collecting flower seeds

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (43 posts)
  1. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

I collect the seeds from my zinnias in the fall so I have seeds to plant next year. Do you, and what all annuals does this work with?
    Mostly I have perennials smile Thanks

1. jeri741 profile image60
      jeri741posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I collect seeds from my zinnias to I also collect from marigolds, sunflowers.and geraniums

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too... I have plenty of Zinnias which reseed themselves and I also collect the seeds. I do the same with my cosmos!

2. Patsybell profile image83
      Patsybellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

After your seeds are completly dry, store them in a cool, dry location. I like to collect seed from marigolds, because I plant a lot of them in my herb and vegetable gardens. Calendula, bachelor buttons, holly hocks are easy to save because the seed is relatively large, Poppies are very small and usually pretty pricey. I have had good luck collecting these tiny seeds. Most people have problems with poppies because they plant them too late in the spring.

2. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

in my garden, I kill voluntarily those plants which does not provide edible fruit and vegetables..

and I kill by accident those plants that do

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh! You truly are a pest! yikes

1. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pest, pest , pessky pest!!

2. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

haha!  I have been carefully cultivating a few weeds all summer because I thought they were flowers - now that they have gone to seed they will probably take over the whole garden!  I'm always afraid to pull up weeds, for fear they were something Iactually planted.  I am thinking I'll just plant bulbs from now on.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The CFLs are supposed to be better than the old fashioned bulbs, but I haven't been able to get them to grow.

1. mega1 profile image79

CFLs?

Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs.

h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ahhh smile

2. mega1 profile image79

but do they grow well?  Maybe they get too tall.  I think I'll just stick to my tulips and freesias and hyacinths!

1. alternate poet profile image67
                alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same applies to bulbs - you can swap bulbs with someone up country if you want bigger and better flowers.

3. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

you can smoke them = I heard from someone

hmm:

4. leandroflorist profile image39
    leandrofloristposted 13 years ago

Me too, I collect seeds of sunflower. Check this site http://www.squidoo.com/best-san-leandro-florist

5. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I have cosmos too smile I'll also be watching for CFL meaning! Thank you, Holly

6. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

I've collected and grown from seed columbines, marigolds, zinnias, sunflowers, bachelor buttons, poppies, 4 o'clocks, pansies, johnny-jump-ups, nastershum, sweet peas and many others.  Occasionally I have even gathered a weed or two by mistake, like the time I brought home bind-weed.  Nasty mistake -- there is no such thing as wild morning glory!  It is a noxious weed!

7. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I tried chicken farming one time but I was planting them too deep apparently.

Collecting your own seeds can be a good idea but if you continue to do this the flowers or fruit normally get smaller and smaller or less and less.  Inbreeding, like in aything, tends to return the plant to its wild state.  If you want to collect seeds it is best to find someone to swap them with who is as far from you as possible.  It improves the stock if the other seeds come from just a few miles away, but better if it further, different plants fare differently - I don't know, but it may have to do with the pollination area, and bees can really travel if they like something.

1. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
      Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I grow poppies in my yard and save the seeds not only to grow again each year but I make poppy seed muffins and bread.  I swap seeds with neighbors who have other colors that I like and then sometimes you get entirely different flowers from cross-pollination.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Know what's fun? Collecting the dried seeds from flowering bulbs and growing your own bulbs. Takes 3/4 years for them to grow big enough to flower.
    I've got some amaryllis I grew from seed. Don't know yet what flower they will have - might even be a new variety!

9. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Lavatera. [psst..see a photo in my beautiful garden hub].

10. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I have a first floor apartment, so no flowers from which to collect seeds!

I do need some house plants though, anybody recommend any which are not easily killed when PC addicts forget to water them?

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cactus  -  and here in China they claim that putting a cactus near your monitor will absorb radiation !

Radiation!!-- Quick, where's my cactus?

2. sofs profile image77

Ryan don't forget to feed that adorable creature you have  sad  dont bother about plants,  they need a lot of love and attention.
      Sunflowers , cosmos , zenias and I have about fifteen variates of lilies I collect their bulbs year after  year ,  grow new plants and give my friends as I have only a 10 x 5 feet balcony in my apartment!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't even have a balcony! Although I am in the UK, how often would I use it? Four weeks a year? lol

Of course I won't forget to feed Coco, she is my little girl and daddy loves her far too much... I will be much more likely to be a little 'too generous' with the food!

