Okay, now this is really weird?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

Check this out----- It is presently 86 degrees where I am. It is presently raining, which isn't really weird in and of itself.

However, we are getting HAIL?

Talk about odd.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

yikes Maybe it's...a sign!  lollol tongue

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jet stream is right on top of your area now, and storms are building, just the begining of a rough eve for Mass. I think. Un-usual though as I remember from Growing up in Providence R.I. but it looks like new England is getting a go at this bad weather comming acroos the nation lately, it sounds like east of you may get bounced this evening.

2. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 12 years ago

Tornado warnings for parts of Mass, Cags.

Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am in Western Mass and most of the time any Tornado warnings are usually dismissed, because of the mountainous terrain in our area and surrounding areas.

Almost all of those types of things usually shift Northbound and barely bother with us here. We get the rain and wind, but nothing too devastating.

Oh well...I found it weird that hail the size of dimes were pounding the area. lol

3. shogan profile image76

Tornado warning issued for Springfield almost to Worcester.  They're seeing rotation.

I live outside of Springfield, but thank you for telling me. wink

4. shogan profile image76

No problem...wasn't sure if you already knew.  Tornadoes in the NE are so rare.  It always takes us by surprise.

I didn't know, because I didn't bother to check today's weather. When I crawled out of bed and went to my local coffee shop, it was gorgeous out and very comfortable. lol

All of a sudden, it just recently started to rain(heavy), but wasn't "hailing". Then when the hail started to come down, it got my attention. lol

5. mrpopo profile image72
    mrpopoposted 12 years ago

Sounds like mother nature's getting angry...

6. Money Glitch profile image64
    Money Glitchposted 12 years ago

As a child in Tennesse we had days like you described; and sure enough usually there would be a bad tornado nearby within a few hours; but sometimes it occurred 50 to 100 miles away. Stay safe, my friend. smile

Thank you Money Glitch. I'll do my best. smile

Thank you also to everyone else. I just found it really odd. lol

7. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

I agree with the others, watch the news to see if a tornado passes by your area. We are under a tornado watch here in the Midwest.

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I've seen similar while in a grocery store, but no tornado in Idaho.  Wind enough to fly empty shopping carts across the parking lot, but no tornado.

9. shogan profile image76

Several tornado touchdowns in Massachusetts.  Cars and trees overturned...looks like some real damage.  Hopefully, no one's been hurt.

10. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I came to see if there was word from folks in Western Ma. Besides Cagsil, I'm not sure who else on here is from MA.  I'm in Northeastern Ma, so we're just watching (and worrying) for now.  At the time I'm posting, the storms have already hit Springfield hard (which is what got me wondering if Cagsil (and others out there) are OK.

Lots of damage being reported, but Springfield (Maple Street area) is where the worst damage is said to have taken place (in case anyone from other states have family/friends here and may be wondering).

1. shogan profile image76
      shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They're saying that cars were overturned on I-84 in Sturbridge.

11. Cagsil profile image71

Well, if it matters any, at least I won't go without electricity here where I am. My electric company is based on water. lol lol

Plenty of rain to fill the river located right behind the electric company, should provide plenty of help. lol

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your home (etc) is OK, Cagsil?

Hey Lisa, I live in a six-family apartment complex, that is three stories high. I live on the first floor. And, I am fine, as is many of my neighbors.

Lots of thunder and lightning happening right now, but no rain or the hail that was coming down earlier. smile

12. Lisa HW profile image63

Just after I posted above, I'm hearing that a new warning is out for Holyoke and Chicopee (where Cagsil is).  Thinking of you, Cagsil.  Stay safe.

Thank you kindly Lisa. smile

Ah!  Nice to see you're OK.      My friend's daughter is in Westfield.  Now, they're saying another one in that area.

13. Cagsil profile image71

Great!

Now I have every paranoid individual in my complex knocking on my door claiming tornado is coming, tornado is coming.

Even my sister called to tell us to go to our basement. hmm

I'm worried about someone I know in West Springfield.  She and her husband are both wheelchair bound, and they just came on the news with the reported right there in West Springfield.`

And all it is doing here on my side of Chicopee(which I am approximately 3 miles from the Springfield border) is raining.

No high wind or anything else. Even the thunder and lightning has stopped.

14. tlpoague profile image81

My husband just stepped thru the door on his way home from work. He was telling me about how he saw the tail end of a tornado come down and broke up. We have a couple of storm cells here that may overlap each other. We are in a tornado watch until midnight. So much for finishing a few hubs if the lights go out. I am racing to get them done.
    I wish everyone well that is in this weather.

thinking of you tlpoague.  Stay safe.   

I'm wondering about whether Westfield State College (or its dorms) maybe have been affected.  My friend's daughter it here.    (I can't imagine living with this kind of thing (tornado watches)

1. tlpoague profile image81
        tlpoagueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It isn't too bad if you know what to look for. I grew up hearing too many horror stories and storm chasers. smile

15. tlpoague profile image81

I am trying to take pictures while watching the forums.

16. tlpoague profile image81

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5111072_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5111075_f248.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5111076_f248.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the clouds. Later I will try to download the video.

*UPDATE* 70 mile an hour winds with tennis ball size hail...moving east.

17. Cagsil profile image71

Cool pictures.

