Our dog had pups

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Our dog had pups through the night. Sadly two were stillborn, and a third struggled to breathe, and later died. Here is the 4th this morning.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5073878_f248.jpg

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5073879_f248.jpg

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Awww

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I hope the little one makes it! smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No doubt it is going to make it, it wouldn't even lie still for a photo!!
      It gasped at birth too, but seem to have got over that. Oh and he thinks its a girl puppy.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good news! Thanks. smile

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

We're thinking they were maybe a bit premature but not sure when she got 'caught'. I have to say I was annoyed when it became obvious she was pregnant because when she was on heat I kept her shut in a room with me and my laptop and the only times she got out was when he took her out (he said he watched her, he obviously didn't). She has had two litters before with no problems so I am really sad for her this time. The other three were black in color, this is the only white one.
    Tanya is tiny too, not much bigger than an average size cat so the babies are miniature!

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Izzy, I can see a hub or two coming titled the "Trials and Tribulations of puppy dog training"
      Have the kw 's on me.smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

Oh I haven't a clue with puppies, all of them got re-homed as soon as they could eat solid food for themselves - well all bar one, and he's a cutie, but to be honest 3 dogs in one household is quite enough, thank you smile

It's CATS I need, there is a family of rats living on my compost heap.

1. profile image0
          BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No Izzy, you need a jack russell dog for them.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Think there might be a bit of Jack Russell in the new mutt? Never know, it's a Heinz dog!

1. lyndre profile image60
              lyndreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how many will now ask you what a heinz dog is ? lol

1. IzzyM profile image86

I doubt there will be many Lyndre, after all, Heinz is a US company!

2. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently (and I haven't had this problem so I have no idea whether the solution would work or not lol), human male urine is the thing for rat-infested compost heaps - it's a pheromonal/hormonal way to tell the rats to sling their collective hook.

1. IzzyM profile image86

oh we just put poison down and kept the dogs in.

6. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

It’s good that one puppy survived. Good luck with the puppy rearing!

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Any pup experts here? I think the mother has been ignoring the pup - she kept leaving it today. Now it is dying I think. It seems to be in a coma although it is is still breathing. Anything I can do?

1. profile image0

I don't know - sorry sad

1. IzzyM profile image86

i have the pup here in the palm of my hand - am trying to warm it up, it is very cold but still breathing - occasionally. typing with one hand. no caps.

1. profile image0

Lil bit of warmed up cow's milk on the end of your little finger?

1. IzzyM profile image86

it's unconscious. actually i think it is dead.

1. profile image0

sad

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5078464_f248.jpg

It was still alive here, but very small as you can see - my hands are small.

9. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Awww dam! Poor thing. I hope the mama dog is okay with none of her pups left. You're a good pet parent.

1. IzzyM profile image86

She's fine - I'm the one left with emotional issues!

I'm having this argument with my partner just now - he thinks the pup died because Tanya was a bad mother - even though she has been a perfect mum to her previous litters.

I think the pup died because there was something wrong, and that the mother sensed this which would explain why she hasn't been running round in circles looking for the pups that died.

In fact, she has been perfectly normal even though she is producing milk for pups that are no longer here.

Does anyone know? I'm not that experienced with pups to be honest.

10. sid_candid profile image59
    sid_candidposted 12 years ago

Hi Izzy,
    The puppy is cute and so adorable. Its sad to know that it would be alone to grow up as all its siblings are dead, but with an experienced mother around she should be just fine. smile

11. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Yeah, sometimes they know. Hmm. Well good that you aren't left with a litter of ill puppies to care for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)