Was the NBA Lottery fixed?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Last night, one of the representatives of the Timberwolves made a comment suggesting the NBA lottery might've been fixed. What are you're thoughts?  Do you think the lottery was fixed?  Or not?

1. Matt in Jax profile image62
      Matt in Jaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got to say no because I don't think that they could risk their credability with such a thing. It's pretty meticulous based on the percentages for each team.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
        I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Except they've had this happen before and their credibility wasn't hurt. People just forget about it. Watch the draft lottery from 1985 when the Knicks won the #1 pick (who everyone knew would be Patrick Ewing). Notice the obviously bent corner of the envelope and the way Stern looked into the tumbler and picked up the envelope. This wasn't just a corner that had been dinged after being dropped. It was clearly intentionally folded over at the corner. There is even some evidence that the envelope was frozen beforehand just in case Stern couldn't see the bent corner.

2. The Suburban Poet profile image82
      The Suburban Poetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say.... maybe... David Stern is the most arrogant person I've seen in the sports world and I think he is capable of anything. For Cleveland to lose Lebron as they did and then for Cleveland to land the first pick the next year is almost too much to believe.

2. LakeShow T profile image73
    LakeShow Tposted 12 years ago

It seems like just about every year there is speculation as to whether the draft lottery if fixed. I think T-Wolves GM, David Kahn, is on to something when he speaks of how frequently the #1 pick ends up having the best storyline. I said this on the other thread that the T-Wolves have never moved up from the draft lottery in all 14 times they have been in it; many of those times, they had one of the 4 worst records in the league, and yet they have never had the #1 pick.

Here's a few other things off the top of my head

2011 - The #1 pick the Cavs won was from a trade with the Clippers. That pick had less than a 3% chance of nabbing #1. Storyline - The poor Cavs finally get some luck after the LeBron debacle.

2009 - Clippers get the #1 pick, Blake Griffin. The most coveted player in the draft since LeBron James. Storyline - Griffin resurrects the woeful large market Clippers. Haven't the Clips had the #1 pick several times?

2008 - The Chicago Bulls had the 9th worst record in the league and got the #1 pick. Storyline - Hometown product Derrick Rose. Chance of that was probably less than 5%

1997 - The Spurs get the #1 pick, Tim Duncan. Forms the Twin towers v.2.0 of Duncan and Robinson. Robinson passes the torch to Duncan.

2003 - The Cavs get the #1 pick. Storyline - Cavs get hometown product LeBron James, who was the most heralded player since Lew Alcindor.

1992-1993 - The Orlando Magic get the #1 pick two years in a row. They also got it in 2004. Those players ended up being ShaQ, C-Webb, and Dwight Howard

The way I see it is that whenever there is a standout #1 player it seems like the most convenient team gets the #1 pick. There are also so many times when teams moved from the bottom of the lottery to near the top. I guess there is really no way to know for sure though. I do know the T-Wolves luck in the lottery has been unimaginably bad and they have missed out on a number of highly regarded players over their franchise history as a result. I know ShaQ is one of those players. But then again, I know the T-Wolves have purposely tanked down the stretch of a few seasons and I do like that the lottery is in tact to prevent from such actions from being surely rewarded.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

it was fixed dan gilberts son and his friends did it!!! Those lil beedy eyed bastards! research is always good but I say it wasnt fixed

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

yes.. yes it was

they are all fixed

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)