Hearts Go Out to Missouri Hubbers and Everyone in Missouri

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I'm guessing that our (near Joplin) Missouri Hubbers may not even be able to access computers and internet after last night's deadly tornado, but I'm hoping some will check in - when they can - to let us know they are okay.  I looked and haven't seen any sort of forum thread about this yet.

The photos of the destruction are awful and sobering.  There is a video (mostly sound) of people hiding in a convenience store refrigerator during the ordeal, here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou … ll-top-100

The headline describes the video as "chilling" and it truly is.  Those poor people.  But they survived, and around 100 people in the area did not.

I'm hoping all of us here can/will have the compassion to keep the people of Joplin in prayer and "positive thoughts" now and in the days to come.

1. Sunnyglitter profile image82
      Sunnyglitterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Missouri, but thank God my area wasn't hit hard like Joplin.  I'm not sure what's up with the weather lately.  We've had some terrible storms and tornadoes this year, and that never happens to us.  It scares me.

2. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

This has been a record spring for tornadoes in the midwest and south. More storms in that area today. My heart does go out to them.

3. Aficionada profile image79

It is very sobering.  They say these are the worst in fifty years or so. 

I remember from one of the Little House on the Prairie books, the Native Americans told pioneer settlers that major storms occurred every seven years, and super-major storms every 49-50 years.  That appears to be what we are experiencing now, but since the information is shared so instantaneously, it becomes even more frightening.

Please keep us posted on that region of the country!

4. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Yes...Prayers go out to those in Missouri...and for all those struck recently with disasters.

5. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Its just been on the news over here in the UK and the devastation was terrible. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost their home, been injured and I hope that all hubbers in the are are safe and well.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

As others are, I'm sure..   I'm thinking of the people who've been affected, and awaiting any comments from Hubbers in that area, or with family members/friends who may be.  There's not much anyone can say, other than that hearts go out to people there.

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

There are hardly any words ... it looks like a war zone. I've heard a lot of help is on the way or already there. It's hard to believe the strength of these storms and the terrible loss. Lots of love and well wishes to those affected.

8. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

It was on the radio last night here. So very sad.

I think most of us feel pretty much the same about this year's disasters. they have been constant and unrelenting all around the globe.

9. blessedmommy profile image81
    blessedmommyposted 12 years ago

I live in Oklahoma now, but Joplin, MO is my hometown.  I was born and raised there as well as my parents and grandparents. I was there just days ago after losing my grandma.  Many of the places near where I was are no more.  As far as I know, all of my family members are safe as we've heard from most of them.  There are so many stories pouring in today of those who weren't quite so fortunate.  I've been crying off and on all day as I hear stories of friends or friends of family and friends that have lost loved ones or are still missing.  I look at the photos and I would never have recognized my hometown, and from what I hear the pictures cannot tell how bad it is.  My aunt works at the Sears and Red Cross has been sending in people for clothes and shoes.  She's heard story after story of lost homes and lost loved ones.  It is really getting to her.  Especially since she's still grieving over my grandma, her mom.  I've heard that all the major landmarks that were there as I was growing up have been wiped out.  My cousin lost his girlfriend, some of my other family has lost their home or has sustained considerable damage.  My sister-in-law's cousin lost a 10 year old girl and her son has no brain activity, they said.  One little boy that went to school with a friend of mine lost his entire family.  My heart is breaking.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

blessedmommy, thoughts go out to you and your family, in particular.   There's nothing anyone can say that will help right now. Condolences on the loss of your grandmother, and on all the rest of the loss and heartbreak that has done on.

1. MPG Narratives profile image61
        MPG Narrativesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I echo Lisa HW's words, what more can we say. The disasters of 2011 are unrelenting and our thoughts and prayers go out to all that have (and still are) suffering.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
      tirelesstravelerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Our prayer are with you.

3. tlpoague profile image81
      tlpoagueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

10. Aficionada profile image79

Sunnyglitter, I'm glad to hear/see that you are okay.

blessedmommy, I am so sorry, so sad, to hear of your losses and those of people you know and love. There are no adequate words to convey the sympathy and caring of your community here, besides Lisa's - and others' - eloquent comments.

11. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Thank you.  The people of Joplin are in desperate need of supplies. The devastation, and the despair.... the need is so great there.  And, it keeps raining here in MO., making rescue efforts damn near impossible, and we had another storm today.  I'm not sure if Joplin got hit with it, but, they were perfectly situated to be one of the many areas to be hit.  If was coming out of Wichita, Ks.  So, it's pretty hopeless there right now. 

My doctor I work for is an oral surgeon, and he had contacts down there.  He wanted to take myself and a few others down there to assist in facial fractures and such.  But get this, the hospital not hit is too full and cannot accommodate anymore personnel or patients, the make shift medical centers don't have enough supplies as of yet....... supplies such as saline, blades and needles.  The basics.

Needless to say- it would have been pointless for us to go.  There is no place for us to see patients and set up a surgical unit.  Sad.  I live in Columbia, MO.  It's about a three hour drive south of us.  Beautiful town, but, from the looks of the pictures, not so much anymore.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glad to know you're okay, IntimatEvolution.  I hope someone will be able to find good places to set up some clinics in the Joplin area soon, so the injured can take advantage of the generosity of your boss and others like him.

12. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I know what it feels like... we don't get twisters, but we get hurricanes. I survived Hurricane Andrew which was devastating. Love, Good vibes, and of course, financial help heading your way from us down here in Miami. Stay strong and have faith!

13. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

We just got hit again.  This is Sedalia, MO.

Four tornodoes touched down about 2:30 pm CST.

The one in Sedalia did the most damage.  They actually had two of the four, where I lived one touched down on I-70 overturning a semi truck, and then one hit a small town 11 miles South of Columbia, in Ashland MO.  More storms cells on the radio, to be coming later this evening.  Kansas City got hit with a small one earlier this morning.  It's crazy.
    http://images.ientrymail.com/webpronews/pictures/sedalia_overhead_616.jpg

14. Froggy213 profile image63
    Froggy213posted 12 years ago

I am near St Louis and we have activity going on up here now. We cannot leave our area nor anyone come in as a tree is on fire after being blown into an electric line.

I have several friends in Joplin, I have heard from some, but there are others no one has heard from.

Thanks for posting this thread and for those that pray please do.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Be safe, get to low ground!

St. Louis is hasn't recovered from the last one has it? 

Let us know what happens.

1. Froggy213 profile image63
        Froggy213posted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are ok--supposed to be more rounds coming through later. Lost electric for awhile and the fire is out. No st Louis hasn't completely recovered from the one that hit near the airport

15. DRG Da Real Grinc profile image66
    DRG Da Real Grincposted 12 years ago

For those of you who want to help Joplin residents by donating money, time or blood please check out my Hub with the most up to date resources and information for residents and volunteers @

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Joplin-Missouri-Disaster

16. DRG Da Real Grinc profile image66
    DRG Da Real Grincposted 12 years ago

I just noticed that I wasn't suppose to put that link up on this post and trying to figure out how to remove it ASAP so if anyone can help me it'll be appreciated.

Let them snipe it for you.  I think it is good that you posted it.  So don't worry.  They will remove it soon enough, and send you a little warning.  But until then- keep it on.  It's free marketing.

17. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

Where I live at the moment is under tornado watch. There was one that touched down north of us, but we were lucky enough that it didn't do much damage.
    Our hearts and prayers go out to those in Joplin. There was a pipeline crew that traveled from there to here. We are still waiting to see how many of them and their families were affected. It is a sad situation.
    We are looking at more thunderstorms and rain for the next three days.

Did you see the post I left about Sedalia.  It was hit hard. Not near like Joplin, but I'd say several million dollars worth.

1. tlpoague profile image81
        tlpoagueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, my prayers go out to all of you too. We have been lucky so far. Everything has been to the east of us. I will be sure to keep everyone in thoses areas in my prayers.

18. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I'm hoping all are spared any more damage...

We're waiting for some storms to arrive in south central kentucky...
    and now are under a tornado watch..so sick of this!
    good luck everyone! wink

19. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Still watching this thread for new posts, and thinking about you folks, and others, in the affected and surrounding areas.  Watching for news from the southern states too.

20. Aficionada profile image79

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5098485_f248.jpg

This is after three days' worth of cleanup.  We (in south-central Indiana) had such a small problem compared with other locations, but it was still startling to see what even just straight-line winds can do.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5098491_f248.jpg

That red thing is a pick-up truck (not ours, btw).

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5098493_f248.jpg

This is (was?) a small municipal park.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)