How Ignorant Are We?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (126 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

This is a question for the died in the wool, 'there is absolutely nothing more, end of story' bunch. You have a firm belief that science has negated every reason to question the possibility of the spiritual.

We have no concrete evidence for, or against, the belief in an afterlife. Which you claim means, definitively, that there is none.

My question is; since 95-96% of the universe is described as 'dark' by science, how do you consider your belief to be an open-minded and logical conclusion?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No reasoning do it.
      Before you can be against something, first you must prove it exists in the first place. See how reasoning works.
      No reason,  states that there is no greater likelihood of an afterlife than pink unicorns. Not to mention, having a belief in an afterlife, means they don't actually value this life they are living, because all their actions are selfishness and based on the reward of said afterlife. Thus, they lack character and understanding.
      Keeping an open-mind does not including keeping it open to nonsense or things that are not needed. To do so, only damages one's life. wink

Edit: Everyone is ignorant in some capacity. No one if perfect.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly what I am talking about, to some degree. You consider it unreasonable to postulate the possibility. But your statement is opposed to the actions involved in reason.

Without complete information available you can't expostulate so vehemently, unless willing to take your conclusions on faith.

"I don't think so" is the closest we can come to a  reasonable negative statement at this point; if all of the anecdotal evidence is determined to be unreliable.

1. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why do you post using so many words you clearly do not know the correct meaning and use of ?  It is just like reading the religious threads from the fundies, full of thee thou and thine.

The unknown is the unknown so there is little to say about it except that we know it is there - this was worked out long ago and in Chinese writings from around 3000 years ago.

1. profile image0

Tell me, oh wise and considerate swami. What words do I not understand? Many things have been unknown across the years. Had we not gone in search of answers we would be much less enlightened than we are today.

I assume, by your statement, we should bow to the thought police and question nothing. Sorry, no can do.

I see you have obtained your died in the wool opinion from a 3000 year old source.  I find it helpful to glean information from more up to date sources also.

Going in search of answers requires that you can ask the questions - posing questions that have already been answerd more than satisfactorily thousands of years ago becasue you don't like the answers is a pointless occupation suited only to a pre-determined agenda that is trying to pseudo-prove that the weirdo stuff you believe has any basis in reality.

Muddling up the wording you use is just to muddy the water of your questions and answers, or represents your thinking.

I am not a swami, I am an English teacher and so qualified to comment on your wording.

How you fathom that I am suggesting that you bow to anyone and stop questioning I don't know - however you do need to go back to school to get the basics before you try higher levels.

1. profile image0

Your opinion that questions have been answered satisfactorily is an opinion. Not one that must be automatically agreed upon by others.  Attempting to pretend otherwise does not change the facts.

Why you might attempt to insult the level of education, or intelligence, of someone you are in disagreement with is another conversation entirely.

I did not insult your intelligence, just your level of education.  You clearly bypass basic facts, well proven theories, more than well answered questions, uncountable previous discussions about the points you try go back over that have been clearly answered by many others to the satisfaction of pretty much everyone.

You seem to be an atypical example of religious types with a 'belief' that they are trying pseudo-prove retrospectively.  If I am wrong about this then I apologise.

1. profile image0

Apology accepted.

2. Cagsil profile image70

It is unreasonable to postulate the possibility? What possibility?
          Emile, it isn't opposing actions involved in reason. The possibility of a god existing is non-existent. It's people's refusal to understand that, because they have convinced themselves that they "need" a god for some irrational reason.
          Without complete information available? You must think there isn't enough information available to rule anything out? Ironic. But, not surprising.
          Evidence is determined to be unreliable? Oh really? And, what evidence is so important that it has been unreliable? Please do tell? It appears as if they only thing YOU are doing is distorting what is already known. That's all.

2. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Science shouldn't be adversarial to spirituality. Religion is a different bag. Religion isn't necessarily relative to spirituality. Spirituality isn't bound to organized religion. It generals no crusades, no jihads, spiritualty is a feeling, and not one where you gom about trying to browbeat others into your way. No ridicule, for that shows disrespect. Tried to demonstrate that. Geuss you don't get what you don't want to. A dictionary would help, and just because you THINK you know what a word means, doesn't mean you do. Also, when one offers data which is known, accepted, scientifically arrived at, don't ignore it just because of your preconceived ideas about what YOU believe the person offering the data is all about. Keep in mind Sir Newton was also a delusional christian mystic. And Nostradamus was also a medico during the black plague who was credited for developing lines of thought no one else was considering to battle the disease.

2. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Emile:

Haven't you considered that only the abjectly "ignorant" would conclude that science has "Absolutely" negated the "possibility" of the supernatural?

Haven't you considered that most of humanity is "ignorant?"

Haven't you figured out yet that about 35-40 of extant humanity is illiterate?

WE humans are still babies in the crib!

We are still searching, experiencing and learning.

WE ARE an "ignorant lot!

Qwark

1. profile image0

What's that line from the old movie? "We may be ignorant, but we ain't stupid."

We have ability to learn about anything we have the means to explore. But, if we ignore the possibility, we've lost the means.

Good to know you're still searching and learning.

1. qwark profile image61

Emile:

I, the forever pessimist, will be "searching and learning" Until I "pass."

The possibility doesn't exist that within the next 50-100 yrs, life will get better for man.

We are on a downhill slide and gaining speed. Who knows what awaits us at the bottom of the hill?

Most likely a catastrophe.

Qwark

Hey Qwark, you forgot to lead with "I'm a pessimist". lol lol

1. qwark profile image61

OK! Ok! Cags...I added it.
              The "forever pessimist" hopes yer happy and that ya have a great week, altho it may turn out horrible....arghhhh  smile:

QWark

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
                Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

QWark

Although, I think you are getting better.

1. qwark profile image61

Castle:
                  How could I get any  more "wonderfuler?"   lol Is that a word? Hell no!  lol
                  Qwark

Endless school teacher

2. profile image0

A catastrophe? I envision a party with streamers. And those little whistles that roll out when you blow them.

Cheer up qwark. We've survived this long. We'll come up with answers before we annihilate ourselves. We always have.

1. qwark profile image61

Emile:
              Ya "forever optimist:  smile:
              No doubt we'll come up with answers, but, as usual, they'll be the wrong answers.
              WE are headed for   cat-ass-trophy!  sad):
              Qwark

1. Druid Dude profile image61

For once, I have to agree w/ qwark. We have never come up with answers that didn't contribute to the overall problem...us. No great project to shoot asteroids out of the sky, no way to prevent hurricanes and tornadoes, no magical science to cork an erupting volcano, calm an earthquake or stop a tsunami. As always, we only invented the things which made our stay more comfy and fun. We don't even have a good way of leaving, and no where to go if we did. But, cheer up, nothings over until it's ALL over. AND: At this point, praying wouldn't hurt.

1. qwark profile image61

WEll! Ty Druid!
                  I'm not gonna pray or cross my fingers 'cause I'm not religious or superstitious.
                  Even "hope" will do no good.
                  Were on a sled headin' downhill and the incline is gettin' steeper!
                  If I'm alive when it happens, I hope there'll be enuf time to drop my head 'tween my legs and kiss my arse 'gbye! sad

Qwark

My woodcraft is damn good. I can hunt and fish, forage and scavenge. I know how to track and trap. Provided I'm not already in the hereafter. Not superstitious either pally boy. When you think, you pray. It kinda works that way. Think of it as ESP, or like a communicator in your brain. It's the way we're wired. Best computer ever made.

3. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you do search for something, and you do not find it, wont you not then conclude you are searching in the wrong places?

Why Instead you conclude that that thing  is not....?
      Or again, It is impossible to find....?

Science religion are always searching in the wrong places therefore they do not find ...and whenever  they do find they inevitably report falsely...

This is because they are ignorant from beginning......

I say ignorance belongs to all who believe themselves to be of such....not because it is actually so but because they have made themselves so.

I am knowledge, and all things are clearly seen...

1. Spirit Whisperer profile image73
        Spirit Whispererposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very nicely put and I am interested in the reaction your comment receives here if any.

4. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not a belief, it's an understanding. The only way the spiritual could exist is if there was some force that over-ride the physical laws of our universe.

Okay, then we need to make sure we give the very same validity of conclusion to every single belief ever conceived, including Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, to Thor and to Zeus, to leprechauns and unicorns, etc.

Not sure what you mean by that, are you referring to dark matter and dark energy? These would simply be forms of matter and energy that do not violate physical laws. I'm not really sure if you're trying to make a relevant connection between forms of matter and energy to that of the spiritual claimed by believers. smile

1. profile image0

You are right.  That which we understand negates anything spiritual.  But, I don’t have any idea what ‘spiritual’ means to you.  I would think it would make a huge difference in what is considered possible and what is not.  I wouldn’t imagine ethereal beings interacting in our world possible.

