Amazon Products

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. smanty profile image59
    smantyposted 12 years ago

This is just a quick question that I was sort of curious about because I have not earned anything from Amazon products. I was curious as to how many views you generally receive before you see a purchase from amazon through one of your links?

Thanks!

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been here six weeks and have seen nada from Amazon so far, but to be honest, I'm not really expecting to see much from it. It's a nice idea in theory that a reader will be so moved by my articles on the "Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus" movie or any of the CD's I've reviewed that they'll order a copy immediately based on my recommendation, but realistically that's not very likely to happen.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, but that is exactly the kind of hub that I think sells best on Amazon.

Consider though; out of 100 readers perhaps 10 will click on an Amazon ad if you have written the hub with the idea of getting readers that are actually interested in buying and are effective in convincing them to buy.  Even then perhaps 5% of those clickers will actually buy it.  It's a numbers game that requires high numbers of readers to make many sales.

2. stuff4you profile image57
      stuff4youposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of the problems with Amazon Affiliate marketing is that the cookie only lasts 24 hours - however they can buy ANY kind of product within that time.

hub pages keeps about half of your earnings with amazon, keep this in mind.

the commission rate for amazon products is too low.
      I didn't read all responses some people probably already made these points.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

There are too many factors involved. Some people have conversion rate(or did before HP made specialized changes) of between 4-8% or higher, depending on the products.

It varies, due to the written content. Some products, your earnings cannot go above a certain commission amount percentage and on some it continues to rise.

If you write for buyers who are actually looking to buy, then you might have a good conversion rate.

If you write for lookers who will buy when something of value appears, then you might have a good conversion rate.

It depends on your consumer and targeted market? To be honest, it takes time, energy and analysis of your own writing to see what works for you. smile

Hope that helps.

3. transinata profile image60
    transinataposted 12 years ago

I got 800 clicked but non of those are buying....

http://tinypic.zzl.org/imgs/signature_image1.jpg

If you actually have 800 Amazon clicks with no purchases you have a major problem.

Do you mean 800 visits with no purchases?  That would not be unsual, particularly considering that your are fairly new and probably don't have a lot of organic traffic yet.  Hubbers will read your hubs, but don't buy.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is similar to what I was referring to with my Amazon queries in the other thread, Wilderness.  Something is screwed up with the Amazon sales here.  I'll bet I am not the only person concerned with the Amazon click/sales rate lately.

Thousands of clicks with little or no sales should ring a bell somewhere.

I doubt it Randy.  Two months old, 11 hubs - I highly doubt that there were 800 clicks.  800 readers seems reasonable, but not 800 clicks.

I know what you're talking about, though.  I ended last month with 2 unshipped orders - they still haven't shipped and I doubt they ever will.  Not a big thing to me as they totaled maybe $25 purchase price, but it does make ya wonder.

I've also seen my conversion rate go down - it's about half what it was in March.  I haven't seen anything from Amazon that they've changed any policies, so not sure what it could be.  HP has to assign a code at the time of click, not sales, so don't see how it can come from here - Amazon is the only place that could change the conversion rate like this.

I was actually referencing my own case too, Wilderness.  And the hub I was talking about has sold several $650+ items in the past, one last month which has seemingly disappeared similar to one $750+ item not long ago.  I checked and the items were in stock but were never shipped.  Normally these items are sent out almost immediately because of the particular need for them.

This is my peak selling period for many of my hubs so you can see why I am ticked off.  There are also many smaller related items I usually sell regularly and with the increase in traffic i should be selling more instead of none at all.  I will get to the bottom of this I'll bet.  I pity the fool(s) who is involved in any of this shady business!  smile

Oh, I complete understand your concern and irritation.  The loss of even my little $25 sale is irritating (doubly so as it could well result in remaining at 4% instead of 6%) and it is nowhere the class yours is in.

I still don't see any way that HP can take a sale from you.  A click maybe, but not a sale after the associated click has been assigned to you.  Amazon could do it easily enough, but not HP.

I'm not necessarily blaming HP for this particular screw up.  It would be interesting to know if they have sold anything on their time, though.  It just doesn't make much sense to me at this point in time.  More views=less sales?

4. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

What Cagsil said.

In addition, a quick scan of your hubs did not reveal any dedicated to pushing a product.  Most successful Amazon sellers write hubs dedicated to promoting a particular product or family of products; a sales hub designed to advertise a product with a link to where it can be purchased.  A product review, for instance.  Simply throwing an Amazon capsule into an information hub will probably not result in sales.

That was pre-Panda, of course.  Any product hubs now seem to be badly overshadowed in the SERPs by big box names actually selling the product.  A different technique may be required now.

I had my highest sales month in March, following the Panda slap. April and May was okay too.  June is almost nothing with increased views on my best sales hubs.  Does not compute!  smile

1. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am like you Randy, had an excellent Mar, good April and good May. June has started very slowly, still seeing high numbers but conversion is well down.
        Could it be the holiday season, Americans with less money to spend or something to do with Hp's.

I cannot believe this because this is the start of the peaking season for my most visited hubs.  I'm getting more views to one of my most lucrative hubs, which even did well in the off season, but has not sold anything although it gets lots of exposure and questions this time of year.

It also has sold some rather expensive items which bring in a nice commission.  I've read some complaints about Amazon stealing sales and now I wonder if it is true.  I'm getting more Amazon clicks now, but way less sales than in the last 3 months.

Perhaps it will pick up and I may be complaining for nothing.  Losing 2 high dollar sales with no explanation for their disappearance has me a little grouchy.  Hubpages staff aren't any help at all on these types of things either.  They don't want us to know know how much they sell on our hubs.  smile

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Cagsil and Wilderness speak the truth!

My conversion rate of Amazon clicks to orders is 3% to 4% so fits pretty much with Cagsil's comment.  I have not had any big value items sold yet, just small ones, and some of them were from sites I have other than HP, but I live in hope!  hehe!

Susana S writes a v good guide to amazon sales, but even she was hit hard by panda, I believe.

1. smanty profile image59
      smantyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How would you know if someone visited the ad that you placed? Would I be able to see it on the amazon associates site?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Smanty, Amazon tracks clicks and if purchases are made, then you'll find out what product was made and your commission for it.

You won't know any other way, that I know of. wink

Partially true.  Amazon tracks the number of clicks, but not where they came from.  It also reports which products were sold, but I find that most products were not ones I provided a link for and therefore I can't tell where the click originated.

Smanty, google analytics will tell you how many visits each hub gets (so will Hp statistics) but that is close as you can get to knowing which hub or link actually produced a sale.

1. Cagsil profile image71
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did I say that it tracks what hub they come from. I just realize I made a typo in my post, but Amazon does track the clicks and purchases. The likelihood you'll have the same product on more than one hub? Is how likely?
            Correct, it will tell you what product. Which is what I meant to say.

6. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I do very well with Amazon products; much better than adsense and hp ad.
    I'm not going to tell which ones are earning for me but it really does depend on the topic..roll

7. arizonataylor profile image79
    arizonataylorposted 12 years ago

I have 158 clicks on Amazon this month and 8 purchases.  That's pretty typical for my sales, perhaps a little better than it has been post panda.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)