What is your Idea About women's Weight Training?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Fitness Fitness profile image66
    Fitness Fitnessposted 12 years ago

Still there is a notion worldwide that women must not train with weights. The idea is very much prevalent in countries like India. Though I think that this idea is wrong, still I want a frankexchange of opinions on this topic. Can a woman can be bautyful and strong at the same time? What is your notion about beauty of women? Do you like women to build muscles?

All these questions lead to the final one..do you suggest women to take up hard weight training??

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is nonsense.  Of course women can weight train and be beautiful. I have been using weights for 30 years and as a result I'm now in my 50s, not only is my body firm and toned, i feel great, and I look years younger than my age.  Women who workout and weight train not only look better but are more healthy and have better bones. There is no reason why any woman shouldn't weight train.  I'm not sure what you mean by "hard" weight training, but women just don't have the muscle mass that men do, so as a rule, they don't get the gigantic muscles that everyone is afraid of.  Fit always looks better than flab.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61
      Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love weight training. It's very important for all women to do weight training. It will not cause women to be muscular.

2. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

As a qualified fitness instructor i've only really come across a few women who think weight training will make thnem "butch" and muscular.

People can be styrong without having big muscles and women have a general pre disposition to not pack on large amounts of muscle

I have a friend who is an IFBB pro and she is very feminine looking

Beauty is relative to the person. I love to see a women who is toned and phsyically fit however you don't have to be muscular to be fit!

3. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 12 years ago

I've been in the field of physical fitness for more than 45 yrs.

I owned 2 gyms, was a personal trainer long before one had to pass a course and get licensed, and I competed in both natural bodybuilding and powerlifting and I'm still doing it in my late 60's.

The only real difference between the male and female body is that men are loaded with "testosterone," which is an androgenic hormone that simply makes men masculine and able to develop heavy muscle tissue.

Of course the ladies do have small amounts of testosterone but they are loaded with a hormone called estrogen which simply put makes a woman a woman.

There is no reason why a woman shouldn't workout with weights and do the same exercises men do.

When a womans body is toned and feminely muscled, she epitomizes beauty and radiates good health!

I have worked out with women who "shoot-up" androgenic drugs and want to develop large muscles and power, They become hirsute, their voices deepen, their jaws widen and they do make the kinds of gains they want, but they sacrifice their femininity in so doing.

If you ladies want to workout with weights, go for it. Muscle building will be slow.

It all depends upon what you seek as results, what the end result will be.

Let me offer a little advice. Dumbell workouts for the upper body! Squats, lunges, leg press, thigh extensions and curls for the legs.

Don't forget to do deadlifts to keep the muscles that support the spine strong and to maintain great posture.

Circuit training is also excellent!

But remember that diet is the most important factor in gaining and remaining in great physical condition.

Go for it ladies...smile:

Qwark

4. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I started seriously working out four years ago, when I turned 50 and joined a group that I've been with since (now almost 55). My original intention was just to stay healthy and get stronger as I grew older. I love weight training. I feel great, I love my muscles and love how I feel strong and confident. That's the key, feeling confident, healthy and strong. There is no reason for women NOT to be able to weight train.

5. Happyboomernurse profile image83
    Happyboomernurseposted 12 years ago

You rock, Danette, and are doing what public health officials recommend in order to maintain strong and healthy muscles and bones. This in turn prevents falls and injuries as one gets older.
    I don't do weight training but know I should. It's something that all women, especially those who are in menopause or beyond should do (provided they don't have any medical conditions that would make it dangerous to their health.)
    Women who work out with weights several times a week do not generally get bulging muscles, they generally just tone and strengthen their muscles and look more fit and beautiful than women who don't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)