I didn’t really ask the question so I could expound on what I may or may not think.  It’s a simple question about the level of knowledge we think we possess, as opposed to what we honestly do.

And Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Thor and Zeus?  I wasn’t talking about gods, or other beings.  Why does everyone assume god when someone says spiritual? I would, of course, say no to the god concept, but I’d still be speculating.

The only thing I am saying about dark matter and dark energy is the obvious.  It is a huge part of our world that we hardly know anything about yet.  I don’t think I’m trying to see a connection.  It would be an odd one, don’t you think? 

All I’m saying is that we are still so ignorant, why would we feel the need to claim ultimate knowledge that we don’t possess?

1. Beelzedad profile image58

It means 'imaginary' as far as reality is concerned. I can only go on what believers claim are spiritual.

If they did, we would be able to detect them and know of their existence.

So far, what we do know, which is considerable, agrees and compliments each other, physically and mathematically.

It's just that they are all of the same category, invisible and undetectable, myth and superstition. 

We know that it is just matter and energy that does not emit or reflect electromagnetic radiation. That's why we can't "see" it.

We don't claim ultimate knowledge, but we do know when something that is claimed violates all of the knowledge we have, yet the claim has no evidence whatsoever to support itself or the violation. smile

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
            ceciliabeltranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

geez...pun intended.

2. profile image0

I don't understand how you could think 4% is considerable. And I think 4% gives us way too much credit at this stage of the game. We're sitting on one tiny little plant, in an entire universe. As this point,  I would think very little could be written in stone. I simply wonder why we're in such a hurry to wield the chisel.

Where did you get than number?

The universe is homogeneous and isotropic, so it stands to reason that whatever physical laws we discover in our part of the universe will be the same in every other part.

Black holes being the one exception. smile

1. profile image0

I agree with you that it would only make sense to assume the physical laws we discover here would apply universally.  I don't think you quite understand my point, and that's OK.  I'm not that good at explaining myself. 

So, let me ask you.  How much do you think we understand of it all?  What percentage is left to figure out? Do you honestly believe black holes are the one and only exception?  You think we've seen it all?

It would appear that you were trying to say that we only understand 4% of what there is to understand, which is why I questioned that number.

We understand a great deal. So far, we still need to figure out a quantum theory of gravity (graviton), which should help with an understanding of the nature of matter. We are also looking for a Boson (Higgs) that would help complete the Standard Model.

Other than those, there really isn't much more to figure out.

Black holes appear to be the only exception to the laws of nature, however a quantum theory of gravity could solve that mystery.

Black holes only have a couple of properties; mass, charge and angular momentum. All other properties of matter and energy have been squished out of existence by the intense gravity. smile

1. profile image0

Wow. You and I are so not on the same page. No wonder you had no idea what I was saying. You do realize until we can get up close and personal the universe remains a mystery? What you've covered in your post wouldn't even count as the tip of the ice berg.

Don't get me wrong. We've made tremendous strides; but no. We are nowhere near the end of discovery. There're wonders past your stated horizons that are most likely beyond our ability to imagine at this point

5. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have always been curious of something...IF a person believes that when they die they will go to a place of eternal peace, happiness and paradise...Why is it we are so obsessed with living this human life for as long as humanly possible? Why do we fear death? Why do we mourn death? Why do we fear aging? Are we afraid that we might be wrong?

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well if you look at a dead person, it sort of says it all. I saw dead animals everyday as a kid. Come back later and it has been recycled by hundreds of other life forms. It always seemed natural to me, and logical too.

You are reading a post written by worm food. (me) smile

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

Happy worm food I might add. smile

2. profile image0

Yeh. I'd assume anyone who thought they were headed to a heavenly golf course would be chomping at the bit to get there.

But, who wouldn't know that their assumptions could be wrong? It's all speculation. I personally don't think there's heaven in any manner described by religion; but I believe in eternal consciousness of some sort. Whether it involves an individual aspect, or we become one with the whole is what I wonder about.

The point of the OP was simply that we are all wondering. There's no information available to  support or negate any thought by anyone on the subject.

It fascinates me that there are those who stand staunchly behind their opinion, and declare others ignorant for not agreeing with them. Declaring anything fact, to me, is the definition of ignorant when it comes to this question.

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"It fascinates me that there are those who stand staunchly behind their opinion, and declare others ignorant for not agreeing with them. Declaring anything fact, to me, is the definition of ignorant when it comes to this question."
          Works both ways!

