Excerptz or Squidoo - which is better for backlinks?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (100 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 12 years ago

Is backlinking one of those annoying yet necessary tasks to improve traffic?  Which is more effective for backlinking?  Excerptz or Squidoo?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I fully intend to join Ryan Kett's website, but I realize that I've a ton more back linking to do yet with shetoldme, and best reviewer; and those are both excellent.

I've a Squido account, but I've never used it.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did apply for shetoldme, but I didn't use it and it's shut (I think, or else I can't remember the password) & I wasn't sure if it was effective - but you do notice a difference when you use it?

Yes, but not nearly so much as with Best Reviewer.  Of course with Best Reviewer you are creating "tops," such as. . .er, for example:

"Top Twelve Articles About Home Air Conditioning,"  <---I actually just did that one, updated it from "just" ten.

So you see, with Best Reviewer you are reviewing several articles or hubs at a time, no less than three is the rule.

Both shetoldme and Best Reviewer are owned by the same person, James someone. . . .

I doubt folks make that much off of Adsense there, but it's one hundred percent Adsense in your direction if you do make anything from that.  Ryan Kett's site, of course, has an 80/20 split, which is still outstanding, and I've not looked at his site yet - but he'd have to be better than shetoldme for me to use his site ahead of shetoldme.  Eventually I'll do his site, but I've got a lot more shetoldme to do.

1. profile image0

do you use a different username so it's not obvious you are recommending your own hubs?

No.  I'm "wesmantoddshaw."  You know, I wondered about reviewing other persons stuff.  I'd do those at much more than three hundred words,  Most of mine. . .I don't count, but I know that they are probably usually around 600 words.  I don't know if it's. . ."legal" to review other's work.  I doubt that anyone would mind!

I just joined Excerpz too, but I'm not doing anything else today.

Heck, I figured it was just. . . .obvious, or common that everyone was reviewing their own material.  I could be wrong.

1. Cagsil profile image71
                Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wesman, it's not "reviewing" that Bailey was asking about. It was about "recommending" your own work from another location.

Thus, self promotion from outside. She isn't looking at as advertising or giving others a glimpse of your work. She is looking at it as promotion of similar or identical work. If I understand correctly? hmm

1. profile image0

I am asking how to get more traffic in the least painful ways

I understand that Bailey. wink I was just pointing out the difference between what you said and what Wesman said.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Then I'd recommend Best Reviewer over shetoldme by a long shot.

2. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, none of James sites are 100% sharing - you get 100% sharing of the adblocks that uses your id :p

" Up to 3 AdSense blocks are displayed on this page, if you fill in the AdSense Publisher ID in your account, an AdSense block with your ID will be located closest to the title of your link, at the best spot in terms of CTR, 100% of the time"

3 Adsense Blocks - 1 is yours - so whats the real share ratio?

AHA!

I should have realized something like that went on a long time ago.  Ryan . . . .could have explained that, but I take it that he's friendly with James.

Hey Sunforged, you're marketing goddess has found this thread too!

3. Ms Dee profile image86
            Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I posted a lot on Best-Reviewer and She Told Me for a while. I couldn't tell posting on Best-Reviewer was helping. Once or twice I'd seen a hit that came via She Told Me.

I ran into "Duplicate" problems, though, as I'd copied too much from my hubs into Best-Reviewer. So I just gave up on it and took it all off.

If I care about something enough to write a hub about it - then I can talk at length about that subject, and have no need to copy and paste into a top or scoop.

I don't mean to sound high and mighty here - it could be that I'm just a long winded, classic bullshitter and storyteller; but I don't copy and paste my own stuff.  I've got too much to say, and not enough time to say it all.  I can always say the same thing ten dozed other ways.

1. brakel2 profile image73
                brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote an article about a swimming pool filter on Excerptz and put a link to my swimming pool hub. I have noticed others doing similar procedures where the two tie in together and the 300 words is not a summary of the hub. That may work.

