Why did Nature not provide us with two hearts?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (55 posts)
  1. hubby7 profile image64
    hubby7posted 14 years ago

The thought just occurred to me today: Why did Nature provide us with only one heart? Why did it not give us two? That way if one heart failed, we would have a second heart to back it up. It's like a engine on a plane. If one engine fails, the other engine continues to operate allowing the plane to continue to fly. Again, why did Nature not do the same for us humans? Why did it not supply us with two hearts so that if we were to suffer a massive heart attack, we could continue to function as normal by relying on our other heart? What are your thoughts on this question?

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, because we were meant to die at some point of our lives!

2. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then we would have to find other ways to thin the herd so to speak...Nature had a way of keeping things balanced and preventing over population by any one species...We have over population in the world now and with medical advances we are keeping people around years beyond what nature would have intended...and all the while more are being born. Maybe nature and evolution are smarter than us??

1. profile image59
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is not much doubt about that!

2. hubby7 profile image64
        hubby7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer. Absolutely and thoroughly enjoyed your reply. Balance. Nature. Evolution. Intelligence!

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, that is really interesting.

and why two kidneys? it seems two hearts and two brains, even, would be more valuable wink

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in all  of life the most valuable is the hardest to obtain - such as, expensive diamonds, pure gold, etc...

two kidneys, hhhmmmm, probably because they actually do much more work, they don't get to sleep/rest such as the brain and heart  (pure guesses!!)

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

heh, interesting topic to muse on, at any rate. hmm if we had two hearts could we fall in love with two different people at once? gives new meaning to the terms "half hearted" and "wholehearted" anyway neutral

hmmm

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great question!

Somehow I think the heart, like the brain, is an organ that individualizes us, unlike the lungs and limbs......

Don't ask me to explain that, medically nor scientifically.  It's just my take on it....

1. brianzen profile image59
        brianzenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah A baboon heart works pretty good for us too, just makes us want to climb stuff.

Oh.

If that were the case, heart transplant patients would lose their identities. They would have become the person from whose heart they were the recepient. Good thinking anyway.

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have seen horror movies where this sort of  thing happend.

5. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are aware of the redundancy already built into the four chamber design, correct?

The design is far more efficient and resilient than a "simpler" two heart design, which would be more prone to failure because of synchronization issues.

Having just replaced my swimming pool pump, I have an experiential appreciation for the delicacy of a pressurized fluid  circulation system.  To "simply" add another pump to the system could create issues with filter tanks, chlorination systems, pipes, hoses, etc. leading to a need for a complete system re-design.

However, a well designed single pump, with built in redundancy (such as the four chamber system in the human heart) is both resilient and applies the proper fluid pressure without the  additional complexity of increased pressure and synchronization issues.

Solutions to the fluid pressure problems alone would be far more complex with two pumps ... to maintain the same system pressure after a pump failure the second pump would need to work twice as hard, and would therefore fail sooner.

From an engineering perspective, without a complete system redesign, the idea of adding a second pump to the fluid flow system is a bad design. 

I reject your redesign proposal in favor of the original.

Excellent reply. However, I was not making a proposal. I was merely engaging in speculation and drawing an analogy between a plane's engines and human heart. Again, excellent reply.

1. BDazzler profile image78
          BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's good ... I hate all the meetings that go with redesinging major systems... wink

6. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

nothing lasts forever

7. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The answer is easy, with evolution. The average human/primate/mammal/animal lifespan was less than about 40 years until just about 2 centuries ago.

Not too many people need to worry about their hearts failing before 40.

Thus natural selection didn't work towards it.

8. Old Geezer profile image61
      Old Geezerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Embryologically we DO have two hearts; a left one and a right one!  As our fetus grow in the womb,  left and right sides grow adjacent to each other.  The right heart takes over circulation to the lungs, and the left side takes over circulation for the rest of the body.  In a small number of people, this process differs in that the left heart takes over lung circulation, and the right heart takes over circulation to the rest of the body.  Thus, these people have what is usually called a right sided heart and most of us have a left sided heart.

So our double heart split the work load!  And we have two atria and two ventricles.

2. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't whatever one does that messes up the first one also cause the other to fail? Why doesn't it happen that way, lungs both fail at the same time but kidneys don't. As far as I know, they don't alternate handling the workload.

The brain does. The left hemisphere might take over some of the functions of the right hemisphere and vice versa if some of its functions are damaged beyond repair.

3. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

In the near future, (very near future) we will be able to rebuild all our organs with a simple injection of stem cells. smile This type of medical tech is up and running for eye repairs.

1. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The ethics questions that will come up with that could keep us busy for a long time. In a way I am all for this, but also against. How long do we really need to keep people alive?

If you are 17 and an organ fails by all means rebuild. If you're 70?

If I am 70 and able to rebuild my organs I might want to just to stay alive longer, but it's not fair to the younger ones who also need space and resources. Maybe 70 is a bad example, but you know what I'm getting at.

My oldest daughter is in biochemistry at university and my sister in biotech and the debates over what they are able to do opposed to what they should do are never ending.

Good questions.

2. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, in fact it has been said by some very credible people that we lag behind with social solutions to new medical science which is in the pipeline at this time.

Solving these problems will be very difficult, although for those who wish to know a lot more, the information and discussions are already under way.
        (Hedweb.com) the hedonistic imperative is a great read.

