How can you tell you found your soulmate..or is there such a thing?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 12 years ago

I think you know you've had a soulmate experience when after all is done, you know what to do in life. You get it. You got it all figured out. It doesn't matter if you ended up together. Soulmate relationships have to be positively transformative.

If you're just obsessed, that's not it. That's hormones.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is correct. I have a hub about this. It doesn't mean that you can't have a strong sexual attraction for a soul-mate, but soul-mates can come and go from our lives when the time comes and we've learned all we need to learn from them.

2. cheerleader22 profile image59
    cheerleader22posted 12 years ago

i don't think it's posibile but other people might think it's easy but it's really not

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I don't know that I believe in soul 'mates' but I've known people where there was almost a psychic connection. I always wondered if our souls weren't drawn to interact with each other across lifetimes. Because the connections were uncanny.  Insane as it sounds.

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I think when people find that they don't have to ask if that's what it is.  If they have to ask, it isn't it.

5. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Soul mates are spiritual connections made. It does not have to be opposite sex relationship, you don't even have to know the person in person that is. A spiritual connection can be made from a million miles away.

6. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I do not believe in soul-mate beyond the use of the phrase to describe someone very close.  At any deeper level I think it is just that the other person reflects some deep part of yourself back to you because they either have the same configuration, or they have its response.

7. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Do you mean a soul mate or a twin flame?

Because a soul mate is someone from the order or family of souls to which you belong. A soul mate is like a sibling or an ideological compatriot. It's just someone you experience dramas with throughout many lifetimes. Whereas a twin flame is who you are destined to merge souls with to acheive a higher density of existence. And a physical/romantic/sexual relationship with this person is only a coping mech for the agony of your spiritual separation from each other.

I think you can reasonably suspect you have met this person when you feel immediate and continuous certainty about your relation to this person while at the same time having your own behavior inverted when you are around this person due to the newfound (or not) awareness of the stifling limitations of the physical world.

http://www.keylonticdictionary.org/onli … amily-tree

ceciliabeltranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

very few people know about the twin flame but yes, absolutely that's what I meant.

1. profile image0

I do believe in soul-mates, but not in twin flames. To me, that's just the Hollywood romanticized version of the real deal. Reincarnations don't always keep the same relationship... a husband can become your daughter in another life, a brother can become your wife in the next. That's the truth about soul-mates. You will always be missing someone who's close to you because reincarnations don't always coincide. That doesn't mean that this missing link is a twin flame. It's just a missing piece of your spiritual circle, of your circle of soul-mates. We tend to add drama to our lives by turning a very normal event into a sequel of Titanic. There is nothing wrong with dreaming, as long as one understands that it's our way of adding a little spark to an otherwise monotonous life.

twin flame is different from a soulmate in that you were one person's soul that expanded so much in growth that upon return to finish your mission, you have to be contained in two people.

so a twin flame is the mirror, the other you. I however have a lot to say about the spark in relation to a monotonous life.

For instance, I call this guy...an adonis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E46BhMIRujI
          the purpose of adonis is to awaken the spring in women.

to return the spark of life...and sometimes you need an archetype to do that.

Adonises are not real, they are projected onto young unattainable pretty boys...we have a lot of them. Robert Pattinson, Zac Efron. As the old adonises enter manhood, new ones emerge to be "worshipped" they do serve an important psychological function to the collective.

1. profile image0

Cecilia, this is very interesting. I still don't believe that a soul could go from one body to split into two bodies. I believe that there is no such thing as time and all of our past, present, and future lives are happening simultaneously, which means that our soul is split into many bodies and not just two.
            I don't know if you're familiar with the work that Dr. Brian Weiss has done, but I'm sending you this link which is the first of twelve audio clips of a one-hour radio interview where he explains the latest findings he's come to learn through hypnosis.
            If you do get to listen to it, I'd love for you to share your thoughts with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etse1Qxw … re=related

I am not a big fan of Glee, even though I'm a musician, I know many people who love the series. He might be an adonis, but by the looks of it he was awakening the spring in young men, not young women. smile Nothing wrong with it. I'm just sharing my thoughts. wink

I do tend to agree with you, although I am careful to believe anything. As my art history professor once said, "I don't believe in anything, but believe in everything." That's actually a statement that celebrates open-mindedness.
              It can be genetic memory. My work revolves around symbolism and collective "memories"and do suspect past life "memories" are genetic in nature. If symbolism can recur and passed on, then it leads that individual traumas can imprint upon the genes and become dominant in a person who inherited that gene.

However, I have had subjects who believe that the "past life" experience did happen in the past life when it was obviously a current life type of symbolism that they are saying but the conscious mind is rejecting it and assigning it to a sensation of "past life".

The belief in Twin Flames or soulmate for that matter is more archetypal than factual and it is entirely different language. So if we were to remain in the level of sensation, there really is a twin flame feeling and I myself HAVE experienced for a time and we were connected as though we were one brain. What it was is that we became so attuned to each other that our systems harmonized.  In Buddhism and Hinduism, they believe that the life force does expand and break up in two or even three lives and these people meet and share a life cause or a mission.