"teasers" or summaries - either should work fine.  I have done excerptz yet, but I have an account.  I've just not got done with shetoldme yet.

2. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I backlinked with shetoldme for the best part of a year, for nothing. Don't waste your time.

Oh, and the thing is this - Ryan's site, and the other two I've been telling you about are "dofollow" links, so whether or not you get DIRECT traffic from them, or make anything from the adsense ads there - you're still bound to get more organic traffic, or at least that is the law of Misha, as handed down by God from some mountain in the desert.

Best Reviewer is giving me a ton more traffic than shetoldme, but the point of those things is INDIRECT traffic, right?  You get indirect traffic from the dofollow backlinks, or at least that's the prevailing theory all over the net.

3. Ms Dee profile image86
          Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here IzzyM. That was my experience, too.

I'm still working on backlinking everything I have on this site, and some other sites with shetoldme.  I'm seeing decent traffic gains from this - but nothing like what I get from Best Reviewer.

I'm not going to stop something that I've started, I'm not that kind of person.  I'm going to do the same thing over again on Ryankett's site as well. 

Again, you aren't eve looking for direct traffic from shetoldme, you are building dofollow backlinks with that site, and that should increase your organic traffic.

In a nutshell, that is everything I've learned on hubpages.

2. stuff4you profile image56
      stuff4youposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know but I just joined Excerptz today after seeing it mentioned on here.

When you log in, the interface is a little off and the design sucks. But I have no experience with it other wise, I'll wait and see.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's because it's built using a Wordpress site.

If you ever start your own websites with Wordpress, that's what they'll look like from the inside.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
          Suzanne Dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey I've moved a few hubs over to my own Wordpress site at: http://www.sasspirations.com/

It's not hard to do your own, although of course, you can't just post lots of unrelated stuff or it's not going to work as well as Hubpages. If you have a favourite topic though (as I love jewellery) you can explore it with your own site like I have!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do both. 

As I understand it, you want backlinks from a variety of sites. There's not a lot of point in having multiple links from one site.

HubPages is one site, even if you write 50 Hubs.  Ditto with Squidoo and Excerptz.   So if you're only in it for the backlinks, write a few articles - or even one article - on all of them.

4. lakeerieartists profile image64
      lakeerieartistsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and both.

5. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo backlinks for me never showed up while backlinks from excerptz have all showed up within 3-5 days sometimes quicker. Sounds to me like you need to do some more learning on backlinking Baileybear. Yes they can get you a bit of traffic but that is really not the ultimate goal of proper backlinking.

Your best traffic potential is with boosting your Google ranking. The backlinking should be looked at as a means to help boost your rankings for the keywords you want to target. If not the majority of your work will be for nothing.

I have recently learned that pointing tons of links to what you want to boost the rankings of has at times a negative affect. The best way is to only link to your Hub (if that's what you are trying to rank) with articles only using proper anchor. Then slam those articles with all of the crap linking such as social bookmarking,profile links and forum links.

Done properly you sit back and watch all that link juice roll in through the anchor from the articles pointing to your hub and watch your rankings go up,up,up for your targeted keyword.

If you have for instance say 3 keywords you want to target for a hub then you create 3 separate networks of the same manner.

Oh geez I'm writing a hub here,lmao. Now all that being said, you will never have time for a life doing all of that yourself and it's hard to stay motivated to do so much. This is why getting high rankings is hard for so many people. Those who put the work in get the spoils. The top dogs at doing this are the ones using automated tools or services or outsourcing all of the tasks.

There that should be plenty of food for thought,lmao.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Well, I would have to go with Ryan's Excerptz over Squidoo. wink

Are they annoying? I haven't a clue. So far, I've yet to use either one. But, I am more inclined to trust Ryan. wink

1. profile image0

I find the process of backlinking annoying - for squidoo & exerptz have to write a minimum 300 word article which can backlink.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I haven't backlinked any of my articles since early January, yet the ones doing best now are the ones on topical subjects written this year, without backlinks. What does that tell you?

1. profile image0

that is might be a waste of time/effort?

