Linkedin Stocks Up $64

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

That is huge news for sites and sites like this.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

Oh no, it's 1998 all over again!

3. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Mikey, what symbol is Linkedin trading on?

Just curious.. smile

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
      Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I was just flipping through the channels.

4. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Mikey, it's up presently by $57-$58 and that's because it's a brand new IPO effective today. That's the reason for the spike.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43095800

The above link is a news story about it.

Edit: The symbol is LNKD

5. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 12 years ago

Ray, What prompted the IPO?

Edit: seems quite a huge open, a remarkable one at that.
    But, as usual, it looks like the big boys got the best chunk, from a $45 in to an $85 cap. Not a bad chunk of change.

1. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The same thing that prompts all IPOs, revenue generation. wink

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Not what I meant.
        I am wondering what LinkedIn needs the funds for. Their technology is pretty straight forward and honestly not all that advanced -a professional resume slash lead list slash exploratory network slash social network interface. It's a good company, no doubt, but a $300MM IPO. What are they doing, building a space shuttle? jeje.

James.

PS, Mike, I Hub Pages gets Venture Cap backing for an IPO, I would definitely mortgage my house to buy a block!

James, I haven't researched the company itself. I have no idea of their plans for the future. Usually, IPOs are done for only one reason- capital?

If people(Wall Street) didn't think there was solid ground for the IPO, trust me, it wouldn't move. I've seen other IPOs come looking for capital injections, and actually lose money on the first day it was public.

6. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

This stock will come crashing down in the next several weeks. Not to say it is bad stock, but the action today is ludicrous.

Actually, I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I've seen IPO and benefited from them too, jump huge and hold their ground. wink

1. Peter Owen profile image61
        Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So have I, but LinkIn just doen't have the value to justify the price. What is going on is 1998 dot.com mania.

hmm

1. Peter Owen profile image61
            Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't fret - my stock picking prowess ain't that great.

No worry.

7. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 12 years ago

Well, my money is on companies like Hulu. They have a solid company, excellent management team, support of the likes of GE & Disney, etc, not to mention a great product and potential for advancement in technology. Companies like Twitter and LinkedIn just don't seem impressive enough to warrant investment. On the interim, sure a short sale. Long term, not so much.

James.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hulu is a joint venture by several of the top media companies, and it would have never been possible for a private company to start something like that and be successful, because getting the rights to that content would have been way too expensive.

For sites like LinkedIn the question becomes "how much is information worth?" I would say a LinkedIn profile is worth more on average than a Facebook profile, because that person is generally more valuable to people who might want information about them (potential employers, clients, etc), while a Facebook profile might be for my cat's favorite play toy. That said, I get worried when Wall Street types start trying to put a value on something that isn't a straightforward asset or debit. This is what happened in the late-1990's, when people were throwing around numbers estimating how much 1 million hits on a website is worth, and in the end most of those dot coms went bankrupt because a hit isn't worth a thing if it can't be turned into money. In fact, those hits were often negative value because they ate up bandwidth.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.
        I think the reality is: an actual technology has value, like a specific programming code, even a CMS, like SquareSpace. Agreed, a visitor to a website can't really valuate the site --unless of course it is ad driven or compiling a database of users and that information used for alternate marketing strategies, as most sites do not actually provide a premium service, based on a technology or product. Correction, SquareSpace, et al, do charge for a service. Sites like Facebook, LinkedIn --even HubPages-- definitely have value, in a secondary marketplace. They are ultimately at the mercy of a primary market: adverts.

My good buddy Daniel, is a marketing rep for a disgustingly beautiful VC firm in Texas. He has seen well over 50,000 dot com concepts come across his desk (email) in less than five years. Only a handful had genuine market value, above and beyond hits and clicks. If this is any indication of where the next gen market is going, well...

James.

8. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

I signed up there, but it was very cluttered, but not bad.

There are much better sites that could be made, however that one is not bad at all.

This just shows that we need to get a team together and make a website that is worth a damn!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)