What do you do to make extra money from home?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. SuccessfromHome profile image61
    SuccessfromHomeposted 12 years ago

What do you do to make extra money from home?

1. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I run a gigolo service,lmao. Wait no wonder I'm broke sad

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Hubpages, Wizzley, Infobarrel, Webanswers and about ten of my own sites.

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

10 sites! That is a lot! I knew you had a couple sites, but wow. How do you organize all of them?

1. profile image0
        BenjaminBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went nuts and now have 7 websites and like 8 other blogs. Needless to say I only put effort into a couple and the blogs are more so for linking purposes. Creating a big content network that's one of the ways to make a good chunk on the internet, keeping up with that network can and will drive you mad at times.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Writing brings in a little, and there are other things you can do to earn actual money, but if you are the "home CEO" you earn by being a good manager of resources.
    Home management can take the form of planning, budgeting, cooking, maintaining and doing a lot of things you would pay others for if you were away at "work".

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always said my mom worked 3 jobs: She was a teacher, a wife, and a mother.  And she is excellent at all 3.  She's not a teacher anymore, but still has a day job.

4. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

We haul off scrap metal and sell it for junk.

1. SunSeven profile image62
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I buy it and resell. smile

2. Garrett Mickley profile image78

I used to do this with my grandfather!

5. XyberSpace profile image62
    XyberSpaceposted 12 years ago

How do you earn if the topic is well covered and it is the only topic you know...so sad sad

6. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

@XyberSpace, SuccessfromHome is not asking how to earn extra money from home. She's asking what others do to earn extra money. Dependent on their responses, she would perhaps, and likely suggest other creative ways for them to earn additional money, based on what they currently do. AND even if this is the only topic she knows, every day is a day for growth and learning. Be nice...perhaps you've been in XyberSpace too long!

1. SunSeven profile image62
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you both the same person?

I could be wrong, but I believe XyberSpace was implying that they are the ones who only know one subject, and it's well covered.

7. WriteAngled profile image76
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Years ago, I used to sell stuff on eBay in the metaphysical section. I would buy old brassware and silver-plated stuff for pennies in charity shops: goblets, plates, bells, candlesticks. I'd put a few pieces together, add some joss sticks or incense and charcoal I had bought wholesale and put it up for auction as an "altar set". I would get back way more than I had paid. I also sold gemstone beads, sculptures and polished and unpolished chunks of gemstones, which made a little.

Now I work as a freelance from home, translating medical documents and indexing books, I don't have time for eBay any more. Anyway, eBay has changed for the worse in my view.

I do occasionally hunt for cheap books in charity shops to resell on Amazon Marketplace. Certain titles can be quite profitable. I recently downloaded the Amazon barcode reader for my new phone. This lets me scan a barcode and instantly see the Amazon prices for that title. However, I haven't had time to use it yet.

1. profile image0
      sb1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the buying and selling books idea.  The phone barcode scanner is genius!

If you don't mind my asking, which barcode reader and for which phone?

8. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I used to sell corporate books to businesses from home.  It was very profitable as I got paid straight fees just for accepting our trial offers.  But it got boring because I missed office interaction. So I went back to work in the office.

1. javaoverride profile image60
      javaoverrideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sounds intresting how would one go about doing that as i hate the interaction and like working alone with one one to bother me while i work smile

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
        Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I found their ad in the newspaper.  It was years ago when my kids (I have two) were still small and my husband and I were trying to save money on babysitter.  This company gave me a list of companies to call every week, and paid $15 per accepted trial offer... if they don't like the books, they can return them in 30 days.  The catch (there is always a catch) is if they forget to return the books within 30 days, they get billed.  They paid straight, no taxes deducted, so at the end of the year I had to pay lots of taxes.  It was an easy job, but I missed the camaraderie in the office.  But It gave me experience to do sales which I never had before.  Because of that experience, I got a job working for Canon.  If you like telemarketing, there are companies who allow their employees to work from home.  You can also do fundraising and get paid.  I used to do fundraising for political parties, too.  Good luck!

9. smanty profile image60
    smantyposted 12 years ago

Well, generally I don't really go out and try to make extra money, but if an opportunity presents itself, I may jump on it. Originally, I really tried hard to make money as a freelance writer online, but my energy in the subject began to trickle. I had once found this new forum who paid $0.50 for every post and it also paid you 100% of all of your referral's earnings. I made about $450 within 2 weeks, but they shut their earning opportunities down because they were losing a lot of money.

I just got a letter in the mail that invited me to participate in mailing letters or something for IBM. They are going to pay me $15 for every successful drop off, and there will be only 1 per month. It's not much, but it's a little bit of money for only 5 minutes a month.

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that forum posting must of been pretty awesome! Too bad they shut the earning opportunities down.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)