great artists and directors are imune to criticism

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. lizzieBoo profile image61
    lizzieBooposted 12 years ago

We've just heard Lars von Trier make some outrageous claim about sympathising with Hitler. Polanski has also got away with seducing under age girls. Carravagio was a blatant peodophile, and yet all is forgiven because they are great artists. Is this ok?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hell no. If you ask me, they should all be dragged out in the middle of the street and shot if I had my way with them.  However, you can't deny how great they both are at their perspective visionary crafts.

lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well Oscar Wilde was given a pretty tough time for having a relationship with a schoolboy when he had a wife and 5 children. People still talk of Wilde as a gay martyr; a victim. Would people feel the same if Wilde had been a green grocer or a head master instead of a brilliant writer I wonder?

1. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't know, and more than likely don't care what the majority of America thinks, as this country was bought and paid for a long time ago.  Not only that, but people are always going to believe whatever the hell they want.  Or to be more specifically, they believe whoever they deem to be a reliable source of information; regardless of the facts proving otherwise.

2. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The 'boy' was a 22 year old man I seem to remember, and the persecution of Wilde arose partly from the pressure of the young man's father in a society where being gay was a prison offence.

For the trial the boy may have been 22, but the affair started when he was still at school, 16 or 17 yr old.

....But you're right, it was the gay part that was the offense.

2. profile image57
      tajiatalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. But that never stops politicians either.

2. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

To me, they ae just people, subject to the same laws as anyone else. But then we have hollywood where noone appears to get punished for anyhing. I guess there will always be the Do As I Wanters.

It's nuts really, but I suppose we cannot bring ourselves to suppress genius. Or something like that.

3. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

But doesn't that apply to more than just genius - say popular or icon of any type?
    Movie stars
    Kennedy's

Well yes. Think what Henry VIII got away with and the Anglican church is founded on him! A religion founded on Bluebeard!

4. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Those examples given remind me of lots of people I know in real life. LOL! WHat is to say lots of people don't get similar fancy notions? Idi Amin managed to terrorise a whole nation and he was nuts, apparently. It's when they become powerful that people become afraid of them. "Ambition bites the nails of success" perhaps?

Put someone of equal "screw-looseness" in charge of running a Bank, and watch what happens? "Lehman's part 2" Maybe?

Generally, societies back nutters if society does well from their leadership. Okay, I am done...

5. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

It's funny how people assume sanity on those with wealth and power. smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

what Earnest said!

true, true, true

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Okay. I guess we can chalk it up to human nature and it's quirks. lol

7. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Aside from the abuse of wealth and power - artists are to some extent exempt as they are working on the fringes of knowledge and society - also looking at historical figures is fraught with misunderstanding as we forget that the views of today's society were not the views of theirs.  Shelley, one of the most admired poets ever, married a 16 year old girl , quite normal at the time and not so long after girls were considered eligible for marriage at 14.  In a time when it was normal to die young (Keats died at 25) it would be a reasonable practice in many ways - that is not so reasonable now.

The balance between artistic licence and pure licence is not so easy to see and different people see it differently at different times.  Polanski might be considered to have stepped over to pure licence, but then what about the American Professor who advocated free love and drugs and slept with many of his students, occasionally many at the same time ?

1. JGoul profile image61
      JGoulposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I don't think it's ok.  The law binds society together by forcing everyone to abide certain standards of conduct.  The freedom of action of the rich should be circumscribed by the law to the same extent the law limits the freedom of action of the poor. 

That said, I think this would be the counter-argument:  If Polanski had been on the verge of curing cancer, we might be willing to overlook his conduct.  It just doesn't make sense to let millions die in order to punish their would-be savior.  Polanski, as a genius-artist, makes contributions of substantial, if perhaps not quite so significant or tangible, and so it is wise for us to make some concessions to enable him to continue his work.  Humanity is richer because he is free to pursue his art rather than rot in a cell. 

Like I said, that's the argument, I don't agree with it.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

As I said - this is exactly on the dividing line between poetic licence and licencious behaviour.  I would agree that Polanski was on the wrong side of that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)