As for the gay Adonis, I beg to disagree, women (including myself) are all over this guy. The guy is a total dork as himself but as BLAINE, he is an archetype. Just like Robert Pattinson's Twilight persona. http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/blogs/2011 … c-concert/

If you're too much of something of the opposite, you tend to gravitate to things that balance you off. Because I'm too ancient text, analysis paralysis, teenage dream kind brings me back center.
              Well, I tend to ignore gay or not gay signals...I kind of just get drawn to whatever tugs the subconscious...its not like I'm going to marry this pretty boys. They are just for whatever they purpose they serve in the psyche.

1. recommend1 profile image61
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you considered that these 'feelings' and connections (that are tangible) might rooted in much more simple psychological explanations.  Like the concept of a god there is no 'evidence' for any idea of souls, but there is considerable evidence that we respond to each other in many complex ways and close relationships with kindred thinkers have many possibilities of reflecting each other, same lines of thinking, some element of recognition of who we are but in another ?

I wrote something before this but then I realized I misunderstood you and deleted it.

I consider many things but you have to understand that a human being can speak in many different levels and jargons. You cannot refute sensate things with factual things. You just have to understand the language being used.

For example what idea of souls are you talking about? Is it platonic, vedic, Christian? When you know the language, then you can talk in that jargon.

Many people here tend to get muddled by that. You are talking of soulmates as an experience in a relationship and then comes a discussion of the existence of a soul, which is saying the line:

"the moon lives in the lining of your skin"

is a literal thing. some words are archetypal, symbolic and poetic. soul is as descriptive of an idea that holds no place in the literal or the logical.

don't refute the poetry, it's really quite moot.

But for the record, stanford defines the soul as the psyche itself:
                  "The theories of the Hellenistic period, by contrast, are interested more narrowly in the soul as something that is responsible specifically for mental or psychological functions."

When I use metaphoric language, people naturally assume that I cannot operate in other levels. It is really funny.

You seem very sure of what I should understand and what I don't understand big_smile

You are suggesting that we can genetically 'remember' symbols which is a far jump from genetically coded behaviours, and to suggest that a personal trauma can imprint itself in the genes would seem to be a really long jump too far; so far in fact that it appears to be trying to stretch the facts to fit the idea.

2. profile image0

Alright Cecilia... I'll give you that. To understand you I must try to get into your brain and figure out how you think. It's not always simple, but I'm trying. I'm a meat and potatoes type of gal, you see? big_smile
                About past lives being symbology related to genetic memories (I think that's what you meant) I had a first-hand experience where I had a repeated dream of being someone else, someone that I know I'm not related to by blood since my ancestors did not come from that particular continent. I went to see a hypnotherapist to figure out what this was all about and under hypnosis I was able to give a detail account of who I was and who my loved ones were. I gave details that I had no way of knowing and, after much research, I was able to verify that everything I said while in hypnosis was correct. A few months after that, I bumped into a psychic medium that was a complete stranger to me. This actually happened while waiting in line in the supermarket, and she felt compelled to relay a message to me. She basically told me that there was a spirit surrounding me and it was this same woman that I had come to recognize as myself in a past life. She told me her first and last name, what her life was all about, and a few other details about herself and her family. Everything matched and no, it was not another case of a psychic using psychology to get the info out of me. So, it's hard for me to believe that this is genetic memory when I know for a fact that I have no genetic link to this woman.
                As for the adonis... you might be right. I haven't figure out what I'm attracted to, or what compensates me but I'll keep my eye open for that now that you've made me aware.
                Hinduism and Buddhism offer some of the most logical options to why we exist. There are things that I don't agree with, but they merely involve the ritual practices of these religions. I came from an island where spiritual practices were closely linked to the Afro-cuban religion (santeria) and it took a lot of self analysis to come to the realization that we don't need to mantain rituals in order to show our devotion or ideals. So in a way it's a personal path for me.
                My understanding of the spirit world is based on my personal experiences and the many revelations I've had throughout my life. I have read books coming from all paths of life and offering very different views, but at the end of it all, I've come to make my own mind about it. Dr. Weiss' studies have been an eye opener for me because, unlike me he wasn't born into a family of psychic mediums, and his work showed the evidence that would turn a skeptic into a believer. And I can appreciate that.
                Cecilia, as always... I appreciate your points of view. You are one smart lady! big_smile

HI Klara,

Well, I have trained under a shaman once who took me on like I was handpicked. So he became my friend and we talked often only that it felt more like I was in training and I just didn't want to admit it. He was a physicist by trade and he did get occasionally  commissioned to find a treasure or two buried by the japanese.  (yes he found them)

So I am not a stranger to "psychic" things.

My perspective comes from my own dreams. I dreamt of hebrew letters falling from the sky and I said, "how am I going to put them back in order?" to which a rumbling voice from the ground said, ABRE which is also Habre...hebrew and then a thick crypt opened. I have not been exposed to them being born and raised catholic. it made an impression because i was drawn to them and studied them in detail.

