Alien sighting

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (87 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

From Alexander the Great to Thomas Jefferson, many people have reported seeing Ufo's and spacecraft.  So why do we still find it so hard to believe it for ourselves?

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do we?  smile

2. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Alexander the Great even met an Egyptian king when he enter a pyramid-that is why he is great.

3. profile image50
      DreamCarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did Alexander the Great really see UFO?
      That's really great. And this means the aliens were so advanced at that time also. But we, humans, are developing very slowly on earth.

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tens of thousands of professional and amateur astronomers sit outside night after night viewing the night sky. None have ever reported seeing aliens waving out their spacecraft windows or anything remotely similar.

Of course, the vast majority of those believers ignore the concept of space travel and the problems associated with all the hazards and barriers surrounding it. They simply believe that there are advanced beings that can build ships and travel anywhere in the universe. It's really quite hilarious. smile

IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you think that in this vast place, humans are the only intelligent life?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is entirely possible.

Highly unlikely....

There is absolutely no way to know how unlikely.  The universe is big, but life may be extremely rare.  Thus it may be unique.

We don't know.

I see your point.  However i think it is terribly naive or extremely arrogant to think that we humans are it in the universe.

2. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you don't know is that Beely is from planet Coruscant. They are quite attractive, but very argumentative. wink

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Thanks, you're pretty cute yourself... your arguments, too. smile

1. profile image0
              klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wink

3. Beelzedad profile image59

I didn't say that. But, to be intelligent is to understand the problems of space travel, especially the ones that would kill any biological life forms making that attempt. The high energy radiation permeating open space would do such a thing, and there is little if anything to avert it, other than making a spaceship the size of a small moon and covering it with miles of regolith.

Then, you would need to propel such an object through space in terms of light years distances. The energy required to do such a thing would demand the ship be even bigger in order to carry the necessary engines and fuel to do it.

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Listen Intimat, between you and me here... It has come to my attention that some of the most popular hubbers are not exactly 'humans'... keep it hushed, but I, I... I DO BELIEVE!

3. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

Last summer, I saw a UFO in broad daylight.  It was oval in shape and seemed to reflect the sun, because the light from it was brilliant.  I only saw it for a few seconds before it vanished.  It did not move away, it simply blinked out of existence.  I could hardly believe what I was seeing.  However, I do not believe in visitors from other planets visiting ours.  I think the government probably has advanced aircraft of which we know nothing.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68

lollollol

5. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I wonder why the military works so hard at covering up alien sightings?  Some alien sighting reports are very intriguing, don't you think?

1. Victoria Stephens profile image75
      Victoria Stephensposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the military works so hard to cover up alien sightings because it looks bad on us if we are openly telling other countries that we don't have controll over our own air space.  This would give our so called enemies a possible advantage over us.
      Plus it may cause panic of the people and they wouldn't want that and lastly it may even cause people to question their religon which effectively and stupidly would cause mass war.

That is a great point of view, which makes good sense.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Good answer.  Didn't think about looking at it as a safety issue.  But it does make perfect sense.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Lots of people think your waist band should be at crotch level too, doesn't mean it's true.

1. profile image0
      Muldanianmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A waist, I can just about remember what one of those was.

So you don't believe in alien sightings?  Do you think that the human race is the only one of its kind in the Universe?

I think the truth is not a democracy. People see stuff, I have no idea what that stuff really is, and absolutely no idea if there is other life in the universe.  If there is and it's main hobby is buzzing Moscow and anally probing the denizens of Texas then God help us all.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pray that you are never a probee - it is a most unpleasant experience.  All those little green things with big eyes staring at you and probing for all they're worth.  Ugh!

1. shogan profile image77
            shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The worst part is the few minutes afterwards, when no one knows what to say.

Yes.  All they ever want is to smoke afterwards! lol

I hate it when the tall gray ones make up excuses to leave right after they're done.  They have to get up early the next day, or they just remembered they left the stove on.

Exactly!  You always get the feeling that you're just one in a long string and they can't wait to get to the next one - that you really meant nothing to them.  Just a little time, a little talk, would go a long way towards making a happy probing session.

Try cuddling one of them.  They want no part of it.

7. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I think out of the possible billions and billions of planets in the universe that the statistical chance of there being other life forms is almost certain.  However, as was said in Star Trek, "It's life, but not as we know it."  However, the distances involved in the universe and the possibility that any species has developed enough to be able to cross these distances is so unlikely as to be almost impossible.  Whilst there may be life out there, I doubt we will ever know of it and they will never know of us.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Drake equation is more of a statistical game than a description of reality.  The conditions necessary for life are more complicated than running the numbers.  It is also so much more complex than just the presence of liquid water.

We still live in Einstein's universe. The amount of energy necessary for interstellar or inter-dimensional travel are immense.  As for UFOs, I am a skeptic.  I am not a cynic.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable when dealing with terrestrial matters.  Why would it be suddenly reliable when dealing with the potentially, extra-terrestrial?

2. mathsciguy profile image61
      mathsciguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you here, Muldanianman.  I think that, in my unpolished and lay opinion, life is possibly out there that we don't know yet.  However, I draw a distinction between life and INTELLIGENT life as would be required to fly around in spacecraft and make appearances all over the place.  Consider all the forms of life just on earth, and only one out of the hundreds of thousands is "intelligent" in the sense that you think of when talking about space invaders or Star Wars aliens or whatever. 

It's exactly as Carl Sagan put it - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  Although, I understand that I am using the quote in a somewhat different meaning than was originally intended...
      smile

What's your opinion on the ancient alien theory?

1. profile image0

I think this theory has been invented by people who see every achievement of ancient man as being the product of alien encounters.  They argue that the pyramids could not possibly have been built my man, even though the archaeological evidence shows that this is the case.  Every cave painting of figures wearing a headdress is seen as an alien wearing a space suit.  There is no evidence of alien  visitations in the past, but it sells books and is something people are bound to find interesting.

Quite.  I find it largely to be an unpleasant blend of wishful thinking and prejudice.

Some of the fortresses built on top of the Andie mountains, are pretty remarkable and completely unexplainable.

Other than having been made by ancient and rather advanced cultures like the Inca.

But the findings don't support the ideas that the inca built these fortresses.  For  one some of the ruins date to a much earlier time than that of the inca's.  And with new testing, they have discover that much of the stone work was fired into those gigantic blocks......  And there are no findings to date that shows that the inca's knew how to do this.  Now I'm not saying it was aliens.  I am just saying that maybe your information on the inca's is a little outdated.

2. mathsciguy profile image61
          mathsciguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that I have not looked into the possibility enough to really have a valuable opinion on the matter.  My suspicion is that the theory that extra-terrestrial beings coming to earth in ancient times to help build the pyramids, micromanage, give technology, etc. is completely unfounded other than wild speculation.  In that case, I have no choice but to regard the theories as baseless.
          However, as I stated earlier, I have never really looked very deeply to find out if anyone had some sort of supporting evidence or anything that might possibly hint at alien aid in ancient times.  So, my thoughts really shouldn't be taken as valid conclusion either.

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Many people have seen spacecraft - they go by various names such as "apollo" or "space shuttle".

Tens of thousands more have seen UFO's.  I myself have seen dozens of them.  Many may call them "meteors" or "shooting stars" but as they could also be asteroids or comets they are actually unidentified and are by definition UFO's.

As a teen my buddy and I sent a dry cleaners bag, filled with hydrogen and carrying lit candles, afloat from a nearby hilltop.  It drifted out over the town before the hydrogen suddenly caught and with a silent flare up it disappeared.  Many frantic calls to the police that night and it even made the paper the next day! big_smile  Only two people could identify it and they both kept their mouth shut so for everyone else it was a true UFO.

Great story, I love It!lol

It was a lot of fun and really, really hard not to let the cat out of the bag to our friends and schoolmates. smile

Well that is a really great story.  It would make a great hub.  You should write one.  I bet it would do really good.  Alien Sightings are a hot topic these days on the Internet.

You're probably right about the hub.  But can you imagine how many kids would just love to send burning candles floating over the city?  As an adult now I look back and wonder what if it were just a little heavier and came down on a house without the hydrogen blowing up first?

It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.  But it sure was fun at the time!

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a terrible thing to do! (not!) That was not only clever, but apparently effective.
      I bet you can still get a smile out of that... I did. smile

Yes, I still get a laugh when I think about it. 

