pdf files: Frustrated at over promotional

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Victoria Stephens profile image74
    Victoria Stephensposted 12 years ago

I design colouring pictures and have saved them individually as .pdf files.  I store them online and can provide links to them so that people can download them.

I really want to make a hubpage that allows people to download them one at a time rather than one link to a whole booklet as this would save on wasted bandwidth but i'm being warned about it being over promotional because links all point back to the same online storage site.

Is there another way around this using hubpages?  I'm not really out to promote myself but rather just want to share the pictures one at a time.

1. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Stephanie:

Possibly you can reintroduce some of these pictures and incorporate them here on hubpages, without using the PDF files. Or you could send an email to the hubpages team directly with your question. They will provide the necessary feedback you are searching for and are good about getting back to you in about two days or so. In addition try reviewing the questions and answers section of the learning center on hubpages. That area also provides some good tips and answers that hubber's often seek. I hope this helped you out a little.

Jlbowden

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She clearly wants people to be able to download PDFs. The OP is coming here in search of specific solutions.

2. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you contact us directly on this? I'd like to review this site and see if it was properly labeled.

Victoria Stephensposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Norah Casey,  I have just sent an email, Thank you very much for reviewing it.xxx

1. profile image0
          Norah Caseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That domain was either mislabeled by mistake or had been abused by an author who is no longer on HubPages.

You should be able to use it now, but if someone abuses it again you may be restricted to 2 links per hub. I'm going to bring this issue up at a meeting later in the week, and see if we can build something to accommodate .pdf files.

Ok brilliant, Thank you so much for your quick reply.  It would be great to see something on here that can accommodate .pdf files.  I would deffinatly rather keep all files here and in one place than somewhere else.  Hupages is my fav smile

Thanks again.xxx

3. IntimatEvolution profile image70
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages is not the best website choice, when wanting to market yourself, or a blog, or a pdf file.  Sites like redgage.com and shetoldme.com are more suited for what you're wanting to do.

Hubpages doesn't want you backlinking to other web addresses (whether owned by you or not) that is not associated with hubpages.  So........, if you are including backlinks to an outside web address, yeah, you're going to be cited for it. 

At redgage, you actually get paid directly for promoting links to photo files, hubs, personal blogs, etc......  Try them, I lov'em.  My name is IntimatEvolving on the site, in case you're needing a friend there.

1. profile image0

If the hub links to a blog, which then has all the PDF download links, and if the blog is related to the hub's contents, which presumably it will be, there shouldn't be any problems with "overly promotional."

1. IntimatEvolution profile image70

If you backlink more than twice there is. You can't backlink to the same file over and over, and you are only allowed 2 or 3 "outside" backlinks.  That's why people get cited all the time.

Maybe not, but, I'm pretty sure that is how it works.

Hi IntimatEvolution,

Thank you for your comment.  I have read the terms and conditions and totally understand them.  The only thing that bothers me a bit is that they are only hosted on another site, that site is useless in terms of any competition with hubpages and what people here would be getting is a pdf file that also plays a part in sending people back to hubpages as it would have my hubpage address on it.

2. profile image0

Now you are getting close to the truth.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#overly_promotional

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, only if they don't know the rule.

You are only allowed 2 links to the same website in one Hub, but you could have 100 links to websites in one Hub if they're all different.  It's pretty simple so I'm surprised so many people trip over it.

I am fully aware of the rules and understand them. No triping up here, just the circumstances were a bit 'out of the box'.  I have spoken to hubpages staff and it's all sorted now, I can go ahead with my page in the way that I want it to be.  Happy me! wink

1. recommend1 profile image61
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the event that it gets stopped again for any reason - you can always use one link with a list in your hub to provide the last word in the file for each individual page.like www://whatever/thingy/picture name.

2. Victoria Stephens profile image74

Hi again,  thanks for the information, I'm familar with redgage and she told and your right they are a very good possibility.  I'm just a fan of hubpages as I like the way I can lay things out etc so I'd rather it be on here but will try other places if I need to. Thanks again.xxxx

1. IntimatEvolution profile image70

I'm glad to be of help.

Yeah though, being a fan of site has nothing to do with "working" within the policy of that said site.  HubPages is not the avenue to take with what you're wanting to do.  It's not.  It never has been, and they don't want to be.  However, those other sites have been designed as a resource to use in conjunction with your hubs.

Might I also suggest that you upload your PDF picture files here on HubPages instead of an outside source, and then backlink your other blogs and files to those hubs, driving traffic to the hub and not away from HubPages.  That's what us "lovers of HubPages" do for the site we call home.

We are all tickled pink to have you here on HubPages, and better traffic flowing to your hubs, usually keeps people like you from leaving out of frustration. smile

1. profile image0

Impossible. HubPages does not currently offer hosting of PDF files, whether they contain images or something else.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I and others have had these kinds of discussions before, and there are no obvious solutions. The simplest solution is to create a blog post with the download links, then direct your visitors to go and download the files from there. Otherwise, you may have to go through the trouble of finding multiple hosts; or you could ask for an exemption. Finally, you could post the links on your profile page.

Thanks Website Examiner,

I hadn't considered a blog yet so thank you very much for that idea. I think I will probably go with that one as it does sound the simplest.

Finding multiple hosts would be a bit of a nightmare as I have quite a lot of pictures but that would be great for someone with considerably less files.

I also make other things like wordsearches etc so I planned on doing several hubs in that style and I think it could be a pain to keep asking for an excemption.

Also good idea about profile page, i'll keep that one in mind for smaller projects.

Thank you so much for your input, it has been exstreamly helpful.  smile  Best wishes.x

1. profile image0

My pleasure, wishing you the very best.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)