Should the voting age be raised to 26?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (70 posts)
  1. Mister Veritis profile image61
    Mister Veritisposted 12 years ago

Minutes ago I read an article that said the portion of the brain responsible for understanding the future consequences of present actions is not fully formed until age 25. Given that should we immediately raise the voting age to 26?

I have two daughters. Both voted for candidate Obama. One thought it would be "cool" to have a black president. The other could not be bothered with politics so she voted for the "young guy".

They are both idiots. They are both young. They have a part of their brains not yet fully formed. They will both pay a price for their votes, as will all young people who so willingly vote into office the instrument of their destruction and enslavement.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

if understanding consequences takes until age 25, forget Voting, raise the Drinking age..!

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup.
      And bar liberals from voting at all, no matter what their age lol
      Then we might have a chance to get back on track.

Seriously, I do think your suggestion might be a good idea.....

1. Richieb799 profile image76
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Having a choice of who to vote for is called Democracy, who said we were ever 'on-track'
        As for the legal age and the brain part, I'm sure there are some peoples brain who never fully develop full stop and others who develop quicker.

3. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dude, I have read your posts...you haven't got a clue what is going on, and how old are you?

Mister Veritisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am 58. You and I disagree on nearly everything. That is okay. I am right. You are wrong. We can still have a wonderful conversation.

1. profile image0

Cute. I'd love to, but when your points are dismantled, you leave the discussion. If you and I are going to converse, which I love doing, then you need to man up when you get beaten, and not just move on to the next rant.

No doubt you refer to your point by point refutation of my positions on economics. Do not fear. I am accumulating sufficient evidence to either confirm your position or invalidate it. I spent about an hour this morning. I will be sure to seek you out and invite you once the article is posted as a hub.

If that ever happens I will thank you for convincing me that a view I hold is not the correct view. First and foremost, I seek truth. So let's give this some time to play out. There are no good agreed upon histories yet of the eight Bush years. So fact checking is appropriate. And the one term president Obama's numbers are shrouded in obfuscation. So it is taking a bit of work to lay out the facts we might be able to agree to.

1. profile image0

Awesome my man, good to hear. Enjoy the journey. Hopefully, we'll become debate rally buddies. I hoped you were a seeker. Seek out sir! I'll talk to ya later.

I would like that as well.

LOL. What is the fun of being brilliant if one cannot occasionally change one's views or position?

1. profile image0

Look up the Securitization Food Chain too. That will spill out how the crisis happened. It will tick you off even more than you already are. Also, check into the relationship between the SEC and regulators of virtually every industry, and the parties that are being regulated. Rolling Stone has a great article on this one that will lead to many others. Fun stuff man. It will crunch your skull when you get into it and linger for weeks...more and more opens up. We are not in good shape brother. The house is built on cards.

4. profile image0

What kind of a father focuses on his political position above his family, calling his children idiots? Wow! Christmas must be great at your house...shouldn't you be concerned that they will abandon you because of your unyielding ignorance and mean spirit, leaving you to die alone in an old folks home, trying to talk to the checkers? Enjoy the pudding buddy

They think I am pretty awesome. As their brains mature they are discovering that I am right. They have both, individually, told me how much they appreciate me. And it gets better every year.

Both have told me they will take good care of me in my final years. You are probably still unformed. Give it a few more years. Once your brain is complete you will begin to realize I am right. I promise not to hold your youth and incompleteness against you.

1. profile image0

Awww....thanks Buddy. I am 34, but still. You know, oddly, when I was a kid until I was around 22, I was a die hard conservative, worked campaigns, VP NT College Republicans, Lincoln Day dinners, had lunch twice with then House Majority Leader Big Dick Army, etc....it took a bit of time to realize quite the opposite of what you are spouting. Maybe, just maybe...you need a little maturing to get to the point I am at. I started with a library card. Want one?

A library card is  good idea. I wore out several growing up as an Army brat. In my house I have between 2 and 3,000 books of the old-fashioned paper kind. In addition I have another 10K books of the digital sort (Project Gutenberg).
            I have a reading plan, a burn down plan, that will get me through another 1200 books before I die.

I think I am fine on the reading side of the equation. I have lived 24 years longer than you. I have 20 years in the Army. I did alright. Maturity? I have enough. Wisdom? I am always looking for more.

5. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find it interesting that you want to take responsibility away from someone. More or less, that is what you are saying.

Raising the age to vote, makes no sense. The only thing you've managed to tell me, is that there is a huge freaking problem in this country- if kids are aging faster(or more) than they are developing? Then, I would think that would be a more important issue to address.

