What the H did HP do to the Comment Section?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. vietnamvet68 profile image60
    vietnamvet68posted 12 years ago

Have you noticed that when you go to write a hub you now have to put in the comment section. What is up with that, Do people realize it is not there anymore?  I didn't realize it at first.  I went to comment on someone's hub, and no comment section. Okay, so who reads the 'announcements?'

1. BobbiRant profile image60
      BobbiRantposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't notice either and when I've tried to comment on many others, I see they must not know because the comment capsule is missing in peoples hubs I normally comment on.

2. SunSeven profile image60
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have removed the comment section on selective hubs.

3. theherbivorehippi profile image64
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've removed the comment section on about 98 percent of my ads to make the most of that bottom ad.

1. SunSeven profile image60

Smart thinking smile

1. theherbivorehippi profile image64

smile You did it as well on some hubs, yes?

2. vietnamvet68 profile image60
        vietnamvet68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

why write if you don't want comments from people, you sure don't make any money off those ads

1. SunSeven profile image60

What do you mean? Comments make money?

Exactly...comments don't make me money.  Most comments come from other hubbers and although I miss the interaction....they are not the readers who are likely to click on an ad.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image64

I don't write to receive comments from people.....I write because I want to and for the money.  I find it interesting that when I did remove those comment sections a month ago when everyone was complaining that their income had dropped...mine increased.

1. IzzyM profile image85
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is interesting! I was wondering whether to take comments off some hubs so that the bottom ad was more prominent but haven't done anything about it yet.
            My earnings have also increased over the past month.

Yay!  Good to hear!  smile

1. IzzyM profile image85
                IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not by much al the same, and they had hit rock-bottom (well, nearly)!

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Some people say they've removed comment capsules in order to make better use of ad space at the bottom.   I've always been torn about comments, because my biggest earners were the ones with lots of comments.  Besides, some of the comments on SOME kind of Hubs I have have been very meaningful and have made real contributions to "the discussion".

Then again, I've never really liked having comments on Hubs, because, for example, when you write for a newspaper there's not a big string of comments under your article.  I know that the Internet is different and even professional sites have places for comments, but it's just always struck me as kind of unprofessional (or maybe as kind of making what's already unprofessional even less professional).  Besides, a lot of comments require thoughtful replies, and I haven't always wanted to keep being "pulled back into" old Hubs (especially some of the ones that have a serious topic).

So, when I saw that people were getting rid of their comments sections I saw it as "acceptable" (because until then I felt like it would be "anti-social or something").  It occurred to me, too, that with the big push on "quality writing", a lot of the comments didn't really do much to enhance the quality of some pages.  So, between it all, I decided to go ahead and get rid of the comments on most of my Hubs.

People had been saying they were doing better earnings-wise (HP ads-wise) by getting rid of the comments.  I haven't found that in my case, but what I don't know is whether there's been a site-wide drop that caused HP earnings to be substantially lower than when I first signed up, or whether the substantial drop in earnings is because of having removed the comments.

I don't know...   I like having no comments because I don't want to keep re-visiting Hubs.  Then again, I do like some of the sincere interaction that can go with comments.  It does feel like there's something missing not to have them.

Since Panda, though, I haven't really known what I want to do or not do as far as Hubs go, and I've kind of taken a "bare-bones" approach to those I've written in most recent weeks.  I just kind of remain in a "pondering it all" mode.   hmm  It has occurred to me to put back all the comments, leave them without requiring moderation, and let Hubs do what they're going to do, or not do, on their own.  (Pondering takes time, apparently  lol )

1. onlinemom1963 profile image61
      onlinemom1963posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Lisa, thank you for your insight. Am a newcomer here in HP and I saw some of you were discussing about the comments section. For me I still find comments real helpful in driving traffic and adds interaction to the hub. Maybe for some hubs with real serious or formal issues, a comment might be a less priority to be added.

I just want to ask about HP ads, and does it really hurt adsense ads? Which is better HP ads? or Google adsense?

Thank you!

Well the only ones making any money from HP ads is HP, because Google traffic is down and will not return to HP. you want outside traffic and it is not happening.

3. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

Comments do not make money, but I personally like to know Someone has read my writings.  For NO comments I can write on blogger.  It does not seem to matter, I've noticed, whether there's comments or none as far as making money is concerned.   Google has slapped HP, fact, and room for more ads will NOT bring in outside traffic. That's the Reality of it all.

People tend to get off track anyway, they have no clue, the subject was what happened to the comments not ads.

Really, we have no clue?  How rude of you.  I did not change the topic.  You said in YOUR original post that you went to someone's hub and went to leave a comment and there was no comment section.  I said that I removed my comment sections to make the most of that bottom ad....assuming that other hubbers have done the same and perhaps that is why you couldn't find a comment section.  Wasn't trying to get off subject or confuse you.  Bet you were popular on the playground growing up, huh?

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I went looking for any announcement about the comment capsules no longer automatically being there, but I couldn't find it (maybe I looked to quickly).  In any case, I thought the subject was "comment capsules".  I guess it depends on how broadly any one individual defines "subject".

5. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

Comments can be problematic, especially when some use them solely as a means to raise their score through participation, and not as a way to engage in the topic or ideas of the hub. I find it takes some of the fun out of reading a great article when I can't comment to the writer.

One of the sites for which I write - an kind of online news magazine format - has just added a comments to everyone's articles, because they feel it will engage the readers and keep them at the site longer.

Having said that, though, I don't think we need to add a comments capsule for commercial, or product review hubs, as those are not written to promote discussion - they are written for an entirely different traffic.

Maybe HP could make it an option to have the comments appear below the final ad?

That would be ideal!  (moving the comments under the ad)..of course, they could just give us that ad back that used to be above the comment section....wink

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your point is a really good one, and it's one that someone else (who didn't intend to) kind of made on the forums elsewhere.  Earlier today I saw a thread title that caught my eye because the subject I've written a Hub on.  When I got to the thread it turned out the person opened it because she said she'd been to my Hub, discovered there wasn't a comments section, and wanted to get a discussion going on here because it's a serious subject.

This may seem really dumb of me, but it never really occurred to me that anyone would even really notice if there aren't comment boxes.   hmm  Of course, I guess my thing is that when I read Hubs I tend to gravitate toward Hubs about stuff I don't know much about.  As a result, I usually don't have anything much to add to a lot of them (other than the old, "I enjoyed this Hub" thing).

I'm starting to seriously re-think my comment-removal move.

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

I don't think that adds at the bottom of the page make much of a difference. Once the reader is through reading they are most likely to scroll up and go somewhere else. The ads that make the most sense are adds at the beginning, either left or right of the writing and around the middle. Comments however, give you feed back which helps in gauging your writing style. I have left the comments on all of my hubs because to me feedback is important.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)