Spiking the Football?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (31 posts)
  1. AnnCee profile image67
    AnnCeeposted 12 years ago

What does that mean anyway?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The celebration in the end zone after a touch down when the player slams the ball into the ground.

The current application of the term is meaningless when one uses the occasion of Bin Laden's assassination for a giant celebration in New York City.  There may have been no "Mission Accomplished" banner but there was also no large, well equipped army to over come in order to shoot an unarmed man in the head.

Seal Team Six was used by Barry as a hit squad.  I only thought Reagan was allowed to do things like that.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

From where did you get your info  . . Spiking the ball is NOT A celebration in the endzone?

Spiking the football is when the quarterback intentionally throws the ball to the ground after the snap. It  The time clock stops and it is considered an incomplete pass therefore the sacrifice of a 'down'

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A different kind of "spike," but not the one referenced in this case.  smile

2. AnnCee profile image67
          AnnCeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought, but within the context of Obama's statement it seems like he was referring to the player after a score slamming the ball into the field?

http://archive.profootballtalk.com/SBXX.jpg

Thanks for the pic of "The Fridge."

2. Mindtrapz profile image60
    Mindtrapzposted 12 years ago

I believe that it means thatfor instance in the Osama Bin Laden killing, that if we were to show the pictures of him dead, America would be "spiking the football" I take it as rubbing it in the face of the terrorists.

I think rubbing things in the face of the terrorists would be awesome!  They are already angry with us why not push them even harder.  Nothing better than a frothing, rabid, shrieking enemy rendered impotent by rage, weakness and distance.

So showing the photo would be gloating?   

I've just never heard this kind of idea expressed in international relations.

Must be part of the Obama doctrine.   No rubbing it in.

But is showing proof of death rubbing it in?

Many are saying that Obama is more than willing for the American people to see the flag draped coffins of the soldiers killed in war.  Based on things I've seen during the Bush administration coming from the left in terms of attitudes toward soldiers and soldier's deaths, one could be tempted to think Obama is willing to "spike the ball" at conservatives on a regular basis.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it was an attempt to express that it was an event that should be treated solemnly--not some kind of game where you show off the trophy at the end.

Well, I actually agree with that. 

The mainstream media seems to be treating it as an occasion to change the game for Obama though.

1. lady_love158 profile image59
              lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Anne! Make no mistake, the decision to kill Bin Laden ( if he is indeed dead) hinged on a calculus of possible out comes and how each would effect the reelection of Obama. Everything he does is first run through that same equation. Why else would he lead from the rear and submit budgets that ignore our debt problems and lead us to destruction?

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61

I couldn't disagree more.  It becomes a psychological tool.  How is a giant celebration in New York City part of this solemn event.  The only reason Bin Laden's body was treated with any dignity is the innate honor of American warriors.  If the tables had been turned and those Navy Seals had been killed Bin Laden would have thier mutilated and broken corpses on display.

If one wishes to fight savages a little savagery is useful.

1. Gail Anthony profile image60
              Gail Anthonyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll second that motion.

2. AnnCee profile image67

In the Middle East it is common for bodies of fallen martyrs to be moshed through the streets for all to see.  They take the little children out to see the dead martyrs.   I doubt the sight of bin Laden's brain matter would shock anyone in that culture.

I'm just not convinced it would have actually been a psychological weapon.  They wouldn't be horrified the way we were horrified by Daniel Pearl's death.  Seems like the things that terrify us are things they routinely teach their toddlers.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
                dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

they do not value life, like we do in the U.S. Ann.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61

Perhaps if Obama acted as if he flew a fighter jet onto an aircraft carrier and strutted around in a flight suit in front of a huge "Mission Accomplished" banner it would be too much?  lol

http://en.clipart-fr.com/data/gif/Animals-1/animated_gif_animals_0167.gif  Yourself, Randy.

