What is your favourite PC RPG Game?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Ainarand profile image61
    Ainarandposted 13 years ago

I have played a lot of PC RPG games over the years and liked a number of them for different reasons. My guess is that other people feel the same and I am curious about what makes a good game from other peoples point of view.

For instance I played and enjoyed Warcraft, but many people don't agree it even is a RPG game and I see their point.  Similarly something like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is definitely a roleplaying game and has great graphics but has other issues that make it less than perfect.

So, what is your favourite PC RPG game and why?

1. Lobster Dog profile image55
      Lobster Dogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a lot of favorites, but they make me feel old smile For the recent releases, I think I liked Dungeons Dragons online & Eternal Eden the most. DDO is just plain fun, and EE had a really charming story.

Ainarandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lobster Dog,

You might have just hit the nail on the head.  I AM old! lol

2. reagu profile image64
      reaguposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Been awhile now, but Baldur's Gate was great.  I'm glad some listed Diablo II because that was fun.  I still play Dark Age of Camelot and never tried WoW.

3. profile image49
      UberrPenguinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay first off it by "warcraft" u mean world of warcraft IT SUCKS!Play Allods Online it's a much better game with much better graphics and more in depth lvl system.Also my favourite PC online game is Maplestory.It's NO DOUBT the best game for pc it's free online amazing lvl system not just one way t make your character powerful but 2 ways!Using ap for ability points then sp skill points which you use for Strength,Intellect,something i forgot,then Luck.

2. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

My favorite Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade because it allows you to select the vampire clan, traits and has a different ending depending on the vampire you choose

1. profile image51
      teddeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

diablo II
                  u must have heard of it we hit monsters by magic ,scepters, swords depended on you'r charrector u choose

Diablo II rocks!

Fast paced RPG mayhem!

2. profile image49
        UberrPenguinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Diablo ll is awesome!!!!!!>big_smile

2. Ainarand profile image61

Only ever played the pencil and paper version of Vampire: the Masquerade, but it was very good.

3. madeline Oscar profile image60
    madeline Oscarposted 13 years ago

Deus EX Invisible War is my favorite one.

1. GreatSiteBabbler profile image58
      GreatSiteBabblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you play Deus Ex Human Revolution?

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I like the bubble-exploding game, because it's mindless and meditative, and time-wasting.

Heh.  My girlfriend loves games like that for the same reasons.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I'll go with the Diablo series by Blizzard Entertainment.

I have them all. The original Diablo, the expansion "Hellfire", then Diablo II, and the expansion for it as well - "Lord of Destruction".

It started a whole new era for RPGs. Which, spawn off many titles.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand the attraction (probaly I'm too old) but one of my sons is gainfully employed by Zynga-- so I hope they live long and prosper.

Diablo is a classic, in its various versions.  It is a type of game that has been copied many times, but Blizz do it best.  My only complaint with it is the pace of it...occasionally I like to watch the sun go down and have a laugh with online friends.  Diablo ain't that kinda game. ;-)

Congrats on the Adsense payout Cagsil btw. big_smile

6. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 13 years ago

Definitely Diablo II here...you'll not here from me for a year if/when Diablo III comes out, hehe.

Waiting for Diablo III too.  smile

7. Dense profile image61
    Denseposted 13 years ago

Dungeon Siege II.
    Diablo was fun when it first came out.
    I haven't played enough RPG or any newer ones to be a good judge of RPGs.
    Warcraft's an RTS, don't know of anyone who classifies it as RPG.

1. Dense profile image61
      Denseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto Hellfire. Diabo II was less fun for me.
      My love of accumulating Gold Coins in RPGs like Diablo has brought me to Dungeon Siege II and then Mafia Wars and finally Hubpages where I drool every few hours getting a kick out of seeing the Gold Coins dropping into my Adsense account.
      It's not much really at the moment but you get the picture. smile

Warcraft can be an RPG if you want to play it that way, it is just that most don't. There are full blown RP servers... 

