Life is one big test for future reward in heaven.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (101 posts)
  1. profile image0
    The Minstrelposted 12 years ago

Man is motivated by reward. Being motivated by heavenly rewards keeps us unselfish and loving on earth. Heavens blessings are inexhaustible. Earthly reward systems breed competition, jealousy, and selfishness.

1. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What are you planning on doing with eternity?

An eternal life would be a curse, not a blessing. Sooner or later you'd run out of things to do and start to get bored or go mad. Maybe you'd last a few hundred, a few thousand, a few million years, but you'd still have eternity to go.

1. profile image0
        The Minstrelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The thief on the cross was told by Jesus, "Today, you will be with me in paradise." I don't think you will be bored. It's a totally different place.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
          DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wondered at the statement Jesus made to the thief.

"Today you will be with me in Paradise"

Didn't Jesus go to hell first for three days, so that he could resurrect to show he had power over Death, Hell and the Grave...

Is Death,Hell and the Grave considered Paradise? Or have we read into something that we didn't actually understand and have came up with the wrong interpretation.

1. profile image0

I think it is pretty straight forward. Paradise is paradise. Jesus was comforting a thief who understood his position before a King.

So me and you have the same Idea of Paradise? And when did Jesus ever claim to be King?

1. profile image0
                brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Matthew 5:35   Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
                John 18:37   Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world...
                Revelation 15:3   And they sing the song of MOSES the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou KING of saints.
                Revelation 19:16   And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. (jesus)

Today you shall be with me in paradise is jesus' confirmation that because this man believed, that when he dies he will be gathered unto his people, his name will be written in the book of the living, those in right standing with God. Paradise is not the grave and people don't go to heaven immediately when they die. This fellow on the cross has a shot of being resurrected into the 1,000 yr reign to experience Christ. The man on the cross was not saved but he will get his chance to act out his belief later. When jesus died on the cross that effected the new dispensation, salvation from that point on became absolutely necessary; prior to the cross, belief was needed for right standing.

You know Brother...It doesn't matter. You will never get past your own one sided beliefs. There is no sense in attempting to have a civil debate with you.

And in case you are wondering...According to those who actually have studied and teach the bible...your interpretation is not correct. You are interpreting the bible to support your religious beliefs.

David was the first king you referenced...and in the second...Jesus was just confirming what he was being accused of and of the scriptures he was fulfilling....and the last two...John saw words written..nothing was said by Jesus that he was a King...So again I ask...When does Jesus himself ever claim to be a King? You know those words written in Red in some bibles.

Have a nice Day smile

1. profile image0

you're so right.... jesus saying "to this end (king) was i born" i think you missed that part. And to say that john JUST saw letters is really a good chuckle. You may also like to diss 17:14 as just merely words which the original greek confirms.

I think you're one sidedness needs to be scrutinized. Jesus on the right hand of God (the place of power and authority) and  "All things given to the Son" including judgment is nothing to worry about and of course why should Jesus receive any positional recognition or title when he reigns in the 1000 yrs and of course kingdoms don't have kings thats why they are called kingdoms, because, dukes rule em. roll
                    Of course you never thought that Jesus ministry was progressive.. teacher, priest, king.
                    and of course if you teach anything less than Jesus being King of kings and Lord of lords i certainly have no interest in your teachings, so teach on teacher.
                    Matthew 5:35 references Jerusalem being the city of the GREAT king... where does Christ come back too on earth? Jerusalem.
                    David was a prophet or don't you know that? Great king... G r e a t  king..  of course psalms 110:1 enters nicely here. God says this verse again in isaiah 66:1

1 Timothy 6:15   Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
                    Zechariah prophesy Zechariah 9:9 “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King comes unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an donkey.”
                    Daniel 7:13-14  should be fun for you
                    I'm sorry you aren't able to acknowledge Jesus as king perhaps you don't even recognize him as God in the flesh.
                    Why Jesus is even contested to be a king is beyond me.
                    I can easily be done with the conversation too.

2. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If one believes in a trinitarian God, then this statement makes perfect sense.  God the Father was in Heaven while Jesus was on the Cross, prior to the sending of the Holy Spirit.  So yes, Jesus went to hell for three days.  God the Father and the Holy Spirit were in Heaven.  Hence, on that day, the thief was with GOD in Paradise.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image71
          Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But it's an eternal place. Paradise or not the human mind couldn't cope with or comprehend infinity. After ten million years of harp lessons I think anyone would got insane, and in this case it wouldn't be ten million, ten billion or ten trillion, it would be eternal.

2. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Heavenly reward is an idea constructed by your masters to keep you working and under his thumb - for which your reward is supposed to be heaven.  It is hard to believe in this information age and with all the accumulated knowledge available that anyone would still be peddling this out of date snake oil.  Unless they were in the money business of religion  of course along with the now rich end of the worlders.

1. profile image0

Well that might be true, except that God is not mocked. Can you believe that people will be able to sacrifice their lives for rewards and this wrong motive will go unnoticed by God? The first commandment: LOVE the lord thy God with all thy heart.... Is this love, when one does things for reward? Nope.
        Christians who are christlikeians aren't so very wrapped up in the condition or greatness of their reward, their ambition stems from a desire to please God and to get to know God. This is why i marvel at people who say, "Who can know God?" The whole purpose is to get to know God and Jesus makes this so much more accessible.
        So those who can manage to keep the ways of God because they want their reward will fail, because their motive stems from greed and not love.

3. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

4. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What are you? A trained seal? If you're simply doing  it because you expect reward, are you a good person?

1. profile image0

No, I'm just saying that we are motivated out of reward. I'm just being real. If you are living for eternal rewards than it is not selfishness. Heaven is inexhaustible.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it is selfish because anything you do while you're alive is driven entirely by that one motive, to gain rewards in the afterlife. smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61
            Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am fueled mainly by the concept that I'm am one with creation. Think this is heaven/hell. It's what we make it. It has always been in our hands, not because God, or whatever, doesn't exist, but because we had to come to the understanding of that, that if we succeed here, we did it, and if we fail here and Man dies out, that we did that too. Love can't be simply understood as an electro/chemical reaction in the brain, even though that is what it is. Compassion, empathy, all of these are the same. We rule this world like people are merely machines, and we won't survive. We began a journey to the here and now, and a part of each and every one of us has, indeed, made that journey. Every single step was a necessary step to bring us to the dawn of our understanding. We can't let every thing we are be boiled done to absolute fact, or everything we are, disappears. Spirituality, philosophy, theology...all necessary.

1. profile image0

Excellent points.

2. profile image0

Or one could say that the epitome of selfishness is NOT to believe in God, because, really, God does not endorse living a self ruled life.

If I believe in YOUR god or another god? Can I believe in Zeus or Thor and still not be selfish? smile

1. vector7 profile image60
                vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

More tangents?

lol

2. profile image0

Let me ask you. If you found out, beyond a shadow of a doubt that your religion was wrong, would it change a thing? Wouldn't you still be the unselfish, loving person you are now?

I think we try to do what we think is right because it feels good to do it. Isn't that motivation enough?

1. profile image0

Where did right and wrong come from? Who set the standard? Why is it so uniform across the nations for the most part? It came from an eternal God.

It came about as a way for people with differences to live together somewhat peacefully. It is how non-family related societies are built.

2. profile image0

That wasn't the point of the question.

3. getitrite profile image72
              getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The necessitiy to survive.

Some things do not require someone to set any standards.

All humans, as any species, are, NATURALLY, similar.

Abject nonsense.

2. Druid Dude profile image61

Where did you learn that? Where did they learn it? I ask this enough, I'll bet they learned it in church.

1. profile image0

Learned what? That the only reason to do good is to ensure your salvation?

I disagree. I believe the judeo christian heritage has given us the basis for the way we judge right from wrong, but these  values didn't simply come from a religious concept. They are essential elements  you would want to instill as a goal to aspire to in the citizens of a peaceful society. Would they exist without  Christianity? Yes. Without religion? We'll never know. But I think there is ample evidence that they can exist without religion and without the assumption that the only reason to do it is to get into heaven.

5. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Minstrel:

How long have you lived on this planet earth?

Lets just take it from the days of Moses, oh, 3200-3400 yrs ago.

Do ya remember those days? I know ya've studied the "Pentateuch."

let me just remind ya of those good ole days in Egypt under the rule of the strict and powerful "Pharaohs" and then on to Old Mesopotamia.

Now fast forward thru Rome, Constantine, the disgustingly cruel and deadly "Dark Ages," the Renaissance, the age of "Enlightenment" and on to today.

Are ya following me?

I will now quote you:

"Being motivated by heavenly rewards keeps us unselfish and loving on earth."

Pls give me a time during the past 3 thousand or so years of recorded human history that man has been "unselfish and loving?"

Or did you arrive recently from another planet and miss all that fun?

Tell ya what, since yer a "newbie" on Earth, we've created a site we call "Google" that'll bring ya right up to date on all that you've missed concerning human history.

I'm being "unselfish and loving" and offering you the help you seem to need to bring ya right up to date on all your concerns.

See, there's a whole world of information available to ya out there that that book of fairytales: the bible, hasn't/doesn't cover.

I'm an "unselfish and loving" man who has offered you help in your search for enlightenment.

I hope your visit here on Earth will bring you closer to understanding universal reality.

Thumbs up! Good luck...smile:

Qwark

1. profile image0

Thank you for your kind, condescending words. I feel the love. Bless you.

1. qwark profile image59

Being the kind, generous, unselfish and loving man I am, no problem! No  problem at all! Anytime!  smile:

Qwark

Well, Qwerk. You just stumbled onto why GD might be a little ticked off at us. We certainly messed up the place.

1. qwark profile image59

Druid:
          I'd love to consider that statment, but since my imagination cannot conjur up this god thing you speak of I just have to reply, respectfully,... if that's what you believe, NP...smile:
          Qwark

6. profile image0

Minstrel, while I believe in heavenly reward, I think our reasons for being unselfish and loving on Earth are because that's what Jesus did, not simply for the reward that awaits us in Heaven.  There are those who don't believe who are unselfish and loving as well.  They may or may not receive rewards on Earth.  Frankly, those who choose to be unselfish and loving rarely receive rewards at all.  The difference between the believer in heavenly rewards and one who does not believe in them is what they choose to about with the LACK OF REWARDS on Earth.  Do they continue to do good unselfishly or do they give up because they aren't getting anything back?  I think that's the real question. 

Just a thought.

1. profile image0

All right, the first valid comment on my forum topic. I agree. We serve unselfishly because we follow the example of Jesus. However, the idea of eternal reward or heaven does have motivational qualities. It actually has more motivational qualities than we think. Even Jesus for the joy set before him endured the shame of the cross. He was motivated out of heaven. When trial and tribulation hit us like a freight train, our eternal reward in heaven takes on greater weight. Bless you Motown2chitown!!!!

1. profile image0

Thank you for the blessings, Minstrel!  smile  I think the issue of communication may be difficult for some of the others on the forum because you say that Jesus was motivated out of Heaven for joy, and that it was for joy that He endured the shame of the cross.  I would disagree only in saying that He was motivated by love (sort of in agreement with Cagsil). 

I can say this much of trial and tribulation - I have endured some doozies in my time, and in all honesty?  I sometimes lost sight of any sort of heavenly reward, and was only able to press on because of love.  smile  I've even had to press on during those moments when I've lost faith altogether and wondered if it wasn't all a big cosmic joke.

I appreciate your openness and very pleasant response!  Don't be discouraged in your own belief by others' disbelief.

smile

7. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's misleading to motivate yourself with heaven's reward, because then you are doing what you're doing for the sake of heaven. God really hates that. wink

8. profile image0
      IEsMedicalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Minstrel, it's me intimatevolution.  As you know I loved your hub about Atheist participation in forums, and I'm always up for a good theological discussion.  So with that all written, where is the discussion here?  I mean seriously- there isn't an open-ended question to discuss here.  What you have written holds true for anyone.

