Will Anyone Remember You?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (71 posts)
  1. Freeway Flyer profile image83
    Freeway Flyerposted 13 years ago

In 100 years, do you think that anyone will remember (or care about) you? Most people throughout history were basically forgotten about not long after they died. But now that we live in a digital age in which massive amounts of information are potentially being produced about (and by) us, does this increase the chance that the memory of us will stay alive? What will someday happen to all of those hubs, facebook posts, tweets, and other information that we have shared?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They might get buried under tons of other hubs, tweets and posts unless you produce something really significant.

1. camlo profile image86
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But our Hubs will have 'matured' by then.

How do you think the hubs mature? How does a new hub ranks in Google? It takes the place some other article was previously holding. Similarly, other articles will take the place of our hubs.

1. camlo profile image86

I know smile

LOL! Guess I missed the sarcasm in your previous post. big_smile

2. Haunty profile image74
            Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but the older the hub the more backlinks it's got the higher it ranks. Am I missing something?

Mate, your hub ranks by outranking someone else's. So, it is natural that some other article will take the place of your hub. And you want be there to build backlinks and organic backlinks don't come that easily unless something is written really well.

1. Haunty profile image74

I guess it's a pretty complex issue. You're hub has to be good, you have to get organic backlinks, and even if you got them there might be a better hub that's better than yours despite your better backlinked-to hub... whatever lol

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent OP!

These technologies are ubiquitous, and everyone uses them, so the amount of information is growing exponentially as well. People's attention span is short, but it is theoretically possible to make our information accessible to the few who are interested.

Today, there is no known method for making information searchable and accessible into the future, since file formats are quickly outdated. This is already a huge problem, which worries many archivists. 100 years is a very long period of time, and today's known companies and technologies will have been replaced by then.

Probably, humanity will change - with hybrids between humans and machines being created. These creatures will have longer life spans, and it will probably be possible to transfer all memory from one generation to the next. But as far as "memory," that kind of data processing may be very different from what you had in mind.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, dude!  You've one hell of a vision.  I'm thinking catastrophe, like the meteor that killed the dinosaur, but different. . . . .will take us out,  maybe before what you describe, or maybe a bit after.

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here are a couple of sources:

Why the Future Doesn't Need Us by Bill Joy, Chief Scientist at Sun Microsystems:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy_pr.html

Ray Kurzweil, who really believes in such things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Kurzweil

2. simeonvisser profile image69
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would the digital companies have been replaced by then? There are quite a few brick-and-mortar (i.e. not digital) companies out there that have been around for over a hundred years. I don't see why digital companies can't. The pace is higher and they must adapt but many are succeeding for decades already.

3. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, no  one will remember, this site and for that mater maybe even computers as we know them will not exhist. nothing will stay as is.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Here's the thing:  the internet.

My HOPES are that this blogging, or hubbing thing. . . . .has some permanence to it.  I'd LOVE for my kin folk of tomorrow, should they be interested, be able to know me from these hubs, my myspace blogs, etc, etc, etc.

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image62
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes ...

I remember, Him ... He Remembers me ... and thats all, whats Meaningful, in Being ... to a Servant.

6. Alisha Sharma profile image59
      Alisha Sharmaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Help some one who is in disaster/problem, he will never forget you till death.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
        uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

His memory of you will only last as long as he lives.

1. Alisha Sharma profile image59
          Alisha Sharmaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, but if u want yourself to be remembered then do something great for your society or country.

2. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I've never understood why people would want to be remembered after their death... Anyway, I don't think the Internet changes anything in terms of being remembered or not.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ive often wondered why worry about what's remembered? I think that if your children remeber you and pass the info, stories etc on to thier children, at some point someone may look you up on the internet, but I dont think they will find too much. Ive tried to look up stuff aobut myself from teh past, jsut to see whats there, and found nothing. And Im talking about events that happened a little over ten years ago.

You were using the net ten years ago?

1. profile image0

yeah. I got my first online setup in..umm...97, I think. But I mean..I tried to look up news stuff. They dont seem to keep articles that long. Or Im a bad searcher...

One thing I know about you is that you're an exceptionally good searcher. So I trust whatever you say. smile

1. profile image0

ha ha ha...awww..thanks.

2. Freeway Flyer profile image83
      Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Historians might find ways to use it (if any of this stuff is available somewhere.)

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

You don't want to be remembered for anything?  That's wild-I do want to be remembered, and I think most of us do.  I think it's obvious that the internet could very well change everything.. .or make our histories much more accessible than books.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Do you mean generally or just on Hubpages ,if its the latter I doubt it ,but thing is ,its not like we are gonna know anyway smile

P.S Ive noticed some hubbers have cute lil 'e''s on the bottom left of their profile pics-what does it mean ? smile

1. profile image0
      1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhhh my  !

Does that mean they get to bring the beer too lol

1. profile image0

maybe..... I know I get to bring beer anyway, with or without the E.

