with quite rude responses!
    What I have read has seriously made me pause for thought...

I am not currently planning to publish any more hubs until all of this settles down, it seems to me that the rules change weekly and it is not 100% clear what the rules are..
    I have rss feeds on my hubs which promote my other hubs, I see from other threads that these are considered unrelated links and i should be receiving my email shortly! I have in some ways already remedied this myself some time ago and through the use of tags produced feeds that were subject related as my hubs are all part of fairly large groups - but now they will probably be picked up as having "unrelated tags" from what others are writing!

This is a "writing site" i believe where authors should be able to promote their own content!

Or is this a site to attract writers that want to make money, after all if you log into hubpages.com what is the first thing you see? "xyz has made $1200 per month by writing on hubpages, do you want to do the same?"
    Is xyz still making that much money? Has xyz had her hubs unpublished for being over promotional etc???
    Sorry miss xyz I don't mean to single you out, it is just that HP are promoting this site as somewhere to make money using your name! Are you still making $1200 per month if you read this??

If this is a site to make money for the author and for HP, then there a few highly prolific writers that must clearly make a significant proportion of HPs money for them, as well as a small number of highly skilled SEO experts who promote their pages in such a way as to make good money! But some are leaving such as Misha!
    This not only reduces the money that HP makes but also causes the site to have problems in the eyes of Google - there will be many lost backlinks as well as many broken links to and within this site! This will cause us all problems!
    I would have thought with the relatively small number of hubber that we are talking about with many hundreds of hubs  that the staff at HP could have relaxed the rules for them a little and allowed them extra time to conform to the new rules - however they are being told that they are not trusted to edit their hubs and have to wait 48 hours to have them manually reviewed and having hubs unpublished en-mass!
    This is hardly encouraging your golden geese to remain!!!!

The spending traffic to HP from the US has reduced to a third of what it was pre-panda, if we lose the hubs from our "highest" performing hubbers who had hubs that pulled in thousands of views daily that is going to be a significant proportion of those remaining views! I am sure other people would be better at doing the statistics!

Some have argued that it will be made back up by new hubbers, and new SEO experts, but if writers cant make money because the site has been destroyed by the exodus and expulsion of various people then why would they come here?

I like Hubpages, but I don't like how the staff are behaving and how people are being treated! Especially when many of the changes seem to have no bearing on how the site will perform!

Phew - I think that's it.... and I know my grammar is crap and I probably left a few spelling mistakes - I hope this post is not unpublished because of them!!!!

4. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

Looking forward to seeing you there PD.

But first you have to approve my facebook request to you.

Good to see you are still around. As you know, HP hasn't been much of a priority for the past 18 months or so.
    Guess you could say my early warning system was functioning :-)

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks mate.. will do.

I'm sure there is an exceptional opportunity on the horizon hmm

5. LeanMan profile image79

Ps.. lol

I follow quite a few people and receive my daily email of published hubs, which once upon a time would have dozens of hubs in it, some hubbers regularly publishing 2 or 3 hubs every few days... for the last few weeks it has been half a dozen or thereabouts..

What does that say about peoples thoughts about the site?

6. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think this statement somewhat parallels what has happened to many corporations and their employees in the last couple of years. Ask any unemployed person who worked for a company for 6+ years, helped build the company, brought in clients and revenue, and suddenly is handed a pink slip, 'we no longer need your services'. The employee is given no explanation other than the company is restructuring, downsizing, etc. in order to stay alive. The employee, while once considered a true asset, is not given special consideration because of longevity, client base, etc. Often times, his pension was lost, severance is non-existent. Bottom line, a business will do what it needs to do.

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Too true.
      It takes no time to come to the conclusion that the lofty "mission statements" of a business rarely match the reality of what actually happens in the workplace.

cheers, Eric G.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are not employees Rebekah, we are customers...

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know Mish, it's simply a parallel ~ no one is as viable as they may think, even if in truth, they helped to bring great success to a company.

2. humagaia profile image58
        humagaiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And pray show me the business model that is successful where a company gets rid of its best customers!

HP is breaking new ground here. I wonder whether any guru's have been spouting that BS.

3. Pearldiver profile image66

I agree... with One Exception.

A Great Business is a Business that DOES Consider it's people and as such, does not put those parties at risk intentionally, or with the arrogance of believing that the people who helped develop the business, have No Recourse when they are abused!