You do not have to harbor a religious faith, to own these characteristics.  See what I'm saying?  Anyone can live a life this way, and thus have jealously, greed, pride, or whatever destination that is getting in the way of someone being righteous. (Righteous to that of God's gifts.)  And what does that all mean anyways?  Whose to say that those characteristics are wrong?  A medieval monk or Catholic Pope?

Is our God not a jealous God?
      Is our God not a selfish God?
      Yes, he is.  So what does that mean for us?  Are we not to be Christ-like?  Selfish in the way we happen to be expected to devote our lives to Christ, and to his discipleship. Right? 

I'm fiercely competitive about Christ.  Aren't you?  I compete with other religions, trying to live my life according to Christ.  Christ was competitive, was he not?  Competitive with the Jewish leaders?  Pilot thought so, or he would have never made it a competition.

9. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As well as on earth.The best is yet to come,and come it shall.All things was PREDESTINE to be fulfill in and at its appointed time.And it shall not be late.

2. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

What a great idea!

Deny your only life, because if you do, after you die you will have a better one. lol Sure, that makes sense! lol

You know...for the amount of people who claim to believe that idea...very few if any actually do it...

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One only needs to look at the expensive toys in the church car park to agree with that. smile

1. profile image0

The American form of Christianity – the consumer type – does not paint a good picture. I'm talking about the Christianity of the first century church and the few that minister in that same truth. Whatever the case, we are all motivated by reward. I'm just saying the earthly type, so prevalent in the church today, is misguided and leads to strife and in some cases, war.

1. recommend1 profile image60

AAAAhhhhh !  Another christian who is the only type of REAL christian.  Quick!  send for Brenda !

lol Good idea, perhaps we will witness a fight over some point of doctrine that will get the "holier than thou" set on the job squabbling over who has the right god, as they always do eventually. lol

And don't forget the pointless quotes listings big_smile

Ah yes! The pointless endless repetition of the scriptures, that everyone already knows off by heart, but can't agree on. smile

1. profile image0

All the scriptures are agreed on, that they are inspired by God.
                    Math is wonderful but i did not do calculus in grade 5.
                    The scriptures contain an unlimited depth, instructions for the babe in christ and the elderly. Biblically there is both milk and meat in the word. As christians progress and grow in God they are able to digest sturdier foods and they leave the old food behind. If christians do not see the scriptures the same way it because they are at different levels of understanding. There is nothing wrong with this. Sometimes, however,  instead of realizing the deeper depths they adamantly stay with the knowledge they have, never increasing, even eventually to be purporting that they have studied themselves in one side of the bible and out the other; because they did not progress they slid backward. To not move forward is to stagnate and stagnation is subject to a backward motion as all others pass by.
                    But all Christians agree on the basics. Jesus is Lord and God exists. salvation is key and holiness is important, etc.
                    Also i give the example of a puzzle. One person is working on the puzzle in the lower left hand corner another in the upper right and someone is putting together the pieces in the middle. One forms the flowers in a field, another the clouds and the person in the middle, a boat. Do they all see the same thing? Are their problems the same? Is their information the same? No, no and no. Their parts of the puzzle (equation) are different. God bless them.

2. profile image0

It's funny. If we make an observation it automatically causes other to make a judgment on you. I don't boast about being a great Christian, but I have met real ones, who, even though imperfect, live a good and true life.

You make observations and laugh at the squabbling between humans who say they are Christian. Maybe they are. Maybe they're not. Who gives a flying rip any way? It comes down to you, God, and how you live this life. Who cares about the others? Oh yeah, you don't believe in God. It matters not. Life goes on whether you believe or not. It's all step of faith.

1. profile image0

We all make a choice on the road we want to travel on.

Inclusive statements such as the title of this thread are the problem.

You make a statement that assumes their is a heaven, an afterlife, a god and can't support a word of it. smile

No god/s no heaven, no hell, just belief in a 2,000 year old re-written book of hearsay that was penned by a bunch of sexist racist old men.

Campers of their day.
                  It's mythology my friend, and pretty sick mythology at that.
                  The biblical god makes Zeus look like mother Teresa! (Who is on record denying her faith by the way)
                  An honest and decent woman!

