RSS Feeds and Tags can get your Hub unpublished without warning!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

There has been a discussion thread about this, but I just wanted to alert other Hubbers to it.

You will receive a warning email about some rule violations - but for some, your Hub will show a warning on the Hub itself, but you'll get no email. So you need to fix these issues up now, don't wait till it's too late!

Here are the two I've come across:

Tags - if you've used "personal" tags such as codes or nonsense words, you must delete them.  I know several people who use such tags to create RSS feeds, and in fact many experienced Hubbers (including me) have recommended their use in the past. They're allowed for official projects like HubMob - but individuals are NO LONGER allowed to use them and your Hubs will be unpublished. 

If you're one of those people who accepts all the "suggested tags", please go and cull your tag list right now. The Suggested Tags tool is automated, and just picks up frequently used words - so it always includes a bunch of words that are far too general to have any value.  Those will be classed as unrelated or deceptive and can also cause unpublishing.

RSS Feeds - RSS feeds to unrelated Hubs or websites are not allowed.  That means, no "latest Hubs" feeds.  Yes, I know your latest Hubs are related by the fact that you're the author - but that's not what "related" means on HP.  They must be on the same subject.

I'd also advise you to make them closely related.  I had RSS feeds to my bellydance DVD site which triggered the warning on a Tribal bellydance Hub.  I changed the feed to my Tribal site's feed and that was fine.

1. lisabeaman profile image69
      lisabeamanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa - I've been out of the loop for a while... what about the tags and rss feeds that we did for the 60 Day Challenge? Do I need to go and delete them? I haven't gotten any warnings (except that some of my links are broken on my original 60dc hub).

Thanks!
      Lisa

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lisa, read this from Jason Menayan (HP staff) below Marisa Wright response on p.2 of that thread.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74304?p … ost1616102

1. SunSeven profile image62
          SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It means you can put a 60dc tag /or hubmo b/ or hubtrail on all of your hubs. Is that right?

If .......

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got some personal tags on hubs, yet there is no warnings on the hub themselves. Does that mean they are OK?

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
              Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so.

2. Susana S profile image93
              Susana Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have the exact same question, so hopefully we will get a response soon.

3. Michael Willis profile image66
              Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IzzyM...can you give n example of your personal tag here?  Hp is tightening their existing rules they say, so it is best to make sure your tag is allowed. Just because it was "allowed" in the past, does not mean it is allowed now.

I make my own tags instead of using the suggested tags, since they can be irrelevant to the content of the hubs at times.

1. IzzyM profile image86

well, I've got my shark hub linked together with the tag 'izshark'. Obviously there is no such word, but all the hubs in the feed relate to sharks.

I haven't checked all the hubs in this feed. Just one actually and it doesn't have a warning.

1. Michael Willis profile image66
                  Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK, that is the type of Tag that Jason was saying not to use according to the HP rules in the post Marisa mentioned.

What I do to link hubs together and you might think about is; create a "group" and name it Sharks. Make sure it fits within the category topic as well as the content a match.

Example of one I use for RSS feed is : NFL Football or NFL Playoffs 2011. Jason said these looked fine since they were closely related to the particular hubs.

1. IzzyM profile image86

These feeds are for offsite promotion. The promotion has been done. I am going to lose a loss of backlinks gained over time if I take the feeds out.

It will also mean manually editing nearly 500 hubs - again. I am getting pissed off too now.

These tags were carefully chosen. They have the main keyword in them plus two poxy little extra letters. If google reads tags, it will see the keyword only.

Someone needs to explain to me WHY they need to go, otherwise I am not moving them and may in fact just move my hubs instead.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
                  Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"izshark" would be "illegal".  It's a perfect example of what I'm trying to say.  The FAQ clearly says "nonsense words" are not allowed, and it's a nonsense word.

I suggested they say "only words in the dictionary are allowed", to make it clearer.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Was that in the FAQ when I put them there? If not, they have moved the goalposts. I will keep an eye out for warnings getting put on the hubs. I have not added anymore 'nonsense' tags since the new rulings came in ( and yes I have published several new hubs), but that's a bit unfair to make it backwards compatible.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85

No, it just means they haven't got to them yet.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
            prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure for hubtrail,  hubmob and 60dc, 30dc seem ok

What if Sunseven??

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Good post. Thank you. smile

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I'm fine with the RSS feeds - because I used personal subject related tags. Oh wait .....

What, Wry?

Just in case you're being serious:

If you use your author name and a subject-related tag to create your RSS feed, you've got no problem.

However, if you created a personal subject-related tag (like, "WryLiltbaby" for baby Hubs), that is what's not allowed.

Is it official yet? I couldn't find any reference to this on the whole site.

SunSeven, yes it is official.

I asked the question about both these issues in another thread.  Jason told me these rules have always existed, they're just applying them more strictly now.

I suggested that the HubPages team should make an official announcement to let people know.  He doesn't think it's necessary - apparently we "should" have known.

