Logic and Religion

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 12 years ago

Logic does not always have a say in many things.  Why do you fall in love? Is there always logic in these matters?

Why do you like some people at first sight and want to go as far away as possible from some?

Why do you lie when it is perfectly clear that you do not really have to?

Why do lice proliferate ONLY in clean hair and not messy one as to be expected?

Why do plantae breathe in carbon di-oxide which if people do, will kill them?

Why do you then expect logic in religion?

1. mrpopo profile image71
      mrpopoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think logic has a say in anything outside human matters. At least, as far as I can see.

For instance, animals like the male peacock seem to waste a lot of energy on having colourful displays for the female when it might make them more prone to predators. Logically it wouldn't make much sense, but their courtship trait propagated. This article explains it well http://www.livescience.com/5066-peacock … tails.html

What I do think is that there is a logical explanation for these phenomena.

Why do you fall in love? I guess it can be explained as an evolutionary adaptation that was selected for in our species. It makes sense because parents will care more for their young and themselves with an emotional attachment, an altruistic behavior that was/is beneficial to the species. That's how I see it, at any rate. You can find a similar explanation for love at first sight.

I'm not sure how you can establish that you don't *have* to lie. For instance, it is a well established fact that I am an immortal being from the planet Krypton. Did I have to lie about that? No, in the sense that it was not a necessity. But I did lie about it to prove a point. In that sense, I had a reason to lie. If the reason isn't clear, it doesn't mean there was "no reason".

This article explains that head lice myth: http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghea … 271382.htm

From what I heard, greasy hair is harder for lice to reproduce in, but I think they'll manage regardless.

Why do plants breathe in CO2? Because of photosynthesis. We aren't capable of that, so we rely on breathing in O2. Either way both plant and mammal cells undergo cellular respiration to generate energy.

I don't expect logic in religion. I expect people recognize that religion isn't meant to be a logical explanation, instead fulfilling other requirements like a sense of community, but at the same time it can be an emotional comfort like Santa Claus. Maybe some day we'll see what it's truly used for and realize that there are better alternatives, and altogether let go of it (I don't mean any offense with what I said, that's just my take on it).

Our universe doesn't necessarily operate on logic (again, as far as I can see), but logic can explain how the universe works.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

As Judge Judy says: "If it doesn't make sense it is not true"" I would expect my religion to make sense.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol , I like Judge Judy ,but even she doesn't always make sense wink

3. kess profile image60
    kessposted 12 years ago

The mind need logic to operate.

Therefore there is much logics within the false as there is with Truth.

Otherwise there is no way anything false can operate much less to be useful to any, even especially to those who use it to their selfish benefit.

Therefore we see that one man call his Logics Truth because it works for him, while he reject that of another as false....

Not quite understanding that to both of them their position is logical, so therefore Truth .....at least to each of them..

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

kess wrote

Therefore we see that one man call his Logics Truth because it works for him, while he reject that of another as false....

Not quite understanding that to both of them their position is logical, so therefore Truth .....at least to each of them..

= - = - =

ME   

you have explained very well and simply in this post what the root cause for all of the worlds problems IS..

1. kess profile image60
        kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problems ends....

With  the man who uses Truth to form his logical reasoning.....

rather  than use logical reasoning to form his Truth.

This man has begun to Live.

IN  THE  BEGINNING there was "a" truth ..........

AND eversense then .....    Our perseption of it has been looseing little bits and pieces while the rest of it has been getting rusty  ....   cause we haven't been keeping it clean.

1. kess profile image60

in the beginning there was The word and that word was Truth.....

Truth is always single , if not then it is false.

Plurality is because of division and division is because of falacies....

This is the testinony of Truth  'My father and I are One'

How many pieces of twine does it require to have ONE ball of twine.

The ball of twine is one single truth in and of itself.

If Ya know what I mean?

1. kess profile image60

I know what you mean and I still say no....

For truth is the  union .....when each  remain by themselves they are not Truth but remain as false.

SO therefore when the strand is separate from the twine it in not the twine itself but merely a strand.

though it may have much simililarities, it's separation makes it different.

The son is not a son unless he is united with the father and where there is no unity there is no knowledge of His sonship.

4. knolyourself profile image60

"Therefore there is much logics within the false as there is with Truth." Great point.
    The craziest of us all uses perfect logic
    within the context of their own definitions.

5. profile image0
    L.K.kiruiposted 12 years ago

The problem with logics is lack of sound premises to begine with. Everybody can unwind tautologies but to discover premises is the homework.

6. knolyourself profile image60

I like an incontrovertible premise.

1. profile image54
      Medical-Attorneyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Logic can take you from A to B while Imagination can take you anywhere.

7. knolyourself profile image60

Imagination can take you anywhere but is anywhere where you want to be?

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

An oxymoron. smile

Well earnest ;    is a ball of twine a single object?

Truthully a single object? True in and of itself?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was speaking of logic and religion. smile They go together like ice cream and pickles. smile

i was speaking of truth from where ever we can find it.

Any kind ?     

Truth is !  a single strand of twine is true to that which it is.    Until we impose imposible expectations upon it.

Those expectations or definitions falling upon it is what causes it to be false concerning our expectations.

As long a it doesn't attempt to be what it isn't ;  it remains within its own truth.

sorry about the delay in responding;  I just leveled a small house sinse my last post.

I'm sweaty and am going to jump into my cold spa.  82 degrees feels pretty good when it is still 90 degrees out  at 9:20 PM.

Where are you Jeremy? That sounds like Darwin weather! smile

I'm in Houston Tx.   kinda    close.

Yep ...  We have two seasons     For a coupla weeks we have winter

I would have thought the heat was a bit later in the year there. smile
                Live and learn, thanks. smile

'Well' the heavy summer doesn't start for a couple of months.

when it is getting up to 90 every day it is summer whatever month it is.

2. thirdmillenium profile image59
          thirdmilleniumposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You made it simple in deed.
          They both exist. So do religion and logic. They do not have to mix like Ice ream and pickles to do not have to mix. Enjoy both

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)