I believe in people and the ability of Great Business Leaders to develop and maintain Great Businesses through the mutually beneficial relationships that are forged in respect, transparency and common objectives. Interestingly, they were exactly the business models that survived the BS days that you refer to. THAT was also what HP promoted to people like me, when I joined... smile

Funny how things change when they get pinged for tens of thousands of pages of irrelevant links, adverts and misleading content.... That NONE Of Us Created or EARNED FROM.

@ ME.. If they don't have a plan - then they would be intentionally misleading all of us smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am completely out of my depth here.  I'll go and put a hub on the extreme criticism section instead.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
          Sufidreamerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your opinion is as valid as any other, Mark - we all have different skills and experiences and, therefore, different ways of seeing things. It is not always as simple as wrong and right!

To answer your question, I have seen little evidence of a long-term plan - I would have had much more respect for HP if I had seen a plan saying 'Things have gone a little pear shaped, but we are going to do X, Y, and Z.' That is leadership.

Instead, we have had half-arsed directives, HP creating a culture of blame, a lack of meaningful communication, and condescending, rude posts from staff in the forums. The PR has been amateurish and atrocious.

This isn't a good way to pull a business out of the crap - I have been there before and it doesn't end well sad

Thanks sufi - I'm quite glad I haven't been here longer - I would probably be really hacked off about it all.  I mean I am hacked off, but at Google rather than HP.
            Although, give me time - I expect I can get worked up enough to type a jolly angry message.

Perhaps you may have noticed how long the majority of people who have posted on this thread have been contributing positively to the future of this site.
              During that period some staff with excellent 'people skills' have for whatever reason left to be replaced by others of vastly lesser skills!
              Nice interview btw. smile

I have noticed and I wish I'd never entered the conversation.  A lot of top people seem to be very upset and I just thought I'd voice the angle of a novice. Not even as a wind up either - just a sort of I'm all right Jack musing.  Bit misjudged.

Thanks for the interview thing - I worked very hard on that. 

Message to self - stay out of topics you don't know much about.

Mark... Every One of us CARES about this place and we really have in the past promoted that out there, which has in reality created a lot of Kudos for HP... along with gaining them hundreds of newbies and not-so-newbies. This TRULY WAS an amazing site which was so, as a result of the closeness of the community of the day.

Since then.. we've had a Mechanic with the wrong tool in charge of HR.. if you know what I mean? smile

We all were as eager as you 5 months into our stint here. But since then we have had to contend with an autocratic management style that doesn't fit Creative and Talented People! Creative personalities are inspired by people who are also creative and more democratic, not autocratic with a disrespect for artistic nature... That nature is one of questioning etc. which to a Non Artistic person makes them feel insecure, so they feel challenged and want to respond aggressively! - Get the Drift? hmm

I get it.

2. thisisoli profile image69
                  thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't stay out of them, at least you are learning, I definitely was not trying to berate you, just point out why we are disgruntled.

It's all cool, I am not annoyed or feeling unloved - and at least I've kept bumping this thread.  I do understand the disgruntlement.

2. Sufidreamer profile image79

Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells (Don't know if you remember that one).

Despite the back and forth, nobody is saying that you should leave Hubpages in a huff - if it works for you, that is a good thing. smile

In fact, the latest newsletter hints that they may be reaching out to non-commercial writers, and you have already made friends and followers on here.

As SF pointed out, though, it would be a great idea if you set up your own blog or website - a writer with your comedic talents will soon build up a cult following. Whether you want fame and fortune, or you are content spreading a little mayhem around the world, it is good to have your own place.

Like moving away from your parents and renting a bachelor pad opposite a good pub big_smile

Like moving away from your parents and renting a bachelor pad opposite a good pub

Now that's the best I've heard on here!

Renting
                Bachelor pad
                Good pub

mmmmmmmmm

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some businesses take longer than others to rebound, looking quite differently than before. As far as warnings, etc., most companies give three written warnings and that's it.
        Time will continue to tell the story of HP. I hope it can smooth over these turbulent times, and believe in time that it will. It may take years.

off for now. peace, my NZ poet.

7. humagaia profile image58

And I hope for your, my and their sake that their strategy works.

I have my doubts.

8. LeanMan profile image79

If a company employs a thousand people and 5 people generate 95% of their profit which are the 5 people they most need to keep??

and how many thousands of new hubbers will it take to replace the shortfall of income / profit. And, for that matter, how long.

