A Bad Thought About Traffic - Suppose It Never Comes Back?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I need reassuring.

Up until a few months back I understand, maybe wrongly, HP pages got additional boost from Google.  That implies (to me) that Google wanted content farms to churn out pages so that every possible search term was covered by pages that had associated Adsense advertising.

Now Google have changed the thrust of their marketing, perhaps in reaction to Facebook and Twitter, maybe as a result of pressure from corporations.

Why would the good old times ever reappear?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When Squidoo got slapped by Google in the summer of 2007, it took two years for earnings and traffic to return to pre-slap levels. 

The question you want answered doesn't have a definitive answer, nor a clear time frame.  Personally, my take on all this is HubPages is now just as unsure and unknown as when it first started, I just happen to have a lot of content in place as opposed to four years ago when they really started and no one had anything written and had no idea of what would work or not.

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey don't be so hard on yourself Mark, as I think we're all struggling right now.  Hell, even I was down on myself for a while over this, and lack of activities in forums.  However, I'm sure things will get better soon.  You should check out some of Cheeky Girl and Sunforged's hubs, as I think they give out some useful advice on how to increase your traffic.  However, I hope your traffic improves soon, as you seem like a nice guy.

2. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

If Google is really ignorant enough to go the way of social media such as Facebook and Twitter, then it will deserve to die as Alta Vista has.

Fads come and go, but real information from search results will always be in need.

Placing search results on page 1 just because of a daily trend will lead the way for Bing or others to overtake Google!

I say, let's take down the evil Panda!!!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4956652_f248.jpg

Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Michael, and if our hubs succeed we will be regarded as SEO Knights with the pick of Damsels or Knaves, whichever you prefer.

I had one hit from Bing in the last 24 hours. This hasn't filled me with a lot of hope.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But as a percentage of overall views is that Bing view an increase, a decrease or the same compared with overall views from months ago?

Michael, I LOVE the picture!

Well the Bing view has now gone, but by using a calculator and comparing my 2 Google hits against the 1 Bing hit...

Oh, it's no good.

I am a big fat failure.

1. Aficionada profile image79
            Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Failure?  No way! - there's more than one way to measure success!

Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, not a failure at all. Love your hubs. Maybe soon Google will gets its head out of it as*.

lol, thank you. big_smile

All of  my hubs, except 2 have been hit hard the past few days. It is discouraging. That is part of the reason I have concentrated on a humorous hub. Got to have something to distract from it all.

I see you draw pics on your hubs? I take it...it is you who draws these?

Oh yes, all my own very amateur work. Started doing it because it seemed easier than trying to find one that matches the text.  Now I just recycle the same five and put different captions on.

1. Michael Willis profile image67

Hmmm, very good. I like those. Ever do any comic strip type drawing? I could envision a comic strip to a hub I have recently written.

Interesting.  No, those are the only drawings I have ever done, got some way to go before I can just do it to order.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think it will take much longer than we imagine, perhaps years.
    Personally, I think the best hope is to write very specific, niche, genre types of hubs of which there aren't millions of others writing the same stuff.
    And as others have said, to diversify.  I know for my own online searches, I'm being much more specific, or going directly to a site where I will most easily find quality information. To be honest, I'm as sick of the junk search results and all the affiliate marketers as those who are complaining. If I get a page covered with ads from which I can't even see the text, I leave immediately. I think we very much have to put ourselves in the searcher's seat and ask, is my page worth reading?

EDIT: I'm not implying that all affiliate marketers are 'bad', because they're certainly not. I don't want them all coming after me. I would read a sunforged review on adroids before making my final purchase, etc. And there are others. You know what I'm talking about, people writing junk articles, and stuffing them with high paying keywords.

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I'm going to spend more time analyzing the data later, but for now, I've come up with the following:

Bing views (reported in traffic sources) divided by total views (reported on statistics page)

ever = 3%

last 30 days = 4.7%

last 7 days = 5.5%

last 24 hours = 3.8%

See y'all later!

5. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 13 years ago

We all want traffic from Google to come back but it may never come back. The so called content farms have been getting bigger everyday and capable of running their own advertisement systems. That is a challenge and none of us in this world would want a challenge (in as much as we may keep telling you competition is healthy). Ever wondered why today, unlike in the past, you need to have a domain name of at least six months and not just a simple profile page on a content farm in order to qualify for adsense account?

Your bad thoughts are justified, but we just have to keep on praying and hope traffic will come back.

6. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 13 years ago

Just stop thinking Mewbie.  Make a choice:
    - sit and drink beer this week and worry
    - churn out some great hubs, with little re-used scribbles and realise in a year's time that it's a good job you did this because suddenly Hubs is King of the Internet again and you've enough to buy ... well, more beer for one.

smile

7. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Honestly, I would be very concerned about the future of your search engine traffic over the next five years and not because Google is shuffling the page results.

Ya'll saw the computer Watson tear up Jeopardy, right? That wasn't just a fun little robot. It is the future of search engines.  Sooner rather than later, search engines are going to be powered by that technology.

When someone types in "How do I tie my shoelaces?", they're not going to get a www.shoelacehelp.com as a result: they're going to get a well-learned computer that can explain how to loop the rabbit through the hole via an aggregate of information available from millions of sources.  There's not going to be any competition for your own info.

I think that those of us who are dedicated to making livings via our writing online might have to look for avenues that don't involve simple "how to" search results.

I saw that Jeopardy Computer. It was a stomping by the computer over those two guys.  And what you say makes very good sense.

8. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

A bad thought about traffic- suppose it never comes back.

Oh well. I guess then HP will die as a writer's platform and those who have niche markets elsewhere will have no problem. Not to mention, they won't have to worry about HP generating any sort of competition of any real value.

As for this negative thread- it's a complete waste of time to bother thinking about it, because actions should be taken to broaden one's portfolio of niche markets.

If you as an online writer(or whatever you want to call yourself) are not doing other things other places, then you can only BLAME yourself.

By the way- this will be my only post to this forum thread, because it's not worth continuing posting to it. Every additional post to this thread, just supports the negative attitude generated.

1. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear. It doesn't look like you have the approval of the highly esteemed Cagsil. I guess he is not one of your followers Mark. I think he got confused by the humour of your earliest hubs because he doesn't do humour. The good news Mark is that he has promised never to return to this thread.

2. shogan profile image77
      shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, Mark seems like a great guy, and he says outright that he needs reassuring.  He's worried, that's all.  While I understand your point, it can also be problematic to stew, so I can see why he put it out there.

9. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

It will come back eventually.

However, the lesson here is to not "put all your eggs in one basket".

There are many variables that are out of our control, including the status of Amazon using affiliates.

10. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Ewbie - stop being such a pessimist! You are a talented writer and your hubs are very funny. If HP stops working for you, then start your own blogs or sites and promote your writing there. Or e-books, or self-publishing or .... there will always be options and opportunities

My ex-boss always used to say 'there is no such thing as a problem; there is only opportunities and solutions'

1. tritrain profile image69
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a good attitude.

11. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

OK guys thanks for the nice comments.  And thanks to Cagsil as well!

I just had a little panic wave about you know what.

I'll go back to doing the jokes and just reading what SunForged and others say.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. You will keep posting. You help make HP a kinder, gentler place. smile

Aaargh. Too much.  I'm aiming for cutting edge, not some friendly prankster type.

I'm off to bed.  Before you know who comes back.

Ah, you have been spotted!!! big_smile

2. CMHypno profile image84
          CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark, have you ever thought about getting out more and not fretting so  much? After 6 pints of Stella you won't even be able to spell Panda, let alone worry about it! smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark, you're too talented. smile I definitely didn't see this as a negative thread. There's really no way of knowing when things will take an upward swing.
          I finally got an adsense click this weekend, in fact, 2. I had stopped checking because I had so few clicks this past month.
          I think Google is as confused as anyone!

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
            Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy Mark's presence very much. Always an engaging Hub to read, and in forum posts quirky (and non-intimidating) insights into people and ideas.

I used to check earnings several times a day. Now, since Panda, hardly ever until the end of the month. Why depress myself? smile

From the perspective of a Google search user, I think so, too. Finding the information I need is giving me a major headache, and it didn't used to be that way. Now, I confine my searches to News and to sites like org and edu. I'm not confused, only exasperated!

Google is not returning good information now, although good information is out there. This is a great opportunity for another search engine to do the right thing.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was not too sure how to interpret your post… No pranks or humor intended. You help and posts make HP a nice place. Period.

As for cutting edge, do not give up on that either. smile

2. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And "thanks to Cags as well". You are seriously losing it.He does not understand your stuff. He ridiculed you.

12. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

well I cannot beleive my traffic is still dropping! I am not going to die without a fight!
    I will continue to submit my hubs to other search engines and forums..and wherever I am allowed..
    this is awful for those of us who played by the rules and the Giant pulled the rug out from under our feet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)