Is there such a thing as too much freedom?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

I used to think, no. The more the beter. But with the on-set of all the networking, and the problems in the world. The Bulling, the political fear mongering, the fighting overseas..?

I still believe Freedom is esential, but I wounder how to inject personal responsibility into it?

you thoughts, would be interesting to read, thanks.  smile

1. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand your point. However, how does restricting freedom create responsibility? It realy doesn't. Legislating morality and ethics is a fools erand. I say that because the unintended consequences seem to out weigh the benefits.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mankind has legislated morality...forever.   Stealing and assault, etc., and even lying are moral issues.   And who's gonna say those shouldn't be legislated?   Surely no one.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
          Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we've been legislating morality forever. Mostly we've just been formalizing property rights. Sure, there's a morality behind it, but laws like "turning left on Sundays" would be a better example of "legislating morality".

1. profile image0
            Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of these days man, we need to punch each other in the face and then have a beer. It is hard not to respect you.

2. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The founding fathers said the U.S. constitution was designed based on the assumption it was for a morale people. It was a response to an immoral, tyrannical ruler/government. However, if people do not use their freedom responsibly, then more and more laws have seemed to have public support to come into being in response. I don't like it but I guess it means that when people do not behave morally, then this make fertile ground for more laws and the growth of tyranny.

1. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, MsDee, it was.

Unfortunately when you reject God as our country has, all morality, right and wrong, become subjective, and thus all actions and choices begin to be seen as euqal in their moral value.

And that is not a good thing.

Nietzsche said, "There is no thing in itself, all things are valued by their affect upon another thing". And that includes morals. They are set as they are valued by their affect upon Society as a whole, and the individual. If that affect is bad, or corrosive, then it is immoral. If that affect is good, or of a gian in it affects, it is seen as moral.

It is a shame the Moral Equivalists have siezed control of our Educational Institutions and are even now corrupting our children's minds. And a bigger shame that we, America, have allowed it.

1. Ms Dee profile image85
          Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, well said. We Americans have allowed ourselves to be duped into letting go of what so many paid for with their very lives. Very sad.

2. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey TMM, apparently you haven't yet learned that it take a consciously active person to bring objective vision to one's life, otherwise all is subjective to begin with.

It doesn't actually matter whether or not, they/you or I, have a belief in a god.

3. MOEFLATS profile image67
      MOEFLATSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You cannot force a person to do something just because it is the right thing to do.  If the person is not doing it of their own free-will, then it doesn't really count.  We have a group out to do just that very thing.  If you are targeted, you can be made to feel a host of awful physical sensations.  Through subliminal technology, it is possible to transmit disgusting thoughts to your imagination as punishment for violating Biblical Laws.  Being as we ALREADY HAVE these sorts of human-rights violations going on now, we certainly do not need any FURTHER restrictions on our free-will.  We would be so closely controlled that we would not have ANY room for free thought.
             This can actually happen to you because the "fast frequency" can cause you to temporarily lose your grip on reality, especially if your mind has been weakened by sleep deprivation, gangstalking and electronic harassment.  People who have been mentally-broken  unquestioningly obey whatever they are subliminally "told".  They are all connected to each other because the synchronicity of their actions is impossibly perfect.  I've been told by them that "we are all one".  This would indicate that they probably do not think anything like us.  It's more of a "swarm mentality".   
              It's hard enough to think for oneself nowadays as we are continually pelted with subliminal:  programming, media in the form of propaganda PLUS being targeted for electronic harassment from what I've heard are "Karma Police".  To me, this is dressing up mind-control and psychological torture and trying to make it look like a good thing. 
           What this phenomena reminds me of is The Inquisition.  Under the pretense that certain people in authority represented God, people were slaughtered, tortured and robbed for insignificant or fabricated "crimes".  These people call their gross infringement on our personal liberties "justice".  HAH!  It's so bad sometimes that you actually must watch what you are THINKING(or think nothing at all) to avoid being electronically-harassed. 
           The closest thing to freedom that you can get nowadays is learning to find the "Salvation Code" which is ALWAYS included in the electronic assault.  It really does FEEL like you are being drawn closer to God.  I deal with it like THIS:  I think of this "Lifeline Frequency" as God's voice but do not necessarily trust anyone involved with this process of "sorting me out".  You cling to it to avoid having your mind defiled by the most disturbing and disgusting ideation.  You do it for those around you so you cannot be made to think awful things about them.  By realizing  that it is out of benevolence on your part, it's easier to hear "The Whisper of God" because your thoughts are good. Good thoughts make "The lifeline Frequency" easier to hear.  You IGNORE the:  disturbing thoughts, voices in the part of your imagination that processes sound calling you derisive names and loud noises. 
            Because this whole process appears to be a sorting out of "good people" from "bad people", it would appear that our Government is fulfilling Biblical Prophecy.  I do NOT approve of how this is being conducted.  People who are so much better than me got sucked down into the whirlpool of "The Disturbing Frequency" instead of being saved.   Nonetheless, if you believe that the slow frequency is God's voice and you ignore everything else - your mind will be at peace.  Instead of one group harassing you, see it as a battle between Good and Evil.  It's like 2 different organizations are sending us 2 messages that are contradictory to each other.  One is every disgusting and awful thing you could possibly imagine which "takes over your mind" and the other one "Saves Your Soul".   