The sun is out now and the rain has completely stopped. smile

Thanks! I am still trying to figure out the video while trying not to freak out. Hubby reassures me that it will miss us, but those east of us have seen a tornado on the ground 26 miles from us. I haven't heard if there is any damage yet.

Where are you at?

I am in Eastern part of Chicopee, but in Western part of Mass. wink

North East Kansas...

Oh, okay. I thought you were somewhere near me. I guess 1800 miles apart...it would certainly be one huge storm. (j/k) tongue smile

lol agreed!! I know some people from Joplin that come over here to work off and on. Back in 2005 in Wyoming, an unusual tornado ripped through my hometown. Took out half of it. Wyoming was one of those places that rarely sees a tornado.

wink

18. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

If it rains frogs next, then you get locusts and then some geezer comes around collecting all the first-born let us know - it might be a good time to consider joining the fundies big_smile

lol lol lol lol lol

2. tlpoague profile image81

lol lol will do!

19. Cagsil profile image71

Thunder and lightning, and down-pouring rain has returned. sad

20. tlpoague profile image81

Here we go again for round two. A tornado was spotted fifteen miles from us. I don't think I will be sleeping much tonight...

21. Lisa HW profile image63

Thankfully, the only storms left are some leftover (but, I guess, serious) thunder and lightning storms (moving through fast, though).  (10:45 p.m.).  The tornado watches/warnings have been called off.

19 towns/cities were in the paths (and none of those were in the part of MA were anyone in my family lives, except for that cousin (I mentioned before), who lives right where the worst of it all happened; and who, understandably (if for no reason other than power outage), I haven't heard anything from/about.    State of emergency in MA.  At least 4 known fatalities.  Lots of injuries and damages/destruction.

Honestly, I really don't know how people who live where this kind of stuff goes on regularly do it.  hmm  The tension of watching the new storms, springing up while weather people were already reporting about the ones that were in full swing, was exhausting!

Still watching for anyone on here who may have been in one of the affected areas for this group of storms.  Guess everyone in the area can be grateful that a cool front's on the way.  It's all pretty sobering (and "foreign") to those of us who've never seen more than fairly limited tornado activity. I know others have been through/witnessed a whole lot worse than this; but news people are saying that people are pretty much stunned over what went on.

I am glad to hear that you are ok.  My heart and prayers go to those that have been affected by the damage and fatalities. My sister called me to tell me that she was watching the swirls above her house, but was lucky enough that nothing touched down. My dad had no idea the storm was even coming and is getting the worst of the storms. I haven't heard yet if there has been any damage from those that have touched down.
      They are finally calling off the tornado watch/warning now.
      Keep us posted!

I'm glad everyone who has shown up here is OK too.  I can't imagine how frightening it must be just to see the swirling at all or have close family members seeing it where they are.  None of it ended up in my immediate area, but I was kind of worried about the weird-colored sky (yellow) we had for awhile. Earlier in the day all the storms just had the usual dark skies.

My heart goes out to those in the affected towns/cities too. It's one of those things that's there nothing much anyone can say, other than that.

For me, the main source of scare with it was having three grown kids all in different towns in this part of the state, and seeing how the storms were headed out this way.  The weather people were watching however many they were, and I was watching to see whether they were headed for four different towns (kids' places of business and homes), as well as my own.  Well, that and having a few people I know in the affected areas.

By the time it got so there seemed to be only one "maybe" one out there, but a bunch of severe storms that had the news people telling everyone to still watch out for bad winds, I just went and took a nap!  I thought, "You know what?  Where the kids are is out of the woods.  Let any trees crash in on me that are going to crash in.  I need to sleep after this."   lol  (It's been yet one more new experience with the "horrors" of having grown kids, as opposed to the little kids you can just scoop up and know where they are.   smile  )

22. Cagsil profile image71

Below is a picture my niece put on Facebook.

The house in the background is where her father lives.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5111713_f248.jpg

Pretty bad, although at least it looks like the house is OK.  There's  a whole lot of cleaning up to be done, that's for sure.  It's good the National Guard's going in.  It's a good thing the tree didn't fall right through the whole roof.  hmm

Yeah Lisa, it could have been worse. As far as I know, nothing happened to the house or the cars that were in the driveway, which is a good thing. smile

23. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

This really IS weird.
    Cags, we had the EXACT SAME weather out here in Sacramento region today!
    I mean EXACT!
    Pouring rain, then hail.
    Then tornado warnings.
    We don't get tornadoes here.
    At least, we never used to....

So what do you make of this bicoastal rampage?
    I just hope this is the end of the tornadoes!!!

24. tlpoague profile image81

Wow, that looks like a big tree.

25. Lisa HW profile image63

Excellent!  After having no source of information other than the news coverage going on in my cousin's (and her family's) city, I finally heard from her today.  She, her family, and home are all fine.   I was thinking that even if they hadn't been horribly affected, they might be in some emergency shelter of something like that.  Just thought I'd post even this single case of happy news here.  (They have a baby granddaughter staying with them, so that was another thing I was thinking about.) I can't say I've even been quite so happy to hear from this cousin who had been much like a sister to us when we were kids.)  smile

1. Teylina profile image61
      Teylinaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Lisa, ANY good news to anyone about anyone is great anymore-- simply because too many things are really weird! Glad your family's ok.

26. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 12 years ago

I've been reading this thread and the news. Hope all of you (Lisa, Cagsil, etc.) are ok

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)