If Lance Armstrong is a fake, then should he still be a hero?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Recently several of Lance Armstrong's teammates have come out and admitted that they not only took performance enhancing drugs..but they saw and KNOW that Lance took them as well.  Although there's no positive tests to support this, nor any evidence outside of circumstanstial ones to prove he's cheated.  However, what I would like to ask you all is this.  Do YOU think he's been lying and cheating about using performance and enhancing drugs?  Please state valid reasons for your opinion.  Also, if he is lying, then do you think this will hurt his legacy?  if so, then how much?  Do you think cancer victims that look up to Lance will lose hope altogether if their hero is a fraud?  Or do you think they'll get over it in time?  Should Lance be considered a hero still to cancer survivors IF he's turns out to be nothing more than a cheater?  What are your thoughts on this?

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Give me a list of the "illegal" drugs he took, then I'll give you my answer.

If that can't be done, rumor is all ya have.

Here in the US, a man (alledgedly) is innocent until he is found guilty in a court of law.

I'm a CLEAN powerlifter.

I am clean but take creatine, DHEA, androstenodione, and a few other legal testosterone precursors. I also take pure powdered carbohydrate to burn for extended energy.

If a professional athlete takes these LEGAL precursors, he'd be booted from the sport...why? Everything he took is legal! Ya can buy 'em all in yer local healthfood store!

If Lance took those...cool...! He was prepping himself for an arduous 1500 mile bicycle ride! More power to him!

Qwark

2. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

The most tested athlete on the planet? I don't think he cheated, but I know his detractors did.
    Track records speak volumes. smile

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Personally, I think these people that are coming out are either getting paid, or they're being blackmailed into claiming all this. I find it hard to believe that out of all the tests he's taken that there hasn't been a positive test to come out yet if he truly is doping like they claim he is.  Unless they want to present proof that the doctors are being paid off, then I doubt this is going to hold any water. as lance armstrong said it himself, the test results alone say everything.

Personally, I think they should just leave the man alone, as he hasn't done anything wrong.

3. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

I had cancer and I think I can survive knowing he doped a little. The man had stage 4 testicular cancer, all the way up into his brain and he was riding again within a year. I'm still barely getting back to running every day.  The dude is a badass.

1. profile image0

Wow, i'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I hope you're feeling a lot better these days. I can't imagine what it must've been like for you to have cancer, but I am glad to hear your recovering. And you're right, the guy is a badass for how he dominated the "Tour de France" seven times in a row. Even if the guy did take performance enhancing drugs, then it's still quite a feat considering how almost everyone in that sport have been caught using performance enhancers, and none of them ever dominated that sport almost 7 times in a row like he did. It's a rare feat that I doubt anyone is going to see again.

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I had cancer too, but I didn't ride in the hardest race on the planet!

The guy has big ones, has never tested positive and I reckon when you look in his eyes you can see why he won 7 times. smile

1. profile image0

Yep, I definitely can't disagree with you there.  As I said earlier, I doubt we're ever going to ever see anyone break that record of winning 7 tour de france races in a row. 

edit:  By the way, I'm sorry to hear you had cancer too.  That must've been horrible, but I hope you're feeling okay, and glad to see that it seems like you've been recovering quite nicely.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was a bit rough for a while. It took 10 years for feeling to return to my upper back, but apart from 2 years of itching deep within the graft which drove me nuts I got through it pretty well I think!

The rest has been fine. I am fit, strong and exceedingly well these days. Thanks for your interest. smile

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I don't think it matters..I've never understood why this is an issue. Athletes use performance enhancing drugs. I'd be shocked to find one that didn't. The ones you think don't simply haven't been caught.

It's little different in my mind than actors and actresses undergoing plastic surgery and saying they didn't. It's part of  staying at the top in their profession.

6. Richard83 profile image69
    Richard83posted 12 years ago

Lance just got caught. Thats all. Everyone does it. I would say 40% of athletes. The competition is so tough this age and time, so any edge is a must have.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The whole point is that he was never caught cheating.

He is the most tested athlete ever, but has never tested positive to drugs.
      He is being targeted by those who have tested positive.

7. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 8 years ago

Considering there's a movie about this guy being released fairly soon I figured it might be a good idea to resurrect this thread to see how many of you still see Lance as a hero.  smile

1. Colin Quartermain profile image88
      Colin Quartermainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have to say I never liked him when he was racing, as always mores of a Pantani fan, but have to say he has been very harshly treated.

90% of the Peloton were probably taking drugs at the time, he didn't get caught at the time, but gets caught when others who were also taking the drugs spill the beans. Those same people then get a few months ban and Armstrong gets a lifetime ban.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think because Lance Armstrong is a bigger name than those other guys that they might be using him to set an example.  Is it fair?  Not really, but what can you do?

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

He resigned all his positions and deals and as far as I know is treated like dirt these days now  the cheating is well proven.

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I'm not in favor of cheating.  But what I do have a problem with, is scapegoating.
    Some athlete or other gets called out for supposedly using performance-enhancing substances, and he's run through the ringer.
    Lance Armstrong, IF he actually did use (which has not been proven fully), is no different than probably 90% of US athletes across all sports.
    Barry Bonds was also "outed," and whether he did or did not use, why wasn't the entire team tested, or ALL the teams nationwide in all sports, for that matter?

It's apparently a practice that is largely ignored until someone with an axe to grind against a single individual stirs up a fuss, then all eyes are on that one person, while the rest remains swept under the rug.
    It should be an all-encompassing enforcement, or none at all, if they're going to have the rule in place.
    That's just my two cents worth.

10. profile image56
    SanXuaryposted 8 years ago

I quit believing he was anyone but a cheater a long time ago. The question is how many losers were doing the same thing?

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

He has actually admitted it now, so I think that constitutes proof.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)