2. Cagsil profile image71

You find it annoying to have to write a 300 word article, just so you can get a valued backlink?

Writing 300 words is almost the average size of some of my posts in the forum. You can write 300 words without a problem. Maybe you should change your view about the process and look beyond yourself, as it is a process that is never ending.

Backlinking and building backlinks that show Google VALUE for your article is the goal in the first place. It happens to be one of the problems why people are having problems. They are creating backlinks to their articles and most of the time, because they are not creating a valued link, but are creating a link, they think it isn't working or shouldn't be done.

Creating shorter versions of your own articles, should be easy a pie.

1. profile image0

I reakon I could do the 300 word article thing, that's why I'm looking at Squidoo & Exerptz as I figure the backlink will have better 'value' with an article.   Does this process actually work, scattering articles all over the place?  I have only written on HP so far

Technically, you're writing excerpts of an article. The point is give relevant information in the 300 word article and have more information available in your full size article on HP.

Both give your reader value, yet are separate in and of themselves, yet are linked to one another.

Does it work? From what I've heard it works wonders, providing the links are to valued sources. So far, I've only linked my articles to RedGage, but I don't promote my RedGage account, so that is my own fault. I also tweet out my hubs daily on twitter, which creates backlinks, but also finds me traffic.

Other than that, I have used keyword research to find things I want to write about, which I think people would like to read about.

1. profile image0

that's kind of what I figured it was about - writing a condensed version that points back HP articles. 

I tweet my articles, but don't get traffic from there

2. Howard S. profile image89
              Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would understand if you linked from RedGage (like twitter), but I need more explanation if you really did mean to.

What do you mean by promoting RedGage? How might you do that?

What do you "tweet...daily?" Your newly published hub, of course. When do you retweet? How often? Do you have separate twitter accounts for separate niches? (I should probably look at you bio page.)

You mention RedGage and twitter so casually that they are obviously well-integrated into the marketing strategy for your hubs. I don't have accounts like those. Adding them seems like a distraction to figuring out HubPages. Otoh it may be essential if I want to profit on HP (and I do).

I'm still cogitating on some of what you're saying to Bailey about attitude. I'm listening--and maybe I'll eventually accept it. It makes sense, but I need to own it before I can act on it.

2. lakeerieartists profile image64

Yes.

2. earner profile image81
          earnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or, as I say it: If you can't be bothered to put a backlink to your own article on the Internet, why should anybody else be bothered or interested either?

smile

1. profile image0

so you reakon people that don't backlink don't deserve to have their articles read?

If you cared about something so much that you created a wonderful article about it - then surely you care about that thing enough to back link it a bit.

The thing is this - if you get seen by others who care about that subject as much as you do, then those persons will share your work, but what if your work never gets seen by those people?

I think that's supposed to be rhetorical, but I'm not sure I get it, so I'll treat this as a real quiz.

Answer: Because what counts is where you rank on a Google search rather than how many places on the web people might stumble across a link to your page.

Right? If not, please clarify.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

HP is not as far down as the 'experts' will tell you. Write what people want to read, and the traffic will come.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I got the impression Bailey Bear wasn't talking about the difficulty or otherwise about writing articles designed as backlinks.

I've become an expert on writing for backlinks alone.

But what I really want to discover is how easy it is to rank out there in the WWW for an article.

A backlink is only a backlink if you put it in the body of the text or under your username in a forum.

If your write a fresh article around your keywords, you don't even have to include a link if you just want it to rank by itself.

This is what I am experimenting with.

1. profile image0

yes, I'm not upset with having to write an article.  I'm wanting to know if it is effective and if doing the article writing way is even more effective

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yes it is effective, if that was your question.

Equally, if you make sure that short blurb that you write for an outside site is keyword rich and constructive, you may find your 'backlink' outshines your hub in the search engines.

I'm wondering whether or not I'd get away with writing the shorter blurbs here and puting main articles elsewhere.

Just a thought.