Dats cuz you is E-xclusively E-xciting !

1. profile image0

hehee.  Love the new pic!!

Aww tanks berry much .

4. profile image0
    Jasmine JellyBabyposted 13 years ago

I don't think the world will get another hundred years..

It's ending on December 21st 2012 so yeah my hubs will still there, but they'll probably fizzle out on the stairway to heaven or the highway to hell tongue

Ending 2012 ? Again
      Well no-one emailed me so Im stayin  put,besides someones gotta mow the grass :0

1. profile image0

the world has ended so many times, Im over it.  smile

1. Freeway Flyer profile image83

You just missed it. This world is actually a different place than the last 14 that already ended.

2. profile image0
        Jasmine JellyBabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh now its not being emailed.. they're using chinese whispers so now that I've told you, you gotta tell someone else! big_smile

3. Haunty profile image74

Where have you been in the last 2 years? lol wink

Do your Christmas shopping early.

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3946228_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

AWESOME!!!!

2. camlo profile image86

Incredible. It's not real, is it?

1. profile image0
        Jasmine JellyBabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's freaking cool

It's that cool. And it's real. Trust me. lol

1. camlo profile image86

You mean, somebody died?

1. profile image0

For some reason that question strikes me as funny. I KNOW its not funny someone died, but...anyway...

It's not your fault, cuz it's funny. No one died, we're all just being silly. smile

1. profile image0

you guys suck!!!!!! (not really) when I was a kid I looked up gulliable to prove to my dad it really was in the dicitionary...

It made me laugh! lol

1. profile image0

hahahahahaa. yay!!

2. timorous profile image81
            timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes...it took 7 unemployed monkeys (2 of them with hammers and chisels) 3 hours to create this masterpiece.  It wouldn't have taken so long, but for the fact that the other five monkeys were foremen..jumping around shrieking and laughing the whole time.  One of them actually had learned a passable English, which is why it turned out so well. lol

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Dunno but its freaky to me ,must be the season ..boo!

1. profile image0

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/06June/PublishingImages/468_AD0F6B_scared_188x156.jpg

4. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

As a result of police records moving from a paper-based storage system to an electronic one, I am confident that I will be remembered long after my passing

lolol, ain't you that bad?

2. profile image0

no really, you wont.  wink

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

even should said records be erased, I am confident that the extensive alcohol currently flowing in my system will act as a 'pickling' agent, and preserve my body for the future civilizations of evolved ape-like societies to dissect.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z4P65AjnSIg/TB6MKQoEVHI/AAAAAAAADoQ/VYGYD-HITSs/s1600/planet.jpg

1. profile image0

I once knew a guy who was named Pickle.

They will make statues of you.

do you mean they will use my body to make statues FROM (as building material),
              or that they will copy my likeness?

1. profile image0

I suppose it depends on hard you are, they could make a mold, or just copy you.  Wich do you prefer?

the last time i commented on how hard i was I got kicked off of a dating site

1. profile image0

oh well. You cant make everybody happy.

5. MJ Wadsworth profile image61
      MJ Wadsworthposted 13 years ago

I'd like to think so. My intention is to go out in a blaze of glory. In all probability I'll go out with about as much glory as a dud firework. But a guys gotta dream. Whiles away the grey areas, like work, bathroom visits and cleaning the apartment.

6. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

It would be vanity indeed to be expected to be remembered by a great many people 100 years after one's death.  But the chances are your descendants will want to check who you are and what you did.  Gynealogy is gaining in momentum as it gets easier to check into the past. 

To engender the probability that at least your children, grandchildren and, perhaps even great grandchildren will want to know about you, my advice would be 'write your autobiography.'   I have.  You can then place it on computer.  Or, like I've done, have some cheap printing done so that you can hand each of your kids a copy as a present.   When they're young, it won't mean much; might not even be read - at that time - but down the track, when they're older, they'll be so glad that you did.

Hand your descendants a copy of your autobiography. Ha ha ha ha ha ah ah aha ha aha ah aha ah ah ah ah ah ha ha ha ha han  ahna han ah anh ahh ahn ahn ahh ah ahn ahnahhh ahh ah han ah ahahahahahah ha ah ah ah ahhhh ha hh a... big_smile

I'm sort of writing it in little pieces. Maybe someday I can organize it in some rational way.

7. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 13 years ago

Unless you are famous or are a political leader, future historians will most likely disregard your existence. The best way to preserve your personal exploits for posterity is to create some sort of record of you and your life. Give one of these records to each of your children, who can in turn pass the record down for many generations. Hundreds of years from now, your descendents will keep the memory of your life alive. Even if only a handful of people are the ones who care about it, it's better than nothing.

8. Spirit Whisperer profile image73
      Spirit Whispererposted 12 years ago

You exist in your own mind. Even your body comes from mind. The world you imagine is real is a construct of mind. Yes, you will be remembered...by your mind!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)