1. profile image0

Yes. It does. I think the far left atheists took it personally, without reflecting. Religionists to the right are just as likely to draw a line in the sand; as if they actually know something.

I say, we're all ignorant. Keeping that in mind while we're talking it out might lead to a little knowledge for all of us.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image77

Agreed!

3. Druid Dude profile image61

Sure, nothing worse than showing up at a party and you weren't invited. I hear the place has a HUGE gate. Crash proof. Lotsa security. Lil angels flyin' around with bows and arrows.

6. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because you miss the boat the boat of knowing about the afterlife,don't mean that everyone did.It is a personal experience.Everyone is not ignorant of life.

1. profile image0

A belief system does not equate to knowledge. You have no proof, therefore it is your hope. Your dream. Your opinion. Your faith. To state it as fact steps outside of the bounds of reality. It's difficult to take seriously.

Even after all those cool Star Trek movies and series. They were written so that people could envision the impossible, and, ahem "Make it so, #1" and Star Wars? Well, scratch star wars. Not even a christian could believe that. Ever read the entire "Dune" series? Chock full of religiousness and messiahs. My fav, though, is "Battlestar Galactica" with the ragtag survivors of the Cylon invasion looking for a legendary home...EARTH!!! Science fiction has a way of coming true. ODD. That is counter-intuitive. Some writers are downright uncanny.

1. profile image0

I loved Dune. And I've got my own radical opinions on what the ultimate reality is. I think they probably mirror yours in some ways, others not. But, even you have to admit these are our dreams. Built up by our take on what we've seen and heard; what we've read. How we've processed the information we've gained access to.

I don't have any proof to offer to support my opinion. I honestly don't believe anyone does. Do you?

2. Apostle Jack profile image60

Everyone is not suppose to believe nor except the truth.
          I don't have to prove to you that i am who i am in order to be who i am.
          It is as it was predestine to be.

1. profile image0

One day, and I hope I'm  still alive to see it, someone is going to invent a truth-o-meter and all of the people who 'know' so much about this impossible question are going to have to admit the truth. You don't know. And the rest of us might get an inkling as to why you all felt the need to pretend.

1. Apostle Jack profile image60

You make yourself look bad telling me I don't know with the little knowledge that you have.You only have a speck,and children have more than that.

1. profile image0

Actually, my imagination is as fertile as any child I know. I do know the difference between imagination and reality. I respect your intelligence enough to think you do too.

When you learn to respect your elders, especially  me ,you will be a lot better off.

1. profile image0

I don't know that you have ever shared your age. Nor have I. What makes you think I'm not ancient?

2. recommend1 profile image60

If you wrote in English you might be able to read it

If you opened your mind you might understand that nobody knows the unknown,this is not a difficult concept. 

If you think that being old should naturally get you respect you have been waiting a long ignorant life for nothing. 

If you think the arrogance of claiming yourself as an apostle is not duly noted then you are blind to your own failings.

I have been where you got to go you have a child's knowledge,you don't even know what you are saying,so don't expect others to.Spirituality is the key.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Science doesn't negate things, it just fails to support them.  the rest is a matter of temperament.  And any conclusion is a form of closing of the mind, whether religious, atheist or gnome-worshiping anarcho-veganism.  Vive la difference.

1. profile image0

Oui. I couldn't agree more.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nor could I, actually - psycheskinner's original response was BEAutiful!!!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or its a matter of asking this question perhaps.

Would there be any Science to discuss if someone didnt first create it.

If no Creator is acknowledged ,then it exists regardless of what anyone thinks.

My brain tells me my first statement makes more logical sense.

Then, who created flying purple dragons? We can discuss them, too.

You mean, regardless of their religious indoctrination, your statement does not include thinking.

smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Dragons sure He made them all smile

I like the seven headed horny red dragon, he is the most popular one of all, and too many people are afraid to ask about him.

2. profile image0

Your brain may be as right as the next person's. Sometimes I wonder if alternate realities don't somehow overlap in a way we can't detect, and we're right in the reality we're ultimately grounded in. Just a giant spirograph  of infinite realities overlapping and growing; and wreaking increasing havoc.

I'll say it for you. I'm certifiable at times. I just like to find scenarios where everyone wins.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73

lol Oh you sound like you have both feet on the ground and a delightfully  well developed sense of humour smile

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Everyones opinions are valid until a vote is taken.

We just have to consider our location before we call or a vote.  Just kidding,  sorta?   Not!

