Tax evaders should be sent to workhouses!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. KyleBear profile image57
    KyleBearposted 12 years ago

Tax evasion is a numbers game. Let's take the hypothetical example of a braying young aristocrat who has an unearned income of £100,000 per year, this money being accrued through an offshore trust fund that his over-privileged mummy and daddy set up for him when he was born.

Now, let's say this indolent young nobleman resents paying the 28% capital gains tax due when repatriating the money back into the UK and decides to consult a corrupt tax accountant to see what measures he might take to jew Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs out of the money he would owe them.

That accountant is likely to advise the slippery young gent to divide his trust fund income between 10 separate tax dodges, with each caper laundering £10,000 each. By doing this, if the taxman did stumble across one of these wheezes and the tax-dodging toff is duly prosecuted, as a punishment he would have to pay the tax on the £10,000: £2,800, plus a fine equivalent to that amount, so a total of £5,600.

However, our upper-class fraudster would not be too bothered by this penalty because he would still be saving the tax due on the remaining £90,000 – that is £25,200 - and would, therefore, be £19,600 better off overall as the result of his portfolio of tax evasion schemes.

Now, on an apparently unrelated issue, manufacturing companies in the West find it difficult to compete on cost with rival firms based in emerging economies such as India because these countries tolerate child labour, have no minimum wage and impose very few health and safety regulations on employers.

We could punish tax evaders more effectively and help our manufacturing industry out at the same time by sending convicted tax evaders to secure workhouses run by manufacturing companies. These firms would pay the inmates £2.65 per day, equivalent to the average pay of a production worker in India , and these wages would be forwarded directly to the government to pay off the offenders' fines.

So, in return for providing rudimentary accommodation (a sleeping mat next to the machinery would be more than sufficient for these creative-accounting criminals) and basic meals (insipid gruels and stale bread would be more than these tax-fiddling felons deserve), the workhouse owners would have a workforce that they could pay the same as their third world competitors.

Meanwhile, an important message would be sent to wealthy individuals who believe that they are entitled to benefit from the country's publicly-funded infrastructure without contributing to the cost of it and that message would be: "You are a dirty, cheating scumbag and if we catch you fiddling your taxes you will be dealt with like the lowlife criminal that you are."

Tax evasion is not a victimless crime: if rich tax-evaders paid their dues we'd all benefit from better public services or pay lower taxes, or both, and that's why tax evaders should be sent to workhouses.

What do you guys think? Anyone agree with me on this?

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Tax evaders are heroes.

Taxes are theft, and thus evading them is an act of heroism.

Money spent by government is NOT charity.

1. KyleBear profile image57
      KyleBearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And the government will run on what?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

who needs a government?

2. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No of course it isn't charity, it's good hard cash creating jobs be they police or road builders or even just government workers.
      It also provides lots of work in private enterprises.

Hey!! I know how we can create jobs!!!

Hear me out, just go with it...

Ok, so... first, I'll buy a gun... ok? got it? still with me?

Ok, then you guys all give me your money, or else I shoot you or put you in jail! ... still got it? We all good?

Ok, then I'll take the money and give it to some people to protect me from you guys when you try to murder me for taking your money!!!! Got that? still with me? sound good?

I SWEAR I won't use this power for personal gain!! I PROMISE!!

... sound good?

1. TMMason profile image61
          TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you running in 2012?

Ron Paul is!

2. John Holden profile image60

Evan, you're getting confused.
          That's big business you're talking about there.

I don't think i've ever had a threat of jail time imposed on me by a company.

... so..

No, I think you're confused.

1. John Holden profile image60

At least the government feeds you. Big business cuts you off you'll sometimes think prison would be better.
              No home, no car, no food, beyond what you find, no gas, no electricity.

The confusion is back in your court Evan.

THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T FEED ME!!!

In fact, every attempt by the government to feed their people has led to starvation. Ask the Soviets and the Chinese. (And while your at it, ask them why their government used starvation as a political tool!)

