On waiting for a man to act without being told

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Julia Chang profile image61
    Julia Changposted 12 years ago

Him: You gotta be completely obvious with guys, that's how we understand (what you need or want). Sorry to break that to you.

Her: Then I guess I should be a lesbian.

My opinion: I would want a guy to act on his hopes and desires without constantly having to tell him what I expect out of him. I enjoy spontaneity in a relationship, I think it's a huge part of romance. Why can't some men understand this without being told? A real woman would never be disappointed if a man acts with integrity.

1. profile image0
      dixie28714posted 12 years agoin reply to this

men are insecure... they are scared to disapoint so they just wait... good luck on finding a man to take charge and put his foot down and simply be a man.. I've yet to meet one of those.

1. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They exist--my husband is one.  Strong, secure, and wise, yet sensitive, loving, and giving...all wrapped up in one terrific man. 

Men aren't mind-readers--you have to talk to them(not harp at them), let them know if you need to talk, or need something done.  So what if, once in awhile, you have to ask more then once for a chore to be done--they're only human, like us, they are no more perfect than women are. smile

I've been married for almost 23 years, so I have figured a few things out when it comes to men, or, at least, my husband, lol. 

One is to never raise your voice--TALK things over--don't scream at each other, because that never accomplishes anything.

Another is to treat each other as well as you treat your friends--let HIM be your best friend, and I'll bet you'll become his in no time.

Okay--off my soapbox, but just wanted to try to help a little. big_smile

2. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sadly the guys that come on to you are usually the players. And the guys that you are describing say girls need to be obvious are usually the good ones. Maybe you should take his advice, its not always about what you like, although you can certainly find a man that will do what you want. Everyone is different and the more obvious girls are, the better it is for me.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

On waiting for a man to act without being told, its gonna be a long wait wink

3. Sarah Shepherd profile image60
    Sarah Shepherdposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is... I LOVE my husband of 4 years, but I'm lucky if something simple gets done around here without me having to ask and harp...

4. Julia Chang profile image61

Ha! And here I was hoping that maybe I was just dealing with the wrong kind of men!

5. Sparhawke profile image60
    Sparhawkeposted 12 years ago

Wow...you women really do not have a clue what you want do you from one day to the next? lol

First you want a strong man, then a sensitive man, then a considerate man, then a confident man, then a good looking man, then a geek, then a man with money, then a man with muscles, then a man who will take care of you, then a man who is a man...then a new man (whatever the hell that is) and then someone who will wash the dishes, then someone who can fix a car, and someone who can set the video, then someone who will hand you the remote control, then someone who will take charge...

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!!!!

When are you simply going to get on with making your minds up and telling us what you actually want?

No wonder we are all confused with the constant mixed messages, we men are easy...all we really want is someone who is not hard on the eye and who still has a pulse.