1. profile image0

I'm not at all certain I understood that.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure that you do/will

I've been spunky enough for one day.

Was 99 degrees today,  three hours after sundown it is still 84 degrees out  (9:06 PM)    going to grab a cold beer and go sit in tha COLD  spa   (80 degrees)  then probably lay on he couch and go to sleep.

4. Julie2 profile image61
    Julie2posted 12 years ago

I don't consider myself ignorant, I just have my own opinion. I keep that opinion to myself because others may view it as ignorant! lol
    AHHHHHHH

1. profile image0

That is your choice. The only ignorance involved in a conversation on the unknown is assuming another person more ignorant than oneself, in regards to the question. It's a level playing field, for the most part.

5. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I am old enough to know that I know less than nothing, but I enjoy learning new things every day.

Even the greatest minds on earth were the same. Ignorant of whatever they did not yet know.

The secret to enjoying learning is to be able to change what you believe in the light of better information. smile

I know, the more I learn, the more I learn how little I know

Emile
      Since 95-96% of the universe is described as 'dark' by science,
      I would update that to 99% unknown because human know less than 1% mass about the surface of the earth, like the skin of an apple.

Imagine how many people think that the  other 99% mass underneath us on earth is hell,

How Ignorant Are We

1. profile image0

I didn't realize some still believed the core of the earth to be hell. I always thought hell was here on the top side.  But, you are correct. Probably greater than 99% is still unknown. The more we learn, the more we realize there is so much more to understand.

2. qwark profile image61

Amen Earn!
      Wasn't it Aristotle who said: (paraphrase) ...the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know?
      That sure has been my experience.
      Qwark  smile:

It was one of those smart dudes, I don't recall which one. smile

It is very true though. smile

1. qwark profile image61

Yep!
          I'm gonna hit-the-sac. It's midnite...time to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
          g'nite all  smile:
          Qwark

Sleep well Qwark, I enjoyed our exchanges. smile

1. qwark profile image61

Ditto....smile:

Qwark

3. profile image0

It would be nice to stumble across some better information on this question. Wait and see, seems to be the only option.

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I am not speaking of a god. Where did you get that? Step back and read the OP.  This has nothing to do with gods. I'm not certain I beleive in anything at all, although I am pulled toward the concept of man having some type of spirit. 

But, the OP has to do with accepting the simple fact that to make a claim, either way, is a faith based move. How could anyone claim to be in possession of enough information to have an answer?

If you're not talking about "religion" or religion's "philosophy" and/or "god", then WHY did you put this into the "religion and philosophy" category?

Or did you not know- Hubpages does in fact have a "philosophy" category, under education and science? If you didn't know, well then, you now do.
      Pulled toward the "concept" of man having a spirit?

Did you reach that belief on your own? If anything, you misunderstand human consciousness and attributing it to be something mystical, which it isn't.
      I guess this statement proves you don't understand your own life, much less grasp a bigger picture other than self. Thank you for showing that. It will help in further communications.
      Because, sane people don't disregard rationality for irrationality.

1. profile image0

Philosophy cagsil.  Look up the word.  While you are at it, take a journey into the R's and look up religion.  No gods required for all definitions of religion. Soooooo, it appears it can be here in this section.  If you have a problem, please contact Hub Pages.  If they agree with you I'm sure they'll move the thread.

I'm becoming more impressed with the level of your knowledge by the minute.  You understand everything to do with human consciousness?  lol

As to reaching beliefs.  None of us are an island.  We come to our beliefs and conclusions by what we read and what we think.  Again, I will state that we don't have enough information to form a conclusion, either way.  Hence, I am drawn toward, not inclined to believe.  I don't remember who said it, but 'A reasonable man can hold a thought, without accepting it as truth.'

2. Druid Dude profile image61

Cag obviously isn't black, or Eric Clapton. Wouldn't know soul if it jumped out of him and ran away. BUT believes in love. Not unconditional, of course. Got lotsa conditions evidently. I think he's confusing lust for love. Honest mistake. Wait til his old lady is really an old lady. Cut the soul from us, and all that remains is an empty shell. Poison the soul and you get Charlie Manson

Sorry, you shouldn't listen to me...I'm a mystic. Ask Cag.

Very few people in the history of the world have been pro claim a Mystic.