The voting age has been the same for a long time. No reason to change it. Being 18 and adulthood, seems to lost among people. Kids are not raised good enough. More crime than you can shake a stick at. Just a bunch of misfits, walking aimlessly down a path they cannot even see and accepting it? Yet, they cannot even accept their own damn neighbors.

Pathetic is the only word to describe it.

I want to shield the nation from the consequences of unformed brains. Perhaps a charlatan like the immature, amateur president we have today would not be in office, damaging the nation every day if we did not have incomplete idiots voting for incompetent fools.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, your post said it all. You simply don't like the results of those who voted for President Obama. You raised your children hopefully to think on their own?

Even after the brain is fully developed gives no guarantee that it will make sound choices. Look around.

We send our 18 years old to war.

The voting age should remain at 18.

demographics of  2008 presidential race- only 18% of voters 18-29 voted. 66% voted for Obama. The 45-64 age group had the highest number of voters with only 37% voting. 50% voted for Obama. http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/electi … ed_08.html

So about 2/3rds of those with unformed brains voted for the one term president Obama.

Are those good groupings? Is the raw data available? I would like to do slice the data in different ways to see if other insights might be gleaned from this disastrous experiment with Marxism.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can take a look at different data.
          http://www.google.com/search?q=demograp … =firefox-a

I think anyone can take any data and see whatever it is they wish to see. wink  Studies show that peak cognitive abilities take place between the ages of 30-40. After 40 there is a decline, especially if the brain isn't being fed optimally and exercised.

But the brain is elastic and can expand to take in new information at any age. The key is to make it work differently which means we need to change the ways in which we make judgments and decisions according to the circumstances.
          I do like Texas's reference to Rolling Stone. I've been reading it since I was a teenager, some decent investigative journalism.

Nice search. I love this:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5072614_f248.jpg

Do you think all those wealthy Northeastern Jewish people will be supporting the one term president this time around?

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
              Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think the those highly educated Northeastern Jews are one-issue voters, and that their one issue is Israel?
              Ha ha ha ha ha.

I suppose we shall find out.
                Personally, I thing the president is making side deals with CAIR and other radical Islamist organizations.

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Might I suggest that the real problem lies with your apparent lack of competent parenting skills, and not with the girls at all.  Secondly, you should start by holding yourself accountable for raising these idiot children, and quite blaming someone or something else for your failure.  That's a start....

You are the said parent of these girls, are you not?  Well then, why did you raise idiots? As a parent of a teenager, I blame you for this.

And........., to think that you want the American taxpayer to foot millions of dollars to raise the voting age to 26, all because you read an article, and because you did a crappy job at raising your own kids.  Now that's the typical mentality of a Republican.lollollol

My wife and I assumed all along we would be poor parents. We didn't have very much. We did awful things like read to them. One of their favorite memories was of me quizzing them as I read them Sherlock Holmes stories. My oldest daughter told me recently that she thinks that is why she is such an excellent reader. I think it was because I offered to buy them any book they would agree to read. Both girls had large libraries.

See above. Mea culpa.

Also see above. Mea culpa.

Is it better that the nation perish? That is clearly liberal thinking.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
          IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Our nation will not perish because of your two stupid children...

Please.

Thankfully. It is everybody else's stupid children... :-)
            Not stupid. Unformed. Idiots.

8. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good. And let's raise the age one has to be to enlist in the armed forces to 58. Because by that age one has a better idea of his own mortality.

Ah, we get fat. We drink too much wine. Bad idea for reasons other than the one you cited.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

get rid of voting altogether and just let people decide what they want with their money.

1. profile image0

If you hate living in a society so much, go to the New Guinea man! Live with the natives and trade shiny trinkets.

2. profile image0

My man...think hard now...if we went to the society you want, no rules of law except the market, then are you sure you can compete? You see, that nice shirt you have on in the picture, well you better know how to throw those fists and defend a take down, because with no rule of law...I am taking it from you, and your house, and your car, and your cereal...because I like cereal. That is, me and about 2000 people waiting outside your nice house with bats. You can throw out Ron Paul slogans while the crowd raids your neighborhood. Welcome to Pre Civil War buddy

I think the US Constitution, dusted off, used once again will do quite nicely. The post-Constitution era we find ourselves in where there are no limits on government always leads to tyranny. We are seeing it today.

