Question of God

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 12 years ago

Crazy question. 

I was listening to I Tunes this morning and a song played that always makes me think about the question of God.  ‘Phil Collins – Find a Way to My Heart’. I don't know who the guy was singing to, but I find it to be a perfect verbalization of what I've always believed.  To me, it epitomizes the hope, but frustration of searching for any answers about the spiritual realm.

Everyone seems to talk about the question of God; but you know anyone that claims to have answers is probably off base.  Who could know for sure?

I’m curious what song symbolizes your feelings on the question of God; what brings the question for some, the praise for some, or the laughter at the silliness of the question for others, to the forefront of your mind, every time you hear it.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me its "You got the love" by Candi Staton.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't find one be Candi Staton, but there was one available for download by Joss Stone, I guess the same song. Very nice.

2. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of my favorites is "You'll Never Walk Alone" check it out.

3. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The number of popular songs that could just as easily be spiritual songs of faith and hope is so numerous, that to believe that it is accidental is ridiculous. Even our stories revolve around good vs evil. And, regardless of the assumption that no one has the answers, that is exactly what we were supposed to be expecting.  Someone who can make sense of this mess we have in this world. Someone or something.

It's no coincidence.

2. profile image0

You're right. I think we are supposed to be looking. I've always thought everyone had a piece of the puzzle. That's why reading all of the posts is so fascinating. Trying to sift through and find each person's piece of the truth.

4. Cristen Rodgers profile image69
      Cristen Rodgersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Kings and Queens"

It makes me think of how silly we are to try to define 'good' and 'evil' through such definitive terms rather than just focusing on seeking out our connections to each other and to the energy that we share (god)

5. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me it's Matt Redmonds song: Heart of Worship:

When the music fades
      And all is stripped away
      And I simply come
      Longing just to bring
      Something that's of worth
      That will bless your heart

I'll bring You more than a song
      For a song in itself
      Is not what You have required
      You search much deeper within
      Through the ways things appear
      You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
      And it's all about You
      All about You, Jesus
      I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
      When it's all about You
      It's all about You Jesus

King of endless worth
      No one could express
      How much You deserve
      Though I'm weak and poor
      All I have is Yours
      Every single breath

I'll bring You more than just a song
      For a song in itself
      Is not what You have required
      You search much deeper within
      Through the way things appear
      You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
      And it's all about You
      All about You, Jesus
      I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
      When it's all about You
      It's all about You Jesus

Its all about you
      Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7OR3W-as38

2. jay_kumar_07 profile image58
    jay_kumar_07posted 12 years ago

Most of us are not having and interested to develop the the sense for to hear the question of GOD from heart.But searching and asking the way to heart.

One way telphone.

1. profile image0

Interesting. smile

Never thought of that, but a quick look through super pages didn't come up with anything. Either he doesn't exist, or his number's unlisted. Not sure which.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gotta be there in the phone book somewhere. I know, because I remember a song called "Telephone to glory" smile
        some of the lyrics are "You can talk to jesus on the glory telephone" or similar.

1. profile image0

lol I never heard that one. I just looked, but can't find it on I Tunes.

That's because I got the title wrong!
            Here ya go! smile

http://library.timelesstruths.org/music … Telephone/

I can't read all the lyrics without throwing up! smile

1. profile image0

lol lol Thank goodness that was only a link to the lyrics..I can almost hear Loretta Lynn twanging that one out. What a joke.

Mercy! lol

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
                  dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus on speed dial!!!!!!!       lololol.....tooo much

2. Greek One profile image64
              Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Earnest if I had to grow up listening to the Bee Gees, I would question the existence of God too...

although I would be pretty sure that Hell existed

smile

The BG's rule! smile

1. Greek One profile image64
                  Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if they rule down there per say, but they certainly have leadership positions on the Board of Directors of Hell's Department of Acoustical Torture

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
                    dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Greek's just jealous, he cannot hit the high notes!   smile

3. Disappearinghead profile image61

I don't think I've seen such a huge wedge of Cheddar in a long time. smile

3. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

Not sure I understand what you are asking for completely.  If I am off topic then forgive me.

Songs like "Let the Worshipers Arise" by Chris Tomblin get me in a mood to praise God. Of course there are many others but there is no need to  list them all.

Third Day likewise has a few songs that get me into a spirit of praise.  "Cry out to Jesus" is one of my favorites but not the only one I love by them.