Both of us were taking chemistry in school and a hydrogen generator seemed an interesting project.  The rest was history as the thing drifted gently over the town at about 11:00 PM, spinning slowly and bobbing gently in the light breeze.  Eventually I suppose a little puff of air compressed the bag a little, forcing hydrogen out of the open bottom and into the candles and resulting in the whole thing going poof! and disappearing.  We were still up on the hill and could see the cop cars flashing lights running all over town but didn't realize we were the cause of the little town's excitement until the paper came out the next day.

I am fifty-one years old and that sounds like great fun for a 11pm Friday night prank.  The difference is the presence of legally purchased libations.

Sure thing.  Replace the candles with LED's and a little timer to ignite the hydrogen, though.  I live only a couple of minutes (to an F15) from an air force base now.  Can you just see them buzzing the town and ordering that bag to "Land immediately or we'll shoot!"?  Or a group of Apache helicopters swooping around  and surrounding it to force a landing? lol

I really shouldn't think such things, but....

Add some cold beer and some shots - it will make sense.

It certainly couldn't hurt!

9. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

About a week ago I saw an unidentified object on the horizon, the lights were so bright, it seemed to be hovering or something. I turned out to be a ship, a regular ship, I was disappointed!

10. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I didn't know that there are names for many of the common aliens sighted.  Example "the Grey's"

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been reviewing some of the information I have read at various times about UFOs and ETs.  Sometimes it's hard to weed out the hoaxers and totally gullible people from the ones who should be heeded.  But to me, these following reports are worth noticing (some interviews with astronauts and also with the former head of the UFO project for the British Ministry of Defense). 

In one interview I saw (but couldn't find again quickly), the interviewee said that in 1989 (I think that was the year) they had already documented 57 different alien species on earth.  That video was one of the ones I didn't feel sure about, although the man who made the statement did not appear to be obviously loony.  smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlOZtfy0MwY&NR=1 -- 51 sec.
      (astronaut) Edgar Mitchell calls on Pres. Obama to release government documents about UFOs and ETs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVV6u-Y2 … re=related -- 2:27
      Edgar Mitchell - mentions Grays  (says there is definitely evidence aliens are among us and the government's covering it up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNqbDWgMRxo&NR=1 -- 5:26
      (former head of British MoD's UFO project) Nick Pope interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTUjsXJprMg&NR=1 -- 3:15   
      news report about military personnel speaking out about their personal experiences; interview with Leslie Kean, author of "UFOs" – in the book she included only incidents that can't be argued with; she is a skeptic, but she says the "evidence is irrefutable for some kind of physical phenomenon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPR8T1o3Dc&NR=1  -- 5:04
      (astronaut) Gordon Cooper's personal experiences with UFOs – interview with him

Have you seen the movie the Fourth Kind?  Did you see any of that amazing footage of the actual events?  It really did make me wonder.

1. Aficionada profile image80
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I haven't seen that movie, but I will look for it.  Thanks for letting me know about it. smile

I have been amazed at some of the footage on YouTube, and a lot of it looks totally plausible to me... but then, along comes someone else to describe how the video could be (or actually is) faked.  I'm not savvy enough to know how to recognize the well-done fakes, but I definitely believe there are things going on that we need to pay attention to.

11. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I am watching the Deadilest Catch.  The crew of the Time Bandit just let about 10 Chinese lanterns go up into the dark starry night.  And almost immediately the alien sightings began.  He lit them off as a prank.  Too funny!

12. IntimatEvolution profile image68

It was indeed daring!

13. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I saw a ufo once..I won't share the story because it's too bizarre for even me to believe. But it happened. Our arrogance of our own knowledge is mind boggling. And to scoff at so many world wide sightings has never made sense to me.

We will find a way to overcome the problems associated with space travel one day and we'll be the ufos of other worlds.

By what magic will accomplish such a feat? smile

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No magic required, my good man. It will all be achieved through science. Forward thinking and imaginative scientists, to be exact.

Not much evidence of it right now when the only space program with a reentry vehicle was just scrapped.

1. profile image0

Oh, I would disagree. You're thinking NASA only. That isn't the world's only avenue for research and development in space technology.

1. profile image0

I think we may have to look to countries like India, who are developing their space programme.  They have the money now for it, but the West no longer does.

1. profile image0

I think the west has simply misplaced their priorities, but there are companies actively working toward space tourism, so we'll get some technology from that avenue too.

