Google is not done with panda yet

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. KiaKitori profile image68
    KiaKitoriposted 12 years ago

I jus finished rading this article and thought to share it with you :
    http://www.seo-theory.com/2011/05/06/ch … algorithm/
    It say that this Panda technology is the foundation of the new internet search, and it is still upgadind and it was aimed to separate information on the web..
    And is not over!

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't like to hear they are still going to get harder on what they call "content farms". They've hit hubpages hard enough already and what about eHow. I'm sick of finding their poor articles when I do a search. Some of these appear not to know anything about the subject and didn't do any research either.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
        Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If its content farms, then why eHow is doing so well in the search engines?

KiaKitoriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PBS had a series of articles about content farms...last summer. Here is one of them 
          http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2010/07/d … ms207.html

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
            prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good read, although in journalistic style of writing it is easily spun, reworded and scraped. You just need to answer the basic qs like who what, when and where then you have a news. Bad or good news still a news.

I like opinion columns and editorials, they can't spun or scrape it, only if they like to, LOL

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71

Good one Kai!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

eHow escaped the first round - but it also got hit in the second round of Panda.

Are you sure? Can you provide a source to this information? As I still see a lot of eHow articles ranking high for a lot of keywords.

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks KiaKitori,

The Postscipt in this article from Webcentral Blog (6th May) is very informative

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … ality.html

It includes a list of Google 'quality'  crieria. [its long but worth quoting here]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Below are some questions that one could use to assess the "quality" of a page or an article. These are the kinds of questions we ask ourselves as we write algorithms that attempt to assess site quality. Think of it as our take at encoding what we think our users want.

Of course, we aren't disclosing the actual ranking signals used in our algorithms because we don't want folks to game our search results; but if you want to step into Google's mindset, the questions below provide some guidance on how we've been looking at the issue:

# Would you trust the information presented in this article?
      # Is this article written by an expert or enthusiast who knows the topic well, or is it more shallow in nature?
      # Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?
      # Would you be comfortable giving your credit card information to this site?
      # Does this article have spelling, stylistic, or factual errors?
      # Are the topics driven by genuine interests of readers of the site, or does the site generate content by attempting to guess what might rank well in search engines?
      # Does the article provide original content or information, original reporting, original research, or original analysis?
      # Does the page provide substantial value when compared to other pages in search results?
      # How much quality control is done on content?
      # Does the article describe both sides of a story?
      # Is the site a recognized authority on its topic?
      # Is the content mass-produced by or outsourced to a large number of creators, or spread across a large network of sites, so that individual pages or sites don’t get as much attention or care?
      # Was the article edited well, or does it appear sloppy or hastily produced?
      # For a health related query, would you trust information from this site?
      # Would you recognize this site as an authoritative source when mentioned by name?
      # Does this article provide a complete or comprehensive description of the topic?
      # Does this article contain insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond obvious?
      # Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend, or recommend?
      # Does this article have an excessive amount of ads that distract from or interfere with the main content?
      # Would you expect to see this article in a printed magazine, encyclopedia or book?
      # Are the articles short, unsubstantial, or otherwise lacking in helpful specifics?
      # Are the pages produced with great care and attention to detail vs. less attention to detail?
      # Would users complain when they see pages from this site?

Writing an algorithm to assess page or site quality is a much harder task, but we hope the questions above give some insight into how we try to write algorithms that distinguish higher-quality sites from lower-quality sites.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      and also..........
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      One other specific piece of guidance we've offered is that low-quality content on some parts of a website can impact the whole site’s rankings, and thus removing low quality pages, merging or improving the content of individual shallow pages into more useful pages, or moving low quality pages to a different domain could eventually help the rankings of your higher-quality content.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------

We all should print this page and stick it to our computer screens big_smile

2. bgamall profile image67
        bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?"

I think Hubpages made a mistake when they had one subject where everyone wrote a hub. I tried not to get involved in that. It seemed like overkill and the time, and apparently it is killing Hubpages. Yet they are still doing hub topics and getting a gazillion hubs published at the same time on one topic. I don't get it.

3. bgamall profile image67
        bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Does the article describe both sides of a story?"

This is ridiculous.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62

those qualitative indicators mentioned are difficult to measure, even with well designed algorithm, it needs human checking it. Imagine that even HP can't cope or catch up with moderation of so much hubs being flagged, how much more Google with gazzillion of pages in the Internet.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62

these are all qualitative/subjective measures. Some qs can be answered by yes or no, it means it is us who will evaluate the pages through user interface. This will be forever tweaking.

2. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

@KiaKitori, thanks for posting this.  Very informative.

@janderson99, thanks for the helpful quote of Google 'quality'  crieria.  Good to know.

3. Ritsos profile image40
    Ritsosposted 12 years ago

In that case, reading those, I'd say hubpages is dead as a money earner though still has value as a community of writers.

There are one or two things in there especially worrying .. for eg .. would you give your credit card info to a site.

Well .. I'd give mine to a major company but not to joe bloggs blog however good his articles .... It looks very much to me that they really have gone the corporate route.

Time to Bing I think

I think they are in for a very long run unless something else happens in the mean time. The article states that it will be hard to recover after a panda hit.

2. janderson99 profile image54

See  http://hubpages.com/hub/Possible-Busine … r-Hubpages

Perhaps the way to go is to have Hubpages as a community of writers with internal articles as the default, and to set rules and editorial scrutiny for those who want their articles out there in the www

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's an interesting idea.  And all those spammers have their own section where they are forced to read each others hubs.

lol, i like it!

4. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

My earnings were just picking up, they doubled over the weekend..I wouldn't say Hubpages is done and I think everyone is being a bit hasty

Richie, I'm very glad for you. I don't think HP is done either. But i can't stop reading articles about this Panda thing. I'm very curious to see where it goes.
      martinez's article that I first linked is the first one I read that says the Panda is the fundation of a new techology or something similar.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

I hope its true. Thanks for the link though.

The site you quoted is not an authority...

Here are a couple of comments from the article:

"eShite still ranks on millions of long tail queries, often with multiple listings."

"No, they’re not tracking traffic but the whole world is watching for some sign of eHow’s impending doom.

I don’t see it. In fact, I suspect now may be a good time to buy some eHow stock."

1. janderson99 profile image54

I read various articles - they have gone down 40% in the last few weeks according to some reports.

Demand media admit to a 20% decline

http://www.googlelivesearch.com/web-new … -to-panda/

6. Cheeky Girl profile image67
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

There is a giant leap in the pecking order between "Authority sites" and "Communities". Authority sites like Encyclopedias and Wikis are revered for total fact and no third rate spammy spun gossip styled information. Now compare that with most communities, even like Facebook, or take Hub Pages. Primarily they are both communities. They are not schools of quite the same "wisdom". So there will be a "perceived" lesser value on the information provided. That is just how it is...so Panda hits Article sites more, sorry to say.

Unless 100% of all participants of Hub Pages are University educated experts in their chosen field, and write accordingly, we are a "Community", although we are a very popular one and with plenty of readers and views. There is no avoiding that. But we can all only do our best. Unless somebody has a grand idea to "upskill" Hubbers everywhere, it is up to us to write entertaining, informative and topical content. Otherwise, what would it take to raise our game?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)