Completely dependent on Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    wendy87posted 13 years ago

Any one here completely dependent on hubpages for living ??

1. Ritsos profile image40
      Ritsosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pretty screwed if they are right now !!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anyone who was, even when things were going well, was very misguided!  It's never a good idea to rely 100% on any site you don't own.

3. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think quite a few of us were sitting pretty prior to panda coming along. For most people myself included it has been the wake up call that we needed. You cannot rely on just one source of income either passive or any other method directly from the internet. Build your nests in many trees, good luck smile

2. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

chatting on forums or money you earn.....

1. profile image0
      wendy87posted 12 years agoin reply to this

money !!!

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 12 years ago

LOL .. chatting or money smile

I was trying to get hubs up to be 10% of my income... nearly there then the Panda ate my homework. 

Gonna have to put some more work in now....

Plan A was to make Hubs income = my other online income.

Plan B was born when I got lazy and that seemed a bit hard, so...

Plan B was to make Hubs income = 10% of my other online income

Nearly got there when the Panda peed on my parade.

So... Plan C.... work harder, to achieve Plan B, then Plan A ... er, within ... (thinks about the work that needs) ... 2-3 years... or so.

4. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

Was planning on it, but obviously once again we all know what happened!

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I must say I was about 70% independent on Hubpages so it was a bit of a hit - and right before I quit my job to work at home. So I'm currently working on putting my eggs in LOTS of baskets.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Having a lot of different kinds of eggs isn't a bad idea either.   smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good idea! 

HubPages was about half my income online, but I wasn't wholly dependent on that.

I expect HubPages will continue to be a big part of my income, though more indirectly.  Even though they're not earning so well, my Hubs still provide valuable backlinks to my websites, which improves their earning ability.

I think more Hubbers need to remember that, before they give up and unpublish so many of their Hubs.  Even if you were Hubbing about (say) blue widgets and you've decided to create your own site on that subject, don't remove your Hubs - instead, use them as backlinks to your new site.

Revenue-sharing sites may not earn so well in their own right any more, but they're still the only place to get contextual backlinks AND get paid for it.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only hubs I've got left on this account are those that are still earning/getting views or are for  backlinks.

2. Lissie profile image74
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - I will only unpublish the stuff HP doesn't want anymore - which is annoying enough. The hubs that I had which fell in rankings - are responding quite nicely to be me building links to them - will only be doing it for the ones that earn me more than the links cost me - so its a subset - but yeah dead hubs can be revived (and its got NOTHING to do with pixelated images or grammar LOL)

3. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was all set to take down some of my most-trafficked hubs but I came to the same conclusion as you've just done here. 

But if HP ever decides to claim rights to our hubs then that will change, of course.

In answer to the OP's question: no.  Thank God.

3. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A lot of my earnings are dependent on one Hub, it dropped during Panda but seems to have risen this week again and my earnings have been great once again. Its receiving nearly 1000 views a day and says that the traffic is coming from Google, however I have searched the popular keywords and can't seem to find where it is ranking high? anyone have any suggestions?

The keyword tool in the hubs or Analytics doesn't help?

1. Richieb799 profile image74
          Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually now I look it seems to be spread out over a lot of se's, but the majority coming from Google. I will look deeper at Analytic but the keywords on hubpages stats I have look for with no avail hmm

6. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

Until I get better at the SEO, etc., hell no!!!! wink

7. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

What a Great Question.. smile
    So..... to Gain a Mark on my Personality Accolade.. I would Like to Answer this question.. Honestly and Openly!

Well.. I believe that I am completely dependent on my .56 cents per week from my share of the clicks on this site!

Such ROI gives me a true sense of worth and the confidence of knowing that I am still getting paid, even though I get banned while trying to stop ratbags from Stealing my Work, Duplicating it and Undermining my earning potential here!

As a Great Writer... I know that I can try harder and maybe get up to $1.00 per week..
    But factually, I feel that if I write new material in an attempt to do that.. perhaps the same thieves, or another lot, will just use their HP membership to steal all my new work again.. just like they did last time and the time before and the time before that! sad

I used to worry and in fact, be quite angry that HP have NEVER Communicated Any Assurance To Us... that such events concern them as much as it does us, or that they have taken any steps to ensure our content is protected from such soul-destroying events! sad

However, since I was last banned before... effectively for speaking out against underhand practices, trolls and thieves scraping content here... I have been told that I should really become more dependent! This has even been endorsed by the fact that now I can be graded by HP Staff members, who actually do not know me.. as to the level of my community value... via what they consider to be what my interaction represents to others! hmm

I feel now that I want to jump through every hoop that gets put in front of me... Like WOW.. Rewards... I Am So Motivated and Happy that I can be Like... Popular etc....WOW!!! roll

And Now... it doesn't matter if my work gets stolen, or that all my traffic has dropped, or I that so many respected members have left the site!!! 
    I mean.. WOW!!!!! I'm So Lucky!!
    Where Else Could I get a chance to Earn So Much Every Week and Get Graded?? 
    WOW.... It's just like doing chores after school for pocket money.. WOW!!!