"Am I wrong in assuming that HP know what they are doing and have a plan?" - nicely constructed question - leave it up to us to do your dirty work for you - lol

I agree with Misha - HP would not be so stupid as intentionally to rid this site of successful hubbers, would they? - see what I have done there - back to you Mark!

9. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Please can I ask a question, as we have possibly drifted from the original topic?

Am I wrong in assuming that HP know what they are doing and have a plan?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Either you are wrong, or their plan is to get rid of successful hubbers. I vote for the former smile

2. Mrvoodoo profile image56
      Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Having given it a lot of hard thought, I'm having real trouble thinking of any good reason to keep publishing at HP.  For a few reasons.

1.  I don't want to waste time writing hubs, only to have them unpublished a year or so from now.  For flimsy reasons, with little notice.  The creation of a hub can take a significant amount of time, especially when you throw in backlinking off-site, etc. And HP have clearly shown that they don't value these efforts in the slightest.

2.  Yesterday, three members (possibly more)of the HP staff finally came out and told it like it is.  "Bend over and take it, with a smile on your face, or jog on".

I'll leave most of my current hubs up (for the time being, or until they get unpublished), but have no intention of writing any more.  And I will be bluntly honest in future, when somebody asks me: "Hey, what do you think of that HubPages site?" hmm

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that kind of did me in.

I don't consider myself a guest, a partner or an employee of HubPages. I am a customer. And a paying one at that. I PAY them by allowing them to use MY content for 40% of its life on HP. Anyone who thinks it's anything else is out of their mind.

And by wearing this "e" thingee, I have entered into an informal agreement to give them my valuable time free of charge each and every week to help out in some way on the site, and have done so for close to two years, both with and without the badge.

Now, would you like to ask me who I think should "bend over and take it?"

1. Will Apse profile image87
          Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The wonderful thing about Anglo culture is that doing the right thing eventually pays.

It's a tough lesson.

1. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Im pretty sure "Do the Right Thing" was a Spike Lee movie

1. Sufidreamer profile image79

Good movie smile

Must admit - I was delighted to get away from this 'Anglo Culture' - corporatism, stress, unhappiness, Little Englanders, and putting up with arrogant know-it-alls.

Much happier immersing myself in Greek culture - better weather, too.

1. recommend1 profile image60
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Immersing yourself in Greek booze and a Greek woman I suspect would be more accurate ???  big_smile

Seriously; "corporatism, stress, unhappiness, Little Englanders, and putting up with arrogant know-it-alls"  is about right.  By pinning everyone down with high taxes and local taxes and indirect taxes very few people have the time to do anything except work and pick at each other.  This situation has gone on for  so long now that the lesser side of Brit character is prominent, which is a shame becasue when they are less 'oppressed' they can be really good fun and the UK can be a really fun place to live.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image68
            Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What the hell are you talking about, are you agreeing with lrohner, disagreeing, or trying to engender some kind of stiff upper lipped bend over and take one for the team kind of attitude?

Why not take your own advice and do the right thing... only post when you have something helpful, constructive or humorous to say. By humorous I mean something that will make us laugh with you rather than at you.

1. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd be curious to know what he means by his statement as well.  It just seems weird, given the rather "elastic" attitude to ethics that I personally have encountered in the "Anglo" corporate world.

3. Daniel Carter profile image61
            Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Terrorists believe they are "doing the right thing" as well. And they claim it's what they know in their heart.

Be careful about "the right thing." Doing good is a better take on it.

3. Mrvoodoo profile image56
      Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

'Am I wrong in assuming that HP know what they are doing and have a plan?'

Anybody can have a plan.  Having one is not necessarily indicative of knowing what you are doing.

big_smile Well Said Mate!

10. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Remember me when I am down and not only when you are up there! For once upon a time we are together! We are buddy through thick and thin, don't show me the way to leave!

11. profile image0
    Joe Askanaziposted 12 years ago

Is this a good time to join the site?

Ask-A-Nazi?
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4984488_f248.jpg

Snappy Timing! roll

wow - didn't see that, ever consider a legal name change? That's bound to rankle.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Totally awesome pic! smile smile smile

2. sunforged profile image71

Maybe - Most of the issues in this thread stem from treatment and changes in past rules and regulations . If they are all finally explained and described, then starting here now is likely to not cause the same problems for you.

It will probably remain a great place to learn about the options and methods available to you to attract readers and/or make money, but may not remain the leading platform to actually achieve those options.

1. profile image0
        Joe Askanaziposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We will see. I like learning about options. Thank you for answering my question in a straightforward manner.