1. profile image0

I guess you missed the word heaven in the title. It was a short sentence and i thought you might have perceived this short sentence correctly. The key word is heaven, which most people, except you apparently, would naturally think... oh a christian thread... CHRISTIAN... so your mooing post about non christian theology is really completely out of place in a thread that to 99.9% of the hub community and the world maybe even, is markedly Christian oriented.
                    Do you talk of gardening in the car mechanics forum lol hilarious stuff!

3. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

If the afterlife is so wonderful, why do we mourn death?  Why is suicide a mortal sin?  Why do we punish those who kill?  We should all embrace death, pray for it, celebrate it, and rejoice when people die because they are now in a better place.  It doesn't make sense, and it never will.

I guess if it were true, their would be no people left!

I imagine ALL parents would be baptizing their children then "sending them to god" as one American religionist did recently to save them from this life's miseries.

1. profile image0

Eternal motivations lead to a good life in the here and now. It's not checking out of reality, but checking into reality.

Ahhh. The evidence that the "church" is as mystified about it as the rest of us...except those few who are so sure that something in this universe actually ceases to exist.  " How can you understand heavenly things, when you can't even understand earthly things?" Physical science will tell you that everything gets re-cycled. Your body falls to dust, but it remains. You dehydrate, yet your water remains...two out of three says the real you is hangin' around here somewhere! Hmmm...under a rock? Could be. Where the heck are you after you die? I know where you were before birth, conception. Could the secret lie in that squiggly little double helix? Long journey, if so.

1. profile image0

Wow! All the great forum skeptics are here! Earnestshub, Cagsil, Beelzedad, Recommend1, Disturbia, Druid Dude, and everyone else I didn't mention. Hey, again, I am mentioning a truth. We are all motivated by some kind of reward. Yes, there are those momentary lapses when we do things out of just pure love for someone. But even that doesn't last unless there is an eternal motivation. God's love is eternal and very motivating. Why do you look at God as some evil dictator in heaven? Why the unbelief?

Perhaps, but the rewards you are looking for are entirely self-centered as everything you do in this life is motivated for that reward.

How sad it is for anyone to believe that, but it would stand to reason if all you're interested in is rewarding yourself.

Because, that is exactly how he acts. smile

"How sad it is for anyone to believe that, but it would stand to reason if all you're interested in is rewarding yourself."

As if you're not.

I believe someone is attempting to act righteous and holier than others.

Even considering his disbelief...

smile

I can only answer for myself, but may not, as I have been on these threads for almost 3 years now and it is old hat.

You have ignored the point I made about your assumptive title.

1. profile image0

I am making the assumption that God exists just as you have made the assumption that God doesn't exist. It's all a step of faith. Also, we live in America and I have the right to post and get people riled up. It makes for  good forum discussion or rant; however, you want to look at it. Neutral positions make for crappy debate. Extreme positions cause the best and even the worse to come out of people. I believe in my position. Just as you believe in your position. Is that wrong? Can you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am wrong in my forum statement? You gave and are giving your opinion. That's all.

Yes, but you would have to use that argument for everything that was invisible, for example, one makes the assumption leprechauns exist and one makes the assumption they don't exist.

In both cases, the one who makes the assumption that something does in fact exist must demonstrate their assumption is valid.

Faith then becomes useless as a tool for demonstration purposes.

smile

No one needs to demonstrate anything.

Faith is exactly the opposite of proof.

If you want proof, search for yourself, and quit expecting others to give you handouts.

Just because I say there is gold in California does not mean I need to prove it to you.

The gold is there. If you want proof, go look yourself.

smile

3. Cagsil profile image71

Mentioning truth? You'd be lucky if you actually knew a truth or could see past yourself long enough to recognize a truth.
            Actually, you'd be wrong. Not a surprise.

2. profile image0

The point of the afterlife is not to extinguish this life. Cessation in this life ends the work that God needs to do. No one lives up to Gods standards fully, especially the UNsaved, although they all think they do lol. Gods ways take a full lifetime to achieve which is a beautiful thing. To kill oneself is to end the work that God would do. And to end ones life to achieve the afterlife is mocking both God and yourself. How do you know you were good enough or that Gods work was finished. As far as this life teaches, if one dies before completion of a test paper the grade drops drastically. And again, killing yourself to live eternally is not loving God therefore breaking the number one commandment hence reduced reward - oh yah.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Everyone is motivated by reward? That's broad(inclusive).

