Amazon Sucks! Any Ideas? Help!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Anybody got any idea how to get past this stupid problem? I have earned a bit of money on Amazon, and looked forward to getting myself a few things, and now I have discovered that everytime that I go to buy something, they won't ship in to England! Duh! have I been conned or what? I deliberately used a gift card instead of the other options and now seem to be stuck! Any ideas on how to get around it? thanks

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you asked if you can use your gift card on Amazon UK? Probably not, but you may be surprised.

If not can you ask them to give you a cheque instead - my dollar cheques cost about £10 to clear, so I set my Amazon payment threshold quite high to compensate

Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hiya, I haven't tried asking them to change it, I will give it a go, but I doubt it will work, I should have asked for a cheque in the first place. typical me, jump in head first! thanks for answering

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nell go to Amazon account and change your preferred method of payment. In the Uk both Santander and Yorkshire bank ( which I use) accept the cheques.
      I am not sure of the procedure with Amazon gift cards, do you need to sign for them?? If you don't you could ask one of your American friend hubbers to accept it and let them send you a cheque( just a thought)
      Make sure your not going to jeopardize your account by doing so beforehand.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know it doesn't help you but I get a gift card for my earnings and use it to buy ebooks on Amazon.

4. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nell,

I think try amazon UK. I have a family there and they seemed to be getting it shipped. I have to find out, which payment method they are using though. I hope it works for you too.

2. QuackQuackWriter profile image61
    QuackQuackWriterposted 12 years ago

I think that Amazon is only for US citizens.But still ,check for more info,or message them

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it isn't.

1. QuackQuackWriter profile image61
        QuackQuackWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am from india,will i also get money.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a Time to Turn Up here! hmm roll

The Duck Shooting Season Started on May 1st and lasts for another 3 weeks!  big_smile

Could you move just a little bit to the left? hmm

1. QuackQuackWriter profile image61
        QuackQuackWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry,I am stuck on that window,but i am still laughing

3. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Thanks guys, I will have to check it out some more! not happy though! lol

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

This is a classic example of why HP writers should be given the option of adding Amazon.co.uk or any other Amazon for that matter to the capsules. There is software that will localize the Amazon ads to the area the reader is (not necessarily the writer) so that we all have a level playing field. That way, we at least have the possibility of getting paid in tokens in our local Amazon.

1. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In hubpages defence, localizing Amazon effectively is a nightmare, simply because different products on different country sites have completely different product codes.

If you display products based on keywords it is easy enough, but when you try to do it based on specific products it all falls apart!

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, in that case, if its not a workable solution, they should at least allow us to use Amazon.co.uk links in hubs selling Amazon.com itemized products. I know they do, but NOT IN OVER-SATURATED topics.
        Which effectively cuts out a lot of the potential sales - in my case anyway as I get a lot of UK readers. I've tried writing English the American way but I guess I fail miserably when the UK search engines pick my stuff up.
        Or can they not write the software that allows us to add extra AmazonUK capsules to hubs?

Hiya, well this is an update hours after starting to look for something I wanted! I eventually managed to order a lovely gold ring and a model car for my friends little boy. It seems that if you try and order something that is not actually coming straight from the Amazon shop itself, it is much more difficult to get it shipped over, or at least that's the way it seems to me, for example, if you wanted a bracelet, and the shop was jewelry by fredrica!! (like that?) then it is working under the amazon name, whereas if I got something straight from Amazon itself it is easier. I tried loads and loads of different rings before I got the one I liked, each time it just said, 'not sent to this address' and underneath stated that it was only in the States. But Amazon itself will send! Phew! worn out now! I have certainly earned my Amazon gift cards today!

2. CMHypno profile image83

Hey Izzy, I put links to my UK Amazon astores in my hubs and that way you can add as many products as you like (I think that you are allowed around 520 products per category)

1. IzzyM profile image86

That's a great idea - I forgot about A stores and haven;t used them yet.
            Still wouldn't be allowed them in a hub containing an 'over-saturated' topic though.

2. WriteAngled profile image73
            WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never realised that was possible. I thought A-stores were only for featuring on a custom-made web site for them.

Silly question maybe: when you mention A-stores in plural, do you mean the different categories in one A-store? Or is it possible to create more than one A-store per affiliate? If only one store is available, is it possible to link directly to a specific category within it?

