To Hub Or Not to Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years ago

I first signed up 5 weeks ago and roughly published my first hub one week ago followed by 3 others. Some are brief and all do vary.

Now having browsed around & reading various hubs & noting scores I feel stumped. Initially this was a place of interest to 'express' myself. I now find it a 'competitive' hothouse,& are left with the feeling of -"Not good enough."

Having many professionals & scholars to compete with. I am self-educated, creative writing was a plus in my early school years.

However this is not what I had envisioned. There is an overlap in the level of skill in many people.

Perhaps hubpages should only be for the "Elite."

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No Hubpages is for everybody. The more you write the better you will become.
      I had a look at the your hubs, and yeah they are too short in the main. Try to aim for at least 700 words and cover a topic you know well.
      You 'Grammar' hub is far too short, and has three spelling errors which is not a good thing if you write about grammar.
      Why do you have so many blocks of text bolded throughout your hubs? Any particular reason?
      Oh and welcome to Hubpages smile

2. CaravanHolidays profile image60
      CaravanHolidaysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've read your hubs and although I'm no expert there's nothing wrong with them at all - quite interesting in fact.  Don't put yourself down - most hubbers start from the same place, which is 'nowhere'.  You mention scholars - although it is good to read from someone who knows what they are talking about it can also be boring - don't worry about not being an expert, but try to make your hubs more engaging than the experts' and your hubs will be better than theirs.

2. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years ago

Hi all, thanks for your feed back I do appreciate it.

1. qwark profile image62
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marie:

Thanks for becoming a follower (friend.) smile:

I usually read a hub written by a new friend but you have none to read.. smile:

Soooooo...I'll just say thanks and have a great life.

Qwark

1. profile image0
        Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reading your profile - 'misfit' you call your self?  - You just snubbed me twice now- Your no 'misfit' - You are a conceited  & 'bigoted' imop...
        Spiritual?? Noway - "spirituality DoesNot Judge the way that you do,....
        Quark examine your Ego...

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably not the best way to make friends and influence people.

Honestly, everyone on the forums has their own personality and some take more getting used to than others.  If you have a thin skin, writing isn't for you.  Not just writing on hubpages, writing anywhere. 

And there really isn't elitism here, just a group of extremely creative and *sometimes* socially awkward writers. 

Calm down, and thicken your skin a little (quark is actually one of our milder members, just saying).  If you take everything personally you will just needlessly get your feelings hurt.

1. qwark profile image62

Mellisa:

Thank you!

The only response to Marie was a "thank you" response for her becoming a follower (friend.)

I always read a hub by a new follower, but she had only 2 and neither interested me.

I don't know what to say...lol except "well gollllly!"

Qwark

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
              Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe there was no immediate follow back.

1. qwark profile image62

Hi Mark:
                ...beats me!
                I never 'snub" any responder unless their responses are to me, ridiculous. Even then I may respond and let them know my intention to "snub" them.
                I have a list of hubbers whom I think never offer anything credible or worthy of considering...so I just don't pay any attention to them at all.
                So, I don't know where Marie is coming from...???
                Qwark hmm:

*shrugs* In my younger years, the "have a nice life" comment would have probably made me cry.  That was before editors, children, husbands and all the other things that toughen us up. Back then I had time for a low self esteem.  Now I have that ***k it attitude that comes with realizing how big the big things are and how small the little things are in comparison.

1. qwark profile image62

Melissa:

lol ...a ***k it attitude is just about my attitude too...smile:

Qwark

2. qwark profile image62

Hi Marie:

What did I do? smile: I have never gotten a response like this.???

My "thank you" for becoming a follower (friend) was the first time I'd ever responded to you.

Pls tell me how I "...snubbed you..." I try never to "snub" anyone. It's not my "style." Will you pls post why you think I "snubbed" you.

You only had 2 "hubs" for me to read and neither, subjectively, was of interest to me. Was that considered to be a "snub?"

I think you may have confused me with someone else.

