Who is the Better Superhero, Superman or Batman?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)
  1. tHErEDpILL profile image82
    tHErEDpILLposted 12 years ago

I have to admit I love the whole Superman story and think he is a more interesting character but, as far as who is the better hero I have to go with Batman.  Here is why:

Batman has no super powers at all, yet he can stand toe to toe with any other Superhero or Super Villain.  He accomplishes this by using psychical and mental skills that he went out and took it upon himself to learn.  Without the strength and power that Superman possesses he still demands fear and respect from everyone.  I think Superman is a little scared of him also, maybe because Bats knows everyone weakness (kryptonite)and uses it when he needs to.  Whenever it seems like he is too battered and bruised to even stand on his own two feet, he always finds a way to come out on top.  And if it come down to it he will save himself AND the person who just tried to kill him.  Honorable and deadly - just like a Knight.

P.S. also lets not forget he had to save the mighty Superman's azz a couple of times.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with all your assessments, and I think superman actually agreed with you as well once in a comic book if im not mistaken.  as i seem to recall a line he said once where he said that it's easy for him to be heroic because he's indestructible.  whereas batman he's not, but he puts his life on the line anyway.  sorry, i would quote him exactly, but i forgot the exact wording of it, but it was something along those lines. 

Another thing that makes Batman a better superhero is his villains.  Don't get me wrong, superman has great villains too, but most of them aren't as iconic as Batman's villains are(not to mention severely underused in films); unless you count Lex Luthor.  Therefore, you have to go with Batman, as a hero is only as great as the villain(s) he fights.

tHErEDpILLposted 12 years agoin reply to this

great response.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like both but I've always preferred Batman. He's just more bad-ass. Besides that, the fact that he has no super powers and is just a "normal" human (an extraordinarily trained one, granted, but still a human) makes him somewhat more believable.

2. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Superman! 

Batman isn't faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Why?

1. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why what?

2. Jonathan Janco profile image61
      Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I defintely agree that Batman is impressive for the reasons the OP described, but Superman is the only "superhero" between the two described. Batman is Bruce Wayne, a rich guy with lots of gadgets and armor. He has no extraordinary powers at all. Superman's altarego Clark Kent however is also a disguise of his true identity.

3. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

Okay...you know I have to throw my two cents worth in...LOL

If a comet goes off course and is heading to Earth or Darkseid shows up, I want the Man of Steel.
    But if a mafia crime boss or the Yakuza wants me dead, give me the Dark Knight.
    Supes will do anything, including giving his own life to make sure you are safe.
    Bats will make sure the other guy gives his life to make sure you are safe.

If a group of thugs burst into your room and Superman swoops in, he'll disarm them all and say "Well they won't try that again knowing I'm here to protect you."
    If a group of thugs burst into your room and Batman swoops in, he'll disarm them all, break a couple of arms till they tell him who sent them, then go to the guy that sent them's house in the middle of the night, yank him out of bed and dangle him off a roof top and swear that if he even hears a whisper that the guy is ever gonna bother you again....

So natural disasters and Thanos level badguys...Superman.
    Crooks and other scum...Batman.

So it's all relative.

LMAO, once again your response is classic.  These forums would be nothing without you, nothing!!!

1. sabrebIade profile image80
        sabrebIadeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are too kind.
        smile

4. profile image0
    shygirl2posted 12 years ago

My sons are big on comics.  So from 'their point of view'...it appears Batman is more popular than Superman.  Well, to a comic collector anyway? Depending on which one you collect, I assume.  I think they both serve their purpose in the imaginery world of superheroes.  I always thought Superman was pretty 'hot', more so than a masked man, dressed up in black  like a bat.  We own all the movies though...so, guess it's a toss of the coin, huh?

lol, I like 'your' point of view as well as the kids.  I think It's cute that you think Superman is the 'hotter' superhero, I'm guessing you don't like the strong silent type?  Thanks for the reply.

5. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Wonder woman. 

Better...ah...pectoral development.  AND the nifty airplane is a plus.

1. profile image0

lollol Hey no fair, I thought we were narrowed down to picking between only Superman and Batman. In that case, I want to change my pick to Catwoman, as I heard she can be quite handy with that whip of hers. wink 

Or supergirl, as i always thought she was hot in comic books.  lollol  Or better yet, lets make it Batgirl.  She has all the same attributes going for her that Batman does, AND she's a lot easier on the eyes too. wink  lollol

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes but the invisible jet has an invisible lavatory - how awkward.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. seanorjohn profile image70
    seanorjohnposted 12 years ago

I used to go the pictures in London as a kid and every Saturday morning watched Batman films. I used to think he was totally inferior to superman. I loved my superman comics. Wish I had kept them. Some are worth quite a lot now.
    Hey Steven you should still give Dylan a chance and click on to the youtube link I gave. Apologies for highjacking but it is his 70th Birthday. I will prob get up to further mischief tonight promoting him.

1. profile image0

Oh okay. Thanks for the recommendation Sean, as I'll definitely check them out. smile  And no worries, I don't think anyone will mind, as I tend to notice a lot of threads get hijacked frequently anyway.  lol

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Batman...he has way cooler stuff and that dark broody personality women love!

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61

"It's the car.  Women love the car" Val Kilmer to Nicole Kidman in Batman Forever.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
        DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So true!  Not too many women can resist a man with a really cool car and if it can shoot bullets at your enemies, so much the better!

I will keep that in mind when I purchase my dream car.  It must be packing heat.  Perhaps an Aston Martin DBS with a .357 magnum under the front seat.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
            DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let's not forget a similarly equipped Batboat and Batcycle as well!  Although I think Batman has a little more finesse with weapons than to stick guns under the seat.  Maybe a Southern Batman who also has a rifle rack in the back window of the BatTruck! smile

Believe it or not when Batman was first published he did carry 2 .45 caliber pistols.

Isn't Batman's TV incarnation Leroy Jethro Gibbs?

8. uncorrectedvision profile image61
    uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years ago

Only recently has there been an effort to explore Superman's moral and ethical reasoning.  After all if one is all but indestructible and more powerful than anyone or anything a god complex is hard to avoid.  Look at how over reaching and foolish ordinary people become when they wield governmental or economic power.  Superman's power must tempt him yet he remains moral.  That is an interesting idea to explore and Superman stories occasionally do just that.

However, Batman is a classical hero type.  He is a Byronic hero.  Flawed and haunted he still seeks justice and does so while struggling with many of the same temptations as Superman but does so more openly.  Batman's story is that of Ahab and Moby Dick without the revenge.  While Superman relies heavily on physical abilities, that are more than a match for most of his enemies, Batman is always fighting an up hill battle with just his intellectual and physical abilities trained to excellence.

Batman's work ethic is the biggest difference between them.  If Batman had Superman's powers for just one day(night) what evil would not be squashed and incarcerated or removed?  Batman and Superman are both Boy Scouts.  Superman is the sunny can do guy but Batman is the one who is always prepared.

In several stories Batman shows that he is even prepared to take out Superman should the "Man of Steel's" moral compass fail.  Batman has carried a shard of kryptonite concealed in his belt.  He has a had a bullet made of kryptonite locked away in the Batcave and has had magical beings of all kinds available just in case.

Though Superman can be compelling I think you can say my favorite is Batman.  Translate this conversation to the Marvel Universe - I always liked Spiderman and Captain America more than Thor and the Hulk.

Uncorrected,

Damn good response, I think Superman has a more interesting story, but Batman is the better hero.  I agree with all of your points.

9. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

I had to post this....

http://i.imgur.com/lnhSP.jpg

Niiiice.  They are like the odd couple, Superman and Batman.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)