1. profile image0

maybe could do both?  I'm just giving my hubs a tidy up (I've decided I don't like links within text) & will give it a crack

1. IzzyM profile image87

Links within text are the powerful type of links, I'm led to believe.

1. profile image0

are they?  I'm putting them at the ends of my capsules - I thought they looked messy

1. IzzyM profile image87

Didn't you mammy tell you, looks aren't everything! According to what I have read here on my HP learning experience, in-text links are more powerful than any other.

1. profile image0

so does that mean I should abandon my 'tidy up'?  I am going though some of my older hubs (mostly on asperger's) and trying to tighten them up.  Some of them are rather long, over 2000 words, so do I just make the writing tighter or split them into separate hubs?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Cags has answered and he is correct smile

2. profile image0

nah, my mammay didn't tell me that, and my hubby's mammy does think looks are everything smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

Definitely true.

Izzy, please do let us know how the experiment turns out. I've never done a backlink. I'd have to find another site, open an account, figure it all out, etc. That rankles tongue it seems distasteful to me. I have absolutely zero other exposure, and I'm not sure I want it (unless that's the only way to be profitable). (I think I'm on the same track as Bailey, but a lap behind smile )

Now, I might have a psychological hurdle to overcome here. If that's critical to success, maybe y'all can help me over it. I'm coming from an academic--not marketing--perspective. I spent my career researching and writing about what was under-researched and undocumented. If I can find something in one place on the internet, I'm not going to write on it. This is especially true if I'm the one who wrote it.

I feel that I should only write again when I can add value to what I or others have already published. I am well aware that there are numerous ways to do that. It just doesn't seem right for me to go around posting little "3x5 cards" everywhere roll advertising my articles. Maybe Top 5 Best [of my niche], but not one at a time.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Links that are anchored to text within the content of an article are valued more than the ones placed in a link capsule at the end of a hub.

1. profile image0

does that include internal links within in hubpages?  Or external links

1. IzzyM profile image87

ALL links are more more valued when you anchor text them.

1. profile image0

do they increase the value of the site linked TO, or the one linked FROM as well?

2. profile image0

I deleted my links ready for a revamp of my hubs and got double the traffic afterwards - how strange

6. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 12 years ago

The best backlink is a related article to your hub with a contextual link.  I wrote a post about this topic here on Pro Hubpages.

1. profile image0

I checked it out. It seems like a more honest approach to write a small article rather than whack links everywhere.  If I have a group of related hubs, I could link to 2 or 3 of those?

1. lakeerieartists profile image64

I would recommend writing backlinking articles no less than 200 words, some sites need at least 300 words, and link to no more than 3 other places from them.  If your hubs are related, then you can link them to each other also, and interested readers will naturally flow from one to the other.

For instance, I know that you have several hubs on raising a child with Aspberger's Syndrome.  You could write a few different articles in different places that link to one or more of those.  That would make sense to the reader, and to Google.  Then you get both traffic and backlinks from it.

I like to think of it as creating a chain of linking articles, almost like breadcrumbs to lead people back to my main site which in this case is your hubs.  This will work for Google as well.

If you make the topics related, but not the same, you create authority for yourself on the topic (or more authority), and you may catch people who wouldn't find you on Hubpages for whatever reason.

1. profile image0

I need to split out my hubs as many are too long first before I link anything to them, otherwise will get messy

Why do you say they are too long?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Baileybear's Hubs are up to 4,000 words long.

I'm not sure if Panda has changed things, but previously there's been a lot of discussion that 1,200 words is long enough - onlin readers rarely read beyond that point.

Besides, splitting a 4,000 word Hub into 4 Hubs means you have 4 times the chance that Google will find your content.

Okay, yes, I can see where they would be too long.  That is why I asked. 

I usually recommend no more than about 1500 words for a hub or similar type article.  You can just make them into a series of linked articles instead, using the link capsule as a table of contents of sorts.  smile

I agree, interlinking them is important.

