Who are your favorite mystery authors?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Gale Force profile image60
    Gale Forceposted 14 years ago

Agatha Christie remains my number one favorite - she is the first mystery writer I ever read, when I was 14 years old or so. And her play The Mousetrap was the first play I ever saw, too.

Other favorite authors are ... Elizabeth Peters, Charlotte Macleod and Simon Brett.

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ellory Queen

2. dahoglund profile image70
    dahoglundposted 14 years ago

Although I haven't read him for awhile but I think Raymond Chandler and his followers are always good.I also think William X. Kienzle is very good.

3. Jane Grey profile image82
    Jane Greyposted 14 years ago

I love the sophisticated British mysteries by Dorothy Sayers, Wilkie Collins, and Agatha Christie best, because they are novels first, mysteries second.

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

5. gold400 profile image60
    gold400posted 14 years ago

I also like Agatha Christie. My gandmother had her full collection and I used to read them when I visited for the holidays.

Right now my favorites are Dean Koontz and Jonathan Kellerman.
    Both are fantastic writers first and their mysteries grab you from the first page and keep you running with them right to the last page.

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love these authors, too--Dean Koontz is my all time favorite, and has been for years and years. smile

Nora Roberts writes great mysteries, too, and I love the realistic characters, and the interaction between men and women...honest, candid, with no games or "I am woman, hear me roar" type female characters.

Iris Johansen is good, too--great plots, but all too often her female characters are the angry, chip on my shoulder type, and those get tiring sometimes, lol...but, I still read them once in awhile. lol

6. dfunzy profile image60
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

Arthur Conan Doyle
    Dashiell Hammett
    Raymond Chandler
    Chester Himes
    Rex Stout
    Elmore Leonard
    John D MacDonald
    Ross Macdonald

7. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Phyliss Whitney was my favorite in high school. One mystery writer I loved reading Charlotte Armstrong - The Gift Shop.

8. profile image0
    amcohenposted 14 years ago

Wow, that's a hard one. Of the classics, I love Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, and Ngaio Marsh,  Of the current writers, Ruth Rendell, Marcia Muller, and Sue Grafton are some of my very favorites.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a big mystery reader-- but I'm glad you mentioned Sue Grafton. Her settings around Southern California are the places I grew up in and I could picture them all so well.

9. josie hermit profile image59
    josie hermitposted 14 years ago

I'm reading a mystery, Moonstone by Willkie Collins, and so far it's proved to be good smile

10. resspenser profile image70
    resspenserposted 14 years ago

Robert B. Parker, Robert Crais and now Chelsea Cain.

11. profile image56
    Rosa Bergerposted 14 years ago

Donis Casey. I love expecially her Alafair Tucker mystery series.

12. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I've never gotten into reading adult mysteries, but right now I am reading "The Three Investigators" series to my kids.  They are loving the books.

13. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

The great Christie and Patricia Cromwell.

14. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Agatha Christie, Josephine Tey, Dorothy Sayers, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Elizabeth Peters, Kate Ross, Sharon Kay Penman (though I like her historical fiction better than her mysteries), Lindsey Davis, Ellis Peters...

I feel like I'm forgetting some favorites, but that's a good start. smile

15. timothyjward profile image89
    timothyjwardposted 14 years ago

I gotta go with Agatha Christie as well...

16. profile image53
    Reader103posted 12 years ago

My favorite mystery writer is Stuart Woods.  He brings back a lot of his characters in his stories.  I especially enjoy the Stone Barrington novels.  Stuart Woods always has surprise me at the end of the story.  Just when I think I have it figured out.  I have read all of his books to date.

17. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

All day long I will give the same answer: Dick Francis

18. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I love classic mystery authors like Agatha Christie and her peers-Sayers, Marsh, Chesterton, etc.  I also love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and R. Austin Freeman.  I try to read several sub-genres.  My favourite gothic writer is Mary Roberts Rinehart.  My favourite hard boiled writers are dashiel Hammett and Raymond Chandler.  Since I love cars I love to read lillian Jackson Brawn.  In general, I do not read current mystery writers who started writing after I was born-1976. There are exceptions, but as this is asking for my favourite...oh, and as you ask for one favourite overall-it has to be Agatha Christie.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is supposed  to read since I love CATS!
      oh dear.  I love typing with one hand.

2. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reading a Mary Roberts Rineheart book is really like traveling back in time!  I recall reading Circular Staircase when I was a young woman and loving it. Mysteries have always been my favorite fiction genre. I'd simply forgotten Rineheart until I read your post.

19. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 12 years ago

I love the opportunity to reply to this question, late though I am in finding it.

My absolute favorite contemporary mystery writers are:  Micheal Connelly (especially his Lincoln Lawyer series), Ian Rankin, Louise Penny, Laurie King, Ruth Rendall, Minette Walters, P.D. James, Caroline Graham, John Grisham, Scott Turow, Sue Grafton and Dick Francis. Unfortunately, Dick Francis died not long ago, but his son (who did research for him for many years) co-authored his last couple of books, so he will probably continue the Francis tradition. Will have to wait and see.

Favorite mystery writers from the genre's "golden age" include: Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh and Josephine Tey.

If there appears to be a preponderance of authors from the UK, that is not a coincidence.

20. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

Of all the many, I love two of the dozen or so books by Susan Isaacs.  I keep pulling for her to write another one from the talent that produced Shining Through and Magic Hour.  I know she has it in her!

21. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Rex Stout was always fun.

Not sure he belongs here, but:  early Tom Clancy.

John Grisham

Ellis Peters

Anne Perry

Dick Francis

Tony Hillerman!!!!

and... the most stellar Ngaio Marsh. 

I agree with the reviewers who say Christie should be compared to Marsh, not the other way around.  (But I do enjoy Dame Agatha too.)

22. PiaC profile image60
    PiaCposted 12 years ago

I too love Agatha Christie. I also love P.D. James, Anne Perry and more recently Kate Atkinson. I also loved Donna Tartt's The Secret History.

23. profile image0
    Valemanposted 12 years ago

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  I love all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and rarely go a day without either reading one, or watching some of the large collection of Sherlock Holmes DVDs I have.  I find Agatha Christie too complicated.  I usually am none the wiser when the crime has been solved than at the beginning.

1. JayeWisdom profile image89

Another Sherlockian!  I, too, have all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, plus all of the DVDs (from the BBC series starring Jeremy Brett, the definitive screen Sherlock, in my humble opinion). I also read SH pastiches, and some are pretty good, though some are awful, but I can't seem to help myself!  Can't get too much Sherlock Holmes....

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love Jeremy Brett.  Before I discovered him I didn't read Holmes regularily.

2. profile image0
        Valemanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Some actors played Sherlock Holmes, but Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes.  It was a shame though, that his manic-depression made Holmes take over his life.  Apparently, he couldn't put the character aside, when filming had finished.  The only Holmes stories I don't like are the several films, which have Holmes solving the mystery of Jack the Ripper.  The mixing of a fictional character with a real one, I never think is a good idea.  Peter Cushing was very good, but nothing to compare with Brett.  I always end every day with at least a couple of Brett's Sherlock, and even though I have seen them hundreds of times, I never tire of them.

2. SaMcNutt profile image60
      SaMcNuttposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I forgot about Sir Doyle. I do like the Victorian Era mystery novels.

24. JSParker profile image80
    JSParkerposted 12 years ago

I will mine this hub for future mystery reading!  Some great recommendations here.  My favorite mystery is usually the one I'm reading now, which at the moment is the first of the Wallander cases, "The Pyramid" by Swedish writer Henning Mankell.  I got into Swedish writers after being swept away with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy by Stieg Larsson.  If only there were more Larsson books!  Sigh.  So I'm making do with Mankell.  Next month...on to something else, although there are eight or so Wallander books.  Happy reading!

I haven't read the Wallander books, but recently watched DVDs of the first BBC season. I assume this is the same character? Really good stories, though I realize that TV treatments rarely match the books.

1. JSParker profile image80
        JSParkerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know about the BBC series, but checked with a friend who's read ALL the Wallander books, and, yes, you're right, it's the same character.  I may check out the series if it's available through Netflix.  Thanks!