Thank You.. for asking such an appropriate and relevant Question! smile

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Yes, I kind of feel the same way.  There are some of us who really are, if anything, DEmotivated by being treated like six year old primary school kids.

1. workingmomwm profile image80
        workingmomwmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

See, that doesn't bother me at all. I get treated like that (or worse) at my full-time job - why I'm really not in a hurry to get back there, so I'm going to take all the short-term disability I can get!

To answer the OP: I was hoping to make a go of things while on maternity leave. Now I know that I still have so much to learn. I can't possibly live on HP earnings alone (or even added to Squidoo earnings). So I'm working on developing my own web site(s) now. Maybe one day I'll be able to be my own boss (not holding my breath, though).

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
          Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

By far the best option.  Anything else and you always risk having the rug pulled out from under your efforts.

Put in just a couple of hours every day, and within a year, you'll probably find yourself half way there.

@The OP, "Hell NO!"

8. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

I have watched the comments on HP traffic since Panda broke and want to provide a balanced view. First, HP staff did NOT tinkle on your parade; Google didn't either. Google updated their search engine to provide a better product. The update had a few bugs that I know Google is busting hump to make right. If they fail, they give competitors a shot at their goose that lays golden eggs. HP made changes to improve the site and rank better in the search engines. I know it is hard for some to believe, but HP is in it to make money, too. If you had hubs unpublished you were part of the problem. Write hubs that follow the new Terms of Service. I had zero hubs unpublished and only modified a handful with too many Amazon products listed. (I had an experimental phase, too.)

Now let me knock the manure out of the traffic myths. Traffic to the entire HP site is down for two reasons: Google's Panda update demoted HP along with numerous hubs and HP unpublished scores of hubs until they met the new requirements.

Some hubbers have seen traffic increase since the Panda tsunami. You are reading one of those hubbers now. Panda struck in late February. My March traffic was the highest ever, up over 300%. April eased up from the March pace, but still the second best month ever. Myth busted.

My future plans include a new experimental hub, one that is 3000 words with lots of good, detailed information, links, video, maps, and more. The short, poorly written hubs, especially sales hubs, are dead. Longer sales hubs will thrive. This is where the tire meets the pavement. The search engines want quality for their clients. (Sounds like an accountant speaking, doesn't it?) If you build it (ahh, write it) they will come.

Google weeded out tones of manure from the internets and demoted it to the bottom of the sludge pond. Good for them. My junk sank as fast as the rest. Good riddance to rubbish. Now is the time to write the best stuff you have, not 500 words for a quick published hub and hopefully a fast buck, but solid, informative, and helpful writing.

(Final note: What do you think HP staff moral is when they are told they are incompetent in the forums on a regular basis? I would rather see them motivated and excited about making the HP experience better than ever. Good job guys (and gals). The site looks good and is getting better by the day.)

1. The staff have said that these ToS changes were already in the pipeline before Panda came along and...

2. Panda isn't the issue that has many hubbers worked up. In fact during March, the first month after Panda hit, many hubbers were in the "get in there and get it done" mode and happy to support Hubpages. It was after that, as changes followed changes, many of which were unclear and some not even officially announced, that hubbers became upset.

9. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

Wry, business is constant change. Get used to it. Can you imagine a tax preparer upset the tax code changed and quit as a result? Sorry, if you want to make money, belly up to the bar and learn to love change. Technology is changing faster than any other field. Maybe we should quit because we need to update our browser every few years or update the current only daily.

Change is the only constant. Those that refuse to flow with the changing environment leave more for me. (And you, too, if you so choose.)

The top hubbers are going with the change - it's given most of them the jump start they need to start their own sites and communities. smile

1. SunSeven profile image62
        SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought Its bedtime in Australia.! smile

10. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

Well I can't see how the Panda improved Google. I have found more copied hubs out there than ever. Some of copied hubs, where they just stole the first half of the hub and added irrelevant images show up higher in the search engines than the complete, original hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)