BRUTAL HONESTY - How can I improve as a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image49
    FelineFranceposted 12 years ago

I am honestly too scared of writing. I feel like my work would be boring to readers. Before, I begin writing anything, I can almost imagine all the criticism I will receive. Also, I am very scared of that, I prefer if I remained anonymous if my work were to be ever published.

1. Greg Sage profile image41
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1 Go ahead and remain anonymous for now

2 Pick something you really want to write about

3 Just do it

4 Get feedback

5 Repeat.

Seems to me you're in the right place for all these things.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I would suggest joining a writers group to get feedback.  Meetup.com has ones that meet in person and there are many online.

1. profile image49
      FelineFranceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank You very much.

3. Open Thoughts profile image59
    Open Thoughtsposted 12 years ago

If you cant write and post it publicly then continue to push yourself to do it for yourself as practice.  You have to write and write a lot to get good and just because you aren't publishing doesn't mean you cant become great. 

Also, when you write, take breaks and come back later to review and edit.  You may be surprised at what you missed in the first place.  Giving it time also allows you to complete thoughts in your head you may have forgotten in the first place.

Good luck, you'll do fine!

4. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

One nice thing about HubPages is that we/you are allowed to have more than one account here with different usernames - as long as you follow the Terms Of Service (and that's really not hard to do).

That means that (if you wished) you could conceivably write some articles as FelineFrance, get some honest feedback in the Extreme Hub Makeover forum (and also on the Hubs themselves), learn from the comments, and apply what you have learned to articles that you write in a different account.  (And you could then choose never to write as FelineFrance again, if you so wished.)

You are already anonymous here. No one here knows who FelineFrance is - unless you tell them/us. For all we know, you could already have about 1000 other HubPages accounts and you could be posting this just to get a reaction.  (I'm really kidding, just to make a point.) When you feel confident enough to do so, you can reveal as much or as little as you want to about yourself.  But you, like a lot of other people here, can choose to remain relatively anonymous.

Also, if/when you do publish online you will probably learn that it takes a lot of work to become noticed by more than just a few people!  The lack of readership is something of the norm, to be honest.  It takes work to get people to know that you have written something and to read it, and if you don't do the work involved to get people to read what you have written, your writing can easily sit for a long time without attracting much attention at all.

I agree wholeheartedly with psycheskinner's and Open Thoughts' posts.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

It's not just writing.  Any time you fear anything, face your fear.

More than any type of work, writing deals with rejection and the constant fear of not being good enough to showcase your work.  Being resilient is crucial to being a writer.

I suggest you take baby steps when it comes to writing.  At first, read a lot of books and find favorite authors.  Next, join a writing group or latch onto a trusted instructor or mentor.  As you write, find a critique group.  If you don't feel comfortable as a participant, show up and just listen to the work of other writers.  Take classes and attend conferences.  Hang out and establish friendships with writers, editors and other literary folk.

Don't think about writing as competition.  There are plenty writers who are published or trying to get published.  If you feel like you have something to offer, then go after the writing.  Write, write, write.  But like a an experienced cook with a recipe, make it yours.

Learn how to graciously take criticism, but leave yourself open to learn from it.  Every writer has a different voice.  Find yours and go from there.  If you continue to have doubts, you will be defeated and will not experience growth.

I am proud of the work I do, and I "own" whatever I create.  When I write, I put my name on it.  As a writer, I am a real person.

I am.  Therefore, I write.

6. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Keep writing, do not give up. Like music, amd all other things, you will find your style and niche at some point.

7. profile image0
    Valemanposted 12 years ago

I think we all have certain things which we fear will be ridiculed.  But this is no reason for not doing it.  You may be an excellent writer, but no one will ever get to know if you don't publish.  I am not a particularly good writer, and constantly have to refer to my dictionary to spell even the simplest of words.  Yet this doesn't stop me writing, because I get pleasure from doing so.  Not everyone can be William Shakespeare, which is a good thing, as I can't understand a word of his writings.  Even if someone does not like what you have written, it will not be the end of the world.  As long as you enjoyed writing it, then go for it.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I think the things about preferring to remain anonymous and the worry of writing boring stuff are two separate issues.  On a site like this you don't need to worry about anyone knowing who you are (if you don't want them to).  Were you to write a book, you could use a pen name.

