Answer If You Ever Had A Mom...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I've been sick at home for several days now...as Forrest Gump said, "Cough due to cold." Fever, coughing, generally feeling like something the cat dragged in when my son comes in from school and tells me he has a presentation on coffee beans due tomorrow and the kid in his group who was supposed to bring in a food product related to the topic today dropped the ball.  Unlike his mother, my son's not a slacker and was very distressed since it was a group project after all. So I dragged myself off my death bed and made 30 brownies...from scratch.  However, I think this is all in a day's work for moms who are such unsung heroes. Care to share something great your mom did for you which you thought was above and beyond the call of duty?

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Above the call of duty eh? My daughter has 5 kids, it's all above the call of duty! lol

You are a great mom, and a pretty nice person too!

Thank you for the James Taylor song. I had a ball playing and singing along. smile

DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're so welcome, Earnest.  It's one of my favorites.  My hat's off to your daughter.  I have three kids and one more by default, so anyone with more than that has my respect!

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty certain your kids have the best mom in town, despite being a little poorly sad

My mom came to my rescue countless times, I have an elder brother who used to like chasing me every where, giving me chinese burns or dead legs or making me climb up the highest trees for the best apples.
      I was once hit by a cricket bat that my brother threw at me, accidently this time, the cut gave me a 1.5" gash on my forehead, there was blood all over my face when I got home. My mom wiped my face, kissed it better, rubbed some butter on it and said do you want some soup, that will make it better. I felt 10 feet tall, the miracle of your mom stays with you forever.

Brian, I'm sure if you ask them on any given day they'd disagree with you on that one!

Wow, we have parallel lives!  I got hit in the head with a baseball bat by my sister.  Unfortunately, my mom was in the hospital, so my dad had to rush me to the hospital to have my head stitched up. It happened when I was six, but I remember it to this day. Probably because I had never seen a grown man break a Louisville slugger over his knee before! 

Funny how things like that stay with you, Brian!  Good answer!

And we both can use the excuse we got hit in the head with bats to explain anything else away... smile

1. profile image0
          BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I bet there's plenty of people in the forums who are now saying, that explains a lot about those two. smile

You are so right, I'm afraid!  It's good for back-up!

2. shampa sadhya profile image76
    shampa sadhyaposted 12 years ago

I consider those children to be fortunate who have their mother around. Lately, I've lost my mother which is a tragedy for me but this is the truth of life that nobody is immortal so I've accepted it. The best part is that my mother was around me for more than forty years.
    Every child knows that motherly acts of their mother are unlimited. I too feel the same. Still, I would like to cite two incidents:
    I was in my mid twenties when I had an abdominal surgery. It may sound common but mine was a bit worrying especially for parents and the other members of the family as it was my third major abdominal operation within two years. My mother stayed with me in the hospital on the eve of the operation day. She was sixty plus at that time. Everybody requested her to go back home and come early next morning before the operation. She bluntly refused and said that once the operation becomes successful she will return home but before that she will not move an inch away from me.
    Next incident, it relates to my marriage. An arranged marriage was about to be fixed when the groom's side refused to go ahead by saying that I look very sickly. After a few months gap the same family wanted to go ahead with the marriage. My mother at once refused without giving it a  second thought or discuss with  the family. She explained that if after marriage suppose  any health issue arises the groom's family may accuse me of hiding my sickness. Secondly, she felt the reason of the rejection was an insult to my identity and she didn't allow anyone to play with my identity.
    Just a few examples about my mother's unlimited greatness.

Two great stories about a mom who evidently loved you alot, Shampa.  So sorry for the loss of your mom.  Amazing that once you become a mother, no matter how old your children are, you never stop being their mom and wanting to help take care of them.

3. shampa sadhya profile image76
    shampa sadhyaposted 12 years ago

Hello! DIYweddingplanner,
    Thanks for being concerned.
    No doubt she loved me a lot but here again I would like to share a significant point. I am the youngest of the six siblings but she was very particular about one thing that is she treated her six children very impartially. I was never granted any undue favour from her for being the youngest. It's not all. She never made any distinction between her children and our cousins.
    I believe in one thing that a mother is a woman before her motherhood and prior to it a human being. Every mother feels for her child in the same manner but when a mother is able to control her emotions and act as a human being at first then she stands tall from other mothers. I have seen my mother doing that so I feel blessed.

I think that needs to be on a poster somewhere!

The world needs more mothers like yours, Shampa.

1. shampa sadhya profile image76
        shampa sadhyaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much, DIYweddingplanner.
        I don't know about the world but at least if I can manage to be one like my mother, it would be great.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)