Pls reply.  Thanks.  smile:

Qwark

1. profile image0

I just got this message a whole night has passed here on this side of the world anyway...

I do feel that you rejected me, simple as that.  Though I think we should just move on from here... In reply to Melisam- "writing' is Me, Has Been ALL My Life. Sensitive - Yes. Creative - "VERY".  Have a Nice Day all and I leave you with the "F---K It" Attitude... wink

1. qwark profile image62

Marie:

Well, well!  With your small minded "f**k" it attitude, I'll remove you from my "friend." list.

You could have explained why you thought you had been "snubbed" but decided not to and take out your childish anger on Melissa!

Yes lol, we will "just move along.

tsk, tsk...hmm:

Qwark

Wait! What?

LMAO, that so wasn't anger... The two year old that wants my coffee and can't understand why I wont let her have it... THAT'S anger.
                I actually thought her post was awesome.  Of course you were probably being facetious, in which case... **** it and **** *** ***

Ha!

Anyway, yes I am a scholar and an expert.  My latest 500 word masterpiece on the Wuzzles alone should prove that!

1. qwark profile image62

Ok Mellisa: lol... mox nix!

Qwark

3. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Don't let it get you down, Marie. Your hubs are fine. Welcome to hubbys.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If you just want to express yourself, just express yourself.  What other people do here doesn't need to affect you....

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

OK so he is only speaking his mind, but why on Earth did Quark have to say, and I quote,"I usually read a hub written by a new friend but you have none to read.. :"?

He later clarifies that there were 2 hubs, neither of which held his interest, which is fair enough...after all, this is the extreme makeover forum, but then wonders why Marie-Anne felt hurt enough to attack him?

A little bit of sensitivity, people, please. We have a new hubber here who may well feel a burning desire to leave before they have reached their full potential.

And that would be a shame for all of us if that happened.

1. qwark profile image62

Hahaha....well, if I remember, when I went to her profile page, I didn't see any hubs..and I've got 20/15 vision.
      Regardless, that was the first time I'd heard of her and the first time I ever responded to her...hmm:
      I think my past record of over 5000 posts in the forums and only 2-3...3 day bans, speaks volumes about my respect for other forum members.
      There was no intent to "snub" Marie, only an honest effort to thank her for becoming a new "friend" and to read a hub of interest...there were none.
      lol What can I say?
      Qwark

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

You have a very valid point Izzy.  Honestly though, her initial post was a little offensive and I believe that Qwarks was about on par with attitude.  It would be a shame if the OP left, I agree.  However, over-sensitivity is not exactly a survival trait on the forums, any forums really.  And if that statement would cause her to leave, realistically, she is not going to be able to deal with these forums.  There are plenty of people that write but don't post though.

1. qwark profile image62

Hi Melissa: smile:

If I intend to "snub" someone, they will know it in no uncertain terms.

I am not bashful, nor am I going to use "politically correct"
        expressions. smile:

I've alway been blunt, honest and direct in my responses.

If my responses are presumed to be offensive or snobish, that is the readers decision.

If I'm responding bluntly, honestly and sincerely and the reader is offended...tough! I'm not responsible for their reaction.

I'm just being blunt and honest...smile:

Qwark

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is obvious to anyone reading this thread that you did not mean to be offensive.

It's maybe a pity you didn't say in your initial response WHY you felt Marie-Anne had no hubs to read.

If I was new and had two hubs and someone said to me I had no hubs to read, I would be offended, but not if they clarified that by saying that the subject matter of my hubs held no interest for them.

Everyone is different.

I think in this forum you need to cast personal interests aside and just look at the layout and general readability of hubs, not the subject they are written on, so much.

