Why is our society such a consumer base?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. kat11 profile image60
    kat11posted 12 years ago

This morning my husband asked me why do Americans have to purchase more than they make? I did not know how to answer so maybe I can get some answers from all of you.

1. KiaKitori profile image66
      KiaKitoriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My explanation: because we (and I mean not only americans but other "over" civilized societies) have such a low sense of accomplishment that we have to overcome it somehow. So we buy stuff that give us a false feeling of fulfillment. That's my case anyway.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with that, we tend to value success in material ways. Most of us lack self discipline and moreso the economy is built that way - consumer oriented to gain more profits.

You are so right, when the self discipline is low, the consumerism virus takes over (or it is a bacteria that grows where self esteem is missing?).

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hi Kia, both I think, although there are times when I go to a mall, tend to go to the lady dress section, LOL

2. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simple we have advertising execs on 5th Avenue telling us on the television how we need the new gizmo or we are losers. We Americans are very caught up in prestige. And before the house came tumbling down there were plenty of banks willing to give you a credit card to purchase all the stuff you don't need. I don't need an Iphone. I also don't need this laptop. I definitely don't need a big ole flatscreen because there is little on TV worth watching. But Image is everything. Part of what brought down the collapse of our economy quite frankly is our vanity.

2. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking.  Are you asking why Americans purchase more than they can afford?  Or why we no longer manufacture much of what we purchase?  If it's why we seem to buy so much... well it's because we can.  If you're asking why we manufacture so little, it's because our standard of living is so high that we can't afford to pay factory workers the wages to manufacture goods and still be able to sell them at a reasonable price.  I don't completely believe that because I try to buy as many things as I can that I know are made in America, not just American brands made in China, and I don't feel like I'm being over-charged for anything.

It's not just Americans however who like to spend.  I have friends who come over from Holland every year for their "holiday" and they spend a fortune at the outlet stores on designer clothes. 

You can blame the Industrial Revolution which changed the economy from an agriculture base to a manufacturing base.  It was a turning point in history.  People moved away from the farms and into the cities where jobs were to be had in factories and mills. Populations rose, income rose, eventually leading to a true middle class where average people could afford to purchase things only dreamed of in the past.   With this basic shift from agriculture to manufacturing, there needs to be a market for the goods created.

1. zanin profile image73
      zaninposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're so right Disturbia ... And then came the  power of the media and advertising - once in place, we  purchase until we have what we don't want and probably don't need.

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, especially technology.  How many TVs does one household need?

2. KiaKitori profile image66

The Revolution is just one of the factors...It just brought you the possibility to have new things. Americans, as other nations, are now on top of the world. From this highest point there is none but one perspective: looking down, going down or stay there trying to be happy with yourself.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

perhaps we can blame that a little bit, but the fault lies in us, we lack self control and we tend to succumb to the ones you mentioned most of the time.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a double-edged sword.  I have a small interior design business which employes five people.  If nobody spends their money to buy my services, I have to lay off my employees.  It's really that simple.  We are all caught in a trap and running on a treadmill.  We can't just stop spending because if we do, we will all be out of work.  It's that very desire to have a bigger house, a better car, more of everything that makes us strive for better education to get better jobs so that we can afford those things.  Lust and greed are not always bad.  They are what drive us to always imporve and be better.  It's human nature, it's the best hunters who are able to provide the most meat ensuring the survival of the species.  So if we want more than we should have or maybe need, it's the basic drive inside us all to want a better life.

I say we go back to the farms, grow our own food, kiss technology goodbye, and live the simple life, but they already tried that back in the 60s and it didn't work.

Disturbia, there are people that have money and they can spend it on whatever they need. Doing so they contribute to a healthy economy. On the other side there are people that don't have money, but they borrow and buy anywhy, even if they don't need the thing. And that is unhealthy for them and for economy too. And they do so because they do not have the discipline, as prettydarkhorse put it, to say NO.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
          Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Often people  today send money they don’t have. Often people are better at getting what they don’t want than what they really want. Like buying this ugly lamp to go with that ugly chair and so on until you say to yourself,  my whole life is a mess.

I once was rich, yet not so happy, I re discovered the best things in life are free and found how to solve my problems gracefully by keeping it simple and staying within my means and send money that I have. When more money comes available give. Many people think things will gain them respect from respect will gain them love, or owning things will give them love

All we have in life is what we give away. Give money, you will get money, you give love you get love and so on...

4. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

It looks like pretty much all these post have focused on the problem from greed to profit.

Sadly we have created this system, who wouldn't like the next new expensive car and we need to throw out that old 6-month computer for the newer model, You mean your cell phone doesn't have these new features.

Funny once we get what we want it wasn't as important as we thought it was.

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nicely stated. At the end of the day it is just stuff !

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

it is just self control and discipline, but there are times those technologies, we like to make things faster so that we can save time so we buy those stuff, could be luxury to some depending on needs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)