Apparently, YOU are motivated by reward, but I cannot agree that everyone is motivated by reward. I actually happen to know quite a few people who are motivated by Love(including me).

Therefore, it becomes apparent that you've not a clue about what you talk about in the first place.

Please, go learn something would you? hmm

Well, rip my britches! I would have thought you were from that group that believes love is nothing more than chemical reactions in the brain. See? It's not so hard to harbor personal delusions. God lives just around the corner from love. Comes over on Saturdays (7 th day, and all) and swims in the pool.

1. Cagsil profile image71

Love is the only spirituality required for living life. Nothing else, with regards, to spirituality is needed/required. As for the invitation, I'll pass.

BY DINGIES! GIVE THAT MAN A BIG FAT STOGIE. I've been fishin' around you how many months? But there is more to the story. Betcha can't geuss what it is, Cag. It is all man, back along the path we've come, and as far into the future as the eye can see. (A LOT FURTHER THAN YOU THINK.)  Peace , Cag. Love ya, man

1. Cagsil profile image71

When you can see peace and have the insight to understand the lowest component required to achieve it, let me know. Until then, please do not attempt to claim I am of a closed mind. That would be your second mistake. Your first one would be underestimating my ability.

2. profile image0

oh the love. lol

5. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

It's simple enough. Don't confuse myth with reality and you have it in one!

Down some MMDA then let me know how you see it afterwards. smile

1. profile image0

Aloha everyone.

6. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Remember the thread I started entitled "Who tempted Satan"?  No believer ever gave a realistic answer, as far as I know! The bible is merely a Greek pulp fiction type book based on the mythical characters of Moses and Jesus, among others.  That's all! smile

Exactly!

Religious loons have ruined the politics in countries such as America resulting in a country where few are able to express disbelief and keep their jobs!

I have noticed that the less educated they are the louder they bellow. smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Less education is no doubt a requirement, Earnest!  smile

1. profile image0

I guess the more educated ones rant.

No, the more educated ones don't source their beliefs from 2,000 year old man made myths. smile

1. Jerami profile image58
              Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which books do the more educated ones sourse their beliefs from?  Pray tell!

Are you serious? Like many others, I have read literally thousands of books, I have all of Jung and the important post Jungians, hundreds of other books relating to the human condition.

I have read hundreds of books on science, medicine, brain chemistry, religion, engineering, nanotechnology, sentient life forms.... if it is interesting I read about it.

My granddaughter at fourteen has also read hundreds of books on various subjects, She reads on the bus going to school as well.

No single lens is illuminating, so many things can be related and assessed when we read widely, the empirical evidence is stacked up by broadening what we understand, which is why scientific theory has to withstand exposure to all the other related disciplines to be considered a valid theory.
                This applies with most things. Most good motocross riders know a fair bit about metallurgy, hydraulics, gas flow and unfortunately ... gravity! smile

All starts in the mind, even religion. smile

Yes I was serious,   Not!    kinda ?

Point is ....   we all get our beliefs from a book or books.

And we selectively chose which books that we agree with.

But anyone jumping a 20' wide gully, and don't make it, discovers all that they need to know about gravity whether they have ever read a book about it or not.

Yep; that was a serious question;    NOT?

From anything more than one source would be more intelligent don't you think? smile

Yep,  I agree!    I have read many book in my life time.
                  Any more,  with my eyesight ...    more than 15 minutes puts me to sleep.

Edit  ..  I have to come back and insert a f and a s quite often cause I have a lazy f and s on the key board,  so when I miss it; please orgive me.   Just cause you can if YA want to. 
                  see it happened again.  Oh well

7. secularist10 profile image61
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

"Man is motivated by reward."

Not exactly. Man is motivated by a number of things; sometimes one is motivated by a reward for themselves, sometimes a reward for someone else, sometimes not a reward at all, but rather just an instinctual urge.