Years later, I decided to figure out my genetic roots and sent my sample to a gene project. I found my genetic roots were from Halogroup 9, the group that is unique to the ones in Russia and Israel. Then I found out that my mother's maiden name is Jewish, a Levite name. My great grandfather has no known ancestor in the my country. His wife's last name is also jewish from catalan. the main role of my ancestors who bear that name is to guide people in the correct use of the Hebrew letters. Which is why in my country my mother's name means "guide".

who would have thought that an asian catholic woman would have anything to do with Jews.

On that note, I was having a quiet dinner with my friend, when we got to talk about why his father had beaten him as a child. He is very distressed about this and said that out of all he knows, that remains a mystery to him as well as why he doesn't seem to get any compensation for his life work.

I started to cough uncontrallably and was surprised that I was speaking...and I said to him "you murdered a nation of priests, you will not get compensated" and with this, I saw in my mind small cups of water being poured in to a huge swirling bowl and my voice said "you have to find them, find them all".

Then I coughed again and when it subsided, I saw that people were staring at me in the restaurant. Was it my voice? My friend said that it sounded different.  I was aware of what happened but knew also that it was nothing that I intended or wanted to do and yes, it was too creepy for words. I still wonder to this day, what that was all about, did some spirit make a puppet out of me? Did my gag reflex make me spew out nonsense?

SO after that, my friend realized that he was a fragment, a fragment of the mythical figure ramses. and the nation of priests were the jews... It makes for a good story. but what I found interesting is that he didn't say he was ramses. he said that he was a fragment. He says, that he will be beaten by his father for 1000 lifetimes to experience firsthand the cruelty of the deeds of his past-life ancestor. You can say that he now is at peace with his past.

I bet if you bothered, you will find a connection, a genetic connection to the life of that woman.
                  While there are many unexplained past life experiences out there, in most occasions, the past life  that people remember are in the present life or a fragment of the old life that they bear in their genes.

But thank you for appreciating, klara.

8. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I don't believe in soul mates concept as well.. that's all in the movies..
    it sells tickets..humans are fickled creatures who want one thing and get another

9. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

A soul mate is the one who loves you despite of your idiocy, your selfishness, your obsession, your cruelty, and your endless vicissitude.

A soul mate is the one who, for whatever unfathomable reason, sees that you are good, insists on it, fights for it even when you are certain you are not.

A soul mate is the product of time, seeded with hormones and joyous sex, yes, but grown tall and strong by the intertwining of two beings whose roots grow deep into the fecund soil of shared experience, roots watered by the tears that flow from collective misery and from forgiven wounds clumsily dealt betwixt. All fertilized by joy.

A soul mate is an instrument, an object of flesh and bone upon which the song of an entire life is played, the melody not always perfect, but the perduring thing, the song itself, the running tally of time spent not alone. The notes are not the song; the song is the song, and it cannot be sung all at once.

That is what a soul mate is to me. I married mine, though I've often been too stupid or self absorbed to see it. She loves me anyway, so I'm good. big_smile

This should be in the poetry section big_smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But it don't rhyme.
        Poetry must, in time,
        Make sounds that go together,
        Like tequila, salt and lime.

Or something.
        big_smile

It is not necessary for poetry to rhyme.

I think you nailed it without rhyme, a bit more work on the flow, remove one or two or three superfluous words and maybe group it up a little more effectively - but it is closer to poetry than most of the stuff in the poetry section.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
            Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What? Superfluous words? In my prose? EGAD, ARE YOU INSANE?

lol.

I am chronically wordy. That's why I write novels. You get some room for fat, and hope people see it as "voice" rather than crap writing. LOL.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That little snippet alone captures it beautifully, imo.

10. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Who knew a guy who draws stick men could be such a romantic?! smile

11. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

My soul mate was my mate in life. She truly was the other half of my heart. This is strictly written about the world we inhabit.

Marriage is supposed to make two people one. If you don't have this well started or in place before the marriage this person is not a soul mate. It's one of the reasons there are so many divorces. People don't take the time to find out if they are compatible enough to spend the rest of their lives together.

My wife and I both knew that we were meant to be together from the moment we met. Yet we took time to find out if we were truly compatible before we tied the knot. She was part of me even though I actually forgot we were married, along with about everything else I had known.

We could and did finish sentences for each other before we were married. For the most part unless asked we tried to avoid doing it though. My best explanation would be its kind of like looking in a mirror. If you know what the other is thinking your off to a good start.

The best advice I can give is if you think you find it, take time to be sure. It's not fun to wake up and find out things are not as you thought.

From personal experience what is written in the paragraph above happened to me. Two years after my wife died and while my memory was gone I remarried. At this point I had no recollection of my life before the memory loss.

I would say when you wake up in a bed next to someone "you don't remember" and still have love for them you have a soul mate. If on the other hand you wake up and find things are not as you expected you do not have a soul mate or even someone who truly loves you.

12. 4tune profile image60
    4tuneposted 12 years ago

I agree and believe in soul mates, maybe not meant to be forever but for a time.

You can even hate your soul mate I guess if leaving their lousy @ss made you a better stronger person all around then hell yeah, meant to be even if it totally sucked and hurt and you enormously, But then you don't even care to ever hear form them again can apply here too, Long as you came out better ans stronger for it, Maybe it was still a soul mate who knows.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)