Swearing to be prosecuted in Australia.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

A new law is about to come into effect to make swearing in public a prosecutable offence.

As a fifth gen Ozzie I am gob-smacked!

How in hell can they take swearing out of our vocabulary! Bloody hell! I'll be speechless! lol

1. Merlin Fraser profile image61
      Merlin Fraserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We will all be speechless !

But the bigger picture looks worse by making it a prosecutable offence it means we will all end up with criminal records and then they will have the power to hold our DNA and finger prints on record.  Which is something they have wanted to do for a long time.

Just seems the Thought Police have joined forces with the PC Mob to finally find a way.

I suggest before it seriously get's going we hold Mass Swear Athons outside every Government establishment until they come to their senses.

Can you imagine it would be the end of Live television reporting, because the TV company could be sued for broadcasting obscene language... Even the edit BLEEP will be seen as obscene.

We could also send an E Mail to our MP's telling them in no uncertain terms you want to stay an MP then get rid of this  F#*&^ing stupid Law !

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Another totally unworkable law, sounds like they are copying NY with the smoking ban and want people to enforce it themselves.

3. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should come to America Earnest!Swearing is our national pass time...we're very creative too!Wanna hear some examples?How about,Why You M*^$* F*^#@! PIG S*&^%...Pretty good Huh?

earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not bad, not flugging bad at all!

I was called the son of a bastard pig on a construction site once. It had to be translated for me, it was in another language. smile

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

You have just got to think that some people have got way too much time on their hands? How in the hell are they going to police that, or will it be just another ploy (we have these in the UK) to make money by fining random people?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time on their hands! smile

3. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 12 years ago

I saw on the news this morning that the police have actually done it !!

It is a prosecutable offence to swear in public in a town in Yorkshire I think it was Bradford...I considered it such a stupid idea that I didnt really listen to the item in full ,no doubt though it will be in all the tabloids tomorrow if not today !!

4. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Trouble is, it won't even be the people with the really foul mouths that they will go after, it will be some helpless old lady or middle class professional who will not cause the police any trouble when they fine them.

And the truly foul-mouthed will would only wheel out their 'yuman rights lawyers anyway, costing the country another however many thousand quid in legal fees.

In the UK there are already adequate laws in place to deal with someone being aggressive and verbally abusive to another person, so lay off our rights to free speech. If I want to cuss and swear I will!

We already have an assault law that can accommodate abuse, say from a drunk, so as stated, it will be easy targets and fines.
      Flock that!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Well...son of a bit**

You are allowed to say bitc* your in Canada! lol

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Is this law a way to control the homeless? Chase them away?

I really wondered that myself, but it seems they are aiming it at least partially at football fans and the like.
      The police do little at these games because there are never enough of them to even stop brawls. When a Serbian teams play the Croatians or other such clashes occur they disappear!

They have no hope of stopping them swearing there, so it will be Dad saying bloody at the cricket who will cop the fine.

This bloody mad pack of pollies couldn't get a pie in a bakery!! lol

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Just think, Earnest, it might make you a better man...or at least increase your vocabulary! ")

Bloody hell! I have at least 20 words in my vocabulary that aren't swear word already!

Ya wanna turn me in to one of those clever bathplugs that reckons his poo is perfume?

If I blo*dy well need to b*oody swear like a blo*dy Ozzie I orta be bloo*y allowed to without some b*oody walloper givin me a *loody ticket!
      There! I feel a little bloody better!

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
        DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The perfume poo is an interesting concept...

I was going to use the original saying but being in Australia, I'm not bloody allowed to any more! smile

8. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Don't worry guys - I will get the Chinese human rights team to protest in the UN for you, then get them to fund any protesters and smuggle them in arms and rocket launchers, then get them to randomly bomb your cities and units of your repressive military, then get them to shoot you all up by accident in some remote location, then revoke the political status of your premiers and their children and drop plastic drone bombs on your school parties and village halls where significant political targets might be watching their kids nativity play - and then - ahh sod it I think I'll just sit out front of my favourite restaurant with my beer and my smoking buddies swearing the evening away in total freedom from harassment big_smile big_smile big_smile

Thanks mate! That should fix it! smile

9. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I firmly believe that I would've taken a baseball bat to a few people if I didn't swear in my car on my daily commute.  Trouble is the baby just got tubes in his ears and he can now actually HEAR me, so I'm going to have to use covert hand gestures instead!

I usually stay calm when I drive, but the other day someone drove straight out their driveway into the traffic without looking and I had to brake suddenly, I swore without realising I still had the three little ones in the car!

I pretended to repeat what I had said, but changed the words considerably. I hope they didn't notice. smile

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
        DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Trust me, they did and they'll whip 'em out when you least expect it...like in front of company!  I still remember the time my son who was then five said GD-it when I sent him to his room!

I fear you are right, I will get told to flug off by a five year old for sure! smile

10. Merlin Fraser profile image61
    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years ago

Just a thought but do you think the world could operate without money ?

Or alternatively if the Governments were to stop thinking about new ways of taxing or fining us they just kept all the money, supply everything else for free and just give us pocket once a week....

Then they could Fu&# Off and leave us alone !

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well they are already talking about everyone's pay going directly to the HMRC, HMRC deducting all their taxes and only then paying the balance into people's bank accounts.

The theory is that it will save companies time and money, but it would feel like getting government pocket money. And with their recent past record, it would bound to be a fiasco. Great incentive to stay self employed LOL!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)