2. Kate Spenser profile image74
      Kate Spenserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I too got into Swedish mystery/crime fiction to help me through my mourning period at the end of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. (Though I'm holding out hope that his longtime partner will finish and publish the 4th book...when I first read there were meant to be 12 books in the series I think I actually cried, knowing what could have been if Steig Larsson hadn't died!) Right now I'm reading Camilla Lackberg's The Ice Princess, which is the first of a trilogy. (I read the second one, The Preacher, before I realized it was part of a series!)  Have you tried any of Mankell's non-Wallander books? I've read a couple of the Wallander series but got sidetracked by more recent books of his, namely Kennedy's Brain and The Man From Beijing, both of which were FANTASTIC.  I'm not really sure why Sweden seems to produce some of the best crime fiction in the world given their comparatively low crime rate, but there you have it!

25. Morgan F profile image60
    Morgan Fposted 12 years ago

Agatha Christie for sure!

26. stargazer 01 profile image60
    stargazer 01posted 12 years ago

I would like to tell everyone about Merlin Fraser he is a writer and he has written three book 's please checkout his hub

27. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

Merlin was the first person to post a comment on a hub of mine.  His books combine mysteries with the supernatural.  Quite fascinating.

28. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 12 years ago

For those of you who like mystery writers ...and there seems to be quite a few, may I add to the list of Mystery Authors the name MERLIN FRASER ..he has a trilogy of books which  are a must to read for the lover of Mystery books...available on Amazon .

Merlin isnt a well known author but very worthy of a read ...I have read all three of his mystery novels and altough not my usual bedtime reading I have to confess I found them good reading....
    If I tell you that Merlin is a well respected member of HUBS then maybe you will give his books a read...if you do tell him where you learnt about his work I may be up for commission!! lol

29. Merlin Fraser profile image59
    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years ago

BLUSH !!!

1. stargazer 01 profile image60
      stargazer 01posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why are you blushing ? I am you under cover agent and I spread the word about your books !! so I am up for the commission Merlin x
      everyone please checkout two of Merlin sites www.lulu.com & www.amazon.com

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too! I have now sold 4 of Merlin's books on Amazon.com and 3 on co.uk smile)

Well worth a read folks! I have them listed in my top 10 best selling books hubs.

30. maven101 profile image72
    maven101posted 12 years ago

My top ten mystery writers and novels are :

1. Eric Ambler ( Passage of Arms )
    2. John le Carre' ( The Spy who came in from the Cold )
    3. Ken Follett ( Flight over Water )
    4. Michael Connelly ( The entire Harry Bosch series )
    5. John Sanford ( The entire Davenport series )
    6. Robert B. Parker ( The entire Spenser series )
    7. Jeffery Deaver ( The entire Lincoln Rhyme series )
    8. Graham Greene ( The Human Factor )
    9. Len Deighton ( The Ipcress File )
    10. Joseph Wambaugh ( The Secrets of Harry Bright )

31. SaMcNutt profile image60
    SaMcNuttposted 12 years ago

I don't read mystery novels in general but, I do like Anne Perry. I have only read the Charlotte and Thomas Pit series.

Someone said the other day that she helped her friend murder her father in Australia with a rock when she was a kid. Currently she lives in Scotland. I was wondering if anyone knew this to be true?

Actually, it was the friend's mother who was murdered by the two girls. Because they were young teens, they each only served five years in prison for the crime. The story is quite ghastly. The first blow to the mother's head with a brick did not kill her, so she was hit repeatedly until she died. If it had happened today, they two girls might have been tried as adults, for the crime was premeditated. The reason for the murder is because the girl's mother was divorcing her father, and the girl (Perry's friend) did not want to move away.  Ironic that Perry began writing murder stories as an adult, isn't it?

1. SaMcNutt profile image60
        SaMcNuttposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I actually loved her books but, had no idea that this was at all true. First I heard of it was Thursday. It is very interesting the transition into murder mysteries. Probably why she moved away from Australia.

Yes, it is an amazing story, isn't it? If I recall correctly, part of the prison release deal for both girls was that they never have any contact again.

1. Paradise7 profile image69
            Paradise7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that about Anne Perry.  That really turns me off her, it gives me the willies.

32. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

I like Dorothy Sayers, from WAY back, also someone new to me, the lady who fixed my computer turned me on to this author:

Margaret Frazer.

She writes period mysteries.  They're set in the medieval period with a group of traveling actors as the repeating characters.  Very cool!

33. Pollyannalana profile image61
    Pollyannalanaposted 12 years ago

Sandra Brown and Mary Higgens Clark has to be the best today I think. They always have fresh material and interesting from page one to the end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)