I mainly played on PvE servers as I didn't want the PvP to get in the way of other stuff, but I have done Arena/Endless BG's and world PvP at times too.

3. Ainarand profile image61

Ooooh just had a thought after posting that last comment. 

By "Warcraft" I mean "World of Warcraft" and not the battle game.  smile

8. cabinetkings profile image61
    cabinetkingsposted 13 years ago

Nexus, the Kingdom of the Winds is my favorite RPG ever. I used to play it a long time ago but I used to live on that game. It's a shame no one really knows about it.

I admit my ignorance on this one too.  sad

9. vaguesan profile image70
    vaguesanposted 13 years ago

You mentioned Oblivion and that it has flaws. Well, if you want the oblivion experience without the Oblivion flaws, and a much deeper spell system, go with its older brother, Morrowind.
    I still play it from time to time despite its age.

But for me, the best PC RPG of all time would have to be Baldur's Gate 2. I'm surprised nobody has mention it. The story is amazing, and beautiful and makes one feel almost every emotion possible by the end of the game. The voice acting and art are perfect also.

The diablo series also ranks highly on my list. Miss my 1.09 buriza and titan's revenge amazon.

Yep, I still have a copy of Morrowind around somewhere but it is not installed anymore.  It is a great game, despite its age. 

Diablo is awesome to play, but sometimes i want a bit more thought and less *Zap zap, pow pow*  smile

Agree also that Baldur's Gate is a great game that is mostly ignored.

10. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

Zuma

11. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

I like doom, bubble, zuma, brain challenger, call of duty, splinter cell and many more.
    One of the best PC game is FarCry, the reality and the sceneries are so perfect. Must play this game, you gonna rock

Was kinda looking for RPG games and not FPS but I like some FPS also. smile

12. profile image0
    askpowersposted 13 years ago

ASSASINS really do rock in the category of RPGs...
    Its grafix are really awesome and the story gets u invovled in it.. n u get curious about the coming sequences...
    Its a must Play....

13. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 13 years ago

Hard to choose one, so I'm going with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series.

Fallout is great.  Honestly dont know if I prefer 2 to 3 or not.  Fallout 3 is "prettier" if you get my drift (can post holocaust ever be pretty?), but Fallout 2 is good for its simplicity.

14. mrpopo profile image73
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

I think my favourite is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Good gameplay, intriguing story, all set in the realm of Star Wars. What more can you ask for?

A friend of mine recently recommended another RPG from the same makers of KOTOR, Bioware. It's called Jade Empire, and though I never played it my friend said he liked it even more than KOTOR.

Speaking of Bioware, they've come out with yet another RPG, called Dragon Age: Origins. It has lots of great reviews for the PC version, and decent reviews for the 360 version.

Here's a trailer for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNWppHev3ZA

Warning: It's pretty violent (18+)

Never really got into KOTOR.  I have a mate that seems to have played everything and he loves it.  He tried to get me to play it more, but real life keeps getting in the way... smile

1. mrpopo profile image73
        mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, that darned real life... why can't we live in a Star Wars universe? tongue

Actually I never even beat it, I wanted to start fresh but I still haven't gotten around to it. It's installed on my brand new Acer, just waiting for me to play it... once I get some time I'll get into it again smile

15. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 13 years ago

Wow so many to choose from. I loved the old Baldur's Gate series - but recently have found perhaps three that are in fact better than this series:

Dragon Age - from the makers of Baldur's Gate - has great graphics and sound on the PC-  a very very good plot and an intrigued moral based system that will change the plot as you go - very replayable.

Divinity II: another really good moral based story, with excellent graphics and an intriguing system - really BAD ending though.

The Witcher - one of the most atmospheric RPGs I've played - now they have an 'improved' version out it is definately by far one of the best RPGs I've played.

There are many others too - Drakensang - Oblivion , Fallout 3

SimeyC

Yeah, the Dragon Age series/expansions are great.  Witcher is something I have on my Amazon wishlist but my girlfriend isn't taking the hint.  smile

16. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

Dragon Age is a good modern day RPG. If you want to go old school, get Daggerfall, it's freely available (it was released by publisher to the public for free since 2009 or so). It's also the largest RPG to date, and Morrowind is only 0.01 the size of it. It has 6 different endings.