I'm definitely not an authority on article marketing like Sunforged, or someone like that - but I'm really not sure that splitting up an already published hub for the reason that it's "too long" would be a good idea at all.  The longer a hub is - the more keywords it's bound to have in it.  My understanding is that an older publication date is very, very favorable as well.

I'd really think that improving and backlinking to an older hub would be best, especially if it is text rich.  You can always write a condensed newer version of that hub in order to make it into whatever you were thinking of creating.

Of course I'm trying to be helpful here, and I could be mistaken - but please don't delete an older hub on a great topic, my understanding is that that isn't a good thing to do at all.

1. profile image0

I'm cutting and pasting anything out surplus material to a word document for consideration to be used elsewhere.

Actually there's your other option, Bailey.  If you're having trouble writing new articles to post on other sites, just take your surplus material from your Hubs and create articles for other sites.

Assuming you're writing for "real" article writing sites like Squidoo, Infobarrel or Excerptz (rather than bookmarking-style sites), then I'd be using 400 word articles which have value in their own right (so your surplus material could be ideal).  Then link them to your Hub and to each other.

Of course, you could take a completely different approach and create your own website or blog.  If there's a subject that's dear to your heart, it's well worth doing.

In that case, you would cut all your existing Hubs on that subject down to about 400 words and transfer all the rest of the material to your new website.  And, of course, each of your Hubs on that topic would link to your website.

1. profile image0

I'm aiming for 1000 words - culling back to 400-500 words seems too scary.  I've already trimmed 2 that were rather long (1 was over 5000 words) - FAQ about Aspergers & Fired for being too honest.  I've taken the surplus over to a blank document in case it comes in handy for either other hubs or linking articles (why throw away all that hard work?)

Absolutely.

Aspergers seems to be dear to your heart - have you thought of creating a website on that?  You could use all your surplus content. 

Most of my dance websites have links from dance Hubs and various dance forums, and they do OK.  I know I need to do more article writing on places like Infobarrel and Excerptz, but I'm lazy!!

Buy a .com domain name and use it with Blogger.com as a starting point, if you're not ready to grapple with hosting yet.

2. Greekgeek profile image77
                    Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1000 words is better anyway. From what I've seen, Squidoo articles on average tend to be longer and have more content than Hubpages, which may explain why Google Panda didn't seem to hit Squidoo... at least, not yet...

Original content you haven't posted elsewhere, though; Squidoo like Hubpages is very paranoid about duplicate content.

(Yeah, who the heck am I? A lurker who's been studying the Panda update in some detail, so I've been watching the Hubpages forums a lot lately to try and get a sense of what's going on.)

2. lakeerieartists profile image64

This assumption is only true up to about 1500 or so words, after that there is no measureable difference, makes more sense to create a series of related articles that link together.  But those practices also help improve traffic.

Hey, thanks for the reply!  I'd never heard of the "Pro Hubpages" site before; and so I joined that so as to read you're advice there as well as here.

3. Howard S. profile image89

A couple of folks have already amended this with good ideas. Allow me to take a stab at it. Definitely keep the url and original publishing date (unless traffic was nil). I've also retained the intro and concluding material, though edited a bunch. And then I place prominent links to the meat that had been extracted to create separate hubs. It can be a bit challenging to ensure that the intro for the "child" hub(s) is unique.

I am wary of unpublishing my original hub for too long. Instead, I first get the new child hub(s) ready to publish. Then I attempt to quickly edit the original in real time. If that's likely to be too messy, I'll do the text revisions in a word processor and then do the capsule-level editing in real time. The child hubs shouldn't be published until the original parent hub has been edited to contain no dup material.

I don't want to self-promote here, but will provide example links if that is helpful.

I like your way of thinking.  I definitely want to keep all of my original publication dates for things that have had decent traffic.

1. brakel2 profile image73
                  brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you have a teaser link to the hub from excerptz about a related subject, then can't you link back to it from hubpages so it is a two way link?

Sorry, that one went over my level of understanding things.