If you’re a true mystic, I have thousands of questions to ask you

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Just one  post here tonite , Yes ! How ignorant are we?  The truth is we are not so ignorant as we are  creatures of ignorant habits ,  I would never offend anyone here , but man!  You people sure like to dress up and go out for an argument, don't you, Sort of reminds me of a dog chasing his tail, and don't give me that  "I have a right to question reality ,don't I? Crap. Have a good night all.

ahorseback

This thread has asked for our human down sides, our ignorant.

Please now, enlighten us now with our human upsides?

Or write a thread on how enlighten human are or something to that effect.

2. recommend1 profile image60

If an ignorant person posts ignorant nonsense under the title how ignorant are we  -  what else would you expect  ????   big_smile

1. profile image0

Just looking for ignorant opinions. Seems I found a few.  Thanks for playing. smile

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

recommend1 and Emile

Come on you guys you no better or worst than the next guy, that includes me too.

1. profile image0

I agree completely. I do, however, have a tendency to pick at know it alls. Bad habit, but it entertains me.

This is not to imply you're a know it all. You seem down to earth about everything.

Don't butter me up too much, I may not able to live up to it,

1. profile image0

That's ok. Variety is the spice of life. You'd be bored if you were always easy going and down to earth. Occasional bouts of inflexibility are required to maintain your sanity and keep everyone else on their toes.

8. earnestshub profile image81

How ignorant are we?
    Read these threads and see. smile

Ignorant by choice is almost a default. smile

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77

And you are being nice with your observation here...I just sit and shake my head sometimes at how stubborn some are, when it comes to learning something new. And others are so far gone, I don't even bother posting my thoughts, opinions or things I have learned.

9. earnestshub profile image81

I'm beginning to think one of our god botherers is having a lend of us here.
    smile
    Too far out to be in. smile

10. DoubleScorpion profile image77
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

If you would like to learn alot about how certain christians act and are blinded by what they think they know....Enroll in a College Introductory Course on OT or NT like the link I posted. And see how others discuss and interact within the class...You learn so much more than just what the class teaches...

I completed a course in bible studies in the Hebrew Greek and English languages. It was intense, but informative. smile

At the time I was a card carrying fully blown holier-than-thou born again lunatic who was as indoctrinated as many here still are. I eventual disentangled myself and got a real education.

In the meantime, my indoctrinator absconded (along with the church minister) with the best part of a million dollars from the funds collected to build a senior citizen's residence.
      True story. smile

Ouch...I am working on completing a Masters in Religion (Have a Doctorate in Biblical studies). And maybe it is because I am taking classes at a Catholic College...but these students like to argue with the professor ( A PHD as well) and tell him he is wrong with what he is teaching, because it doesn't align with their faith...

I enjoy learning about religion in general...All types...Facinating.

I also enjoyed learning about religion. Not as much as unlearning it though.

We had debates with all the other church leaders at monthly meetings when I was a member of CBMC (Christian businessman's Committee.) which was informative.

We even got to see the dead sea scrolls through the director of the Institute of archaeology Clifford Wilson who was also a member.

Getting out of religion takes a lot of guts. I was pressured, even in my business by religious fanatics who seemed to come out of the woodwork to halt my progress.
          It is like stepping out in the fresh air to leave indoctrination behind. smile

Oh I am not religious in the sense that most define it. I am definately not Christian. I have my own take on things. And there are those who enjoy listening to me talk about my thoughts...We support our community, Volunteer, and assist those in need and we all have Normal Jobs...We do "church" without the money. Matter of fact...I pay for just about everything myself...Or on occasion if we have a "bill" everyone chips in what they can to pay it off.

I have worked with the homeless within the church. Funny how the one's who care never mentioned their religion to me. smile

In my city there are a lot of non-believers who offer to help others, it's not a religious thing it's a people thing. smile

We are agreed in these matters smile

Cool! smile

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

earnestshub it takes a huge heart to be effective with the homeless

The city of Vancouver has this end homeless network.  I built a paper Crete tiny home design for the homeless project as my proposal, Too bad the hard legalistic out weight the health of the homeless people.

Now, I had to switch to a greenie home project in the outback.
                Still trying

Good for you! I believe that helping others is one hell of a task in a world bogged down by regulations.

I'm proud to have met you.

A home is all they need, but then it has to cost half a million so it doesn't upset town planning.
                  I say worry about town planning later, getting a roof over their heads should be priority one. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image58

Yes, we got serious problems here, don't we.

Strange though, I just read an article in the Georgia Straight talking about how we pay the highest prices in North America for liquor because of all the government taxes and fees. In fact, it showed how a $5 bottle of wine costs us $12.

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)