Hypothetically speaking:  IF our Government is fulfilling Biblical Prophecy, just how FAR are they going to take this?  It's so awful right now that the only way to get anything done without having awful thoughts is to listen for that "Lifeline frequency" and not let it go.  Just one distraction in your mind and you can fall into a tempest of repulsive/disturbing ideation.  I consider myself to be Christian, but I do listen to very loud music which blocks out ALL the external messages from time to time.  This is the closest thing to free thought.  The question is: "If this is the voice of God, is it wise to shut him out"?  If I focus on it for too long (4 hours or more), it feels like I'm getting weaker. 
              Because we can be forced to actually have NO MENTAL FREEDOM WHATSOEVER, it is best to go with God and stay there.  We've got so many brainwashed people out there that normal reality seems to have evaporated.  If we are acting/thinking impulsively, we are much more vulnerable to the "Bad Frequency".  It can TEMPT you to think/do something that is a sin and turn right around and mentally torture you for "taking the bait".   Ultimately, an attempt will be made to take over your mind once it is sufficiently weakened by these tempt-you-beam-you sessions.  So the "Karma Police" can give you sinful thoughts and THEN punish you for giving in to them.  Think of it as "psychic entrapment". 
            We CHOOSE Life or Death by WHICH frequency we listen to and our personal choices.  For some reason or other, doing/thinking something which is very intense causes the ringing to become much louder.  In such cases, I often listen to very loud music to get away from ALL external noise.  It is good to know how to "listen to God" under just about any circumstance, however.....so half the time I'll take the heat and decode it into "The Good Frequency".
            The Ultimate question we should be asking ourselves is:  do we want to risk losing that unique thing that makes us ourselves or not.  People who have "lost their minds" seem normal, but cause the "bad vibes" to get louder.  They all seem to be "having a good time" - but if you do the things they do, your ears start ringing big-time.   It is in situations like this that you really need to focus on the "Lifeline Frequency".   That means pretty much ANY interaction with just about everyone is a test of your ability to "listen to the good frequency" while interacting with them.  Be careful - they know when you are "listening to God" and will attempt to distract you so that you lose your grip on it and "fall" into the "fast frequency" which is a tempest of awfulness.

Cagsilposted 12 years ago

No.

How to bring personal responsibility into it? You're joking right?

Freedom requires conscious responsibility of self to acquire. wink

dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

freedom is not attempted to be earned by folks caig, they just claim it, and think I am free can do anything I want to.

no self controls anymore

1. Cagsil profile image71

Freedom is assumed automatic, depending on where that particular individual lives. It's a falsely based assumption.
        You're not actually free to do whatever you like and to think you, shows you don't understand freedom or even your own individual rights.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

You have the right to do with your property as you see fit so long as it does not interfere with another person's right to do the same.

This is freedom.

Doing whatever you want.... period. 

This is not freedom, this is tyranny.

3. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

I agree personal responsiblity is needed, so many people think that because they are free to do what they want that makes it alright.

There is also no such thing as too much restraint, which it seems these days people don't know how to practice.

dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

agree Diane.

This would show how little that they actually know.
      Individual level, I'll agree that too much restraint isn't bad. However, if the restraint is forced by others, then there is a such thing as too much. wink

4. maplethorpej profile image61
    maplethorpejposted 12 years ago

Balance is essentially the key.

As Cagsil stated, "Freedom requires conscious responsibility of self to acquire."

We can't control the actions of other people, countries or religions. Our responsibility is to the only thing we can control: our decisions.

5. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 12 years ago

Yes and no. Does freedom also mean no law? Because it can be argued that the law restricts our freedoms. We need freedom but only to a certain extent.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

Nonsense.

1. simeonvisser profile image68
        simeonvisserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why? Shall we abandom the law and allow anything to take place?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

I agree with another poster on this forum: how are we going to define freedom?

Basically freedom is the golden rule: "Do anything you voluntarily agree to do, so long as that does not interfere with the property rights of another individual."

With that basic guide, there doesn't really need to be any restrictions to freedom.

6. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 12 years ago

Never. If you think there is to much freedom ask the citizens of, Libya, Yemen, Russia(though it has improved) China, North Korea, Iraq Just to name a few.

7. profile image0
    Digsposted 12 years ago

Yes, there is such a thing as to much freedom and it is called anarchy.  Why not ask "Is there such a thing as to much booze or drugs or fat."  To much of anything eventually kills you!  Living in a civilized society suggests group recognition of a system of restaints that while personally restrictive, constructively reinforce the best interests of group survival.  More commonly referred to as ethics or morality!

Ask yourself "not enough of what led to the collapse of Rome, Greece, Ancient Egypt, etc., you fill in the blanks.  It is always to much of something like lack of restraint, a morale center, ethical conduct that over time foretold destruction.  Look beyond the tip of your "popular culture nose," and try to read the writing on the wall!  There is "nothing new under the sun."  If you need guidelines for failure, I suggest you read a bit more history and listen less to popular media and television.  Good luck my friend.

8. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Before considering this question it is necessary to define freedom.  Personal freedom is just how we experience the freedoms that society allows.

9. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

My opinion is degrees of freedom are directly related to the size of population.
    Little population out in the boonies - can do whatever without intruding on others which might get one into conflict. Having a population of one billion, as does China and India, is another story.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I thought those people who died, died for freedom? Not just the freedom you support...

11. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

Moeflats, can I interest you in a delightful little tinfoil hat?

1. Cagsil profile image71

lol lol lol

2. MOEFLATS profile image67
      MOEFLATSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tinfoil doesn't work.........however Shield-It-Super (sold by a company that specializes in reducing electronic harassment)does.  I like the way they say on each order I've made that:  This product was packaged by a REAL human!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)