My name was a bigger problem in my childhood than it is now. Consider my Italian roots.

1. KiaKitori profile image67
          KiaKitoriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Askanazi - Ashkenazi = jewish population living in northern Europe.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59

Welcome to HubPages!

The more writers, such as yourself, that show up; the better. smile

4. Peter Hoggan profile image68

Hell yes, you might have the entire ship to yourself in a short time, just before she sinks!

He actually looks like a WW2 U-Boat Skipper... I'm sure with a name like that, he won't mind Sinking the Damn boat on his Own! big_smile

12. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I enjoyed the interview also and all of your writing that I have read. I was very serious when I said I would be your first subscriber.

It seems, as you are skilled in humor, I am skilled at being a critical jerk. I was working for 24 hours straight I could have phrased that better and now after a nap , wish I had.

No, no, no - no problem at all.  Sunforged - I entered an area that I should have kept out of - and of all people - I appreciate that you know what you are talking about.
      For some reason (boredom probably) I thought that saying some people are OK to go with the flow might be of interest.  Bother.  I've said it again.

13. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Self employment gets me halfway there smile

And Will, if doing the right thing eventually pays off then corporate funded America has got some serious problems.

1. Smart Rookie profile image60
      Smart Rookieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think by "do the right thing," he means do right by our plutocratic overlords.
      It's a "tough lesson" all right - bending over on command takes some serious operant conditioning.

14. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 12 years ago

I think he is trying to sound like a mysterious, enigmatic guru - a fount of knowledge and wisdom. Perhaps there are hidden depths to his esoteric statements that we unworthy laypeople, with our tiny, restricted intellects, are too unenlightened to grasp.

...or, it could simply be BS.

15. Greek One profile image65
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Anglo culture...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb7Tu8-OLnWsjqZxaJTXTl0p4U5hAVw4bV6dUA5i5yX8mSBkt0&t=1

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68

Dam, you made me spray my coffee over my monitor, very funny.

16. humagaia profile image58

But remember, you guys bought into this bit of Angle culture! Well, some of you did - we were just glad to export her! Well, I was, at any rate.

And to be correct, she is actually Celtic culture - quite different.

1. Greek One profile image65
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the last bit of Anglo culture i wanted to get into was...

http://idiotflashback.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/samantha_fox_i.jpg

17. humagaia profile image58

Everyone has their kinks

18. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I think Greek One should be ejected in every forum thread he frolicks, just bec. he is turning it into comedy, hehe

1. Greek One profile image65
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

about time someone said something rational on this site

19. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago
  20. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

^The above is the locked response thread from Staff^

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, it wasn't open for discussion with member, but was meant to simply make a statement. hmm

It seemed some responses were stemming from questions in this thread so it should be highlighted.

*edit* Had not seen Jason's addition

2. Jason Menayan profile image61
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From the post:

smile

21. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

"so tell us about your treatment and what is your reaction going to be?"

Well so far (and let me stress "so far") all I have gotten is one e-mail telling me two Hubs were in danger because of Amazon ads.
    Since those ads were an integral part of the Hub, I just copied them, deleted them, waited a week and posted them elsewhere.
    I have gone over quite a few Hubs since Panda and changed them myself (mainly cut way down on my tags).
    I have also deleted (and republished elsewhere) Hubs that just weren't doing anything here, which I think is actually good for HP and myself.
    I have given up on linking to other people's Hubs because they seem to vanish so quickly and I get tired of getting the broken link warnings two or three times a day.
    I have filed about 300 DMCAs since Panda hit, with about a 95% success rate.
    Some were even taken down the same day, which is amazing to me.
    I plan to let my big earning Hubs stay right where they are unless they suddenly stop being big earning Hubs.

Like Bruce Lee said..."Be water, my friend."

22. Charles James profile image68
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

The trick in any business is to deliver quality to the customers while making an adequate profit.

So who are HPs customers? It is the companies like Google, Bing etcetera who buy advertising space in bulk from HP. Well done by the way to HP for widening their customer base when they did.

We are HPs suppliers - we supply the content on which the advertisements appear. HP tell us what they will and will not accept, and they will take all we offer within the parameters they set. If HP change their parameters we each make choices what level we will supply under the new rules.

Some of us will take our bat and ball to another playing field. Some will take down all their hubs and re-use elsewhere. None of us are bound by any contract only to supply to HP.