1. John Holden profile image62
          John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What, roll it up and use it to beat off assailants lol

Ha! That was funny. :-)

3. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Evan,...? A Comunist Capitalist!......oh man!   lolol

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I have heard that before, but phrased as the logical, reasoning part of the brain that was late in developing.

If that is true there is much that the younger people should not be doing, including drinking, driving, voting, and serving in the military.  Of course, that may well be why they make better soldiers!

5. SparklingJewel profile image65
    SparklingJewelposted 12 years ago

action and interaction are the only way humans learn to make better choices...trial and error.

if anyone thinks they are not still learning, no matter what age they are, then they are not being honest with themselves!

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Learning is like a leaky faucet; you can't shut it off completely, but you sure can turn it down, and too many people do just that.

When we find a drunk driver we "explain" it to them, with harsh punishment as a backup.  So they do it again and we "explain" it again with harsher punishment.  So they do it again and we "explain" it a third time, with ever greater fines and jail time.  So they serve their time, get out and do it again.

The faucet is closed as far as it can get.

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

Not while 18 year olds are dieing in our wars.

We can provide some other means of thanking them. We do not need to allow their incompetence to destroy this nation. We can shield them from their incompetence until they are completely formed. That way the nation will prosper and they will greatly benefit.
      Allowing them, through their incompetence, to vote an equally incompetent, equally immature almost-adult into the presidency is a disaster.
      Hope and change? Sounds good to a kid. Not so much to an adult.

1. John Holden profile image62

You're completely delusional you are!

I suppose that those under thee age of 25 would be incompletely delusional. :-)

2. John Holden profile image62

But how old is your incompetent, immature president?
        What's that, over 50 you say!
        Sort of blows your argument out of the water doesn't it.

No. There will always be charlatans who will take advantage of the "useful idiots", as V.I. Lenin called them. For some people arrogance and immaturity last a life time. Fortunately the one term president Obama is unlikely to damage us for a second term.

7. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Mr V, it sounds reasonable and obvious that the voting age should be raised in light of our advancing scientific knowledge but there's so much more to consider:

Younger adults may not have a fully functioning brain capable of making good decisions (or at least not as good as they will eventually be able to). What about the older adults who will never get to the point these youngers are at already - even with unfinished brains? Did you hear and see people's arguments before Obama was elected? And this isn't restricted to only the Obama election obviously but it sure was made incredibly clear.

I'm sorry you had to discover that about your kids, glad you have hope that they may still 'grow out of it' but you'll have to face that they may never do so, and that many others never will either.

Naw, they are both amazing young adults. And they are coming along quite nicely as their brains become complete. :-)

2. profile image0

You two are perfect examples of dysfunctional adult brains, pointing the finger...I love the cartoon.

1. TLMinut profile image60
        TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't know what you mean here but I still defend the point that age is not the only thing to take into account when it comes to voting. If people are legally responsible for themselves, they should have the right to vote.

I pointed out that many people don't have the sense to make good choices but that's the way people are. Who gets to say "you don't get to vote because you're not smart enough" or "you didn't make a good choice"? There will always be people making ridiculous choices no matter what their age.

Then you come to the matter of the one claiming that someone else's choice was wrong and absurd just being wrong themselves. Wrong can be subjective.

8. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

A little over half of the eligible adults voted in the last U.S. election, and this is in itself a disgrace. I would think a voter with an incompletely matured brain chooses more wisely than the one sitting home on the sofa.

The voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 because of the Vietnam war, when drafting those under 21 was common. If you're too young to vote, you're too young to die in a war begun by mature adult's.

I'm guessing that a lot of these young adults do vote conservative anyway. It's an issue of fairness, not politics.

9. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

If you believe the article that you read, then sex between adults will have to be postponed till age 26, anyone's first beer will not officially arrive till 26, and a whole lot of other things that only adults can do won't apply till they are 26. That includes serving in the armed forces of several countries...am I right?

The current trend around the rest of the REAL world is that the age of Voters is being lowered...not raised to 26. I won't ask what the name of the publication is, what's the point.

I would not believe everything I read. Sounds like someone flying a kite to me. Cheers!

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I was growing up, the age was 21 to vote. Any speculation about why it was lowered?

1. Doug Hughes profile image60

The most convincing argument at the time was that anyone old enough to be drafted to die in a foreign war is entitled to a vote for the leadership that will commit to that conflict.

Almost. Tricky Dick ended the draft AND lowered the the voting age...both became effective in 1972. Further, the  attempts by that admin to acheive peace w/ Viet Nam had, by that time been successful. Ground troops were being drawn down, and no new troop deployments were being implemented. Still, lowering the age was the only way HE could be re-elected...and once promised, he was too afraid of not fulfilling his pledge.
          I enlisted in late seventy two, primarily because of that.

10. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 12 years ago

The larger issue is an attempt at voter suppression. It stinks.

States are cutting back on early voting.

They are passing draconian laws which restrict voter registration linked to high penalties for minor infractions. Example - The league of women voters will NOT be conducting voter registration in Florida. The only state and the first time this organization has bowed out. There are discussions about restricting voter rights to property owners - not renters.

As the OP suggests, conservatives are hunting for ways to disqualify anyone inclined to vote liberal.    This should frighten 90% of voters.

A less drawn out horse race is always way more interesting and exciting. At the very least, the News outlets shouldn't be able to report results until all the voting is done. Even the possibility that it could affect voter turnout or an election should be cause for concern.

2. Mister Veritis profile image61

illegal

:-) I understand. Democrats always get nearly the entire illegal vote. Combine that with the public sector union thug vote and it is hard to even consider a fair election. It is a shame to take such a valuable tool away from the liberal, democratic, party.

11. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Interesting concept.
    So if we're going to withhold the right to vote based on brain formation, it follows that there should be a lower voting age for women than men. As we all know boys mature slower.
    So how about we keep 18 for girls and raise it to 26 for boys?

Meanwhile, if we're so concerned about mental capacity, how about we institute a "voting competence" test for old people.
    You know, like the DMV requires the elderly to prove they are still competent to drive.
    I personally like this idea, as old people vote more conservatively, especially on education-related issues.

LOL. What a great idea. More like 24 for girls and 26 for boys.

There are many possible solutions. I have two that I like. One is based upon IQ. It ought to  take three digits to play. The second is taxes. If you cannot prove you are paying taxes then you cannot vote in that election. So those who pay no federal income taxes would be excused from voting. That way those of us who do pay will get to decide.

Another thought I had is to get a number of votes based upon how much income tax one pays. I pay 40,000 in federal income tax so I should get 40,000 votes. But not for an individual. I want to vote on line items in the budget. Let each of us have one vote for each dollar. Then put each line in the budget online and let me vote one time for each dollar of federal income tax I pay. Give the taxpayers 30 days to vote. Then rank order the line items according to the total number of votes received.  Seem fair?

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Another novel approach.
        But I fear it could end up having unintended consequences (assuming your goal is to tilt the vote Republican).
        What about people who pay very little (or no) income tax because they have a boatload of deductions?
        Wouldn't your approach actually penalize them rather than give them more votes?

The whole idea is to defeat the 'one person - one vote' concept.

Remember in the original Constitution, slaves counted in determining population, but were denied any vote in politics. In the new order,  fat cats want us as consumers and cheap labor. But they are terrified by representative democracy.

One paying person one vote.

It is the current Constitution. Counting slaves as 3/5ths of a person was intended to prevent the south from having more representatives, thus making it more difficult to end slavery.

I think a republican form of government under a Constitution that is being followed is a peachy keen thing. But we are beyond that now. Government is not limited. It's powers are absolute. And part of the reason why is the almost half of the population that receives far more in benefits from big government than it pays for.

I suppose if an unemployed person doesn't want to become a homeless person ( living under a bridge with their children) they should pay taxes equal to their benefits.

Basicly, that's what you are suggesting.

I don't know if that is what I was suggesting. I was explicit that only people who have a stake in the outcome should be allowed to vote. A means to determine whether or not one has a stake in the outcome is proof that the appropriate tax was paid.

2. Mister Veritis profile image61

I wasn't thinking of a tilt. That may be a side benefit. We are doomed when we invite people with no stake in their government to vote.

This has two parts. Income taxes paid = opportunity to vote for the candidate of your choice. Quantity of income taxes paid = opportunity to weight the line items of the budget in order to identify those things people want.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

I think that voters should have to pass an I.Q. test with a score above 100 which might exclude one or two of the participants in this forum whom I won't name out of fear of banishment.

Hell. Half of congress wouldn't be able to vote! Capital Idea LOL!!!

You think ALL the Teabaggers in he House would fail?

2. Druid Dude profile image60

You shall be banished for a period of ten years to Gulag in Siberia! There, you will learn to be a more productive comrade. Some people just get their lil' feelin's hurt SOOOOOO easily.

3. Mister Veritis profile image61

:-)

This conservative would never even suggest banishing you or anyone else. How can I convince you if you cannot post any longer. No. Banishment is a tool that liberals use.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)