All women want is the moon, and the stars too.

~~~

Time was that we could get away with knowing basic plumbing and fixing the horse-cart...nowadays there is so much that we have to know around the house from plumbing to electrics to powertools to roofing to groundworks, to cooking to engines and cars to everything else that everything is prioritised for most of us.

The role of a woman, though granted it is full really has not changed that much in thousands of years whereas we are somehow expected to be experts in everything we touch.

We do not do well with multitasking and what you may think is important really is not. I do not care that a corner of the wallpaper is coming away from the wall or it has a bubble in it, and your mother is coming tomorrow. It really does not interest me in the least.

So long as electrics don't kill anyone I am happy.

Has it ever occured to you that we simply may not know what we are doing yet do not want or can not admit it?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol...really?....'someone who is not hard on the eye and who still has a pulse'   yikes  big_smile

1. Sparhawke profile image60
        Sparhawkeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pulse optional...

6. Julia Chang profile image61

Sparhawke, I agree some women can't make up their minds or change their minds too often. But the truth is, if women can handle multiple roles in life and do it successfully, then she should have high standards for her partner as well.

This is just from my personal view as I am mom & dad to two kids, a student, a part-time employee of two jobs, a friend, sister, aunt, etc. I juggle my roles well with great support from those around me, but it's been a challenge finding a guy to be a partner in this crazy life.

My experience has been he says he wants to be a part of it, but he never acts on his words. I think it's largely due to fear of failure, but how would a woman help him overcome that? There are no guarantees of success in life; it's what kind of effort one puts into it that makes it what it is. I have yet to find a man make that effort without being told what it is and how to do it.

1. Sparhawke profile image60
      Sparhawkeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, as I said in the edited post we men simply have so much that has crowded in on us over the last hundred years and we are supposed to know it all whereas women have been carrying the same role for thousands of years.

Women have a whole support network usually whereas all we have is competition and to admit that you do not know how to change a plug is a virtual social death sentence.

I do not know anything about cars, I cannot even change a tyre because I have never needed to, but there is no way I am ever admitting that outside to my peers.

I just wish sometimes a woman knew how to actually ask a man to do something...do not nag or rant, simply ask us to teach you how to do it.

We are not that bright and reverse psychology works like a dream on us.

7. Sparhawke profile image60
    Sparhawkeposted 12 years ago

About social settings, we as a group are terrified of them, they irritate the hell out of us yet some of us do try to push through it.

We evolved as hunters away from homebase who had to learn to shut the f*** up otherwise we would have a mammoth playing basketball with our heads therefore with a bunch of screaming kids and chaos we do not do well. Watch any barbeque setting in the world, the women will be playing with the kids and chatting with everyone and us men will be sorting out the food...role reversed nicely smile

I do not do well in social situations and can admit that, if you need a computer fixing or a world class dinner cooking I am your man, but social situations make me uncomfortable and it is the same for 99% of us.

Women evolved as social people though since they were in the homecamp pretty much most of the time.

~~

By the way, I do not respond well to hints and they go right over my head...for me to pick up on a hint it needs to be as subtle as a sledgehammer to my pinkie toes.

Most men are the same too, you may think that a comment will have been heard and it will be acted upon but it does not work like that, we are goal orientated, if you write down what needs to be done and what needs to be accomplished that week we can go through that list more easily.

You are thinking like a woman when you are coming up with these gripes, what you should be doing is figuring out how you would and what you would respond to if you were a man, not a woman. (And don't go for the old cliche, it never works)

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

yes, and I believe, truly, that men have their minds on everything other than what women want them to do.  It is no sweat for me to be direct and ask for what I want.  And I have learned that just doing what I think needs to be done and not waiting for direction has sometimes gotten me in trouble.  Can't believe I'm defending the guys, but I am on this one, because I really understand.  It's not a bad thing really, when you think of it, that they don't go ahead and mess things up!  usually.  In fact, I know women who believe they must stand over the guy and direct and watch whatever he does around the house or it will go wrong - probably that's wise, but irritating, to say the least.

9. Julia Chang profile image61

I'm not speaking of a man doing chores or the mundane little things that I can rely on a hundred other people to do. I'm speaking relationship-wise, I'd like to find a man who uses his brain to help the woman steer the course of the relationship.

Honestly, I hate making all decisions on my own. I know I can do it and do it well, but I prefer that my partner speak his opinion on the matter as well. I don't expect him to always have an opinion, but I'd like to feel as if I really am with someone in an adventure TOGETHER. I find, too often, that men prefer to leave the sailing of the ship to the women and refuse to contribute to creating a healthy, successful relationship.

I don't expect my men to know everything and do everything. I expect a man to learn things with me and work as a team. A team with players that contribute equally in different ways is, to me, the most desirable kind of relationship to have. We bring our diverse talents together to create a bigger, better dynamic...it's trying to find that man with the initiative to join in that is the problem.

Ah well, I always think my expectations are too high anyway! But I can't seem to bring myself to lower them. I will try if I need to though but that isn't how true happiness is found, is it?

1. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the only solution for this is to find a young boy, raise him, train him up to be your partner for yourself, and make him real grateful for all you do for him - I'm joking! but I expect there are people out there who do this. 

anyway, what can we do for you about this problem?  Nothing.  Maybe there's some way to use aversion behavior training on the poor schmuck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)