Personal Website and Blog Pages.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. thebluestar profile image76
    thebluestarposted 12 years ago

I have been a member of hub pages for 11 months now and am starting to find my way around with the help of many hub pages friends. Does anyone know of a very simple way to create your own website or blog page. I say "Very Simple" because I am not great with all the modern technology,and normally use my computer as a word processor.

I make a lot of  custume jewellery in my spare time and find it very relaxing, my partner is constantly telling me that I ought to open a website to sell my jewellery but I do not even know where to start. Please help

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, bluestar!

If you are interested in actually selling your product online, I would try sending an email to fellow hubber Austinstar.  She sells a number of things online and is also great at helping hubbers to figure out the details required to do so!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've heard several people say good things about Weebly.com, and if it has a shopping cart, then that would be a better option than Blogger.

I always feel a little concerned about recommending a free service, because you don't have complete control - they might go out of business, or change their fees, and you're over a barrel.  However I've only heard good things about Weebly, especially from internet novices who find Wordpress too challenging.

If you're going to use Weebly, do buy your own domain name to use with it.  That way, if you decide you want to use another service later on, you can easily transfer your site and the name won't change.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I found Weebly very easy.  It's free.  Nice templates to choose from.  I didn't want my website to be a blog, but I have a blog on my website.

http://www.aspergerschild.org/

The ecommerce will be rather basic though, I expect.  My hubby has a website with Webstarts http://www.rockyrocketshop.com/beads.html

It can be personalized more than Weebly & objects can be layered, not just placed in capsules side by side.  There are videos to watch - it's more to learn than Weebly.  The ecommerce is more sophisticated.

Both of these are drag & drop with nothing to download.

1. viryabo profile image95
          viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Maybe i should try them both.

3. ms.srivathsan profile image60
      ms.srivathsanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

use the following links dude

http://weebly.com (for  website)
      http://blogspot.com ( for blog page)

4. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

People ask about making their own blog all the time.  If you're willing to pay for hosting use word press and then install wordpress weaver.  The management side and feel of your site (including custom columns header etc) is all handled within their "weaver admin" tab.  This, for me at least, is the easiest way of setting up my own site... and it's worked very well so far.

Check it out at wpweaver.info

1. hfmabry profile image59
        hfmabryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I second this.  I use weaver for 2 small business websites.

2. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I use Blogger/Blogspot to write my blogs, I am using them as a learning tool to work out what works for me.

I hope eventually to get to grips with domains and hosting to give me more scope but at the moment the simplicity of Blogger makes it quick and easy for me to alter and adapt as I wish.

You can even keep them 'hidden' while you set them up, until you are happy to share them on-line. There are themes that you can tweak to suit the style of blog and also you can add Adsense and Amazon easily.

I do not get much traffic but I think that is probably down to not posting daily and my lack of promotion of them.

1. profile image57
      SsvRrwQposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This. Blogspot is free, almost instant, has a huge base of people and widgets and templates, works with your own domain, allows commercial usage... the list goes on.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I'm not aware that it has a shopping car though?

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

I like blogger as well. As to selling online, there are several venues you can use besides a blogger account that are free. You could try webstore dot com, eCrater dot com, miiduu dot com, etsy dot com, and artfire dot com, just to name a few.

4. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

Tumblr is pretty simple.

5. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Weebly.com lets you create websites with blog features too, and has shopping cart tech for pages too, all for free. The pro version is even better. I use and love it. Blogger is cool too!

1. neakin profile image70
      neakinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a blogger.  I am partial to Wordpress.  Blogspot, however, is probably easiest.

6. nabeelplus profile image59
    nabeelplusposted 12 years ago

go for wordpress.com, you can always create a blog for free there & its easy for SEO, i can always help you if you like smile

Wordpress.com can't be monetized and doesn't have a shopping cart so it wouldn't work for the application being considered.

7. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

There is a wealth of suggestions here, and they make me eager to try out some of them when I can!

One hubber, Wrath Warbone, has written a very interesting Hub specifically about selling jewelry online.  From what I recall it does not give details about setting up the website, but it does have some good business tips for getting the word out about the site, and so forth.  It might be of interest for getting the business going.  (I know that you have asked specifically about setting up a website, but I'm throwing this idea in for free. smile)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Fifteen-Tip-On- … ful-Friend

I agree, there are some great tips for the OP. The only thing I notice is that the lady in the Hub got her domain name and hosting from GoDaddy, which is not a good idea - they have a bad reputation for hosting!

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your perspective on GoDaddy.  The things I've heard about it have seemed to give mixed reviews, and I don't know enough to know why. Any other insights about it would be helpful!

Sorry, missed your post Aficionada.  Just Google NoDaddy and you'll read enough to frighten you off forever!

I think they're a bit like eBay and Paypal - fine if nothing goes wrong, but an absolute nightmare when there's a problem.  The thing is, there isn't a real alternative to either eBay or Paypal but there are plenty of alternatives to GoDaddy.

8. vinner profile image70
    vinnerposted 12 years ago

There is a lot of sites allowing to host your sites and blogs. If it is your site, there is weebly.com, 110mb.com etc hosting your pages free of cost and also you can put advertisements of your own in these sites.
    If it is blog that you want to publish free of cost there is hubpages.com, blogger.com, wordpress.com, tumbler.com etc

9. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Don't forget you'll need to backlink your site for lots of customers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)