"Being motivated by heavenly rewards keeps us unselfish and loving on earth."

Incorrect. The desire for a heavenly reward for oneself makes one selfish--precisely because it is a heavenly reward that will accrue to oneself. In other words, one is pursuing whatever goal on earth for selfish purposes. Thus, one is fundamentally selfish.

"Heavens blessings are inexhaustible."

This is simply an opinion.

"Earthly reward systems breed competition, jealousy, and selfishness."

As we have now seen, heavenly reward systems can also easily breed competition, jealousy and selfishness. Moreover, not all earthly reward systems breed these things. For instance, capitalist economic systems obviously rely on competition and selfishness, but capitalist countries also have a high degree of cooperation and unselfishness in them. Families cooperate with each other, people give to charity all over the capitalist world, etc.

8. Spirit Whisperer profile image74
    Spirit Whispererposted 12 years ago

Believing something doesn't make it true. No matter how many people share a belief it still doesn't make it true. Everyone once believed the world was round and they even burned people at the stake for even questioning that belief. While it is fun to share beliefs it is strange to imagine that beliefs are facts. When people talk about their beliefs as if they are facts then you have a serious problem!

9. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

OP ...    Life is one big test for future reward in heaven.

ME

Many Christians believe that "If we live life correctly then we are rewarded with an afterlife".

First off ...  That sounds as if our spiritual everlasting soul comes into being when our Moma gave birth to this physical body. ???   This would mean that our Moma is the creator of souls wouldn't it? 
       That question isn't as shallow minded as some would want Ya to think!
       But come on with the one liners.

Another popular term ...  "The After Life". 
    That makes it sound as if this physical life Was, Is, and is going to be the Main Event.
       I think that the WAS and the Going To Be is the Main event!
    And "This" experience is the after and the before which is truly of little consequence. That is; if we can look at this life from a broader point of view.

I do believe in that which has come to be called God.
    And when this physical body dies, the life force that was within it, will return from where it came.

Sooo   If this God chooses to shorten the party for a few million people, bringing those life forces home early ; and who are we to say if it was early?   So !

A proper balance between birth and death has to remain constant, you would think?  Wouldn't YA.
        IF nobody ever died ........?
        ....  after some point in time;  there would have to be an end of coming into being;  just because we do not go back to where we came from.  Now that is selfish if Ya think about it? The end of the state of becoming.  Cause nobody wants the cycle to continue.
      Now that would be sad.

Why is it that nobody want to comment on the simplest of statements which require simple answers?

If we can not over intelectualize something;  we don't know what to do with it?   ....   run or your lie!   

I there is nothing to argue about?   I don't want to discuss it!!!!!!    period !

Ask yourself  "WHY?"

There is no real argument here.  The life-force is only energy and is part of the energy that we see or recognise as matter or physical things.  Of course we go back in the pot, and of course we can then become a part other things as the Buddhists believe, everything is recycled, that is the nature of energy and matter.

Thinking that the self is more important than any other part of the universe of energy and matter is so patently ridiculous I can't even be bothered to laugh.

I have to agree.   I laffed for a long time.  but in old age we run out of air.   Much easier just to contimplate ....  In the 60s it was our navel that we contimplated,  ha!   then we move onto more serious things.  Then;   when we become even more out of breath we discover that there never was anything more serious than our navel.

I think you have it young Jerami !

Thank you. 

We are never so confused than when we are full of ourselves.

This also causes constipation and hemeroids...   I think!  but I have no verafiable proof.

It gotta be written someplace in some book though; I would think;  cause it just sounds so true.   At least to me.

This is kinda written in many eastern paths to self enlightenment  that I will distort a little here : It is basically a way to the realization of our place in the universe where we are unique and beautiful but unimportant to anyone or anything, except to ourselves big_smile

The religionists do kinda the same thing except they think they are more important than the whole universe and dissapear up their own rear-ends.

That is funny,   sad;  but funny, and true! ... except that this is a human trait that we are all born with.   An obsticle that we are suposed to overcome and not embrace.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)