I think he's wrong, because many of us have been doing these things for years and never, ever been reprimanded for it.  Therefore I think it would be courteous of HubPages to announce the change formally.

That's why I started this thread, because I don't think people do know.  And what's worse is that your Hubs can get unpublished for this, you won't just get a warning email.

I am not very intuitive, I am afraid. If it is not black and white, then it should be in grey or color.

May be I am color blind, or may be I am just blind.

I searched for the official link to the page which says what is allowed and what is not. I could not find it. Marisa, are you trying to fool new hubbers? Or am I hallucinating?

May be I am blind, after all. smile

Warm Regards

It has not been announced,but following my questions, they have updated the FAQ:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#deceptive

http://hubpages.com/faq/#unrelated

Thats very LOL or whatever expression is current, very convenient.

Congratulations on your new role, HP is a million dollar business, and being a spokesperson for them is a coveted job. I envy you. smile

PS: Please dont reply to my post above till you read my PM.

WR

LOL, got your PM.  I'm not aiming to become a spokesperson, but I know a few people have been caught out by this "tightening" of the rules and I feel someone should try to avoid inconvenience to other Hubbers, even if the HP team don't seem to care.

2. Robin profile image86
          Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We refer to both of these topic, RSS Feeds and Tags, in our static Forum post regarding all HubPages updates:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74274

This is always a great place to look first for any HubPages related changes.  If there is something that we haven't addressed in this post, feel free to start a Forum thread and we can update it.

Have a great day,
          Robin  big_smile

1. WoodsmensPost profile image63
            WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for pointing this thread out to me Robin. I hate when hubbers start to cry wolf with information, sending everyone into panic mod. mYself I don't scare easily to start radically changing hubs because one or more hubbers claim of mistreatment. I have received warnings made the mods and everything is fine. Thanks again and others should do their own due diligence on this subject matter before a wave of panic starts again within their own hubs. smile WP

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well, its still clear as mud to me.

"However if the tag is very obscure, and if our moderators don't recognize it, it might be moderated for being unrelated. "

Hmmm...

izshark isn't a dictionary word, but the word 'shark' is still there and very much relates to the hub(s) in question, so it looks like it depends on the moderator if they think it is obscure or not.

4. Hendrika profile image68
    Hendrikaposted 12 years ago

I can agree with the tags one. I have had quite a few of my Hubs that I had to weed out tags.

You are insulting the great programmers who has invented the suggest tags feature here at HP. smile

5. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I never saw any use for RSS feeds. Links, I just do manually.

I realize this is an insane investment of time and energy (it takes minutes) but I am just plain old fashioned.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Furthermore, just checked out that feed http://hubpages.com/tag/izshark/hot and some of those in that feed also have the tag 'izsea' relating to oceanic things, which leads to yet another feed http://hubpages.com/tag/izsea/hot again none of them have a warning that I can see.

Edit: I am going to be annoyed if I have to remove all of them, because obviously those feeds were created for promotion outwith Hubpages. Just about all of my hubs are interlinked in some manner.

7. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I used the RSS feed to allow search engines to see that my pages aren't static but since we are not allowed this I will be updated all my RSS feeds to news feeds now..are news capsules still ok?

1. Mutiny92 profile image64

news capsules are going away I believe.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, just noticed they aren't in the options anymore :S

What are using to keep your hubs regenerating Mutiny? I can see that it would be hard work to find related links for each of my 262 hubs

You can still use RSS Richie have a look at the thread Robin put in her post it clears up everything that was attempted in this thread with speculations

1. Richieb799 profile image74
            Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

But you can't use a latest hubs RSS? I haven't got another RSS feed hmm
            Just read the thread pointed out in Robins comment but it doesnt mention RSS there

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74274

3/4 of the way down the page, you can use a tag rss if you dont know what that is check the learning center. It can be used for all your related hubs with the same tag? Sorry gotta run for now smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
              Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Richie,

RSS Feeds are labeled based on "latest", "hot" and "best". Those are all you can choose from.

How "hot" and "best" are best used is by using "keywords/tag" links to related material, either by you or others, which are in the RSS feed itself.

ht tp://hubpages.com/tag/(keywords or tags)/hot?rss

You would setup related "keywords/tags" that help your content. When using "tag" type feeds and keywords that have more than one word, then use a "+" in between the keywords/tags(withoutspacing).

ht tp://hubpages.com/tag/character+trait/hot?rss

The above is a sample of one tagged RSS Feed I use. smile

Better stated here in the learning center 

How to Create a Hubber-Specific RSS Feed

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubb … c-rss-feed

2. Mutiny92 profile image64

I am the wrong person to ask.  My views and earnings continue to deteriorate.

2. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Thanks guys, Ive begun removing all of my existing feeds because that way it puts the bottom ad in a more prominent position anyhow..I probably won't bother with a fee because I notice there is now a Facebook social plugin and that probably keeps the page updating for search engines anyway

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)