Government's Disaster Response Wins Praise

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 12 years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/us/01 … r=2&hp

Sounds like federal, state, and local government officials are getting some positive feedback for a change.  Speaking as a former local government employee, I know how good that feels.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

I think that this paragraph is hilarious.

"But the government response to the tornadoes that devastated the South last week has, at least in the first few days, drawn little of the searing criticism aimed at federal agencies back in 2005. "

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let us in on the joke.

Cooperation from the local level right through the states and including federal agencies responding to extreme weather where 300 people lost their lives is many things. But 'hilarious' isn't a word that comes to mind.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
        uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No mention of a parkin' lot full of school buses or hidin' out in a luxury hotel while his city was destroyed and he is a Democrat??   Hardly up holdin' the great traditions of his party like that great Democrat mayor Ray Nagin.

How late was Barry gettin' to Tuscaloosa?  Was he readin' a goat book?

(as for replacin' the "g" in "ing" with ' - this is the big change I hear Barry makin' every time he is talkin' - just sayin')

What are you saying?

Yes, we get that you are slamming Ray Nain for some of his Katrina mistakes. Which were magnified at the state & federal level. (Doin' a heck of a job, Brownie.) Sound familiar?

The point is - that didn't happen in a bad situation this week.

Do you mean - sayin'?

It didn't happen because the proximate authorities didn't abdicate all responsibility to the distant authorities as they did in New Orleans.  The federal response save hundreds of lives - don't you recall the Coast Guard and Navy snatching people from their roofs.

I suppose it would be worthwhile someday to discuss the aftermath of Katrina with someone who actually cares about accurate history instead of the bumper sticker - "Brownie" history.

Nice thumb nail foolishness.

Here's accurate history.  Brown was made head of FEMA by Bush despite a complete lack of credentials in Emergency Management for two reasons. He was loyal to Bush. He was a big fundraiser for Bush.

Wal-Mart got to New Orleans with disaster aid before FEMA did.

Really, you are going to question anyone's qualifications and connections after voting for Obama??  Wow, strain at gnats much?

Every state has a giant Wal-mart distribution center, but aren't they the hated and greedy, evil Wal-mart?

1. DTR0005 profile image60
                    DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well yeah - one thing though - Obama was elected by the electorate and not appointed to the position. So the "people" elected him (not a close election by the way) and now you can vote him out of office next year. Simple and democratic. (if that isn't a bad word) Now go find someone other than a complete idiot or lunatic to oppose him, get him elected, and things will be all better - just like after the Midterm Elections. If you are lucky, this visionary will eradicate all taxes, close most of the Federal Government, put Daniel Boone on the $5 dollar bill, issue gold coin, close all public schools, and install Visa machines inside police cruisers and on fire trucks. Then we can all start wearing leggings and tip our hats to each other.
                    You people call liberals idealists?

2. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what is it with Presidents and their fake Texas accents, anyway?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/red/blue_pics/2008/06/13/0613_bush_460x276.jpg

Next thing ya know he'll be clearin' brush down at the fake ranch.

Have you been to his ranch and kicked over the paper mache' rocks?  At least he isn't pretending to be a natural born citizen.

1. DTR0005 profile image60
                  DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Still riding the birther horse?

As long as you guys get all panty-bunchy about it - heck yes!  Nothing funnier than how liberals react to their buttons being pushed.

2. profile image0

Really?  You're a birther?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsJfwQAqxsfnWSY-CP_50uZP917qGelozwxUwxvFfHfw5f-0M8

No but nothing tends to make liberals heads spin like pushing that button - at least for now.  Another button will pop up soon and I will push it until the spring breaks just to hear a liberal go shrieking in a wildly flailing flaming haired St Vitus Dance of frustration.  Absolutely hilarious!

2. Doug Hughes profile image60

Uncorrected vision can also mean totally blind.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Basically the argument is "they aren't getting as many insults as when they sucked at cleaning up katrina".

that ain't saying much.

3. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

FEMA is not suppose to be a first responder.

How did you make it into this thread - stop telling the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. profile image0

You're right about that.  So what is your point?

Brownie should have been there before Wal-mart.

3. Doug Hughes profile image60

Maybe FEMA is not supposed to be a first responder, but neither is Wal-Mart. FEMA bungled Katrina so bad, the US looked like a third-world country.

This week FEMA, working with other levels of government, responded pretty well.

Really, Wal-mart - a private enterprise - is not supposed to be a responsive and responsible company - for god's sake would you make up your mind. That is like saying I am not supposed to respond to my neighbor needing me because I am not "supposed" to be a first responder.  WWJD?

I will type this very s l o w l y so you can comprehend. FEMA bungled the Katrina response because Bush appointed a fool to run FEMA as a political favor.

The magnitude of the incompetence can be seen in the historical fact that Wal-Mart rolled into New Orleans with aid before FEMA did.

The debacle did not repeat this week. One reason is because Obama considers competence and qualifications in his appointments.

You mean like that numbskull in hiding or napping - Joe Biden.

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

Why no hubs ?
    hi btw nice to meet you

no bucks no buck rogers

It doesn't require cash to post a hub. Only original work.

I can see how 'original' might be a problem.

again you err.  no money no hub.  money = hub.  original stuff goes where there are dollars.  I know maybe I should type slower, you seem confused.  I know clear thought get harder as you get older and your estrogen production falls off.

5. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

We had 4 hurricanes  that year in Fla  were not crying about it we  dealt with it. There was a day when the people of La. could   hold their own . That day is long gone . Its up to the people to prepare, plan ,and pitch in . Im proud of us Floridians.

The city of Biloxi, Mississippi was all but leveled by a direct hit from the hurricane and there was no great drama created over that.  The drama of New Orleans was created by neglect by state and local government for years and at the time of the flooding.  It wasn't the hurricane that got N.O. it was the thing every emergency planner for decades warned about - breaching the levies on Lake Pontchartrian.  And we all know who was responsible for that - George W. Bush was seen planting explosives on those levies just to kill all those future Obama voters.

6. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

5 words or less . I do like that . The no hub thing trips me up tho . When i take into consideration   someones  opinions  . I always  check out the kinda stuff they write .

7. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

Disaster is just that . Hindsight is always 20 20 . We could have always done a better job .  I think  when things go  a rye in a situation like that  its systematic  ..I don't see  Bush or Brownie as failures .  Nature is undefeated when it punches us in the face we can only try the best we can.
    I always  keep in mind   how i might have  did the job myself.
    Leading a nation is not  easy .

8. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"original stuff goes where there are dollars."

So Christ-Like....I may weep.
    You have your own buttons, ferret.

I didn't know Jesus was on hubpages - I better go read his stuff.

9. profile image49
    aabb123posted 12 years ago

poiyuiutyjuyiMicrosoft Office 2007 Ultimate gives human Microsoft Office 2010 in our house and inside Office 2007 businesses in the all Microsoft Office 2010 tool box to efficiently produce, do with, and enjoy Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional resource. A DVD-ROM crash Visio 2010 is demanded for installation Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student. In a word, if a person who activate the Microsoft Office 2010 Professional application where the trial Adobe Acrobat period begins that early in the month which Microsoft Visio 2010 is not on the first day of the month, Microsoft Project Professional 2010 he or she are going to have more than 60 days of trial Microsoft Office period the time before it timeouts or expires Adobe reader. Houses on Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student depends on Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007, Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 creates Office 2007 Ultimate groups and clubs with the best wide Project 2010 kind of machines to gather and combine many kind of Acrobat 9 information, find what they are looking for faster Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Business, and easily share critical information with others Microsoft Visio Professional 2010 across geographic or organizational Microsoft Project 2010 boundaries, whether working online or offline Office 2007 Professional.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)