Hi WA, you can create multiple astores. There is a limit to how many, but it is quite a big number.  I tend to build one for each of my major niches and then build categories of products within the astore.

So if you wrote a lot about photography for example, you could create an astore on photography and create various categories with in it for cameras, accessories, books etc.

There does appear to be a different url for each category, but I have to say that so far I have only used the main url, so do not know what that link would look like

Just remember astore links count as links in hubs, so no more than 2 in each hub

You can also build astores in US Amazon and add the link to your hub in the same way

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I'm in Australia and I've purchased books through Amazon before - if you have any new or old faves you could just buy more books!

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Glad you got it sorted:)

Thanks Izzy! got there in the end! lol

7. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi smile

I am in the UK, too.

I thought that I had opted for cheques, but had made an error and was sent e-gift vouchers ~ this was on top of a larger amount I had received from another site.

I asked if I could use my money on Amazon.co.uk, or have it transferred to my PayPal account, but no!

I decided to download some music ~ but, no ~ I couldn't do that, either.

I then chose some books from third parties ~ but they only posted within the USA.

I have managed to buy some books from third parties, though, and some from Amazon.

I had had other plans for my earnings! Anyway, I changed my settings, so, hopefully, I shall have a bit more control over them in future smile

Good luck! smile

Hi, Trish thanks I think I will change it too! mind you the way that our payments are going, I may just hit the 100 dollar mark when I get old!

1. IzzyM profile image86

I set my Amazon payout to $1000. Only received one payment so far smile I would rather wait for it than give the banks up to 15% each time I present a dollar cheque.
        Check with your local bank what they take in commission. The Santander here in Spain takes €15 or .06%, whichever is the highest. You will maybe find a cheaper deal in the UK.

Thanks Izzy, I think that maybe I had better start writing a few more hubs to reach that mark! lol but thats a great idea, I will definitely go and check, thanks

2. WriteAngled profile image73
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, I do not have the problem of needing to cash dollar cheques yet!

However, I am aware that it is possible to set up dollar accounts with Citibank outside of the US, where dollar cheques can be paid in without a fee

There are also these people, set up originally to provide a resource for UK-based eBay sellers receiving payments in dollars:
          http://auctionchex.com/

1. IzzyM profile image86

I can open a dollar account with the Santander, but it costs a couple of euros to run every month; its not free. If and when I start getting a reasonable income from Amazon it may well be worth looking at.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Australia so I made the same mistake as Nell at first.  I was able to order a DVD with my first gift certificate, but the postage cost more than the DVD, so it felt like a waste of money! 

I now have my threshold set at $200.  The bank charges me $10 to bank a foreign cheque.  I considered setting it higher, but then I saw Mark complaining about Amazon cheques not arriving, and what a nightmare it was to get it cancelled and reissued.  The idea of waiting months for a $1,000 cheque and then have it go missing was too scary, so $200 seems like a reasonable compromise. 

I can't believe Amazon is still so old-fashioned. ALL the other affiliates I've joined pay by Paypal or direct deposit.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well, I've only had the one cheque so far, and I was almost in a sweat worrying about it going missing in the post - our post here in the sticks is not that reliable anyway - but it arrived safe and sound and on time.

Yes, Paypal would be much better smile

2. lou16 profile image73
            lou16posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa - don't forget that you can claim your $10 fee back from your tax.   My bank can't believe that they see me cashing cheques each month for an online entity - it really is ridiculous.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That assumes you pay tax smile

Seriously, I live in Australia where I'm able to classify my online earnings as a hobby, so they're not taxable.  However that also means I can't claim any tax deductions on the related expenses!

4. Trish_M profile image81
          Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It will be a long time before I reach that amount!
          Wow! Well done smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

Thanks Trish - it took a long time, but the next one might have been here by now if Panda hadn't happened and wiped the traffic. Still, nothing for it but to plod along smile

8. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

What are 'A Stores', please??!!

Just checked you can have 100 astores per associate.

In your Amazon Associates account you can build astores of products - so you decide on what type of products you want to sell, set up the astore and then you can add categories and in each category you
      can add up to 540 products. Then just add the link to relevant hubs.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/ … s/tips/t12

1. Trish_M profile image81
        Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile
        I shall have to look into that. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)