Why can there be but one god?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Slarty O'Brian profile image77
    Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years ago

I was talking to a Muslim and he told me:

"There can be only one God, because two forces in the universe, of that magnitude, would surely become jealous of each other and fight for dominance."

What do ya'll think?

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think there's so many it's caused global warming

just saying

hmm:

Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, man. That was my fault. Ate too many beans in the 70s.

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

lmfao

nice

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

maybe if there were more they'd start breeding and there'd be too many of them

You must go to Wall-mart on Pagan Tuesday sometime. They sell gods for a dime a dozen. wink

3. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quran provides the argument:

[21:20] To Him belongs whosoever is in the heavens and the earth. And those who are in His presence do not disdain to worship Him, nor do they weary;
      [21:21] They glorify Him night and day; and they flag not.
      [21:22] Have they taken gods from the earth who raise the dead?
      [21:23] If there had been in them (the heavens and the earth) other gods beside Allah, then surely both would have gone to ruin. Glorified then be Allah, the Lord of the Throne, above what they attribute.
      [21:24] He cannot be questioned as to what He does, but they will be questioned.
      [21:25] Have they taken gods beside Him? Say, ‘Bring forth your proof. Here is the Book of those with me, and the Book of those before me.’ Nay, most of them know not the truth, and so they turn away.
      http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=22

"[21:23] If there had been in them (the heavens and the earth) other gods beside Allah, then surely both would have gone to ruin. Glorified then be Allah, the Lord of the Throne, above what they attribute."

Sounds like the same general concept the Muslim I was talking to mentioned. Why would both have gone to ruin? Your book doesn't say.

1. profile image51

The word la-fasadata (f-s-d) is translated as ruin and also has the meaning of disorder or chaos.

The reasons are mentioned in this word.
          The Universe is working in one system; two gods will mean two systems for the universe which will ruin the system and create disorder in the universe as is very obvious.

2. profile image0
          just_curiousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the primary point that answers your question is the 'lord of the throne' part. The buck probably has to stop somewhere. Any belief in gods would lead to the concept of one over all. Which would cause the others to slowly take a back seat as more and more worshiped the one above the others. Or, so it would seem to me.

Which is what happened in all the pantheons. Which is also what usually happens in societies, I guess gods find it difficult to be democratic. wink

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I think your friend said a great deal more about the muslim philosophy than he intended to.

You could be right. But do you think there could be more than one god? If not, why not?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find it MUCH more difficult to imagine how a single God could exist.  Everything in our experience, living or not, is part of a larger community of like items.  Multiple animals, multiple species, multiple rocks, multiple planets and suns.  About the only thing we believe to be singular is the universe itself, and that is probably because it is, in a way, a human concept for everything else.

I'm with you. If you see one cockroach you know there are more. If one god exists there must be more than one. Unless god is the universe, wink

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But, Slarty, what would make you think that there would be only one Universe? tongue lol

Because no matter how many uniberses there are, there is only one totality! lol....

2. Jonathan Janco profile image61
            Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Took the words right out of my mouth. My belief in God is defined as the entirety of all creation existing as a whole, like a giant organized cell.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

The probability of a god existing is non-existent. If one did exist, then the possibility of more is likely. Making the probability greater and not non-existent.

Since the probability of one is non-existent, then it is impossible for one to exist. wink

Did all this always exist? Could something exist now if there was ever a time when nothing existed?

Something has had to always exist for anything to exist now. Can't get something from nothing.

And we didn't always exist, nor did the earth. By definition, what ever created or produced us is named god. So a god must exist.

The question is, is this god a conscious being? Or is it a natural process?

I'm an atheist, so I say it is likely a natural process. The process of existence, if you like.

But you are right. It should be up to theists to prove their god is even possible. The probabilities do approach zero.  wink

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing to prove except that which we can prove to ourselves.

Can I prove without a doubt to YOU ,,,  how much I love a "T" Bone steak ? 

No,  I can not ! you would have to take my word for it that!  I absolutely love "T" bone steak.

BUT   then again ????    I might be just pushing your leg!
        Maybe I am a Vegetatian????   