The root problem is that Google are not being clear with HP what they really really want from HP. The conspiracy theorists say that Google have been leaned on by Amazon, Walmart etcetera. This might be true. HP are working blind with Google, and are trying to guess what is in Google's black box. Hence the spray of initiatives from HP that many people perceive as being pissed on.

As for the HP staff not being polite, when I see how some folk describe them no wonder they do not want to engage!

My experience of HP has been good, and the only time I asked for help their technical support peoople were wonderful. So I stay, carry on writing hubs, and watch developments.

1. rmr profile image68
      rmrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can see where it's tempting to think of hubbers as suppliers, but I have two issues with that. First, I have never paid a client 40% of my profit to take my product, and second, I have never had to replace a product, a year and a half after the sale, because of changing laws or regulations.

1. profile image0
        Joe Askanaziposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In today's economy, it is rarely the case that anyone is going to sell your product for free.

In today's economy its not just rare to sell a product for free, its impossible, you can however give stuff away.

Sell for free is an oxymoron, kind of like your name.

2. Charles James profile image68
        Charles Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HP supply the web site vehicle which carries our writings, and negotiates with Amazon, Google etcetera to link into their income streams. HP used to be able to give us earlier access to higher Google rankings thatn we could have from our own web sites. Their 40% charge for this is no different to a shop taking my book on "sale or return".

If the trading environment changes, HP requires you to change your product.

23. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Well, it looks like I have been snuckered.

The University of Phoenix website has never heard of anyone named Askanazi.

And in 1999 and 2007 the American Association of Physics Teachers’ Robert A. Millikan Awards were won by Alan Van Heuvelen and David Sokoloff, respectively; not by anyone named Askanazi.

Live and learn. smile

Needless to say, I am now going back and unfollowing.

There is a Physics Prof in Miami named ashekenazi , but he isnt likely to change his name in such a way

1. paradigmsearch profile image59

Yep, and there does appear to be at least one real doctor and one real physicist named "Askanazi" out there.

Ya know…, I wonder if I should start checking the profile facts of some of the other folks I’ve been following around here…smile

24. paradigmsearch profile image59

Update to my previous post.

According to Google, “Askanazi” is a legitimate surname. So, I shall consider myself only semi-snuckered as opposed to full-blown snuckered.

25. paradigmsearch profile image59

Nah, forget it. I’d rather spend my time trying to come up with a new hub idea instead. smile smile smile

26. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

So are HP staff trying to drive off the old hubbers in favor of the new ones? Is that their aim?

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

BobbiRant,

Simone recently posted the answer to that question here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74274

2. sunforged profile image71

Intention and results may vary

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol greatly! lol lol

27. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

I don't think that is their aim, but in one way or another they have upset a few people who have either stopped contributing or decided to move on.

28. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

Some have been here too long, some act like THEY own the place. So I guess results and intentions DO vary.  But that's fine, there are other places to write that make one prosper better anyway.  Nicer people too.

Sites that serve the interests of the owners and stakeholders while ignoring those of the user ultimately fail. The writers here don't own HP in the truest sense, but the do own its future.

29. dablufox profile image58
    dablufoxposted 12 years ago

I totally agree with lakeerieartists, although I wish I could be as forgiving and gracious.

Unfortunately I can't. I think that the veteran and highest performing hubbers are being unjustly punished while the tsunami of spam is only increasing momentum.

Common sense would tell you that its wise to look after the highest scoring and most productive hubbers and place greater restrictions on the newbies.

But hubpages seems to think that taking the lazy way by introducing broad blanket rules is the answer.

Of course its not, its just alienating and frustrating the true leaders of the hubpages platforms, the veterans.

I really feel for hubbers like  lakeerieartists. Its easy for hubpages to create rolling changes, its the hubbers who have invested the most who are left picking up the pieces.

What's really disappointing is that spam hubs continue to roll on in as fast as ever.

And now that one of my hubs has been unjustly flagged for a single (high quality) link, ie not penis enlargement or pimple cream, I'm hardly going to go out of my way to hub hop.

What for?

So I can have another one of my 1000+ word hubs flagged for a quality affiliate link to a product which I genuinely feel will be useful to a serious hubber.

Sure I like the commission but I also like to help people, as reflected in my hubs.

If I didn't care to help people by writing 1200+ but instead just churned out the usual 150 word crap hub, then I would understand about being flagged for an affiliate link.

I think hubpages needs to start treating its better content producers with a little more respect!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)