1. qwark profile image62

Hi Izzy:

I appreciate your last response, but if someone decides to "follow" me (become a new friend) because they have read some of my "stuff," I ALWAYS honor their decision by thanking them and responding to one of their hubs, IF I find one that seems to interest me.
            When I went to Marie's profile, I responded to what I saw. I saw no hubs to read.
            If, somehow, some way missed them...my bad!
            I have never yet in my 2 yrs participating on hubpages, ever "snubbed" a new friend...NEVER!
            If Marie felt that I did, I'd like her to respond and exdplain her feeling to me and point out the "snubs."
            I haven't seen anything in print from her...yet.
            You and I are chatting when it should be her and me..????
            Anyway, until I know why, it's puzzling. hmm:
            Qwark

6. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Don't worry about teh scores, they do not really matter.

7. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hi Marie,

This is my two cents.

When I joined I started with cooking lessons...who wants to learn to cook on HP? NOBODY!!!!

I had to learn why HP exists, what is the main objective of HP, how HP works. That said I started reading hubs by Chuck, Patty English and some others. WOW!! I realized I had to pump up my writing so instead of 'COOKING LESSONS' I do recipes, that works.

I write what I know as IzzyM pointed out and I assure you I am getting better.

Here five months with a Hubberscore of 93 and total views over 8000

Might not be much, but hang in there and you will certainly make it!

Welcome to HP!!

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Point made and received: do we really need a pile on?

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

OMG us writers are so darn sensitive!!

10. skye2day profile image67
    skye2dayposted 12 years ago

Keep writing it gets better!! The only one that can make you feel, 'not good enough' is you. SO start believing in yourself.  You were sent to hp for a reason. I think every writer has thought, 'not good enough' you are ok . God makes no junk.  Do not take yourself to serious have fun with writing, write from your heart. Plan on growing in many ways. God Bless.

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

The OP should, maybe, do some Hub hopping for awhile.  Once she got a load of some of the stuff found when hopping, I doubt she'd worry about those "professionals" and "scholars" she's under the impression write on here..  lol

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You speak truth, Lisa! lol

12. skye2day profile image67
    skye2dayposted 12 years ago

Izzy you are too funny. I like your style.

13. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

FFS, everyone, calm down! lol

There.  Now, welcome Marie.  Don't take anything personally is the best advice that I have to offer.  I did when I first popped in because A) I'm a fairly sensitive person and B) I didn't understand some of the personalities.  Now that I've had a chance to get to know some of the folks here, I have a better understanding of how each operates.  Shoot, one of the hubbers I met early on who hurt my feelings terribly is one of my favorites with whom to banter now.

So, I'd say, write your heart out, and step back a little before you get upset.  In the end, if anyone irks you ignore them.  smile

Qwark, I keep meaning to ask...why a W instead of a U?

1. qwark profile image62

Motown:

Quark was taken.

I was going to use it because it described me and my relative value in the "grand-scheme-of-things."

A quark is too small to be seen, the universe is fulla them,it is of value but too tiny to be noticed and appreciated...on and on...etc.,etc...

So I tried Qwark and it worked.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aha - I've been wondering on and off, and every time I ran into you meant to ask, but kept forgetting.  smile  Thanks for the explanation.  It's pretty easy to feel really, really small in the grand scheme of things, huh?

1. qwark profile image62

Motown:

Yep!

Easy to "KNOW!" smile:

qWARK

14. Kristeen profile image70
    Kristeenposted 12 years ago

I am far from a professional writer. I am self taught. I love to write. When I started on here a little over a year ago, my scores weren't the greatest either, but I was encouraged mainly because so many people see what I write. I have a blog also, but it receivesno where near the traffic.If you want your writing to be seen keep hubbing. For me personally it has been a true blessing. I love to tell people about Jesus and here I know people who have never known Him are reading about the wonderful things He has done for all people. Keep hubbing!

15. celebritie profile image69
    celebritieposted 12 years ago

As a fellow writer once told me it is best to build your own box and play in it.

Because not everyone will want to play with the same toys you do.

As long as you can keep yourself entertained, those who appreciate what your doing will soon want to join you.

1. profile image0

Hubba Hubba!!!   wink :0

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)