I've got a nice apple for you, Ann!  It'll make you smart!  lol

Actually it was a Viking - not a fighter in any sense of the word.  A flight suit is prudent attire in a military aircraft.  He was a qualified jet pilot.  My understanding is the banner was the USS Abraham Lincoln's crews idea after all Saddam's military had been defeated and the Lincoln was on its way home.  Its mission having been accomplished.

The rest is just goofiness - Bush, swaggers just like a cowboy.  He smirks just like a monkey.  Worse than useless.  Besides isn't Barry guilty of a little cowboy play with this latest action.

There was no reason for Bush to be in any military aircraft to reach the carrier.  From a different angle, one could see a city skyline in the background.  And whether he was qualified to fly or not is still up in the air.  Remember the missing military records? 

Which act, or acts by Obama, are you referring to which equates to the Bush charade?

You mean his long form military records?  Is there a reason why the current President flies everywhere for date night?  He was the President.  For you Democrats that seems to be enough excuse to do anything so why not land on an The Lincoln if he chooses, how is that worse than throwing big parties with Earth, Wind and Fire as your entertainment when the economy is tanking. Wow, what a waste it is to expect any tiny bit of consistency from Democrats and liberals.

If it is okay for Barry to play golf all the time why wasn't it okay for W?  If it is okay for Barry to jet to do Oprah while telling us to conserve fuel why wasn't it okay for W to land on a carrier? Have you see Barry in the army wind breaker.  It would be nice if Democrats and liberals weren't so petty and inconsistent.

As to Barry and  charades, his entire presidency is a shadow puppet play.  Strip Barry of the teleprompter and the speech writers and he stumbles around like W did with a teleprompter and speech writers,  When W spoke off the cuff he showed more poise and self awareness, because the words were his. then Barry does when he has to speak off the cuff. Barry cannot speak his own words unless the situation is carefully crafted, like Oprah - so friendly and sweet and - in Barry's case - invested. If a man does not know his own mind and can speak it plainly by the time he is 40 why would you vote for him?

Listen carefully to the stammering and hemming and hawing when Barry has to go extemporaneous - but he is a "genius."   Have we seen the long form IQ test yet?

3. lovemychris profile image76
                lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah--Or he could have taken a bull-horn and bragged about it like a cheer-leader.

Or he could have been a Republican, in which case he would have been canonized by now.

How wonderful it must be to be so full of hate and rage that one disconnects from all reality.  Standing on the still burning wreckage of the WTC and addressing the firefighters who all lost friends that day and telling them that whoever attacked us was going to pay is bragging and cheer leading.  If it is then give me more cheerleading and bragging.

There is a reason why you have never heard the term in reference to international relations.  It is the utterance of a man barely qualified for the any position, outside a classroom, running the greatest political, cultural, economic(for now)and military(again, for now) power the world has ever seen.

3. Mindtrapz profile image60
    Mindtrapzposted 12 years ago

Well I see that there are alot of good comments in here. I see that some of you say that it is a part of the obama doctrine that we say that we killed Osama, but we dont show it. Well I can understand that. What's wrong with Obama? Not wanting to show Osama bin laden head caved in by a assualt rifle? I mean really,, thats exactly what we need to have all over the internet and all over the local news for weeks on end. Have you ever seen somebodys head blown to smitherines? what does it prove? i think obama is smart for not showing them. even if he did, its not like there wouldnt be the same amount of skeptics. Just like is birth certificate, even after he showed it, people came up with something else to try to doubt. all that needs to be said is that he's dead, Al-Qaeda has already comfirmed it, and that's that.

I have innumerable problems with Obama's policies and his political rhetoric but you have given the best reason to not even bother with the photos- Al Qaeda has accepted that Bin Laden is dead.  Giving the kill order for Bin Laden is not a problem I have with Obama.

2. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He's of the wrong political persuasion...

Expect everything he does to be degraded and laughed at....even if they agree with it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)