I don't go to the "Federal Food Distribution Center" to get food, I go to Giant Eagle, Kroger, and Meijers (chains in the US). And when I'm there, I don't look for "Government Produced Food Product", I buy stuff from thousands upon thousands of independently owned companies competing with one another to a share of my food budget each week.

John, you know better than to say such incorrect remarks. I'll forgive you on this one. Just don't let it happen again.

1. John Holden profile image60

What, you mean prisoners aren't fed? 
                  Or are you drawing attention to the fact that the prisons are actually private businesses?

... so when you said:

"At least the government feeds you."

... you meant "after I refuse to let them steal my money, and they arrest me and take away all my freedom at the point of a gun and throw me in a jail".

Oh ok.

Yeah, the US government will feed me after stripping me of all my freedom...

... so long as I'm not considered an enemy of the state...

Anyway, thanks for clearing up that "people usually get fed while in prison". That really takes the edge off of "having all your rights stripped of you".

3. KyleBear profile image57
          KyleBearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That isn't a very good analogy. How is it gonna be fair to the people who pay their full amount?

taxes aren't fair to anyone, that's the point.

Why the hell does everyone around me get to vote on how to spend my money?

The only fair tax is 0%.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
              Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What ever you've been drinking, send me a case!

3. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Big business aside, consider that the jails are not big enough...lololol

like we all have not fumbled the numbers at times?

probly 80% of the population I'd say. Not just business, and advisory CPA's

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

There was a day when we had debtors prison in this world. And it was not a good thing.

5. aguasilver profile image69
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Income tax is wrong, put all tax on purchase/consumption and everyone pays, the rich can pay less by using less or buying basic (low cost/taxed) items and the poor man can buy luxury if he can afford it.

Tax was introduced to pay for war initially, once the King realised that it was costing him personally to hold onto power.

Currently you are a slave to a corrupt government regime controlled by the richest elite families of the world, 300 of them to be precise, and you have bought into the lie that keeps them in power, control of the money supply and taxation.

You pay over 80% of your income in taxation, direct and indirect, and you pay it to keep the rich elite as your masters over you.

Watch these videos, then think again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlsnrljR14

1. cindi h profile image61
      cindi hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

aguasilver  very interesting video  so is this:

building permit tax
      CDL license tax
      cigarette  tax
      corporate income tax
      dog license tax
      excise tax
      federal income tax
      federal unemployment tax
      fishing license tax
      food license tax
      gas tax
      gross receipts tax
      hunting license tax
      inheritance tax
      inventory tax
      irs interest and penalties  tax on tax
      liquor tax
      luxury tax
      marriage license tax
      medicare tax
      personal property tax
      real estate tax
      service charge tax
      social security tax
      road usage tax
      sales tax
      recreational vehicle tax
      school tax
      state income tax
      state unemployment tax
      tangible taxes
      telephone taxes:
         federal excise
         universal service fee tax
        federal state and local surcharge tax
        minimum usage surcharge tax
        re-curring and non-recurring charges tax
        state and local tax
         usage tax
      utility tax
      vehicle license registration tax
      vehicle sales tax
      watercraft reg. tax
      well permit tax
      workers comp tax

++ NOT ONE OF THESE TAXES EXISTED 100 YEARS AGO AND OUR NATION WAS THE MOST PROSPEROUS IN THE WORLD.

WE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO NATIONAL DEBT, HAD THE LARGEST MIDDLE CLASS IN THE WORLD AND MOMS STAYED HOME TO RAISE THE KIDS!!!

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???    ANSWER: POLITICIANS

1. aguasilver profile image69
        aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, that is a staggering list of taxation designed to fleece your citizens, I am delighted to be exempt from any of them!

Yes, that video is powerful, pity more folk do not watch it, and the rest of the series.

6. cindi h profile image61
    cindi hposted 12 years ago

THE RICH DON'T GET RICH BY MAKING MONEY--THEY GET RICH BY NOT PAYING TAXES!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)