2. sunforged profile image70
                    sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your goal is one way links

7. HikeGuy profile image70
    HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

I'm glad I found this discussion. I'm with Baileybear on wanting to find the least painless way to generate productive traffic. From other hubs and discussions I've gathered quality backlinks are one of the most valuable ways to do it, so now I'm on a quest to determine the most effective ways to get quality backlinks for Google ranking, clicks and sales. I'm impressed by the helpfulness and quality of information everyone's providing here. I can live with the mini article tactic -- part of my aversion to promotion is that I'd rather write than almost anything else. Now here's another form of writing, one that generates traffic. Good deal.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Altern … ting-Sites
    and
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Deleted-Hubpage … ng-With-It

some sites which you can have the opportunity to write! same sites tackled in two separate hubs

9. Sesshoumaru2st profile image61
    Sesshoumaru2stposted 12 years ago

It's like you guys don't read and take what the Google Webmasters say.It's not all about backlinks dude and if you want backlinks there is a proven way to get them in high quality.They are called organic backlinks.The word of the day for you is CONTENT,BETTER CONTENT,or unique content from the rest.If you manage to pull that off,you will be rewarded handsomely.Again, CONTENT!!You think you need a lot of backlinks? HAHaAH!!Dude,I know a guy who have 1 backlink to his site and have a 4 PR. So why do you need to worry about backlinks? Go inside your brain and utilize that great imagination you have and write a good article that will benefit people.Imagine you wrote about carrots and gave some examples people never thought existed? I'll tell you what would happen.....Major Organic Backlinks.If you want to continue wasting your time building thousands,maybe hundreds of backlinks,be my guess.You have been doing that right? how well has it been going?Ok,you made 1 more red cent,but is that worth the time and effort you put into fabricating backlinks?

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more! I have been tinkering with the idea of better content after Google Panda. My hubs which were well backlinked were OK and somewhat floundering with Adsense, while hubs with great content took off for the first time ever (and no backlinking). So content is king. And since I'm going to all the effort of researching, photographing and doing massive amounts of work on creating great articles (which I love to do), I've been questioning having to give 40% of the revenue to anyone else. Hence I created my own new website at: http://www.sasspirations.com/ in Wordpress to reap the rewards of such content.

10. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Very solid information except..

Dude! No, you dont

11. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

For the record, an article on Squidoo is better for a backlink than an article on Excerptz or on TiF.  However you have to look at a few different factors.

Firstly, you want to be spreading your backlink portfolio, so it is not a case of this or that, you should be diversifying your backlinks.

Secondly it is hard to get any revenue on squidoo from a page created solely for a backlink.

When it comes to raw backlink quality, Hubpages and squidoo both still maintain a certain amount of power, even post-panda. Excerptz is still a relatively new site, but you might want to consider the fact that it is a new site which is growing, and growing fast.

My advice would be spread out those backlinks though.  Backlinsk from various different domains have infinately more value than the same number of backlinks from one site.

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hubbers should be using Squidoo as well especially if they have found a niche that's working well for them.  Try writing a normal article over there like you would over here... and then putting your backlink somewhere within the article.  If it's a product review put your link at the end... and use your own Amazon affiliate links instead of theres (100% Amazon is really nice)... Earn from both areas...

One of the reasons I like (and dislike at times) Squidoo is that there is not an Adsense account associated with it.  Although you still technically earn money from Adsense in the first couple of tiers - if backlinks from similar adsense accounts are ever flagged... then this would not be a link that would fall into that category...

12. prairieprincess profile image92
    prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

Resurrecting an old thread here:

Now, a question about taking some of the content off your older hubs, and then re-creating that material either to your own sites, or other sites.

How long do you have to wait for the old hub to de-index, before you can put the new content up, to avoid creating duplicate content? I have read from others that this is also a necessary step, but how long does it take for the old stuff to no longer be indexed by Google?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking of asking that question.

2. IzzyM profile image87

I believe articles take up to a week to de-index from Google.

1. prairieprincess profile image92
        prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Izzy. Good information to know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)