Credit Where It Is Due.....

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (35 posts)
  1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 12 years ago

Okay, I've had it.  On forums and social networking across the board today I have heard the death of Bin laden politicized, with Obama still taking heat for this or that, as well as the predictable conspiracy nutjob theories.

I'll keep it simple.  President Obama did exactly the right thing at the right time, and as such should be commended.  We know how he feels about the war and Gitmo and numerous other related issues, but when everything was on the line, he acted decisively and with courage, and gave the only order that could have been given.

Well done, Mr. President, and we thank you.  Yes, we will still have our differences, but not this day....

1. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. We know the US has had this opportunity before and DID NOT take it. The Obama Admin has had two of these situations and has answered the call correctly. Do I agree with everything? NO, I don't even agree with the burial at Sea. However, actionable inteligence was recieved and was acted upon, end of discussion. We can theorize this to death as to motivation. The end result is that the terrorist organization, AQ is less capable today than it was last Monday.

What this proves to me is that we DON'T need a standing Army in a foriegn country to prosecute this war. What we need is inteligence gathering and rough men who "stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

1. Paraglider profile image88
        Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I seem to be agreeing with you tonight. (Well it's night here in Doha!)

1. profile image56
          C.J. Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In times like these people do need to focus on the issues where there is common ground. This will give us all a feeling of accomplishment and encourage compromise on issues where there is less common ground.

Times like these require results, not rhetoric and ideology. I think those of us who are capable of looking at things in a more "clinical" way are more likely to agree during times such as these.

No doubt you and I often differ in political and religious ideology

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+ (although I do understand the buriel at sea)

+ and for the OP.  I believe it took exceptional courage/guts on Obama's watch to make this call. Thank you Mr. President.

2. DTR0005 profile image61
      DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perfect said Billy

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My reaction, also.  But I don't want to offend Billy. He and I are comfortably in exclusive realities which never agree.

3. sn53Anon profile image61
      sn53Anonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, okay. But where is the fun of agreeing?

I prefer to wait to see what he knew and when he knew it. Did he know earlier and not act? Was he waiting to get closer to the election?  Was this information compromised on Wikileaks?

1. DTR0005 profile image61
        DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - so go dig a hole loll

1. sn53Anon profile image61

:-) If there is a hole it will be dug by others and commented on by me.

4. sn53Anon profile image61

I noted that the title of this hub is credit where credit is due. So should we thank Mr. Bush, Mr. Cheney, and Mr. Rumsfeld for the part they played is establishing Club Gitmo, the Rendition program, additional special operators, plus the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? What about the PATRIOT Act? Shouldn't President Obama, who was against all of those things be thanking President "W" Bush?

1. proudlib profile image60
        proudlibposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure, if you can prove that any of those people or things really  contributed to Obama's success and the downsides weren't greater than the positives..

2. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for pointing out why this is no different than Bushco. They are still giving cover for the real enemies of America.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Excerpt from Washington Post/Pew Poll taken Monday night:

"More than three-quarters of all Americans say the president deserves credit for the killing of the bin Laden in Pakistan on Sunday. Among Republicans, 61 percent say Obama deserves at least some credit for the move. But just 17 percent of them say he deserves a “great deal” of credit for bringing bin Laden to justice after a nearly 10-year pursuit by U.S. intelligence and military forces."

This is the part I do not understand:
        Can someone explain???

Republicans are more apt to give former president George W. Bush acclaim for killing bin Laden, with 81 percent saying he deserves at least some of the credit for what happened Sunday. Only 35 percent of Democrats share that view, however, with a slender 4 percent giving the former president a lot of credit.

"There is more bipartisan agreement that the U.S. military and intelligence deserve a great deal of credit for the killing."

From my perspective, liberals, in general, have proclaimed loudly and for a very long time, that they oppose everything that is fundamental to this success. So I am a bit suspicious when the boy president and liberals in general believe they did a very great thing. The current leader of the regime has stood against everything of value without actually stopping any of it.
          History will be the judge.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your point here sn53Anon.
            1. Liberals oppose everything that is fundamental to this success.
            Do you mean interrogation techniques that led to critical information?
            Or do you mean any kind of military action?
            Or something else....
            2. You are suspicious when the boy president and liberals in general believe they did a very great thing.
            I'm not sure who the word "they" refers to here.
            Liberals do not believe "we" (as in "liberals") did a very great thing.
            I think liberals -- along with most of the rest of Americns -- believe ridding the world of Osama bin Laden IS a great thing.
            A very great thing that should have been done years ago... but wasn't.
            3. The current leader of the regime has stood against everything of value...
            Please define these things of value that Mr. Obama stands against
            4. ... without stopping any of it
            Meaning he has stood against things but not taken action?
            And if they are things of value, are they not things that Congress needs to vote on (e.g., Obama himself cannot take action even if he is against something)?

