The cross-dressers responsibility?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. GaeHall profile image61
    GaeHallposted 12 years ago

It is interesting how often a woman finds out after dating a man for sometime, even after being married, that prior to their relationship commencing, he cross-dressed.

Do others agree that it is a responsibility of cross-dressers to disclose this aspect of their personality and behaviour to those considering future potential relationships?

Would that be a basis for breaking up?

1. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw this post and had a good laugh. People often assume that mainly gay men go around wearing womens clothes because they like doing it. Well, they would be close. A lot of gay men who cross-dress do it for a living, and to make money doing shows and performing in women's clothes. The few gay men that do wear women's clothes because they choose to, always wear womens clothes, because that's how they are most comfortable with themselves. A majority of gay men do not wear women's clothing at all, with no interest whatsoever.

Straight men are a different story, and, a little bit more secretive in their cross-dressing.  Telling your wife or girlfriend that you cross-dress is like telling them you are also a compulsive masturbator. They usually do it when they are alone while the girlfriend or wife is out of the house. Few actually go all out though. And, that is dressing up in drag and going shopping to see if anyone notices, or thinks they are pretty. But, a majority of straight men who cross-dress do it for their own enjoyment, and would rather not have anyone know that they are doing it, including the girlfriend or wife. And, I don't see that as being a big issue. Unless he is doing it to attract men...then that might be a problem for a couple to deal with.

I actually knew a so-called straight man who cross-dressed and then he would go out and see if he could get a man to hit on him. Then go as far as sex to see if the guy would freak out if he knew he was a man. He claims that a majority still had sex with him anyways. DRUNKS!!! LOL!!

Unless the cross-dresser is doing it for something that might get in the way of his relationship with his girlfriend or wife, I don't see a problem.
      I would say, if she suspects ask him. Don't expect him to tell you, because he probably won't. Let him tell you.

And, if you are wondering about how I know about the straight guy in the dress, I picked him up in a bar. He was wearing a man's uniform, with a complete french teddy and women's underwear underneath. YUKKKK!!!!

1. littlelacesecret profile image61
        littlelacesecretposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you wouldn't continue to see him? What if you found out months after you began to like him would it make him a different man? I too wear panties, but I work hard play hard and love women and life

2. Greg Sage profile image40
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Does he shop at Victor's Secret?

1. thighhighchick profile image60
        thighhighchickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might be able to get a volume discount if you both shop there

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Yes and maybe.smile

3. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

So he likes to cross-dress?  So what?  So he likes to buy his foundation garments from a Frederick's catalog instead of Fruit of the Loom?   Who cares?  I sure don't.  What if I like to wear men's boxers under my jeans, or go comando for that matter?  Do I have a responsibility to tell anybody?  I don't think so.  So, I don't think he's under any obligation to tell anyone either, unless he wants to.  If my guy wants to keep his teddies and heels in his own closet, so be it.  There are far worse things your guy could be into than lacey undies.  It's certainly not any reason to end a relationship in my opinion.

As long as they are not my undies its his deal. I would hope he would come forward to me but he is not under any responsibility too

Gives a whole new meaning to "wanting to get into your pants" Lol
        I am a big women so I have made love to people in lingerie before they just didn't have a real flesh one. LOL

That don't come out right. I meant I am a big women lover not "I am a big women"

4. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

If it's something he is not doing anymore then maybe it wouldn't matter now. I don't want to know everything all at once. There are things I don't mind finding out later in the relationship. It could have been a phase.

5. Kate Spenser profile image75
    Kate Spenserposted 12 years ago

I think that in any relationship, people should have the right to wait until they feel comfortable with the person to reveal more "sensitive" aspects of themselves - whether it is that they are a crossdresser, they suffer from depression or OCD, they were abused as a child, had a chronic illness, have a learning disability, had a drug problem, they hate classic movies, they can only have sex with the lights off, don't eat anything that's green...or any other thing that is "unexpected" or could be considered a taboo or hot-button topic in our society. People ought to be able feel that they are in a safe environment before they reveal anything about themselves that might be a sensitive subject...and anyone who has ever been on a first date knows that a first date is far from a "safe" feeling situation!