Space is beginning to come within our grasp. Barring some world wide catastrophe, this will keep moving forward. Too many people want it. We'll have a moon base before we know it.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

I specified the only program with a reentry vehicle.  One that can take-off and land.  Do you know of another? Or do you think we will bridge the gap between planets with a three stage rocket?

1. profile image0

Nasa is working toward a manned mission to Mars, using plasma driven rockets, if I'm not mistaken. But from everything I've read, there's a lot of talk about it being a one way mission. So, I assume we don't yet possess the technology to take off again once we've landed. But that wouldn't mean we won't discover a way before we reach that point. It isn't a hurdle. Plenty of people, including me, would volunteer for that mission.

Plus, they've made strides in the development in the technology to build a space elevator. Once that hurdle has been overcome we won't have to worry about spacecraft taking off from earth. We'll start building them in space.

There're hurdles, but this isn't impossible. It's a long term goal.

1. profile image0

I haven't heard about the Mars mission.  Surely NASA can't send people to their deaths, at least I hope not.  Who would volunteer to go, knowing that they won't be coming back?

1. profile image0

Are you kidding?  I'd sign up in a heart beat. Everything you'd see or do would be a discovery. I'd be a kid in a candy shop until the day I died.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Well, that's nice wishful thinking, but that doesn't help overcome the problems of space travel. There are many more problems as well, too many to mention here; gravity, psychoanalytical, time, etc. As biological life forms, we just weren't meant to survive in space, at least not for a very long time. smile

1. profile image0

We could survive at least four weeks couldn't we?  That's how long they are thinking it would take a plasma driven rocket to reach Mars. 

I am aware of the other problems, and you are right.  We can't, with the way things stand, go much further.  But we have to start somewhere and there are years and years of research ahead of us if we can just make it that far.  Research that will help us take the next step further; if possible.  But, we won't know what is possible unless we push the limits.

Tripping around our solar system was not really what I was referring to about space travel, but instead outside our system and traveling around our galaxy and other galaxies.

I do like your optimism, though. smile

1. profile image0

We will get there. We can't boldly go until we've gotten our feet wet. The solar system is the kiddie pool where we'll learn to swim.

14. psycheskinner profile image83

It is not clear what NASA is working towards given that they are about to scrap their only manned space vehicle and have laid off most of their staff in that area and slashed the budget.  if they are going into space any time soon they are apparently doing it without the proverbial 'rocket scientists'.  Obama said something vague about private enterprise picking up the slack.

1. profile image0

OK.  I've googled and there is a whole lot of information on the internet about different scenarios; so maybe it is all optimistic to an extent. But here's one article about someone from NASA talking about the idea.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/27/nasa- … n-to-mars/

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You need to get out of the narrow focus of the NASA - AOL  loop.  China has an active space program, they have recently put up their own home-grown geo satellite grid and launched their own 'earth-map' site and GPS.  They have put people in space and are planning to bypass the moon landing stage and go directly to Mars.  I will need to go read up on it all to get up to date, this info was all two years ago last time I looked.  If that Martian says Ni-hao to you then it is a Chinaman big_smile

Like I said, they have talked about the idea, with launch about 30 years away, since the 1950s.  But to make it happen, you have to actually do it.  Which requires a budget. Which Obama just obliterated.

It is hard to criticise Obama for trying to get the US of A to live within its limited means ?  Persuading your military barons to give up the money and down-size would be a better option but this won't happen without a majority for the Obama party in all houses and a serious confrontation.  You are already a half-military dictatorship and don't even know it !

15. psycheskinner profile image83

The US has been planning to go to Mars in 'about 30 years' since the 1950s.  This remains true today.  As usual, nothing is actually being done to make it happen.

Do you know how US astronauts are getting to the space station?  The Russians are taking them.

Anyone who thinks the US space program is doing well is looking at the smoke and mirrors, not the budgets and facilities.

This is the one thing about the end of the cold war that makes me sad.

It's not that I don't understand, but it's still sad.  Thirty years ago they thought is we;d have hover cats and moon-dome-cities by now.... At this rate the sun'll be burning out before people starting thinking about funding applied research into long distance space travel.

Maybe you missed my post further up - China already has a well established space program with men up there etc etc, and they are seriously planning for Mars last I heard.  I wonder why this stuff never appears in the mainstream media in the weest ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)