As far as the "boring thing" goes; tons of my writing is boring - and that doesn't stop me.  lol  lol  I write what I want to write, and aim to do a good job of it, depending on the setting.  I don't think you can worry about whether someone will find something boring, because what anyone writes is always going being seen as "boring" by someone who isn't interested in the subject.

Some types of articles are kind of non-exciting anyway.  They may be of the type that is supposed to remain objective and neutral.  Some kinds of writing are more engaging and "fun" or moving than the more objective, neutral, kind; so, again, all anyone can do is the best he can (with whatever type of writing he's doing).

I suppose, maybe, what may help is to imagine one invisible reader when you're writing, and imagine how you'd express what you have to say if that person were sitting across a coffee-table table from you.  Imagine you're that person's friend.  If, on the other hand, you're writing something (like an academic paper, known for being "dry"), don't even think about "boring" - because unless someone is interested in the subject, most such pieces of "dry" writing will be seen as "boring" by someone.

I'd say you should just write some Hubs (provided they aren't "purely personal", which is discouraged on here - and you could look up what that means if you're not sure). Aim to stay within the latest TOS, check your spelling and grammar before publishing, and take it from there.  Let whatever you write be up for a week or so and see how it does (score-wise), as well as seeing what comments you get.  If it doesn't look like it's doing well then maybe go to "extreme Hub make-over" in the forums, and ask for some feedback.   

So, go for it.  If nothing else works, look around at some of the crud that gets posted on the Internet.  It will probably change your perspective with regard to how "scary" Internet writing really is. 

(Lots of people say long-winded forum posts, like this one  roll are boring.  As I said, someone will always find something boring or else just not keep reading.  I think, basically, each writer just has to do his own thing and not worry about who likes it or doesn't.)   smile

9. profile image49
    FelineFranceposted 12 years ago

Thank all of you guys for your feedback.

10. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

If it stinks no one will read it, so there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Your typing looks fine, just go for it you don't need to use your real name or anything. No one who matters is going to put you down.

Even if you aren't that good(which I am sure is not the case), you still need to practice to get better. Best of luck

11. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I am a Creative Writing Teacher with very harsh and high standards of writing.. If you write something and want a critique I'll help. I'll give you shortcuts and exercises that will help you become a better/faster writer as well. But the first step is just to write something. So get at it. If you need a topic start here: "The first memory I ever had was..."

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you have to just write from your heart, and relax, write for your self, and it doesn't matter what other people think. It's what you think. If you love writing, enjoy it!  I just finished watching this movie, and I can say everything he says is correct, and like he says on there let your music out before you die. Your music is your writing. I'm sure if you watch it you will feel differently afterwards about your writing! smile
      http://www.humanrestore.com/spiritual-health/the-shift/

12. J McGloin profile image60
    J McGloinposted 12 years ago

Writing is very personal as you know. I know a couple of people, whom after learning from great life teachers, got on and wrote books. If you're in business, you can write about your profession and use it as a brochure. How great would it be to hand someone your book with a particular page noted just for their circumstance? You can write an instruction manual if you're passionate about a particular hobby.
    You might start by making a journal with your thoughts, then translating them into something more structured.
    The best thing to do is just keep writing - about anything! As with anything, the more you do it, the better you become. I would also take up the kind and generous offer for help and tips from RS Hutchinson.
    Best of luck. I look forward to your success!

13. Karanda profile image80
    Karandaposted 12 years ago

I know where you're coming from and I think all writers feel that 'stage fright' at one time or another. Writing for me is a release. When there's no-one else to talk to, when I have to speak my mind, I can do it through the written word.

The only way to improve is to keep writing and reading. The more you read the more you absorb other writers exercising their craft.

I'm not sure which is more important, to read more or to write more but I know both will go a long way in helping you to overcome your nerves about writing for others. Best of luck.

14. SummerRain profile image59
    SummerRainposted 12 years ago

I know the feeling... Sometimes, I have to just put myself out there. Usually, it's all in my head. Don't forget about the Kudos you will receive, too. Everyone is different and everyone has an opinion. If I don't share my gift to the world, then I will get rusty, dusty, and back on the shelf- my talent will go...

Have courage! We can do this!
    The only way to improve is through practice, practice, practice. Take some creative writing courses, if you can smile

Good luck!

1. profile image49
      FelineFranceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh thank you everyone

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)