I think part of the problem in situations like this is that our society's definition of masculinity is so narrowly defined that we automatically assume that men who enjoy anything "feminine," including dressing in women's clothing, are weird, or something is wrong with them. But really, if you know someone well enough as a person and care for them enough that you've been in a relationship with them for a little while, I don't think any revelation of a "secret" of any sort (save, perhaps, that they murdered their last partner or something) should be automatic grounds for a breakup! Sure, you might be surprised, shocked, confused, or whatever, but just because you found something out about the person doesn't change who they are as a person - I think anyone who wasn't at least willing to hear the person out and learn about what motivates their desires, etc probably wasn't worth dating to begin with.

6. thighhighchick profile image60
    thighhighchickposted 12 years ago

Well said

7. 4tune profile image60
    4tuneposted 12 years ago

Agree with Kate and if I loved someone.. No I would care about that sort of thing, even if taken aback at first but that would only be because it was hidden for too long.

It is just too bad people can't be what they are from the get go then there would be less confusion and more women taking these men home with an already clear understanding of them I think.

8. Jonathan Janco profile image59
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Depends on what level of crossdressing youre talking about. For someone who has a serious fetish, he should probably tell his wife/girlfriend just for his own sake. If she's into it or atleast open minded, it could hurt the relationship by keeping it secret. If she's going to be judgmental about it,the relationship is probably a farce to begin with. I have some mild tendencies in this area but nothing a mentally mature woman couldnt deal with. I find pantyhose to be comfortable when its too warm for longjohns but still too cold for loose long pants and short underwear. And I have dressed in drag for Halloween a couple of times. When I have a girlfriend, I usually demand a pair of her panties as a token of our commitment. Every woman I have seriously dated has indulged me in this pretty much without an issue. Some will ask me if I wear them and I'll say, 'once in a while', but it's really just a symbol of possession for me.

I don't think its necessarily a good thing to be secretive about this sort of thing, because I believe in honesty and openness in a relationship, but I can understand considering the many many many things women generally keep secret about themselves without batting an eyelash.

9. profile image51
    SandyGalposted 12 years ago

A cross dresser,  one that enjoys the free feeling of feminine clothing, as well as the 'taboo' nature of that - remains closeted and fearful for many years.   How does he admit that to casual dates?  He doesn't of course,  but then - one appeals to him a bit more, but it's not quite serious yet.  Does he now admit it?  Of course not.  A bit more time and it does become serious, he 'loves' her!  Does he now tell - and lose her? No - I doubt any guy, as a closeted cross dresser,  could admit his hobby? or desire, or fetish or whatever -- and risk losing her.

For the cross dresser not interested in going public,  there doesn't seem to be a good time to tell.  But as the relationship deepens and marriage looms, there is no 'good time' to tell - and any responsibility takes a back seat.

I'd imagine this scenario plays itself out uncountable times in society.

10. profile image48
    missanonposted 12 years ago

Hi Everyone

Very very new to this page and this world. I have a boyfriend of six months and whilst spending time at his home i have discovered he is a cross dresser possibly more. He doesnt know that i know and im trying to research and read up on this to help me be more supportive. Thing is do i let him know i know or keep it a secret?!?!?!  its really stressing me out.

You didn't say if his cross dressing bothered you. If it does then I am sorry this relationship probably wont work. But if you can deal with this then have some fun with it. Ask him to wear a pair of your panties, or just put a pair that you buy him on him before bed one night. Dont ask him about it or tell him you know because he will deny it. But if you bring it up the way I suggested he may just tell you. Is he into full cross dressing or just under dressing?  (Wearing female lingerie )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)