You then have one by Kutless titled "Take me into the Holy of Holies" that really gets me deep into the spiritual side of worship and praise.

4. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Los Lobos Boys "Heaven" and Mercy Me " I can only imagine" smile

1. profile image0

Yep. I Can Only Imagine is a good song, except for the part about dancing for Jesus. That's a bit cringe worthy for me. Definitely wouldn't do it if I found the whole idea of heaven was real.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lololo. I believe that part of the song is referencing Pentecost. I know I am to shy myself to do that to. smile

What I've always found cringe worthy is being in church next to those who pogo dance for Jesus, or wave flags about. Each to their own I suppose. smile

2. profile image0

I don't know what Pentacost is. If it has to do with dancing, I'm out of luck. I've always identified with Steve Matin's character in the Jerk. I'm pretty sure I was born with no rhythm. I'd certainly be doing heaven a favor by not dancing. smile

1. AEvans profile image71
            AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are so funny! smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61

My mom was pentecostal...don't know that she was much of a dancer. Far as I know, they pretty much do as the feeling moves them.

5. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCXC5K5PfY

This is not being performed by the songwriter.  It's a cover.  But, the songwriter is on my list of most admired people EVER.  He died in an automobile accident before this album was recorded.  His name was Rich Mullins.

Another, by a member of his band is this one  - it was written by Rick Elias for Rich to perform, but Rich was never able to make it through a performance without breaking down and so he'd have Rick sing it in concert.  That's Rich introducing Rick to sing the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRspIyKhniw

BOTH songs are examples of my relationship with God and how music clarifies my questions for Him on occasion.

1. profile image0

I don't think this droid does the music justice, but very nice.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you wanna look up lyrics - the first is called Hard to Get by Rich Mullins.

The other is Man of No Reputation by Rick Elias.

1. profile image0

Oh my gosh. The lyrics to Hard To Get are tragically depressing. I think I'm glad I couldn't hear the guy singing that well. I might have cried. He definitely poured his heart and soul into that one.

1. profile image0

Yeah - they sound that way.  Rich wasn't terribly popular among fundies because they hated how brutally honest he tended to be with God in his songs, you know?

1. profile image0

Well, I do think that type of honesty in the song is a better faith than one that pretends those lyrics aren't realistic. I just feel so sorry for the writer.

1. profile image0

I fell in love with his music about two years before he died.  I went on a mission to get my hands on everything I could.  If you get a chance to take a look at any of his concert clips on YouTube, it'll be well worth it.  You may (or may not) be surprised to find that much of my religious philosophy comes from the same sources his must have.

By the way, what a neat thread.

smile

1. profile image0

I'll see what I can find. And it has been fun on the thread so far, and hopefully it will last. I threw in that last part about what songs make you laugh about the whole thing, hoping if the darker mooded ones roll through they'll have fun with it and post something humorous instead of bashing anybody. Probably wishful thinking, but hope springs eternal. smile

1. profile image0

He was a fascinating man.  God songs that make me laugh? 

The one about "I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic Jesus..."

Don't remember anymore, but it was in Cool Hand Luke I think.

And, yup, your hope is one of your most attractive features!

smile

6. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

"Like a bridge over troubled water" by Simon and Garfunkel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a46WJ1viA

1. Druid Dude profile image61

Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel

7. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 12 years ago

Sisters of Mercy: Some Kind Of Stranger...

Am also a huge fan of Mission UK (song: Tower of Strength, album: Children)
    Wayne Hussey is a lyrical genius....

James.

Yes I forgot the Mission Tower of Strength. Excellent tune.

Another good one, though I think the core theology is a little off is 'Human Nature' by Gary Clail. Aah that takes me back to my student days throwing some shapes on the dancefloor at the Colosseum in Stafford UK.

2. profile image0

lol I found the Sisters of Mercy song.I was expecting  a choir of nuns. I was most pleasantly surprised. Good song. smile

:')

2. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

80s English Goth/Punk just rocks.
        The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Gene Love Jezebel, Nephilim --I could go on forever --started by the likes of the Velvet U and David Bowie.

Sighs...Good Tunes...

James.

8. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Question of God

The Creator-God exists with his attributes manifest in the Universe.

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paar? Paar? Paaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrr? big_smile

9. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Question of God

Answer: God exists

10. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Question.
    Is goduunit?
    Answer,
    Yep he gone went an dunnit!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)