Sorry to be dense and I am sincere in wanting to understand this line of thinking. Thank you for your indulgence. MM

Well, opposition to intelligence gathering.
              Opposition to special operations.
              Opposition to the military in general.
              Opposition to interrogations which liberals describe as torture.
              Opposition to spending for military purposes.

Yes. Obama and liberals in general. The boy president takes credit. And liberals, in general, believe, that he did a great thing. He was there and made the right decision to attack. But all of the infrastructure that allowed him to have this victory, was put into place by President Bush.

Granted.

See above.

Things such as ending the USAPATRIOT Act, closing the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, ending the wars in Iran and Afghanistan, cutting defense spending...

I should learn to be more precise.

1. lovemychris profile image76

You are tripping!

THIS is Barack Obama:

“What I have said is we're going encourage democracy in Pakistan, expand our non-military aid to Pakistan so that they have more of a stake in working with us, but insisting that they go after these militants. And if we have Osama bin Laden in our sights and the Pakistani government is unable or unwilling to take them out, then I think that we have to act, and we will take them out. We will kill bin Laden. We will crush al-Qaida. That has to be our biggest national security priority.”

Sources:

Second presidential debate: foreign policy, Oct. 7, 2008

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

I cannot speak for anyone but myself (and I am more centrist than liberal), but...
                I am not anti-military.
                I am anti unwarranted military actions.
                Special ops are essential. Always have been and this is perhaps the poster child example.
                There is a huge difference between invading a country on false premises than a highly targeted military action.

I think Obama has proved that he cannot be stereotyped.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77

Well said, Billy.
      Spoken like a real American.
      MM

2. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

I agree with you on this one Billy D, commend you for taking a stand on hubpages and making this statement! smile

3. DannyMaio profile image60
    DannyMaioposted 12 years ago

Agreed He finally did something right!! I give him credit for making a good decision! Hope he keeps making more of the right decisions.

4. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

You OK sn53Anon?

:-)

Sure. After the tornadoes with all of the deaths and destruction I have power on again at my humble abode. I am very sore from stooping to pick up the debris shredded by the winds and scattered over a dozen acres. After I could stoop no longer I ran the wheel-barrows from the field to the debris pile for another hour.

For the very first time I recognize the difference between those who are in their twenties and those of us who are 58. Today I am walking more slowly and gingerly. By tomorrow I should be fine. And once the power is back on I shall have the opportunity to resume working.

1. junko profile image68
        junkoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's is good

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

I didn't realize you were hit like that. Glad you are doing ok!!

The community I went to as part of the volunteer cleanup had a U-shaped road. All of the houses on one side of the "U" down to the bottom of the "U" were 50-100% destroyed. There was almost nothing left. The tornadoes ripped everything to shreds. I found two photographs. We kept them. They will be cleaned, digitized and posted on the Internet.

I had very little damage. Fortunately the three main tracks passed me by to my north and south.

More than 200 people died. And nearly 2,000 were seriously injured.

I was without power from Wednesday through yesterday.

Thanks,

5. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"But all of the infrastructure that allowed him to have this victory, was put into place by President Bush."

Once again..thankyou! Patriot Act, Guantanamo, Renditions, Torture--all Bush.

You don't want to give Obama credit then please--take all the credit for that Un-Constitutional, Un-American crap.

Yep. You make my point better than I did. Everything that made this victory possible for Obama was put into place by President Bush. The only credit Obama gets is being in the right place at the right time. I give him credit for agreeing to the mission. But no more than that. Everything else that had to be done was done by people better than him over a long period of time.

1. lovemychris profile image76

"Everything else that had to be done was done by people better than him over a long period of time."

ahahahahahaha, you righty's kill me.

Hmm, wouldn't surprise me if Obama was in a team like that....maybe these guys were friends of his....you never know.
        He was rumored to be British M15 you know. wink

ahahahahahahahahaaaaa--thanks for the laugh anon!!

I am always happy to be of service.

6. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 12 years ago

I still cannot stand Obama's domestic policies but he made a hard decision and a big gamble even though the intelligence was pretty rock solid. And even though his rules of engagement have been terrible in Afghanistan on this one he let the SEALS show their teeth no holds barred. Yep I give him all kinds of praise on this one. But this tit for tat schoolyard behavior on these forums here at HP is getting dumb !

Hey Tony!
      Do you think we should exit Afghanistan now?

1. tony0724 profile image59
        tony0724posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ABSOLUTELY !

Yes, me too. What else can we possibly be doing there now?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)