Snippet from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Scrolls_II

17. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Probably Planescape: Torment.  The engine is pretty creaky and the battles aren't fun like they are in similar titles that came along later like Baldur's Gate 2, but it really allows you to play anyway you want.  The story is also pretty ambitious and it isn't afraid to make the players read.

18. vaguesan profile image70
    vaguesanposted 13 years ago

Planescape has an insane story, and a great atmosphere. Although I have to admit I never played through it completely. I should go back and try finishing it. Although right now im balls deep in a play through of baldurds gate 2. Soloing it with a fight/mage/theif  this time around.

19. Roffi Grandiosa profile image59
    Roffi Grandiosaposted 13 years ago

i'm currently playing dragon age origins.. great game.. but quite hard for n00bs

20. Christian H. profile image61
    Christian H.posted 13 years ago

I did most of my RPG gaming on consoles, so I haven't really played all that many PC RPGs.  However, of the ones I've played, I think that Fable was my favorite.

21. visitmaniac profile image59
    visitmaniacposted 13 years ago

I always seem to come back to Eve online above any of the others. But I do tend to get bored with it to lol.

Right now I am playing world of warcraft and eve besides that I found Vanguard sega of heros to be interesting and fun ther's a lot to do in that game.

22. wormdo profile image61
    wormdoposted 13 years ago

Definitely Knights of the Old Republic, both 1 and 2. I have a soft spot for Jade Empire too.

23. profile image0
    Inkypenposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't consider Diablo, in all its incarnations, an RPG but rather a hack-an-slash rpg title. I am not sure it has many traditional RPG elements, nor do Call of Duty or Far Cry 2 for that matter though I still enjoy the latter's open world.

Stuff released by Bioware certainly has a place in any "Best of" or favourite lists, like Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate (both titles actually.)

My personal favourites are Morrowind and Oblivion though. Despite the lack of multiplayer features it has an immense modding community and the scope for Role-play becomes endless. Then there are the huge worlds to explore. Oh, and I've also picked up Drakensang which seems really good.

24. profile image53
    unseenposted 13 years ago

why does it have to be a pc rpg? there have been amazing games on consoles that the pc cant touch, i mean games like The Secret Of Mana. but if your limiting me to the pc i'll go with morrowind and oblivion

1. webdesignerX9 profile image59
      webdesignerX9posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oblivion and Planescape torment

25. GreatSiteBabbler profile image58
    GreatSiteBabblerposted 13 years ago

Dragon Age: Origins, dude!cool

26. Ryn Taylor profile image61
    Ryn Taylorposted 13 years ago

Knights of the Old Republic was the first RPG I played and my favorite.  I think it's partly my favorite because it was my first; I had nothing to compare it to.  I loved it for the story, or the stories rather, from the overarching main story to the small stories you'd learn about people you ran into, to the stories of your expanding crew.  I also loved the Star Wars element, which allowed for a rich background.  And I loved all the little things, the dialogue, the saving mechanism, the inventory, the combat mode. 

I have to admit that I haven't played a lot of the ones other people mentioned.  But I also have an intense, unprovoked dislike of isometric projection.

27. johndwilliams profile image83
    johndwilliamsposted 13 years ago

Baldurs Gate 2 - just for its total immersion and quests.

A close second is Planescape Torment, even better now with mods and patched to allow it to be played at higher resolutions.

Deus Ex is a close third - simple an amazing game for me

28. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

Knights of the Old Republic without a doubt for me. Kotor 2 was good too, but it still can't compare to the first.

1. iamalegend profile image60
      iamalegendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

call of juarez. so cool

29. The Jet profile image66
    The Jetposted 13 years ago

Star Wars KOTOR.

30. gamesinlove profile image59
    gamesinloveposted 12 years ago

To be quite honest? I am and always have been INFATUATED with the Zork games. All of them. lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)