You just gotta take my word for it.

Or Not!

Or I just don't form a belief about it and leave it at that. I know you are telling me you love T bone. I've heard your nickname is T bone. And, I looked in your shopping cart last time you went to the supermarket. There was at least one T bone in there. You can't push my leg and tell me it's raining. lol....

4. profile image0
    jomineposted 12 years ago

God????

Yeah. That thing theists talk about all the time as if it is real. You know... the thing that created the universe 6000 years ago or more? No? Never heard of the concept? Well never mind then.... wink

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile
        So many people says so many thing about this god stuff, that it is very confusing. Let them first decide what this thing is, then we can talk about whatever it is..
        Creation?? Well theists don't care whether there is merit in their arguments? smile

Oh so you have heard of it. Too bad. The Catholics say if you never heard of it you don't automatically go to hell for not worshiping it. But once you have heard of it there is no excuse not to worship it. I thought you were one of the lucky ones. lol...

I agree that it should be better defined. But generally speaking we don't have to know exactly what it is as long as we define it as that which created or produced the universe and everything in it.

That could mean it is just a natural process. If it is, and that's my take on it, then it is a lot of related processes working together as one.

5. secularist10 profile image60
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

"There can be only one God, because two forces in the universe, of that magnitude, would surely become jealous of each other and fight for dominance."

It sounds like this person was referring to a God as in capital "G," not a lowercase "g." This would be consistent with the Muslim mentality, which is almost pathologically monotheist: "there is no god but Allah, blah, blah."

A god can be any powerful supernatural deity. But if you define "God" as the ONLY all-powerful and all-knowing entity in existence, then, by definition, there can only be one. It's simple semantics, as is typical.

That's why I capitalized the word. lol...

"But if you define "God" as the ONLY all-powerful and all-knowing entity in existence, then, by definition, there can only be one. It's simple semantics, as is typical."

Yes. But the question I put to him is: "Why can there be only one god? Why not a dozen?" and he answered with the above.

I think it says a lot about what his god is like, as wilderness mentioned above. The same as the Christian god, in fact. He's a jealous mess and would kill another god if it existed. And people worship this thing? lol....

1. secularist10 profile image60
        secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you lived in a cosmic North Korea, you'd be well-advised to worship the Dear Leader... ahem... Dear Lord, too!

Hard to believe, isn't it? But that is exactly where the Jewish/Christian/Muslim god was based on. No doubt. Every king in the region said he was a son of god back then.

6. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

there are millions of gods, but there can only be one true god, is that not so.

1. profile image51

there can only be one true god

Why?

1. secularist10 profile image60
          secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I heard it on TV, so it must be true.

1. Ezybonds profile image61
            Ezybondsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There can only be one god because whoever that was, created all other things, however God could allow (and has) allowed lesser gods to function.

1. profile image51

There are no other gods; so there is no question of allowing other gods to function. It must be a fallacy.

How do you know? Don't quote a book. Give me a rational reason.

1. profile image51

I give the reason mentioned in the Book; it will stand even if I don't quote from the Truthful Word revealed.

Is it difficult to understand that a system works only if it is from one authority? if there will be two or more authorities one will overcome the other and only one will remain as an absolute power.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
                    Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but the Quran cannot support the Quran.

You mean, like a dictatorship works but a system of democracy would not?

So, again we see evidence of one entity destroying the other in order to gain absolute power over all. I wonder what sort of doctrine would teach that type of decision making process to it's followers?

Isn't religion marvelous? smile

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image77

Maybe god made himself a female god out of his own rib and then had baby gods. Why not?

The logic of the book is faulty. There have always been pantheons of gods. If a god has a sun or daughter they are gods.

7. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"There can only be one god because whoever that was, created all other things"
    Assumes a first creation like the big-bang.
    Is there no other way to think?

8. knolyourself profile image61

"only one will remain as an absolute power."
    How about night and day?

1. profile image51

Night and day follow one another; don't you observe.

9. knolyourself profile image61

"Night and day follow one another; don't you observe."
    Guess not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)