3. Zaharkina profile image59
        Zaharkinaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Age and time are just some thing created by human , to coordinate our actions, We didn't come on this earth to accomplished anything, Life is endless . and we came here only for JOY , we have to do what we want to do , do anything what make you happy , When we are in discomfort zone , we can more understand what we really want and it gives us a new desire and we have to fallow it . This is the life , And we have to live as much as we want to live , Some people at 90 you have plans ahead of them for the next 10 years .... but some at 20 yo believe that life is over and nothing ahead. We are responsible only for ourself , for our believes and our feelings. I don't believe in Death , no such of thing as a death , it is only transformation, but we have to use as much as we can that chance to be on this beautiful Earth and use our magnificent bodies. Give a birth to new desire and fallow it . This is the purpose of life . discomfort
        And what about 70th..... i know one lady , who start take her Yaga classes , when she was 72. Don't think about the outhers , discover yourself .

2. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if in the not so near future we will also be able to install a back up, just in case. And maybe even get upgrades, or new ones we don't even have at the moment.

Good thoughts.

3. quicksand profile image80
      quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting. smile

4. hubby7 profile image64

That's true.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

4. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

One broken heart is bad enough, as is having your heart repeatedly broken.  I can't imagine having two of them to guard.  I know this is not the slant you are going it, but it is what comes to mind.  Also, the spleen, if ruptured, will re-grow.  Actually, we have multiple spleens, but only one is of functioning size at a time... why not multiples of most organs?

1. brianzen profile image59
      brianzenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nature provides way less digestible cholesterol than say, 85% of the companies clogging our natural arteries (one heart should be sufficient)

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true. Good answer.

5. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

LOL

hmmm...

Still, there must be more to it than that....

6. H.C Porter profile image79
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I am sure this is not what you were looking for in a response- but organs are not really my expertise smile
    But...
    Nature has it's own way of balancing things- Maybe one good heart is strong enough to get the job done-and there is no need for a 2nd, kind of like love and marriage, (no need for 2- if you find yourself in love with 2, you'll probably find yourself in trouble)

7. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

never mind two hearts - other organs could come higher in the double dose category so that we can enjoy the short time we get more big_smile

1. H.C Porter profile image79
      H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  big_smile   big_smile   big_smile

8. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Who says nature did this anyway?
    Oh,yes, the evolutionists did?
    I'm still not convinced! big_smile

9. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I think you have to remember that both the brain and the heart require a lot of oxygen to operate, duplicating these could make it very hard to supply enough oxygen to the rest of the body. Also, what would happen if the hearts began to beat out of sync, or the brains had seperate personalities?

The heart and the brain are incredibly reliable, and until recently the majority of people did not live to the age where heart attacks became more common.

Maybe as evolution progresses it will provide us with more ways of living longer, we have a good few millenia to wait though untill we see any product of that.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like someone with multiple personalities and one of them got religion and decided to go it alone ? big_smile big_smile

10. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i think we do have 2 hearts.
    if your heart gets broken someone else comes along and uses theirs to repair yours. we back each other up. nature is unpredictable. but you always know another human is out there waiting to help back up your heart with the strength of theirs. i just might take a while to sort out which human will.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a wonderful thought smile

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

we don't need 2 hearts. the human body wasn't designed to eat stuff that resembles food. if we ate right and moved our bodies more, there wouldn't be so much heart disease, etc.

12. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Heart attack doesn't have to be from physical stress only it can be from mental stress as well. Imagine if you get two hearts can you minimize the mental stress ? No, so that way you can't even keep up with multiple hearts cause when you get stress it'll affect all the hearts. Evolution is slow process that we observe in nature, it balances life by discarding things which are unnecessary for survival. The way humans evolved i doubt there was possibility of two hearts in the branch.

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Were you a god why would you choose to be married?

14. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

It wasn't in God's blueprint and think about this both hearts would have to pump continually at the same time , so there would be a possibility of both hearts giving out at the same time. If many of us can not take care of one heart, how would we be able to take care of two hearts? smile

1. quicksand profile image80
      quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let someone steal one! smile

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are funny!!! lololo big_smile

15. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

ok - say we had two brains - (two hearts would not work at all, so forget that) and say that meant you could have all that extra brain power BUT I know for sure I would never be able to make up my mind about anything!  just think of all the indecision in the world and the impact that would have!

16. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

One heart, one brain, one liver, one bladder, one gall-bladder, on stomach, one extremely elongated set of intestines - did you know that if someone stripped you intestines out, they could lay the length and breadth of a full-sized football pitch?, but of course, you'd be dead.
    Two hands, two arms, two legs, 2 kidneys, 2 lungs, 2 feet, 10 fingers, 10 toes, one nose, 2 eyes, 2 ears, one mouth...what else?

Anyway, if we had to have two hearts, our upper body would have to broaden to make room for them and we're be even stranger shapes than we are now.

17. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

The heart does not take up much space. They say it is the size of the fist and so the body could easily accommodate another heart. With two hearts it is recommended that the coronary arteries be connected parallel and not in series such that when one stops the other will continue. lol

18. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 13 years ago

Simple answer, the same reason nature didn't give us 2 dicks.

19. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 12 years ago

Ha, Two hearts could mean you can give one each to two girls, how nice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)