1. sofs profile image77

Hey my doggie is Choco!!  smile  Go slow on the food..  pugs have a tendecy to put on too much weight, make sure to exercise her enough... she is still a baby though!!  smile

11. Louis Taylor profile image61
    Louis Taylorposted 13 years ago

You can save perennial flower seeds too, it is easy to grow them from seeds if you want more of them. I always collect lupin seeds foxglove seeds, and the cerinthe seeds, well many of them i dont have to collect, the seedlings will just appear next spring and i save the little seedlings. That is one advantage of being a messy gardener smile

h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With most of perrenials I let them self seed or in the spring I divide the plants. I just never spent much time on annuals before. Thanks for all the tips, you are bloomin great hub friends smile

12. IsadoraPandora profile image80
    IsadoraPandoraposted 13 years ago

I save seeds from nearly everything I grow. I also allow my plants to go to seed. I have the best growing luck with seeds that are left to their own devices. I still save sum though--just in case, lol.

It gives me something to look forward to during the winter months--planting ll those seeds, lol.

1. IsadoraPandora profile image80
      IsadoraPandoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I meant to say--I allow seeds to fall on the ground too.

Of course I allow them to go to seed, LOL.

13. profile image54
    jldodgeposted 13 years ago

I collect seeds from all my plants, all the ones mentioned and tons more... also if you really like a flower in an arrangement, you almost always can dry the flower and get seeds from it as well... I got a lot of cone flowers, rudbeckia and blackeyed susans that way.

14. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I shouldn't admit this on a public forum, but I have NEVER been been able to get ANY seeds beyond doing really well for the first two or three inches before I kill them off.  lol  (The only time I planted successfully from seeds was when I was a preschooler, and my father let me plants some marigold seeds and then took care of the watering/feeding himself (of course).  The was the LAST time I ever saw any flowers come from any seeds.  lol  I pretty much know to buy the plants/flowers I know can survive where, with minimal input from me - already in bloom.  (It makes people think I know what I'm doing when they thrive.  lol  )  (I once thought I'd save the bulbs from some tulips someone gave me.  I put the bulbs in and they never came up.  It took me two years to figure out I'd put them in upside down.  roll)

1. willtiti88 profile image54
      willtiti88posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That"s funny.

1. Lisa HW profile image64
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't when I was waiting and waiting to see those tulips show up the following year, and nothing happened.  I blamed squirrels for eating the bulbs.  lol  )

Oh. Then its really sad. Tupip flowers are really beautiful. It really pains. I understand.

15. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Way to go Lisa.  Live and learn huh?  Success at planting mainly requires that you know how deep to plant the bulbs/seeds.  This is really the key.  If you plant seeds too deep (or shallow) they may not germinate properly (some are kind of fussy).  Study a few books on planting seeds etc.

Also..regular watering, but not too much..is essential for germination.  If you let the soil around seeds dry out, even once, they'll give up.  You may not be able to revive them.

Ok..there's our little botany lesson for today. smile

16. Diane Inside profile image74
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I can't grow anything exept mold, my bread grows it easily.

I kill everything. I finally decided to have mercy on them and stopped buying anything to try to plant.

My yard has either bushes, evergreens, or vines, not by choice thats just what was already there.

And I try killing the vines, but they just won't die. I pull em, they just come back.

I guess if I let them grow over take my house, I can claim I'm in the Ivy league.

That's very risky. It is very unhealthy. Start doing something now, otherwise you will regret later.

17. willtiti88 profile image54
    willtiti88posted 13 years ago

What is Leaf Mold?

18. LeroyShane profile image57
    LeroyShaneposted 12 years ago

As with any harvest, your best seeds come from your best plants. Select the parent plants based on overall health and vigor as well as other characteristics you deem important.

19. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I'm able to get seeds of most kinds to thrive to about 3" tall - at which stage in their growth I inevitably kill them with too much, or too little, water.  It's always so sad to see such promise turn hay-colored.   lol  I like to tell myself that it's the dry environment in the house; but, really, I shouldn't be allowed to ever have flower/plant seeds entrusted to my care.  lol  Now, when people give, or send me, packets of seeds I just save the little envelopes and imagine how great it will be when I one day actually try to make the seeds grow.  (That way, the "promise" gets to live forever in the kitchen drawer.  smile  )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)